inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Simpsons extended for two series

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/11 at 10:52 am

US TV network Fox has announced that animated show The Simpsons will run for a further two series after a contract dispute with the cast was settled.

The terms of a new deal with voice actors has not been disclosed, but The Hollywood Reporter said they had accepted a 30% pay cut.

Producers warned earlier this week that the show could no longer be produced "under its current financial model".

Actors had demanded a share of merchandising and syndication profits.

The voice artists, who reportedly earn $8m (£5.2m) each per series, were prepared to accept a deep cut in pay in order to gain a small share of the show's wider revenues.

One of the show's cast, Harry Shearer, said he had been told that there were "simply no circumstances under which the network would consider allowing me or any of the actors to share in the show's success".

While he conceded that their salaries were "ridiculous by any normal standard", Shearer added he found it "hard to believe that this is Fox's final word on the subject" of profit-sharing.

The show's makers declined to respond to his comments.

They had previously said that slashing the cast's salaries by 45% would be necessary to allow the long-running animation to continue.

The Simpsons - currently in its 23rd series - is the longest-running comedy series on US television and is broadcast in more than 100 countries and 50 languages.

However ratings for the current series in the US have averaged 7.1 million viewers, down 14% from last year.

Fox are looking into increasing revenue from The Simpsons, including the possibility of launching a cable channel devoted to showing repeats of the show.

Subject: Re: The Simpsons extended for two series

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/11 at 11:57 am

I'm sure they took real good care of Harry Shearer.  He's just bellyaching. 

Simpsons jumped the shark years ago.  I thought the 20th anniversary was a good time to knock-off, but they kept going.  If they chug along for two more years, then they should get the network to finance a 25-year send-off shebang and promise to close down shop!
::)

Written By: King Tut on 10/09/11 at 1:37 pm

I'm sure they took real good care of Harry Shearer.  He's just bellyaching. 

Simpsons jumped the shark years ago.  I thought the 20th anniversary was a good time to knock-off, but they kept going.  If they chug along for two more years, then they should get the network to finance a 25-year send-off shebang and promise to close down shop!
::)

Simpsons did lose their bite about 10 years ago. Still a few amusing episodes thrown since then. Simpsons are a cash cow for Fox.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0BznDWWiniU/Sh8ULqC2hlI/AAAAAAAAAx4/xYKFoI_9qBc/s400/bart.jpg

Written By: Howard on 10/09/11 at 6:02 pm

I remember when The Simpsons started from The Tracey Ullman Show in 1987 as a cartoon but little did we know that The Simpsons would become a household name.

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/11 at 6:41 pm

If The Simpsons goes off the air, what will Hank Azaria do?

The movie 'Love and Other Drugs' was a bomb, and his NBC show 'Free Agents' got canned.  The Simpsons is all he has

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/11 at 12:24 am

The movie 'Love and Other Drugs' was a bomb, and his NBC show 'Free Agents' got canned.  The Simpsons is all he has

Azaria doesn't need anything else!  He had multiple voices on the most successful animated series in history.  He's set for life.

His acting ambitions might be cramped.  I don't think I'd cast him as the romantic lead.  If the audience hears Moe, Apu, or Chief Wiggum, it's over!
;D

Written By: Howard on 10/10/11 at 6:41 am

http://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.kidzworld.com/article/34460/homer1.jpg?1263596427

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/10/11 at 2:21 pm

This song sums up "The Simpsons"...

e0PJYqzht3s

Written By: Howard on 10/11/11 at 6:43 am

You would think after almost 25 years they would age and become teenage adults but I guess the makers just wanted to keep them as is.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/12/11 at 12:02 pm

He could do Night at the Museum 3  :-\\  or The Smurfs 2  ::) or Happy Feet 3  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...