inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Should You Tell Your Kids Santa Isn't Real?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/02/11 at 1:19 pm

Hey Y'all!

I reading the news online and came across a tidbit where a news anchor let it fly that Santa Claus wasn't real on the air and got a lot of backlash from angry parents. And that got me to thinking. Just how old should you let your child get before you tell them that Santa Claus isn't real. Should they be older--I literally had an uncle who beleived in Santa until he was TWELVE and then wanted to fight when my grandmother told him Santa wasn't real. Or should you just tell them as soon as they're old enough to realize Santa isn't real?

http://wp.appadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/santa.jpg

To be honest, I found out Santa wasn;t real when I was five years old, on Christmas Eve 1991. I was on my way through the living room to the bathroom, and found my mom sitting in the middle of the floor, trying to assemble a Barbie motorhome for me. And at five I was like, well if Santa was real, he'd have delivered it completed, instead of Mom sitting there, covered in glitter stickers and cussin. And it didn't bother me. Like I didn;t care. If I wanted a Barbie, I asked Mommy, and if it appeared under the tree, I was HAPPY.

I don't think it destroyed who I was. Or changed who I was.

And really, if I saw a strange man in my house in red velvet pajamas, putting toys on the floor, I'd probably beat him to death for breaking and entering! LOL!
Well, what do you think? I'd like to hear  your feedback.

Subject: Re: When Should You Tell Your Kids Santa Isn't Real?

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/11 at 1:58 pm

There is no "set" age. It depends on the maturity of the child.  But one thing is for sure...the only person who has the right to divulge this info is the parent.   

Last nite's NY News reported that a second grade teacher "educated" her 7 yr old students on Santa's existence (well lack there of)

When I was about 6 or 7  I was watching Miracle on 34th St.... it was a movie about proving/disproving the existence of Santa.  As I watched Santa sit on trial I decided to test the waters... Mommy, there really isn't a Santa is there?  My mom never tried to have discussion with me or told me to finish watching the movie to decide for myself... nope... she just said No, Santa's not real....and with that my whole belief system came crashing down...    :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/11 at 2:10 pm

the clip from the news reporter in question comes about 3 minutes into this video

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/02/news-anchor-santa-denial-_n_1125422.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/02/11 at 2:20 pm

What? Santa isn't real?

AWWWW MAN!!!!!!  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/11 at 2:32 pm

What? Santa isn't real?

AWWWW MAN!!!!!!  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

then who was that dude making out with mommy un-der-ne-ath-the-mis-tle-toe-last-night?  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 12/02/11 at 3:18 pm

Never tell a child there isn't a Santa Claus.  They will figure it out themselves, any parent worth his salt will keep that myth alive long into their childs 30s.  ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/02/11 at 3:22 pm

Never tell a child there isn't a Santa Claus.  They will figure it out themselves, any parent worth his salt will keep that myth alive long into their childs 30s.   ;)

I agree!

There is no "set" age. It depends on the maturity of the child.  But one thing is for sure...the only person who has the right to divulge this info is the parent.   

Last nite's NY News reported that a second grade teacher "educated" her 7 yr old students on Santa's existence (well lack there of)

When I was about 6 or 7  I was watching Miracle on 34th St.... it was a movie about proving/disproving the existence of Santa.  As I watched Santa sit on trial I decided to test the waters... Mommy, there really isn't a Santa is there?  My mom never tried to have discussion with me or told me to finish watching the movie to decide for myself... nope... she just said No, Santa's not real....and with that my whole belief system came crashing down...    :\'(

That's so sad...

Written By: Dagwood on 12/02/11 at 5:25 pm

I agree with Q in that it depends on the maturity of the child.  Sarah asked me about it when she was in second grade.  I told her the truth, but also told her that she wasn't to tell any of the kids that she knew that still believed.  She wasn't hurt or freaked out. 

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/02/11 at 6:12 pm

Megan stopped believing last year at 10 years of age Hunter still believes but last year a kid in his class was telling the kids that there wasnt a Santa.  If Either of my kids knew at a young age I would make sure they didn't spoil it for other kids.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/02/11 at 6:52 pm

Never tell a child there isn't a Santa Claus.  They will figure it out themselves, any parent worth his salt will keep that myth alive long into their childs 30s.   ;)

I agree. 

