inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music is better in this decade, who's with me?

Written By: kairosan on 11/23/11 at 2:31 pm

Like i say, i think Music is better in this decade than stuff from the 2000's....just saying

Subject: Re: Music is better in this decade, who's with me?

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/23/11 at 2:35 pm

I would have to agree, so far.  I hated most of the music from 2003-2009

Written By: kairosan on 11/23/11 at 2:56 pm

I would have to agree, so far.  I hated most of the music from 2003-2009

i LIKE THE MUSIC FROM NOW BECAUSE

1. Tunes are more loud and exciting( The songs from the 2000's were bland) Granted ,you had music that was good, but it was a needle in a haystack situration

2. The new Hipster, Club/dance Electric sound moves me and groovvvvvves me baby!!

3. Plus one factor music from this decade sounds better to me is because of the times i live in...personally! I'm a wealthy 24 year old and I don't have to worry about the rat race anymore! But Generally, you don't have to be evergreen to know that the music is full of energy!

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 11/23/11 at 4:26 pm

from the looks of the trend, the music in this decade will be better than 2000s foru sure, especially better tha the mid-late 2000s

Written By: Creeder on 11/23/11 at 4:59 pm

Sorry, but I prefer 2000s music. 2000s still had a 90s feel and music was much more real and organic (not counting most of the bad rap).
Now its all autotune and clubby.

2. The new Hipster, Club/dance Electric sound moves me and groovvvvvves me baby!!

Please give some examples.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 11/23/11 at 6:44 pm

Sorry, but I prefer 2000s music. 2000s still had a 90s feel and music was much more real and organic (not counting most of the bad rap).
Now its all autotune and clubby.

Please give some examples.  :)

It depends on taste. If you love rock music, then the 2010s won't be so good to you. If you like more dance/pop type music, then the 2010s will be a great decade for you.

Written By: Howard on 11/23/11 at 7:08 pm

It's more energetic and danceable in this decade.

Written By: 1PlayerD on 11/23/11 at 8:29 pm

It depends on taste. If you love rock music, then the 2010s won't be so good to you. If you like more dance/pop type music, then the 2010s will be a great decade for you.

I absolutely love rock and metal. But some songs from this decade are pretty good, like the Dubstep music, some Dubstep has been incorporated into Metal, as you see in a band like Korn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBfuaWu-E5Y&feature=BFa&list=WL55EF7E5B0329A65A&lf=plpp_video

Written By: Shiv on 11/23/11 at 10:01 pm

Definitely an improvement, and hopefully will get better as the decade moves further and further away from the 00s. The 2004-2007 stuff was particularily godawful.

Written By: fusefan on 11/23/11 at 11:42 pm

I agree music is much better now. It's defiantly an improvement from all the ringtone rap and emo junk from 2005-2009.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/11 at 6:56 am

Definitely an improvement, and hopefully will get better as the decade moves further and further away from the 00s. The 2004-2007 stuff was particularily godawful.

I know we're going into an electronic age of everything that is dubstep.

Written By: tnf on 11/24/11 at 10:26 pm

i LIKE THE MUSIC FROM NOW BECAUSE

1. Tunes are more loud and exciting( The songs from the 2000's were bland) Granted ,you had music that was good, but it was a needle in a haystack situration

We are TOTALLY opposite.

One of the reasons I hate most 2010s mainstream is BECAUSE of its loudness (because of too much compression and such things, have some people here heard of the 'loudness war'?), its unnatural sound. I like a so called 'dynamic' sound. With real voices, no voices sounding like they are computergenerated...

And music with a typical hipster feel, urgh...  :-\\

Early 2000s music wasn't bland, just less 'in your face'. In fact, much of it was exciting, if you listened carefully to it.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/25/11 at 12:44 pm

I definitely prefer today over the mid-late '00s (late 2005-mid 2008) which honestly were terrible in a lot of ways. Hip-hop is definitely far better right now than a lot of the '00s actually. It really seems like the gimmicks are dying and at least semi real hip-hop is back. Artists like Drake, J. Cole, Wiz Khalifa, Nicki Minaj I really like. Rock is pretty stagnant still but still there's still solid albums coming out from the established alternative bands. I have a big soft spot for the early '00s though, that's like when I was coming of age and really getting into music so there's a lot of memories, late '90s-early '00s is like my favorite era overall. Pop and rock were definitely stronger in the early '00s. I like mainstream pop I admit but I also like rap and alternative rock. I don't know if it's better than the '00s as a whole, since I think the early '00s beats today but it's better the 2nd half of the '00s which were generally terrible.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 11/26/11 at 1:25 am

the new genre's appearing are definitely good

but the current electropop genre and other contemporary pop, RnB and HipHop are definitely dead by 2013

i would have to say though overall 2000s music are very bland... with the exception of early 00's and few standouts in the rest of the decades, 00s wasn't exactly great for music industry

i do miss the 1990s music too!!! and i think this decade will saw revival in the 1990s music so it's definitely getting better... the overused electronic sound will definitely go away in near future

