inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rihanna reigns over UK pop charts

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/11 at 1:52 pm

Pop star Rihanna has topped both the album and singles chart in the UK.

Talk That Talk, her sixth album, took the top spot in one of the busiest weeks for new releases this year.

Meanwhile, her single We Found Love racked up six weeks at number one, fighting off competition from X Factor stars Olly Murs and Kelly Rowland.

Rihanna scored a further three singles in the top 40, with new album tracks securing chart places alongside her duet with R&B star Drake, Take Care.

The 23-year-old also looks set to have the number one album in the US this week.

Her success cements her position as one of the top female artists in the recording industry, having sold more than 20 million albums in total.

This comes despite - or perhaps because of - her tendency towards lewd lyrics and provocative videos, which have often landed her in trouble with censors.

Born in Barbados in 1988, the singer has rarely been out of the charts since her debut single Pon De Replay in 2005.

She won her first Brit award, for best international female, this year and is currently in the middle of a 10-night run at London's O2 arena.

Elsewhere in the album charts, boy band One Direction scored a new entry at number two with their debut album Up All Night.

Westlife's swansong greatest hits album entered the charts at four, just ahead of Kate Bush's newest record, 50 Words For Snow.

Adele's 21, which is the year's biggest-seller, dropped one place to number nine, raising the prospect that it could fall out of the top 10 for the first time since its release in January.

However, Christmas sales are likely to reverse its chart decline over the next few weeks.

Subject: Re: Rihanna reigns over UK pop charts

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/11 at 9:15 pm

I like that Rihanna song mostly because of Calvin Harris.  He is one of my top favourite artists of today

Written By: Emman on 11/28/11 at 3:26 am

At first I hated We Found Love but now I'm starting to like mostly the choppy euro-ish beat, the song seems to slow down on the second verse giving it a more trippy, druggy vibe.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/11 at 6:59 am

I think her song Umbrella is cool.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/28/11 at 7:17 am

I've been listening to the new album this week, it's pretty good. Though I think I like her last better. "Only Girl", "What's My Name", and "S&M" were such fun, catchy songs. We Found Love is decent but it isn't as good as Only Girl to me.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/11 at 9:29 am

Personally, I think Rihanna is at her peak right now and if I were her I'd be enjoying every last drop of it.

The girl is amazing and unstoppable. She's been around since 2005 and has been able to change with the times and keep making hit records!

In the future, 2010-2012 will be known as her peak period.

Written By: Creeder on 11/28/11 at 3:51 pm

Personally, I think Rihanna is at her peak right now and if I were her I'd be enjoying every last drop of it.

The girl is amazing and unstoppable. She's been around since 2005 and has been able to change with the times and keep making hit records!

In the future, 2010-2012 will be known as her peak period.

She was huge in 2007 with "Good Girl Gone Bad" album and the monster hit "Umbrella".

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/11 at 4:03 pm

She was huge in 2007 with "Good Girl Gone Bad" album and the monster hit "Umbrella".

I think she's an even bigger star now.

Written By: nally on 11/29/11 at 5:29 pm

I remember that. I liked that record.

A year earlier, she had a huge hit with "S.O.S." which sampled the Softcell song "Tainted Love."

Check for new replies or respond here...