inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is occupy wallstreet the first cultural movement of the '10s?

Written By: Emman on 11/02/11 at 9:05 pm

Could it be comparable to MTV in 1981(for the '80s) or 911 in 2001(for the '00s), is this the indication for the direction of the culture for the rest of the 2010s?

Subject: Re: Is occupy wallstreet the first cultural movement of the '10s?

Written By: 80sfan on 11/02/11 at 9:08 pm

You have a point.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/03/11 at 10:18 pm

No, its more like the tea party.  Occupy Wall St is mostly disgruntled college students on the political fringe.

Written By: Emman on 11/03/11 at 10:29 pm

No, its more like the tea party.  Occupy Wall St is mostly disgruntled college students on the political fringe.

You're just not looking at the bigger picture. ::)

Written By: Creeder on 11/04/11 at 2:44 am

Could it be comparable to MTV in 1981(for the '80s) or 911 in 2001(for the '00s), is this the indication for the direction of the culture for the rest of the 2010s?

So the 2010s will be a decade of internet organized protests?

Written By: Howard on 11/04/11 at 6:34 am

If you want to look at it that way.

Written By: Emman on 11/04/11 at 1:11 pm

I don't know if the whole decade will be that way but there is a global awareness that the global economy creates great social inequality, occupy wallstreet is part of a larger global movement that's been happening from the beginning of the year, so it's not just fringe liberal college students(from Arab Spring to the August London riots). The 2010s could be a decade of increased social activism in the US, this movement could be one of the defining moments that Gen Y could be remembered for, now I've heard even MTV is trying to "cash in" on this movement 8-P.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/11 at 2:44 pm

That is what "Faux" News and the Right-wing wants you to believe. Actually, Occupy Wall Street is nurses, teachers, firefighters, military vets, factory workers, etc. etc. Oh yeah, and also some college students.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/11 at 3:22 pm

That is what "Faux" News and the Right-wing wants you to believe. Actually, Occupy Wall Street is nurses, teachers, firefighters, military vets, factory workers, etc. etc. Oh yeah, and also some college students.

Cat

Beat me to it Cat.  Doesn't take much to see that it is a huge cross section, even tea baggers have joined in.  I went down to Occupy Boston and there are students, vets, tradesmen, young, old, union, non-union, teachers, firefighters. 

Written By: 80sfan on 11/04/11 at 3:26 pm

Beat me to it Cat.  Doesn't take much to see that it is a huge cross section, even tea baggers have joined in.  I went down to Occupy Boston and there are students, vets, tradesmen, young, old, union, non-union, teachers, firefighters. 

Doesn't A.M. radio talkshows with people such as Glenn Beck and Michael Savage think it's only 'slacker' college students protesting?
Of course I don't believe most things Beck and Savage tell me, but aren't some people such as them spreading the wrong idea about these protesters?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/11 at 3:30 pm

Doesn't A.M. radio talkshows with people such as Glenn Beck and Michael Savage think it's only 'slacker' college students protesting?
Of course I don't believe most things Beck and Savage tell me, but aren't some people such as them spreading the wrong idea about these protesters?

Eric Cantor called them a "mob."  ::)

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 11/04/11 at 3:32 pm

Eric Cantor called them a "mob."  ::)

Cat

:D

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/11 at 3:32 pm

Glenn Beck and Michael Savage know who is down there, but they're in the business of divisiveness.  It is Beck, Savage, and that ilk that are spreading the wrong idea, that is what they do.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/11 at 3:36 pm

Don't hear Beck and Savage talking about these people.

http://talkingunion.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/nnu-boston.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 11/04/11 at 3:36 pm

Glenn Beck and Michael Savage know who is down there, but they're in the business of divisiveness.  It is Beck, Savage, and that ilk that are spreading the wrong idea, that is what they do.

They're quite amusing to listen to though. ;D  But I don't agree with most of what they say.

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/04/11 at 4:29 pm

Given all the events of 2011, I have to wonder if the 2010s will be a decade of rampant social and political unrest the likes of which hasn't been seen since the 1960s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/11 at 4:41 pm

Given all the events of 2011, I have to wonder if the 2010s will be a decade of rampant social and political unrest the likes of which hasn't been seen since the 1960s.

2011 will go down in history as the start of social change. We (I mean that in the general sense of we-as in mankind) are at a crossroads. People are tired of the status quo-not just in this country but all around the world. They are standing up against injustice, tyranny, and oppression. You see it in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, & of course the United States. Granted, in the United States, people aren't trying to overthrow the government. We (The People) believe in the Constitution and what it stands for and we are trying to take back what was taken from us by greedy 1%.

