inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Out-Of-Control Satellite Plunges To Earth

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/11 at 7:03 am

A Nasa satellite has entered the Earth's atmosphere amid fears that debris from the decommissioned satellite - which was the size of a double-decker bus - might cause damage when it landed.

Nasa reported that Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) fell to earth between 3.23am and 5.09am BST.

In a post on Twitter in the early hours of the morning, the agency said: "It is possible that UARS is down by now (everybody OK out there?)"

While most of the six-ton craft should have burned up on the fiery re-entry, about 26 individual pieces weighing around half a ton were expected to survive and land somewhere on the planet.

Nasa has said that any pieces that were found are the property of the country that made the satellite, so would have to be returned to the US.

There were unconfirmed reports on Twitter that some debris had fallen over Okotoks, a town south of Calgary in western Canada.

According to Nasa, the chance of someone being hit by a piece of the satellite was "one in several trillion. Very unlikely".

It also said that space junk falls to Earth every day although objects the size of UARS are only likely to come down about once a year.

"When fuel runs out, there is nowhere to go but down," it said.

UARS was sent into orbit in 1991 to study the ozone and the Earth's atmosphere.

It completed its mission in 2005 and has been losing altitude slowly ever since - pulled down by gravity.

Although Nasa now designs space craft which are capable of a controlled re-entry, it did not when UARS was built.

Subject: Re: Out-Of-Control Satellite Plunges To Earth

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/11 at 6:32 pm

let's hope it hits the ocean

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/11 at 9:03 pm

Does anybody else remember Skylab in 1979?  The grownups were scared it might fall on our heads!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rolleyes.gif

Written By: King Tut on 09/24/11 at 11:02 pm

Boss! Boss!
De satellite debris the size of a double-decker bus!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2410/2448730058_ac37c0e0fe.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/11 at 12:25 am

Run away!  Run away!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/11 at 1:04 am

Run away!  Run away!

It's not quite the right scene...

n7e5N6goLpQ

...but it's a start.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/25/11 at 3:35 am

Does anybody else remember Skylab in 1979?  The grownups were scared it might fall on our heads!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rolleyes.gif

I was just talking about that.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/11 at 6:56 am

Run away!  Run away!

It didn't hit Earth so you should be lucky.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/25/11 at 9:04 pm

It's not quite the right scene...

n7e5N6goLpQ

...but it's a start.

BF2HH5VOsUM

Umm....

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/27/11 at 9:09 pm

Umm....

Well, it's down now, likely somewhere over the Pacific.  Even NASA doesn't know where the debris footprint ended up.  One NASA spokesperson is quoted as saying "Because we don't know where the re-entry point actually was, we don't know where the debris field might be", and when pressed for further details, said only that he was expecting a satellite to fall out of the sky, that's all, he didn't expect this kind of Spanish Inquis--

0MY_BKuCzrU

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/11 at 12:28 am

I boycott My Little Pony stupid crap

Written By: Bobby on 09/28/11 at 4:51 am

I think I've found a piece in the back of my garden...It's ruined my begonias but at least I can get free SKY TV now.  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 09/28/11 at 11:28 am

I think I've found a piece in the back of my garden...It's ruined my begonias but at least I can get free SKY TV now.  ;D

It reminds me of a joke a comedian told about an airplane that had a engine that fell out(keep it mind it didn't go out, it fell out). It happened while flying to it's destination. Which means that somewhere along the way, someone gained an air conditioner in their back yard.

Check for new replies or respond here...