inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My 2012 predictions

Written By: Emman on 12/11/11 at 6:15 pm

worsening euro debt crisis, maybe even global economic crisis towards end of year
OWS will be blamed for a major riot in a US city, possibly during the summertime
expect more global protests and civil unrest
harder dubstep-ish pop will become more popular, blending in with the currently dominant electro-house trend
vaguely psych-electro indie-rock will be the dominant form of rock music
auto-tune usage will decline
Obama will get re-elected
full beards will be a trend among young men
the cultural zeitgeist changing from the reality tv, materialistic '00s to a more anti-corporate, socially conscious one(started by OWS).
some people will over-react to the 2012 prophecies, this could start a kind of spiritual awakening with some or cause further complications
december 21 2012 will come and go and the world(with it's 7 billion people) will still be here
more price inflation for commodities

and a extra one, Lady Gaga will shock again when she appears(perhaps in the spring)with 3 heads on her body ;D

Subject: Re: My 2012 predictions

Written By: 80sfan on 12/11/11 at 8:37 pm

I think the protest of the past year will be even bigger in 2012.

I think Lady Gaga will decrease in popularity.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/11/11 at 9:05 pm

OWS will grow a lot during the summer
Iranians begin protests
World doesn't end
Far-Right/Fascists become popular in Russia
$4.00 gas prices during summer
Obama/Biden defeats Gingrich/Santorum, with Libertarian Gary Johnson getting 5% of the vote
Obama approval ratings around 40% but wins because of moderates angry at GOP nominee/Libertarians winning 5%
Egypt topples military
Syrians topple government
Euro crisis back in full swing by end of 2012

Autotune dies
Lil Wayne loses popularity
Lady Gaga dramtically changes sound
Indie psychedelic becomes the dominant Rock genre
Electro-pop turns more disco-y

Written By: 80sfan on 12/11/11 at 9:14 pm

OWS will grow a lot during the summer
Iranians begin protests
World doesn't end
Far-Right/Fascists become popular in Russia
$4.00 gas prices during summerObama/Biden defeats Gingrich/Santorum, with Libertarian Gary Johnson getting 5% of the vote
Obama approval ratings around 40% but wins because of moderates angry at GOP nominee/Libertarians winning 5%
Egypt topples military
Syrians topple government
Euro crisis back in full swing by end of 2012

Autotune dies
Lil Wayne loses popularity
Lady Gaga dramtically changes sound
Indie psychedelic becomes the dominant Rock genre
Electro-pop turns more disco-y

Sadly, I think this will come true.  :-\\

Written By: guest on 12/12/11 at 12:09 am

worsening euro debt crisis, maybe even global economic crisis towards end of year
OWS will be blamed for a major riot in a US city, possibly during the summertime
expect more global protests and civil unrest
harder dubstep-ish pop will become more popular, blending in with the currently dominant electro-house trend
vaguely psych-electro indie-rock will be the dominant form of rock music
auto-tune usage will decline
Obama will get re-elected
full beards will be a trend among young men
the cultural zeitgeist changing from the reality tv, materialistic '00s to a more anti-corporate, socially conscious one(started by OWS).
some people will over-react to the 2012 prophecies, this could start a kind of spiritual awakening with some or cause further complications
december 21 2012 will come and go and the world(with it's 7 billion people) will still be here
more price inflation for commodities

and a extra one, Lady Gaga will shock again when she appears(perhaps in the spring)with 3 heads on her body ;D

I say definitely higher gas prices. Maybe Obama will get re-elected if Europe doesn't implode and the world doesn't go into recession again. Autotune will definitely decline, and will probably be looked back on as a 2007-2011 transitional phase, same with Lady Gaga. I'm not sure about indie being the future music wise. I think with the economy in bad shape the hipster could very much become viewed as an entitled "core" Generation Y trust fund culture. There are already signs of backlash, and there was a recent New York Magazine article that went as far as to call the hipster dead. The media is also catching on now that the hipster is regurgitating past genres without adding anything new. By the mid 2010s the hipster might become very much maligned. Rap will be interesting to watch, to see whether or not it gets edgier and darker like the mid 90s, or continues getting more synthy and electronic, even as autotune fades.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/11 at 6:35 am

I think Lady Gaga will decrease in popularity.

I think Lady Gaga will pose nude for Playboy.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/11 at 6:44 am

I think something major will happen but not the world ending maybe there will be another snowstorm possibly a 2ft'r maybe even 3ft but as for the world ending, we'll still be here (just in our houses drinking hot chocolate)

Written By: 1PlayerD on 12/12/11 at 9:50 am

I think absolutely nothing special will happen (of course this is a dynamic life.)