WE ARE THE 99%

Cat

Written By: seamermar on 11/04/11 at 5:29 pm

Cat

A cat has got a vision any man can't get that precision   ;)

With you I agree and see every day more people shuffling their feet. I dare to forecast a many diminutive man are gonna engage this outraged band.
From this year on, the game is playing at internet on and on. The last tool the millenia brought up to mankind to prove, accuse, rant and rave, and occasionally yield.

The task is hard, for there's a lot of chaff on internet to blow out of the wheat. But with a well-seasoned sense of smell you soon know where to sniff and what to be sneezed at  8-P

Practice makes perfect.  Blindness is for free.    You choose for you're free.....aren't you ? ;)

So if you are a flag waving, patriotic nephew of  Uncle Sam,
then all you need to know is what or who  the enemy is and where to fight them.

Many countries just found their foe in their hardcore, why you not ?
Think about it, so you better constraint sovereigns start seeking  inside, instead of starting another fiend hunting a million miles away.

Thank goggle we all see the same thing is happening everywhere, so the whole world can't be wrong.

That's a good start for a new way to steer the ship towards a new land.

I'm optimist for my children's sake  ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 11/04/11 at 6:02 pm

The last time there was this much protest was the early to mid 70s!

Written By: Howard on 11/04/11 at 7:10 pm

The last time there was this much protest was the early to mid 70s!

a lot of stuff went down from 1975-1980.

Written By: Emman on 11/04/11 at 7:40 pm

a lot of stuff went down from 1975-1980.

That was more about 1968-1971(hippies, anti-war and civil rights protests, Kent State).

Written By: Emman on 11/23/11 at 8:31 am

Does any one think OWS will even start to change the direction of music, fashion, ect. Could more socially and politically conscious music be on the way soon. From what I've heard, some are ALREADY comparing the 2010's to the 1960's(civil unrest, mass protests), if that comparision holds true, I hope we get more meaningful music too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/23/11 at 11:49 am

Does any one think OWS will even start to change the direction of music, fashion, ect. Could more socially and politically conscious music be on the way soon. From what I've heard, some are ALREADY comparing the 2010's to the 1960's(civil unrest, mass protests), if that comparision holds true, I hope we get more meaningful music too.

Probably. However, this movement is bringing back great union songs but changing some of the lyrics like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CQEf0qmkAw

(They are changing the line "The Union makes us strong" to "The Movement makes us strong.")

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9SYuxfTeR0

Again, they change the lyrics-which is fine.

Then you have THIS song from the play Les Misérables that says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVEMZSP8Ypk&feature=related

Cat

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 11/23/11 at 7:01 pm

I believe it's not the first one.. i mean the middle east protest happened earlier in the year :p but it's definitely one of the early cultural movements in the decade :)

Written By: Howard on 11/23/11 at 7:06 pm

Don't forget Woodstock.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/24/11 at 7:26 am

The only difference between these protests and the protests of the 60's are...the entertainment!

I might make an Occupy Something involving Television. I'm sick of the sheesh that they call "entertainment" and I'd have the protestors all yell "I WANT MY MTV"!

I might be the 99%, but Wall Street ISN'T my life!

Written By: frenemy on 12/06/11 at 12:43 am

Bull. I was there and participated in it - there are people of every age, from babies to old people. it is NOT a youth movement.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/06/11 at 5:07 am

Bull. I was there and participated in it - there are people of every age, from babies to old people. it is NOT a youth movement.

Abso right!  I am 60, I own a home, I work, and I have been there.  It is an equal mishmash of old, young, students, workers, working students, union members, non union workers, teachers, ironworkers, mailmen, retired, veterans.  It is everyone.  The people who say it is disgruntled college students are uninformed, or misinformed.  If you don't know what you are talking about keep your mouth shut until you do.  It isn't hard to get the real story.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/11 at 6:28 am

How was it like being there?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/06/11 at 7:42 am

How was it like being there?

It's fine when I'm there.  The campers are all there, no problems, no drugs, no panhandlers, people tell you why they have chosen to camp there.  The campers are there, but there are people like me who drop in by day just to show a presence.  It is all very civil.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 12/26/11 at 7:48 am

It's fine when I'm there.  The campers are all there, no problems, no drugs, no panhandlers, people tell you why they have chosen to camp there.  The campers are there, but there are people like me who drop in by day just to show a presence.  It is all very civil.

coool :p, i guess technology has pretty much keep us occupied :D we have become very personalised than ever ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...