Written By: 1PlayerD on 11/26/11 at 11:16 am

the new genre's appearing are definitely good

but the current electropop genre and other contemporary pop, RnB and HipHop are definitely dead by 2013

i would have to say though overall 2000s music are very bland... with the exception of early 00's and few standouts in the rest of the decades, 00s wasn't exactly great for music industry

i do miss the 1990s music too!!! and i think this decade will saw revival in the 1990s music so it's definitely getting better... the overused electronic sound will definitely go away in near future

A lot of revivals have happened this decade, whether its a TV Show, Game.
Like Beavis and Butthead is apparently back on TV, as a remake. Some old game Series like Oddworld has recently came back. I'm sure theres more to it though than just TV Shows, and Games. But I'm saying as an example.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/26/11 at 12:28 pm

On a scale of zero to 10, I give 00s music a 3. Yeah, that's how bad it was in my eyes!

On a scale of zero to 10, I give 2010s music a 5. Sure, it isn't great like 90s music yet, but at least it doesn't make me wanna slit my wrist.  ;D

Written By: Creeder on 11/26/11 at 1:18 pm

On a scale of zero to 10, I give 00s music a 3. Yeah, that's how bad it was in my eyes!

On a scale of zero to 10, I give 2010s music a 5. Sure, it isn't great like 90s music yet, but at least it doesn't make me wanna slit my wrist.  ;D

90s music - 8, very good
00s music - 5, had its good moments
10s music - 3, not good

Written By: 80sfan on 11/26/11 at 2:28 pm

90s music - 8, very good
10s music - 3, not good

Actually, I change my mind, for the 2010s I give it a 4.

The 00s were bad. I'm guessing you're including underground music, which is why your rating for the 00s is higher than mine!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/26/11 at 4:52 pm

Actually, I change my mind, for the 2010s I give it a 4.

The 00s were bad. I'm guessing you're including underground music, which is why your rating for the 00s is higher than mine!

Luckily it was easier to find music than in previous decades. The internet saved my teenhood. Without the internet, it would have sucked. I'm really glad I got to experience so many kinds of music at a young age.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/26/11 at 5:04 pm

Luckily it was easier to find music than in previous decades. The internet saved my teenhood. Without the internet, it would have sucked. I'm really glad I got to experience so many kinds of music at a young age.

Hi nintieskid999, where have you been lately? LOL.

Yeah, music is getting better, but painfully slow. It's almost decent, but it's still in the 'under average' category in my opinion!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/26/11 at 5:09 pm

Yeah, music is getting better, but painfully slow. It's almost decent, but it's still in the 'under average' category in my opinion!

Been pretty busy but I still like to check on this forum lol. I think popular music will be much better by the mid 2010s. Music right now is much better than the late 2000s but worse than say 2002. Hopefully we have more variety by then. I think the 00s was weird in that the worst of the decade was the most promoted and a lot of the good music was under the surface. No wonder so many turned to the internet!

Written By: Howard on 11/26/11 at 7:15 pm

90s music - 8, very good
10s music - 3, not good

80's music: excellent.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/11 at 7:19 pm

I don't care what anyone says the 80's music was better than today's music.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/26/11 at 8:20 pm

I don't care what anyone says the 80's music was better than today's music.

I agree! 80s music was and is 10X better than today's music! 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/11 at 1:38 am

For me add 60's and 70's to the list.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/11 at 6:35 am

Back then they used "real" instruments.

Written By: Creeder on 11/27/11 at 4:05 pm

Saxophone solo's rule!  8)

I agree that most of 00s mainstream music sucks, but there were many good artists and bands with moderate or high success. Plus 00s were my teen years so I love them.
2010s music is strong on good for party electropop hit singles. I enjoy the new hits, but I need more deep music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/11 at 1:02 pm

Back in the 50's and 60's too!

Written By: Howard on 11/28/11 at 1:05 pm

Back in the 50's and 60's too!

and real voices too not some fake autotune crap.

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/28/11 at 2:03 pm

and real voices too not some fake autotune crap.

Howie, does your single feature Autotune?