I went through few years in which I believed in the spirit of Santa Claus, but I knew it was mom filling my stocking. 

"Well, I'm not a Santa Claus literalist..." I'd say to the other guys around the sandbox.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/urcool.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/02/11 at 7:00 pm

Santa DOES exist. Ok, so he may not be a fat guy who lives at the North Pole with a bunch of elves but there really is a Santa. Santa exist in every parent who stays up on Christmas Eve wrapping gifts. And he exist in those people who stand out in the cold ringing a bell along with the people who put $$$ in those kettles. And he exist in the people who are feeding those who are homeless or who have very little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aevy8jIBZmM 

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/11 at 7:24 pm

When the moon is in the 7th house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars,
Then piece will guide the planet, then love will fill the stars....

Oops! My mind was wandering when I wrote that!  ;D

Anyways, my answer is age 10 or 11. I don't know why, but I think that's the age they learn about the birds and the bees in school. ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/02/11 at 7:50 pm

then who was that dude making out with mommy un-der-ne-ath-the-mis-tle-toe-last-night?  :o

some guy with a white beard.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/02/11 at 7:53 pm

I think in their late teens. I remember growing up thinking there was a "tooth fairy" when someone left money under my pillow, Boy those were the days.

Written By: gibbo on 12/02/11 at 8:21 pm

age 1 ....   

Written By: wildcard on 12/02/11 at 8:50 pm

I'm with Q, the on the maturity of the kids, but I myself would have like to been told as soon as possible.  It is a  lie.  reading Cats post has got that some day at christmas song in my head.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/02/11 at 8:52 pm

My answer is to never tell them it's real in the first place.  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/11 at 8:57 pm

YOU MEAN HE IS NOT REAL ?!?!?!?!??!??!??!??!??!??

Written By: wildcard on 12/02/11 at 9:04 pm

you'll have to speak up  I've sweat dreams, couldn't hear

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/11 at 10:41 pm

My mom's confirmation came when I was in 1st grade.  I know this because it was our first yr in panama.  The yr before I was in kindergarten in las Vegas.  I had a birthday party and i was all shocked and surprised when Santa made a guest appearance at my birthday party.  It was super cool, but we were all confused cuz Santa was black.  ;D I didn't know it was my dad but I was pretty sure it wasn't the "real" Santa.

Aside from that I didnt start seeing black santas (figurines and stuff) until the early to mid 90s I sort of collect them... meaning....I don't really do Xmas decor but if I see a black santa i have to have it  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 12/02/11 at 10:49 pm

I'm not sure if Jason really believes or if he's just humoring me.  However, that cow had no right to be such a grinchy bitch about it.  She's the local anchor for us and she always looks like she's sucking on lemons.  Good thing I don't watch FOX news. :p

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/11 at 10:52 pm

So....

what's you guys' favorite Madonna record?

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/11 at 10:57 pm

I'm not sure if Jason really believes or if he's just humoring me.  However, that cow had no right to be such a grinchy bitch about it.  She's the local anchor for us and she always looks like she's sucking on lemons.  Good thing I don't watch FOX news. :p

;D

You were one of the first people I thought of when I saw it.  I was thinking that woman is no sue Simmons.  Sue Simmons would never betray her audience like that.  

I get ny news so I see sue Simmons more than I see la or even Santa Barbara news anchors.    ;D

I know nothing else about her but she always comes across as polite, caring & professional.  ' cept or that one time when she wasn't.  ;D

Sue drops the F bomb live  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYAMDhVT50I&sns=em

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/02/11 at 11:31 pm

I think lots of kids have doubts about Santa but are afraid to say anything because they're afraid that if they say something they won't get presents.

When Megan was 4 she asked me why Santa's handwriting on the tags was the same as mine.  I thought she had it figured out. 

Hunter wanted to know why I was looking at the Best Buy website and why was I looking at Nintendo 3ds.  I think he's figuring it out especially since his sister didn't even write a letter to Santa.

