inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fashion observations

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/27/11 at 10:07 pm

Just note some observations you've made of fashion trends around your schools, towns, circle, etc

Notes in school:

Girls seem to be wearing hats more than I've ever seen. Not becoming huge but steadily growing. Men are wearing them but still mostly confined to hipsters. In class, one girl wore a fedora, the other a flat cap/golf cap.
Wild fashions are coming back; One girl was wearing a 70s style floral shirt, another a 90s style shirt. early 90s and 70s style fashions seem to be creeping back in.
Big, 1980s/1950s eyeglasses seem to be becoming big and not just among hipsters.

Subject: Re: Fashion observations

Written By: watertowater on 10/03/11 at 8:22 am

I must add, it seems that lately, for boys, striped shirts have been popular. Maybe it's just my school? ???

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/04/11 at 3:00 am

Since last year, I've noticed a lot of women wearing those '80s Flashdance tops and other more '80s-inspired shirts. It may have been going on since before then, but 2010 is when I started to notice them.

Flare jeans are coming back into style, and I've seen lots of people wearing them at my community college (though I think skinny jeans are still dominant). Also, I noticed a young lady in class today whose hair seemed vaguely reminiscent of '90s hair, which got me to wondering if '90s styles are going to come back.

Otherwise, nothing's changed since '09 - in my perception, at least.

Written By: Shiv on 10/04/11 at 9:13 pm

All the fashion has become extremely 80sish (especially 1987-1991 era) recently, especially women's fashion... I see a lot of girls around who wouldn't look out of place in Saved by the Bell ;D

It seems that short but volumized hair is in with guys in contrast to all the buzz cuts in 09 and 10. Also, beards.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/11 at 6:34 am

I saw one black girl was sporting an afro yesterday in the parking lot. :o

Written By: watertowater on 10/21/11 at 5:34 am

Also, I noticed a young lady in class today whose hair seemed vaguely reminiscent of '90s hair, which got me to wondering if '90s styles are going to come back.

I don't think that she was trying to copy '90s hair. Many people today wear clothes or have hairstyles which are about 5-15 years out of date and get away with doing so. Maybe people aren't just as fashion-conscious as they once were?  ???

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/21/11 at 9:32 am

I don't think that she was trying to copy '90s hair. Many people today wear clothes or have hairstyles which are about 5-15 years out of date and get away with doing so. Maybe people aren't just as fashion-conscious as they once were?   ???

I agree. I don't think she was trying to make any conscious effort to emulate any particular '90s hairstyle. It's just that her hair reminded me of the '90s.

Written By: Emman on 10/21/11 at 11:32 am

I've noticed very elaborate designs in woman's clothes, ruffles and some angular designs. There's still a emo/scenester overglow to 2011 fashion too.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/21/11 at 4:56 pm

I don't think that she was trying to copy '90s hair. Many people today wear clothes or have hairstyles which are about 5-15 years out of date and get away with doing so. Maybe people aren't just as fashion-conscious as they once were?   ???

Maybe it's that people have better things to worry about than worry if their fashion is out of date?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/21/11 at 5:55 pm

I saw one black girl was sporting an afro yesterday in the parking lot. :o

I've seen a few, on girls and guys

Written By: Howard on 10/21/11 at 7:14 pm

I've seen a few, on girls and guys

I think it's great.

Check for new replies or respond here...