inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Funk Legend Sly Stone Homeless and Living in a Van

Written By: Claybricks on 09/25/11 at 2:32 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/09/sly_stone.jpg

Funk Legend Sly Stone Homeless and Living in a Van

11:13 AM PDT 9/25/2011 by Jane Kellogg

The former Sly & the Family Stone frontman has been forced out of his home; Stone is suing his manager but still making music.

Sly Stone, one of the pioneers of funk music as mastermind for Sly and the Family Stone, is now homeless and living out of a white van in Los Angeles. The music legend, according to the NY Post, has been grappling with the loss of his fortune, due to substance abuse, mismanagement and a life of excess.

Stone, now 68, is suing his manager Jerry Goldstein for $50 million, alleging fraud and 20 years of stolen royalty payments. Stone says he was tricked into signing a contract with Goldstein in 1989, which gave his manager control of his finances. His financial woes are also in part due to a 1984 deal where he sold his music publishing rights to Michael Jackson for a reported $1 million.

Back in the 1960s and 70s, Stone lived in a 5,432-square-foot mansion in Beverly Hills, hosting parties for other music legends: Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Etta James and Miles Davis. He collected automobiles, such as a purple Jaguar XKE, Hummers, a London taxi and a gold Studebaker (which he asked the NY Post to pay for it to be painted in exchange for the interview, a request that was denied, according to the Post).

Four years ago he moved into a Napa Valley house he rented with money from a 2007 European tour. But his financial problems forced him out of the home into cheap hotels, until finally he moved into his white camper in 2009.

“I like my small camper,” Stone told the NY Post. “I just do not want to return to a fixed home. I cannot stand being in one place. I must keep moving.”

Stone parks his van on a residential street in the rough LA neighborhood of Crenshaw. A retired couple allows Stone to shower at their house and makes sure he eats, while their son serves as his assistant and driver. He continues to record music on a laptop computer, from inside the walls of his home on wheels.

Earlier this year, Stone released an album of his hits that he had re-recorded with other artists. He has recorded hundreds of new songs inside his van, but is wary of record companies and managers and deals that could send him deeper into his financial hole.

“My music is a format that will encourage you to have a song you won’t forget. That’s why I got so much money, that there are so many people around, and that’s why I am in court. Millions of dollars!” Stone says. “But now please tell everybody, please, to give me a job, play my music. I’m tired of all this s--t, man.”

He has been out of the public eye since 2006, when he appeared onstage during a Grammy tribute with a medley of his hits. That was his first performance in 19 years, but Stone says he is ready to make a comeback, should today’s artists want to work with him.

“It will feel good to step on stage,” he says. “I see all the guys playing those old songs. Let these guys know, like Lady Gaga, let me come in, just let me come in and pay me if you like it.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/funk-legend-sly-stone-homeless-239989

Dan

Subject: Re: Funk Legend Sly Stone Homeless and Living in a Van

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/11 at 4:17 pm

Too sad for words.
:\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/11 at 4:53 pm

He has always had ups and downs.  He should have someone managing his life, gifted artists tend to be there all worst enemies when it comes to life.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/25/11 at 6:43 pm

Artists are supposed to live out of a van at the BEGINNING of their careers.

I'd like to see Sly team up with Snoop Dogg or maybe Ice-T, I bet they could come up with some decent stuff.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/11 at 11:51 pm

I'd like to see Sly team up with Snoop Dogg or maybe Ice-T, I bet they could come up with some decent stuff.  8)

Yes...as an agent I would advise:  Never sell your van, you'll need it at the end of your careers more than at the beginning!

Written By: Howard on 09/26/11 at 6:39 am

It's sad what Sly Stone looked like 40 years ago compared to today:

http://s11.allstarpics.net/images/orig/n/x/nxq6yap8ztoqtzqa.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/BWe*zjqg0hyV*x*N57aj3mApjhu5gzk2De2ix8OiliwUJ*RrPVi1Hu82tDLkGRx96XQ*atLAJ2nY2BXn7hdv5ojz6vBNBUw0/1139488546_9055.jpg

Back then he rocked the big afro,funky sideburns and fancy clothes now he looks like an aging punk rocker.

Written By: Howard on 09/26/11 at 6:41 am

funk and rap would make good collaboration.

Check for new replies or respond here...