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/11 at 11:42 pm

You should tell him she texted Santa.  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 12/03/11 at 12:41 am

;D

You were one of the first people I thought of when I saw it.  I was thinking that woman is no sue Simmons.  Sue Simmons would never betray her audience like that.   

I get ny news so I see sue Simmons more than I see la or even Santa Barbara news anchors.    ;D

I know nothing else about her but she always comes across as polite, caring & professional.  ' cept or that one time when she wasn't.  ;D

Sue drops the F bomb live  ;D

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAA!!!!  That was awesome! ;D

Yeah, if I watch the news over here, I stick to WGN because the morning news anchors are frickin' hilarious.

I think lots of kids have doubts about Santa but are afraid to say anything because they're afraid that if they say something they won't get presents.

When Megan was 4 she asked me why Santa's handwriting on the tags was the same as mine.  I thought she had it figured out. 

Hunter wanted to know why I was looking at the Best Buy website and why was I looking at Nintendo 3ds.  I think he's figuring it out especially since his sister didn't even write a letter to Santa.

I thought about the handwriting issue and used a silver pen and fancy handwriting.  Since my normal handwriting is chicken scratch, it worked out well. :D

I fully expect this to be the last year that Jason believes in Santa.  I'm not sure how much he's buying my story about Santa shipping early through Amazon, though.

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/11 at 1:14 am

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAA!!!!  That was awesome! ;D

Yeah, if I watch the news over here, I stick to WGN because the morning news anchors are frickin' hilarious.

I thought about the handwriting issue and used a silver pen and fancy handwriting.  Since my normal handwriting is chicken scratch, it worked out well. :D

I fully expect this to be the last year that Jason believes in Santa.  I'm not sure how much he's buying my story about Santa shipping early through Amazon, though.

Wow the next gen Santa is mighty resourceful.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/03/11 at 6:19 am

My answer is to never tell them it's real in the first place.  ::)

Let them figure it out for themselves.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/11 at 6:22 am

You should tell him she texted Santa.  ;D

Now YOU can text Santa at S A N T A or his elves themselves. Only 99c a minute.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/03/11 at 6:22 am

Age 65  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/11 at 11:34 am

;D

You were one of the first people I thought of when I saw it.  I was thinking that woman is no sue Simmons.  Sue Simmons would never betray her audience like that.  

I get ny news so I see sue Simmons more than I see la or even Santa Barbara news anchors.    ;D

I know nothing else about her but she always comes across as polite, caring & professional.  ' cept or that one time when she wasn't.  ;D

Sue drops the F bomb live  ;D

Way back in the dark ages, I used to watch Sue Simmons on Live At Five on WNBC in NY. That was the first news show that I remembered really liking.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/11 at 11:52 am

Way back in the dark ages, I used to watch Sue Simmons on Live At Five on WNBC in NY. That was the first news show that I remembered really liking.

Cat

I've been laughing a Greg Kelly long before Joel mchale started making fun of him on the soup.  ;D
I love getting ny stations in Cali.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/11 at 1:32 pm

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/images/f/funny_santa_claus-11430.bmp

Written By: Brian06 on 12/03/11 at 2:08 pm

Christmas 1995 was the last one I believed it, I remember the other kids in 3rd grade already told me it was fake but I was still holding out ROFL.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/11 at 7:13 pm

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/images/f/funny_santa_claus-11430.bmp

But... But... Santa IS REAL.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/03/11 at 7:32 pm

But you're Jewish.  Wouldn't he be Rabbi Claus? ???  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/03/11 at 7:57 pm

But you're Jewish.  Wouldn't he be Rabbi Claus? ???   ;D

http://radioactiveliberty.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/santjew01.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/03/11 at 8:00 pm

But you're Jewish.  Wouldn't he be Rabbi Claus? ???   ;D

Since this thread just went pear-shaped, I might as well throw my two bits' worth in:

http://skammie.net/pictures/albums/userpics/10001/santa-jesus.jpg

My serious answer to the question: "Before your kids see this motivational poster".

I actually liked Max's and Dags' answers from the first page -- does it really matter, so long as you get a few days off work to hang out with your family, eat turkey, give each other presents, or whatever else it is that you do towards the end of the year?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/11 at 8:11 pm

But you're Jewish.  Wouldn't he be Rabbi Claus? ???   ;D

Howard already answered your question...

