inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: UMPIRE THROWS GAME 1 OF WORLD SERIES!

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/19/11 at 11:53 pm

The Audience, TV cameras, and St. Louis Cardinals all clearly saw Texas Ranger Adrian Beltre get hit in the foot with his own foul ball, but apparently the umpire was too busy calling his bookie or something to actually call it a foul. Because he said nothing, the Cardinals assumed the ball was fair, and the 3rd baseman picked it up from rolling along the foul line to throw to 1st base, and THEN poor Beltre, who was still hopping around home on his stinging foot, was called out. I want to know why the play was not even reviewed, as manager Ron Washington asked. THIS IS THE WORLD SERIES, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Rumors have swirled around Major League Baseball for years that umpires are corrupt and biased. This miscarriage of justice is not going to help any. In fact, if proven true, it may give our national pastime I bigger black eye than the player's strike of 1994 did. What does that ump have to say for not doing his job!?

Your Furious Pal,
Doc

>:(

Subject: Re: UMPIRE THROWS GAME 1 OF WORLD SERIES!

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/20/11 at 6:05 am

Say it ain't so, joe...

http://ewpopwatch.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/field_l.jpg

Written By: gibbo on 10/21/11 at 10:54 pm

It's not really a 'World' series... now is it?  Isn't there only one country playing in it?  ;D  But true... if it's professional (and serious) ... they shouldn't make errors like that.

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/21/11 at 11:00 pm

It's not really a 'World' series... now is it?  Isn't there only one country playing in it?  ;D   But true... if it's professional (and serious) ... they shouldn't make errors like that.

Well, they do have the Toronto Bluejays, and yet they are in the American League, go figure.
Loved watching the Rangers come from behind to win Game 2!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: karen on 10/22/11 at 6:23 am

It's not really a 'World' series... now is it?  Isn't there only one country playing in it?  ;D  

It must be an urban legend that the 'World' part is because a sports magazine called World sponsored the first trophy.  I really thought this was true but can't find anything to verify it.

edited to add

And then I checked out snopes!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/11 at 12:05 pm

It's not really a 'World' series... now is it?  Isn't there only one country playing in it?  ;D   But true... if it's professional (and serious) ... they shouldn't make errors like that.

Sometimes there are TWO countries. The Toronto Blue Jays have played.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/22/11 at 12:07 pm

Sometimes there are TWO countries. The Toronto Blue Jays have played.

Cat

Yes, in 1992 and '93; they won both times. :) They are now the only team that plays in Canada, since the Montreal Expos moved to D.C. and became the Washington Nationals in 2005.

Written By: gibbo on 10/22/11 at 8:11 pm

It must be an urban legend that the 'World' part is because a sports magazine called World sponsored the first trophy.  I really thought this was true but can't find anything to verify it.

edited to add

And then I checked out snopes!

Interesting...    :)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/22/11 at 8:22 pm

Anybody else see the blown call at first base just before? The Cards have taken big advantage of it too.

Subject: Re: UMPIRE THROWS GAME 3 OF WORLD SERIES!

Written By: nally on 10/23/11 at 2:59 pm

Anybody else see the blown call at first base just before? The Cards have taken big advantage of it too.

Yes, I saw that one last night. That led to some huge run production.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/23/11 at 7:32 pm

Last year an umpire made a bad call that cost a pitcher a perfect game.  He admitted he was wrong, everyone who saw it said it was a bad call, you can even see it, but Selig wouldn't overturn the call.  That just pissed me off no end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLGwk3VMxUI&feature=related

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/28/11 at 12:02 am

Well, Game 6 just ended, and that bastard Darren Oliver threw it away in the bottom of the 9th! He let Berkman hit a 2-run double into deep center, and we lost the lead, needing only one more strike to take the series! And then the parade of all-thumb pitchers continued into the 10th and 11th innings with Feldman and Lowe, the former of whom did exactly the same after we retook the lead in the top of the 10th! I hope this game goes down in history as "Darren's Debacle", just like when Bill Buckner screwed over the Red Sox 25 years ago! Of course, I also hope this enrages Texas into playing even more aggresively tomorrow night to stuff the Cardinals once and for all!

Your Pal,
Doc

>:(

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/11 at 8:12 am

It was all the outfielder's fault, missing that catch at the wall. 

Check for new replies or respond here...