inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Work of Art the series and a discussion of "art"

Written By: snozberries on 10/14/11 at 5:57 pm

Don't know if anyone watches this show but I find it interesting...

it's a reality series where prospective artists compete for a cash prize and a private art show at a gallery in Brooklyn.

Like all reality shows they have challenges and have to create art based on whatever parameters have been put in place by the producers/host/judges...

Subject: Re: Work of Art the series and a discussion of "art"

Written By: snozberries on 10/14/11 at 6:09 pm

One of the reasons I created this thread, besides just talking about a reality show about artists is I wanted to just discuss some of the bizarre stuff people pass off as "art"  below is an email we rec'd this week about an art instillation project an art honors major had planned on campus.

My name is ____, and I am a 4th Year Honors Art Studio Student. I was hoping to request your permission to complete a performance artwork.

On Thursday I will be acting as a Door object of sorts.

The Piece is titled “DoorJam”, and I will be in underwear, while eating jam, while acting as a door prop.

I will not be changing or altering the campus in anyway other than using a doorway space temporarily. My artwork is very mobile, I can simply get up and walk away if anything happens or if there are any logistic problems. I have done pieces with doors before, it hasn’t been a problem before, as long as there are several different doors next to each other…i.e. the entrance to the _____.

A fellow Art Honors Student will be documenting the process, as well as notifying people, if they somehow are so enveloped in their own world that they don’t notice a girl in her underwear in the doorway….

I would like to be there for approximately one hour. If problems arise or anything happens that would suggest shortening the piece, obviously I will vacate the premises promptly.

I am delving into a world of Post-Structuralist Neo-Feminist Performance Artwork.  I am exploring the role of a woman as a sexual object while inviting closely-knit female psychology links between food and sex. And of course, its quite the Pun.

Seriously? I girl in a doorway, in her underwear, eating jam? that's art!?!  Puh-leeze  ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/14/11 at 7:28 pm

How about that guy who paints nude women with paint,that could be considered art,Could it? ???

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/10/14/1226166/360108-body-art.jpg

The guy's name is Andy Golub.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/14/11 at 8:27 pm

One of the reasons I created this thread, besides just talking about a reality show about artists is I wanted to just discuss some of the bizarre stuff people pass off as "art"  below is an email we rec'd this week about an art instillation project an art honors major had planned on campus.

My name is ____, and I am a 4th Year Honors Art Studio Student. I was hoping to request your permission to complete a performance artwork.

On Thursday I will be acting as a Door object of sorts.

The Piece is titled “DoorJam”, and I will be in underwear, while eating jam, while acting as a door prop.

I will not be changing or altering the campus in anyway other than using a doorway space temporarily. My artwork is very mobile, I can simply get up and walk away if anything happens or if there are any logistic problems. I have done pieces with doors before, it hasn’t been a problem before, as long as there are several different doors next to each other…i.e. the entrance to the _____.

A fellow Art Honors Student will be documenting the process, as well as notifying people, if they somehow are so enveloped in their own world that they don’t notice a girl in her underwear in the doorway….

I would like to be there for approximately one hour. If problems arise or anything happens that would suggest shortening the piece, obviously I will vacate the premises promptly.

I am delving into a world of Post-Structuralist Neo-Feminist Performance Artwork.  I am exploring the role of a woman as a sexual object while inviting closely-knit female psychology links between food and sex. And of course, its quite the Pun.

Seriously? I girl in a doorway, in her underwear, eating jam? that's art!?!   Puh-leeze  ::)

Crap!  If that qualifies, you should see the performance art I'm creating right here in my own kitchen!  I love people who take themselves so seriously; they are the funniest thing ever!  Post-Structuralist Neo-Feminist Performance Artwork  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 10/14/11 at 9:09 pm

Crap!  If that qualifies, you should see the performance art I'm creating right here in my own kitchen!  I love people who take themselves so seriously; they are the funniest thing ever!  Post-Structuralist Neo-Feminist Performance Artwork  ::)

;D

I like how she thinks people won't notice a girl in her underwear in the doorway of one of the busiest buildings on campus.

Written By: snozberries on 10/14/11 at 9:10 pm

How about that guy who paints nude women with paint,that could be considered art,Could it? ???

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/10/14/1226166/360108-body-art.jpg

The guy's name is Andy Golub.

Some people might consider it art.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/14/11 at 11:33 pm

;D

I like how she thinks people won't notice a girl in her underwear in the doorway of one of the busiest buildings on campus.

