inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Floral-print Grunge Dresses

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 11/20/11 at 4:11 am

Last year there was a buzz about the revival of early nineties floral-dress-with-ugly-dress-shoes style reviving in Upper Manhattan, most exemplified by this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/19/fashion/19ELAINE.html

I've never been anywhere near New York, but in Japan, the "Elaine" grunge dress thing was HUGE last summer. And by "huge", I mean really huge. All the fashionable young Tokyo girls were wearing floral one-piece dresses or floral jumpsuits, with straw hats, crocheted vests, large socks and big shoes (dress shoes or Doc Martens,) when they went out. Others were wearing extremely blousy shirts with denim overalls or shorts, and keeping the giant ballerina shoes. The rest (the women who werent so daring) lost the fat shoes, but still at least wore something blousy and/or floral-patterned, when they leave the house (its taboo for Japanese women to be behind the times.) There were even older women were getting into it.

When I talked to my friends in the States about it, no one said theyd seen anything, even though they clearly understood what the trend was. Have you noticed any grunge dress revival lately?

Subject: Re: Floral-print Grunge Dresses

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/22/11 at 4:53 pm

Last year there was a buzz about the revival of early nineties floral-dress-with-ugly-dress-shoes style reviving in Upper Manhattan, most exemplified by this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/19/fashion/19ELAINE.html

I've never been anywhere near New York, but in Japan, the "Elaine" grunge dress thing was HUGE last summer. And by "huge", I mean really huge. All the fashionable young Tokyo girls were wearing floral one-piece dresses or floral jumpsuits, with straw hats, crocheted vests, large socks and big shoes (dress shoes or Doc Martens,) when they went out. Others were wearing extremely blousy shirts with denim overalls or shorts, and keeping the giant ballerina shoes. The rest (the women who werent so daring) lost the fat shoes, but still at least wore something blousy and/or floral-patterned, when they leave the house (its taboo for Japanese women to be behind the times.) There were even older women were getting into it.

When I talked to my friends in the States about it, no one said theyd seen anything, even though they clearly understood what the trend was. Have you noticed any grunge dress revival lately?

I thinik floral blouses are definitely in, but I haven't seen the 90's "dress with docs" look in ages.

Check for new replies or respond here...