inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Faster than light speed!!!

Written By: Emman on 09/24/11 at 2:02 am

Scientists at CERN on September 22, 2011 have announced they have measured neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light, if this is confirmed by other scientists, it will have truly enormous implications for science and maybe society too. Things like sending information into the past and extra dimensions might be possible, this is a once in a century discovery(and that's why alot of other scientist remain skeptical).

Subject: Re: Faster than light speed!!!

Written By: Creeder on 09/24/11 at 3:52 am

Not possible.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/11 at 6:26 am

Scientists at CERN on September 22, 2011 have announced they have measured neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light, if this is confirmed by other scientists, it will have truly enormous implications for science and maybe society too. Things like sending information into the past and extra dimensions might be possible, this is a once in a century discovery(and that's why alot of other scientist remain skeptical).
Has the estate for Albert Einstein being inform of this?

Written By: Milkof1996 on 09/24/11 at 2:09 pm

Ok, Who divided by zero?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/11 at 2:19 pm

That would be awesome if we could time travel!

Back to the 80s anyone? ;D

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/11 at 3:51 pm

Count me in.  8)

Written By: King Tut on 09/24/11 at 4:12 pm

I heard this in the morning. I think further research is required until such a statement is real. It's interesting to say the least.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/11 at 7:43 pm

I'd love to travel back in time.  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/24/11 at 8:14 pm

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  A six-sigma deviation is really really interesting but not extraordinary.  Being able to pick something up after a few hundred kilometers of rock is inconsistent with the neutrinos we detect from supernovae hundreds of thousands of light years away.  (24 neutrons were picked up in a 13-second burst three hours in advance of SN1987A, at a range of around 168,000 light years.  That puts limits on how fast the neutrinos are traveling, as well as how they interact with whatever's in the galactic halo.  If they were traveling as fast as the ones from CERN, SN1987A's neutrinos would have shown up a few years before the supernova was observed.

But this is how science works.  The OPERA team came up with a result, and after trying and failing to eliminate every other possibility, they published - and now it's up to the rest of the physics community to figure out what they missed, which is probably some unaccounted-for systematic or measurement error they didn't think of.

The bartender says "Sorry, we're not yet convinced enough to serve your kind here."
A superluminal neutrino walks into a bar.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/11 at 8:56 pm

It's hard for us laymen to even comprehend a particle as small as a neutrino or a span as short as 60 nanoseconds.  The Wiki article says a neutrino has a "small but not non-zero mass," so if physicists can get a particle with mass, no matter how miniscule, to exceed the speed of light by even a nanosecond, it would turn Einstein's universe on its head.

Would it not?
???

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/11 at 9:44 pm

Hmmm, it would be cool!  8)

Written By: King Tut on 09/24/11 at 9:56 pm

It's hard for us laymen to even comprehend a particle as small as a neutrino or a span as short as 60 nanoseconds.  The Wiki article says a neutrino has a "small but not non-zero mass," so if physicists can get a particle with mass, no matter how miniscule, to exceed the speed of light by even a nanosecond, it would turn Einstein's universe on its head.

Would it not?
???

If they don't have a DeLorean or enough plutonium, it just ain't gonna happen.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/24/11 at 10:02 pm

Exactly the reason people are skeptical.  We've got lots of very good reasons to believe neutrinos have mass.  Einstein's special relativity is arguably the best-tested theory in history.  Superluminal massive particles turn a lot of things on their heads.  Which is precisely why the evidence has to be overwhelming before people are convinced.  

But also the same reason it's gotten front-page news.  If - and that's still a very, very, very big "if" - it turns out to be the case, the universe just got a whole lot more interesting.

My money's on Einstein carrying the day.  I'll even bet that most of the OPERA team would bet the same way.  But this is science: it's not about placing bets, it's about "This is what we saw, and this is what we conclude on the basis of our observations.  What do you guys see?"  If other physicists find a place where the OPERA team missed, Einstein lives to fight another day.  If other physicists can replicate OPERA's results, then I'll change my mind on the speed of light as an insurmountable speed limit for massive particles.  And I'll buy a DeLorean :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/11 at 12:53 am

Exactly the reason people are skeptical.  We've got lots of very good reasons to believe neutrinos have mass.  Einstein's special relativity is arguably the best-tested theory in history.  Superluminal massive particles turn a lot of things on their heads.  Which is precisely why the evidence has to be overwhelming before people are convinced.  

But also the same reason it's gotten front-page news.  If - and that's still a very, very, very big "if" - it turns out to be the case, the universe just got a whole lot more interesting.

My money's on Einstein carrying the day.  I'll even bet that most of the OPERA team would bet the same way.  But this is science: it's not about placing bets, it's about "This is what we saw, and this is what we conclude on the basis of our observations.  What do you guys see?"  If other physicists find a place where the OPERA team missed, Einstein lives to fight another day.  If other physicists can replicate OPERA's results, then I'll change my mind on the speed of light as an insurmountable speed limit for massive particles.  And I'll buy a DeLorean :)

Einstein would be delighted to see science in progress.  E=MC-2 was not the be-all end-all, it was jut the best Albert could do at the time.  

If scientists can make matter exceed the speed of light, time travel is conceivable...but only time travel forward, that is, to the future.  How you get back, I dunno, I hope you like where they send you 'coz you're stuck there!

Written By: Howard on 09/25/11 at 7:02 am

If they don't have a DeLorean or enough plutonium, it just ain't gonna happen.

you also have to have Doc with you too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/11 at 7:04 am

you also have to have Doc with you too.
Hold on there....

Which timezone is Doc in right now?

Written By: Howard on 09/25/11 at 7:05 am

Hold on there....

Which timezone is Doc in right now?

2011,right?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/11 at 7:08 am

2011,right?  ???
Remember at the end of BTTF3, Doc’s train converts into a hovertrain and roars off into an unknown time.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/25/11 at 8:51 am

I'm just thankful that with all the economic turmoil worldwide that somebody has the money to pay for flinging neutrinos along particle accelerators.

Perhaps the phenomenon is akin to Cherenkov radiation, which is the cool blue color that you see coming off nuclear fuel rod pools, or just before a clumsy scientist says "oh sh*t" when he fumbles into a criticality accident... the hue is caused by electrons moving faster than the speed of light in the transport medium.

Check for new replies or respond here...