I will say this, living in NY, I've seen too many strange things to count.  You do start to get so used to and jaded about the oddities that they tend not to phase you anymore.  I remember being on the train with this man who was wearing nothing but red panty hose and high heeled red shoes.  He did not even have underwear on under the hose.  He was just standing there whistling as these tourist were laughing and horrified.  All I could think was: "Eh, the guy directing traffic in the nude was worse".  I didn't even give red hose dude another glance.  I can promise you he was no performance artist!  Maybe we are a bit too desensitized  ???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/15/11 at 12:05 am

Haven't watched the series, what channel is it on?

Odd mediums?  How about dryer lint?  http://heidihooper.com/lint.htm

Written By: snozberries on 10/15/11 at 12:27 am

I will say this, living in NY, I've seen too many strange things to count.  You do start to get so used to and jaded about the oddities that they tend not to phase you anymore.  I remember being on the train with this man who was wearing nothing but red panty hose and high heeled red shoes.  He did not even have underwear on under the hose.  He was just standing there whistling as these tourist were laughing and horrified.  All I could think was: "Eh, the guy directing traffic in the nude was worse".  I didn't even give red hose dude another glance.  I can promise you he was no performance artist!  Maybe we are a bit too desensitized  ???

That's messed up.  ;D

Every spring our "art" students have to do a project. This is something that has to be done on campus in front of the public. It's in leiu of a final exam. Some of the  more memorable ones have been:

Stuffed pants and shoes in a locked bathroom stall with whistling playing on a loop. We were called to check the welfare on the guy who'd been in the bathroom for hours  ::)

A girl who created a "zoo" she arranged about 100 stuffed animals behind tiny fences on a lawn near the library

A dude dressed as a ninja who would hide in the bushes and jump out and scare random passersby  ;D

And my favorite.....*drumroll*. Someone put a sleeping bag under a window of the art departments main office. They filled it with rotting meat and shaped it to look like a man was inside.  We got all kinds of calls about a deadc transient on campus. At least the art department had to live with the stench for a few hours.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 10/15/11 at 12:29 am

Haven't watched the series, what channel is it on?

Odd mediums?  How about dryer lint?  http://heidihooper.com/lint.htm

It's on BRAVO. First airing is on Wednesday's but, in true bravo fashion, they rerun it....often if you plan on watching only one ep has aired this season.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/11 at 6:47 am

What do you consider it,exhibitionism?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/11 at 6:48 am

Of course it is art, a paint brush has been used to apply the body paint.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/11 at 6:49 am

;D

I'll probably notice the girl but I may be too busy just staring at her.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/15/11 at 9:46 am

Of course it is art, a paint brush has been used to apply the body paint.

just because a paint brush was used doesn't necessarily make it art... Art is subjective....to me it's just body "art" i.e. an elaborate, temporary tattoo.

Written By: snozberries on 10/15/11 at 9:48 am

What do you consider it,exhibitionism?  ???

a woman standing on the street displaying her boobs in the manner depicted in the pic? yeah that's what I'd call it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/15/11 at 9:00 pm

(quoting the article)
I am delving into a world of Post-Structuralist Neo-Feminist Performance Artwork.  I am exploring the role of a woman as a sexual object while inviting closely-knit female psychology links between food and sex.

So am I!

(Nope, not the bacon bra you were expecting.  Not the one you weren't expecting.  No, not the other one you were probably expecting either.  The one on bacontoday is cooked, and therefore safely edible, and also has a 2500x2500 high resolution images.)

I don't care whether it's art or not. I know what I like.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/15/11 at 10:24 pm

I watched last season and I'll probably watch it again...another show on Wednesday...why is it that every show I like is on Wednesday??

I wish I had some artistic ability, I tried one of the Bob Ross painting kits and I sucked!!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/16/11 at 12:42 am

I watched last season and I'll probably watch it again...another show on Wednesday...why is it that every show I like is on Wednesday??

I wish I had some artistic ability, I tried one of the Bob Ross painting kits and I sucked!!   ;D

But see that's the beauty of bravo... I record the rerun on Thursday afternoons because my Wednesday's are super loaded.

I liked last season, i was happy with who won.

