inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: College Entrance Cheating Scandal

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/11 at 7:25 am

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/09/28/sat-cheaters-college-admissions-exam-has-history-of-fraud.html.

It is estimated that every year, the College Board flags 2,500 cases of scores that look suspect. After further investigation, approximately 1,000 of those cases result in the students’ test scores being “withheld.” (As policy, the Board doesn’t accuse kids of cheating; it just refuses to send the suspect scores to colleges—at least not without a giant scarlet asterisk.)

I bet if you asked the parents of every one of these kids, and the kids themselves, they would say the are vehemently against affirmative action,  cheating on test scores on the other hand............

Subject: Re: College Entrance Cheating Scandal

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/23/11 at 1:12 pm

If students have to cheat to get INTO college, how are they ever going to get THROUGH college? 

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/11 at 2:04 pm

If students have to cheat to get INTO college, how are they ever going to get THROUGH college? 

They aren't thinking about that.  More disturbing is this

http://articles.cnn.com/2002-04-05/us/highschool.cheating_1_plagiarism-cheating-students?_s=PM:fyi

A national survey by Rutgers' Management Education Center of 4,500 high school students found that 75 percent of them engage in serious cheating.- More than half have plagiarized work they found on the Internet.- Perhaps most disturbing, many of them don't see anything wrong with cheating: Some 50 percent of those responding to the survey said they don't think copying questions and answers from a test is even cheating.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/11 at 5:44 pm

My test score experience was different. In high school I was maybe 25th in my class grade wise, but had the highest PSAT/SAT scores in my class. In high school I pretty much jerked off for four years and coasted on raw talent. Our valedictorians worked their butts off.

Come college time, those kids were tapped out. I was just kicking into gear and actually studied a little bit. So while they studied like crazy in college to get so-so grades, I jerked off again (not quite as much as in HS) but beat them all at the grade game. To summarize, I got fantastic grades althewhile being actually a poor student.

Ran into an old prof a year or so ago and he told me as much.  "Damn, LB, you pissed me off. You were partying all the time at the Student Union Building, but you managed to destroy my tests!".  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/23/11 at 11:56 pm

Perhaps most disturbing, many of them don't see anything wrong with cheating: Some 50 percent of those responding to the survey said they don't think copying questions and answers from a test is even cheating

They're just doing what the Boomers and Xers taught 'em to do:

It's not cheating if:
(a) you get away with it,
(b) there's a technicality by which they can't punish you even if you did get caught,
(c) the probability-weighted cost associated with getting caught is less than the expected gain,
(d) you get the grant money,
(e) any or all of the above.

The more we think it's different, the more it stays the same,
And Nikolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky was his name!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/11 at 4:37 am

They're just doing what the Boomers and Xers taught 'em to do:

I have pissed off many a friend when I have said that.  When people gripe about "kids these days" my comeback is "who raised 'em?"  Sadly, in many cases no one, they raised themselves.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/11 at 10:10 pm

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/09/28/sat-cheaters-college-admissions-exam-has-history-of-fraud.html.

It is estimated that every year, the College Board flags 2,500 cases of scores that look suspect. After further investigation, approximately 1,000 of those cases result in the students’ test scores being “withheld.” (As policy, the Board doesn’t accuse kids of cheating; it just refuses to send the suspect scores to colleges—at least not without a giant scarlet asterisk.)

I bet if you asked the parents of every one of these kids, and the kids themselves, they would say the are vehemently against affirmative action,  cheating on test scores on the other hand............

Ever been to Great Neck?  Lots of big houses inhabited by people with tiny brains!
::)

Hey, if you pay for it, it ain't cheating.

Check for new replies or respond here...