Santa Israel!

http://rlv.zcache.com/jewish_santa_sticker-p217001731383661433tdcj_210.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/11 at 8:46 pm

I guess we're both wrong. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 12/04/11 at 6:34 am

I guess we're both wrong. :-\\

Why would you be wrong?  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/04/11 at 6:37 am

http://media.fakeposters.com/results/2010/12/12/k6k2wzzavc.jpg

Merry F---in Christmas! ;D

Written By: bigdsketch on 12/12/11 at 11:29 pm

My parents always told me that Santa Claus wasn't real as far as i can remember..i'm 19 now and i grew up fine  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/13/11 at 6:43 am

when they're old and gray.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/13/11 at 12:21 pm

When they discover that cartoon characters (including Santa Claus) are voiced and drawn (or photoshopped nowadays) by real people, plus they see that there's no buildings at the North Pole when they do a Google Image search and that it's scientifically impossible to carry billions of presents on a single sleigh, yet alone deliver to hundreds of millions of houses on a single night before the sun comes up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/11 at 1:19 pm

When a crashed sleigh is seen in the street.

Written By: snozberries on 12/13/11 at 2:34 pm

When they discover that cartoon characters (including Santa Claus) are voiced and drawn (or photoshopped nowadays) by real people, plus they see that there's no buildings at the North Pole when they do a Google Image search and that it's scientifically impossible to carry billions of presents on a single sleigh, yet alone deliver to hundreds of millions of houses on a single night before the sun comes up.

SCROOGE!  :P  :D

Santa's house & workshop can't be seen by google earth because it's protected by the same cloaking device that shields the Fortress of Solitude!!!
And Santa doesn't carry a billion presents on his sleigh, he has a magic sack that is like a teleportation device. The elves at the north pole put the gift in at their end then Santa reaches in his sack and pulls it out on his end.  

Written By: Howard on 12/13/11 at 2:36 pm

with loads of blood and gore laid out.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/13/11 at 8:14 pm

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/13/11 at 8:15 pm

with loads of blood and gore laid out.  ;D

;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/14/11 at 9:43 pm

Santa?  That's nothing.

http://i.imgur.com/hBWrs.jpg

Wait'll they learn what really happened to Frosty the Snowman.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/11 at 3:24 am

http://llwproductions.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/frosty-gets-caught-picking-his-nose.jpg

Gnyuk Gnyuk Gnyuk Gnyuk Gnyuk!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/11 at 3:58 am

http://www.totaldiatribe.com/img/snowman7.jpg

There ain't nothing in Room 237, but you ain't got no business in there anyhow, so STAY OUT!
:o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/11 at 4:12 am

In some cases, you might have to break it to them for their own good...

http://rubnspit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Gerald-Sandusky-santa.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/15/11 at 6:45 am

Santa?  That's nothing.

http://i.imgur.com/hBWrs.jpg

Wait'll they learn what really happened to Frosty the Snowman.

The kids shouldn't be told what happened to Frosty.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/15/11 at 6:46 am

http://llwproductions.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/frosty-gets-caught-picking-his-nose.jpg

Gnyuk Gnyuk Gnyuk Gnyuk Gnyuk!

;D

Written By: Dagwood on 12/15/11 at 7:09 am

http://www.totaldiatribe.com/img/snowman7.jpg

There ain't nothing in Room 237, but you ain't got no business in there anyhow, so STAY OUT!
:o

Awesome Shining reference. ;D ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/18/11 at 12:45 am

The kids shouldn't be told what happened to Frosty.  ;D

Nor should they know where they came from.

http://vista-wallpaper.org/wp-content/gallery/funny-pictures/funny5.jpg

I've probably set up a joke involving the words "plow" and "somesnowbody's mom", but that's left as an exercise for the reader.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/11 at 6:24 am

Nor should they know where they came from.

http://vista-wallpaper.org/wp-content/gallery/funny-pictures/funny5.jpg

I've probably set up a joke involving the words "plow" and "somesnowbody's mom", but that's left as an exercise for the reader.

But how do snowpeople have sex?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...