This season they seem to have gotten even more "artsy" type artists  ;D

Yeah I can't even color in a coloring book.  ;D

One blowhard cals himself the sucklord.  Personally I think he got it half right  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/16/11 at 6:41 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MghiBW3r65M

Written By: Dagwood on 10/16/11 at 8:03 am

I love Bob Ross and his happy little paintings.  :D

Written By: Howard on 10/16/11 at 2:06 pm

I love Bob Ross and his happy little paintings.   :D

I loved the way Bob Ross slapped the paintbrush on the corner like he was doing something naughty.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/16/11 at 9:52 pm

Loved Bob Ross, it's  amazing how many people knew/know who he was.

Caught the first episode of this season today.  Not sure I really like it, but I guess it has potential.  I do love art.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/11 at 6:51 am

http://wtfcontent.com/img/130192370956.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/17/11 at 3:49 pm

A lot of this comes from Dada, and later "conceptual art."  Some art works of seemingly absurd construction can be quite profound...others are indeed crap.  It's the idea behind the idea.

John Cage: 4'33"

Consider the sounds in your ambiance as music.  Sit and listen to them with focus and purpose.  Cage's idea was not to start a trend of compositions employing nothing but silence, but plant the idea in the listener's mind that "music" is all around us if we only listen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HypmW4Yd7SY

Some people get it.  Some don't.  I tried for an hour to explain it to my grandmother.  She was having none of it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/11 at 3:00 am

A lot of this comes from Dada, and later "conceptual art."  Some art works of seemingly absurd construction can be quite profound...others are indeed crap.  It's the idea behind the idea.

John Cage: 4'33"

Consider the sounds in your ambiance as music.  Sit and listen to them with focus and purpose.  Cage's idea was not to start a trend of compositions employing nothing but silence, but plant the idea in the listener's mind that "music" is all around us if we only listen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HypmW4Yd7SY

Some people get it.  Some don't.  I tried for an hour to explain it to my grandmother.  She was having none of it!

From a BBC website

Musician Mike Batt had paid a six-figure sum to settle a bizarre dispute over who owns copyright to a silent musical work.

Batt, who had a number of hits in the 70s with UK children's characters The Wombles, was accused of plagiarism by the publishers of the late US composer John Cage, after placing a silent track on his latest album, Classical Graffiti which was credited to himself and Cage.

Cage's own silent composition, 4'33", was originally released in 1952.

Batt has now agreed to pay an undisclosed six-figure sum to the John Cage Trust by way of an out-of-court settlement.

"I am relieved we have been able to settle this one out of court," Batt said. "This has been albeit a gentlemanly dispute, a most serious matter."

Written By: snozberries on 10/19/11 at 11:03 pm

So I'm watching the second ep of Work of Art....
The challenge is MOVEMENT.  Two teams, 6 artists.
Each artist has to create an individual work of art that will work with the others to convey the concept..

Team one says:
Bayete:  I was thinking of doing something with stop motion with spinning, 360.....
Sucklord, The:   I was thinking of something like Mousetrap where one motion triggers or leads to the next thing.
Chick w/ immunity:  Like digestion. I would love to do actually a pooping piece.

Joel McHale please tell me your Soup interns saw that!!!  ;D

Oh crap  ;)   I paused it too soon.  ;D

Sucklord, The: When you're attracted to poop what is it? The thing coming out or...
Poop-Girl: No. I like the actual poop.
Sucklord, The: you like the physical shyt.
Poop-Girl: Yeah.
Sucklord, The: And if you're eating eat it or sh!tting out your ass?

;D

Written By: Howard on 10/20/11 at 7:07 am

So I'm watching the second ep of Work of Art....
The challenge is MOVEMENT.  Two teams, 6 artists.
Each artist has to create an individual work of art that will work with the others to convey the concept..

Team one says:
Bayete:  I was thinking of doing something with stop motion with spinning, 360.....
Sucklord, The:   I was thinking of something like Mousetrap where one motion triggers or leads to the next thing.
Chick w/ immunity:  Like digestion. I would love to do actually a pooping piece.

Joel McHale please tell me your Soup interns saw that!!!  ;D

Oh crap  ;)   I paused it too soon.  ;D

Sucklord, The: When you're attracted to poop what is it? The thing coming out or...
Poop-Girl: No. I like the actual poop.
Sucklord, The: you like the physical shyt.
Poop-Girl: Yeah.
Sucklord, The: And if you're eating eat it or sh!tting out your ass?

;D

Wow "poop" as art? Who'd thought of that.

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/11 at 12:16 pm

Wow "poop" as art? Who'd thought of that.

Fortunately they didn't do it.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/11 at 1:48 pm

Fortunately they didn't do it.

That's good to know.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...