Written By: troy88 on 11/28/11 at 6:47 pm

Like i say, i think Music is better in this decade than stuff from the 2000's....just saying http://images.4chan.org/b/src/1322527170795.jpg      I don't think so and Kylie Mole agrees!!!  ;)

Written By: kairosan on 11/29/11 at 2:53 am

Previous decades of music was great

1950's. That's when rock was introduced, the old heads were used to the music that they grew up with during or before ww2 but the young kids liked it

1960's was the time that rock funk and psychedelic music became popular and the Beatles changed the directions of music. A far cry from your great grand parents favorite tunes

1970's Still had psychedelic funk and rock but would later progress into something of Disco by 1975. The Bee Gees, Earth Wind And Fire,Pink Floyed hit mainstream pop success. Also you had rock bands like Kiss, later in that decade punk and new wave

1980's You had a new. Wave sound. Followed by pop music from Madonna and Boy George. Hair metal and rap became a trend in the late 1980's

1990's We have seen the New Jack Swing movement, Grunge,Hip-Hop gangsta rap become highly favored. But then Boy bands and saturated pop era began as the 90's went to a close. At this point, mass produced material was more than just the norm.

2000's We still saw boy bands, but also Nu metal and post Grunge music in addition some gangsta rap. In by the end of the decade we saw rock fading away and being replaced by electric music and dancing and house music. And Ring tone rap was popular

2010's dubset 

Written By: Howard on 11/29/11 at 6:23 am

Howie, does your single feature Autotune?

What?  ??? I don't have an album.  ::)

Written By: Emman on 11/29/11 at 10:04 am

Previous decades of music was great

1950's. That's when rock was introduced, the old heads were used to the music that they grew up with during or before ww2 but the young kids liked it

1960's was the time that rock funk and psychedelic music became popular and the Beatles changed the directions of music. A far cry from your great grand parents favorite tunes

1970's Still had psychedelic funk and rock but would later progress into something of Disco by 1975. The Bee Gees, Earth Wind And Fire,Pink Floyed hit mainstream pop success. Also you had rock bands like Kiss, later in that decade punk and new wave

1980's You had a new. Wave sound. Followed by pop music from Madonna and Boy George. Hair metal and rap became a trend in the late 1980's

1990's We have seen the New Jack Swing movement, Grunge,Hip-Hop gangsta rap become highly favored. But then Boy bands and saturated pop era began as the 90's went to a close. At this point, mass produced material was more than just the norm.

2000's We still saw boy bands, but also Nu metal and post Grunge music in addition some gangsta rap. In by the end of the decade we saw rock fading away and being replaced by electric music and dancing and house music. And Ring tone rap was popular

2010's dubset 

You forgot emo and crunk/dirty south rap for the '00s

It's looking more likely that the '10s music scene(on the rock side) might be more indie-ish, maybe even more socially conscious.
For the early '10s any kind of very hard dance music in general seems to be very dominant, be it dubstep, electro-house,ect.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/06/11 at 5:32 pm

I listened to 12 songs in a row to see if I could stand listening to the radio anymore. I didn't like all of them, but all of them were bearable.

I remember trying to listen to 10 songs in a row in about 2007 and only making it to song number 3 or 4. That's how bad music was during that time.

I think the whole 'sucky music' phase of the music industry peaked from about 2004-2009 and has slowly gotten better. I think music will be shallow and upbeat in the first half of the 10s, and become deeper and even better by 2015.

There was a time I thought music would get so bad that all we were going to hear on the radio by 2010 was scratching noises and fart sounds! Thank God I was and am proven wrong.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/11 at 7:08 pm

I listened to 12 songs in a row to see if I could stand listening to the radio anymore. I didn't like all of them, but all of them were bearable.

I remember trying to listen to 10 songs in a row in about 2007 and only making it to song number 3 or 4. That's how bad music was during that time.

I think the whole 'sucky music' phase of the music industry peaked from about 2004-2009 and has slowly gotten better. I think music will be shallow and upbeat in the first half of the 10s, and become deeper and even better by 2015.

There was a time I thought music would get so bad that all we were going to hear on the radio by 2010 was scratching noises and fart sounds! Thank God I was and am proven wrong.

music is better in the 80's decade.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/06/11 at 8:20 pm

I never really tried to listen to 10 songs in a row in 2007. Whenever I hated a song, I just tried changing the channel as little as I couild at a time (picking up stations hardly anyone knew about) until I found something I liked. I did the same with TV; I never just left a station on. I kept finding programs to record for the DVR and flipped through the stations in the meantime. I do the same thing today.

Check for new replies or respond here...