If you look at the past predictions, nothing happened.
But if you look at how society and all these problems are as of now, its a mess. I bet something will happen along the lines of our own civilization. A possible economic collapse, or an entire government collapse. Who knows!

All I know is something will fall.

Written By: Shiv on 12/12/11 at 10:44 am

I say definitely higher gas prices. Maybe Obama will get re-elected if Europe doesn't implode and the world doesn't go into recession again. Autotune will definitely decline, and will probably be looked back on as a 2007-2011 transitional phase, same with Lady Gaga. I'm not sure about indie being the future music wise. I think with the economy in bad shape the hipster could very much become viewed as an entitled "core" Generation Y trust fund culture. There are already signs of backlash, and there was a recent New York Magazine article that went as far as to call the hipster dead. The media is also catching on now that the hipster is regurgitating past genres without adding anything new. By the mid 2010s the hipster might become very much maligned. Rap will be interesting to watch, to see whether or not it gets edgier and darker like the mid 90s, or continues getting more synthy and electronic, even as autotune fades.

This could happen, although I think indie rock will outlast the hipster culture, kinda like what happened with grunge (post-indie? :D). Hipster is definitely a 2007-2011 thing.

I can't see rap being all that popular in 2012 and onward, based on whats been occouring since the late 00s and especially since this year (2011). This year was pretty devoid of it, at least on top 40 radio.

I think pop and r&b will continue its foray into synths and Euro influences and indie rock will explode.

Fashion will continue to get even brighter.

I think there will be a pretty large hippie revival as the result of OWS and all the other protesting.

Written By: guest on 12/12/11 at 11:01 am

Its easy to forget that indie rock does not necessarily equal hipster. It was around in the early to mid 90s, before the hipster culture took off around 96' ish. (hipsters really mirror the housing bubble) I do think at this point that people have enough access to the past 4 decades of rock culture to see the trend of every movement getting co-opted by the mainstream (hippies, grunge etc) and are probably too smart for a mass marketed type of thing now, such as a "new" genre. I could see indie getting more influential if the hipster gets backlashed, otherwise it might stay where it is now, sort of underground but influential. Either way the best indie music will still bubble to the top even if people might not be scouring Pitchfork.com for every 8.0 album review. ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/12/11 at 12:51 pm

bus fares will be going up again
Barack Obama will stay as President for another few more years
people will be able to view Tv via computer and be able to change channels.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/12/11 at 9:09 pm

The world will NOT end on December 21st

Written By: Howard on 12/13/11 at 6:44 am

The world will NOT end on December 21st

and how do you know that?

Written By: Dagwood on 12/13/11 at 7:34 pm

and how do you know that?

This is the prediction thread, Howard.  I am making a prediction.  As simple as that

Written By: Brian06 on 12/14/11 at 3:01 am

I think Obama will be reelected though it'll be a fairly close margin.
Congress will probably be divided again and nothing will get done as usual.
Gingrich will be the Republican nominee. I'm just guessing here, but I kinda see it like Kerry's surprise surge in the 2004 Democratic nomination race (remember Howard Dean was the favorite initially and Kerry wasn't really on the radar till what late 2003?) Also the fact that he's a southerner is huge since that is the core GOP base.
Ohio will vote for Obama again, this is what will probably give him the win over Gingrich. After the Kasich/ Senate Bill 5 mess I'm pretty confident in Ohio voting (D) in '12.
Obviously the world isn't ending and then some idiot out there will pick some new date for it to end.  ::)
GaGa is probably gonna fade in the mainstream if she keeps getting weirder, she wasn't as big this year because the music is just getting too weird for the average listeners.
I think Dubstep will become more mainstream in the US, though it'll be the poppier stuff i.e. Nero, Skrillex. Maybe Katy B will make it to America...
I think Ellie Goulding will score a hit.
Dev/The Cataracs will get huge.
Rap will continue to go more in the Wiz Khalifa, J. Cole, Drake, B.o.B, etc. direction while southern rap and crunk is essentially dead.
Urban music to me in the 2010s is generally less party oriented than it was in the '00s crunk era and has a more laid back vibe, on the other hand 2010s pop is probably MORE party oriented than 2000s pop (when you had A LOT more pop/rock stuff). It's an interesting change of feel to me.
Rock yeah I agree indie/electro-rock bands like Foster the People, M83, AWOLNATION, Florence + The Machine, etc. are what should be the future of rock/alternative.
Wii U and possibly the next XBOX are released, along with the PS Vita. The new generation of video games truly kicks off.
Windows 8 released. Affordable, dockable, and light ARM based Windows 8 tablets with long battery life are launched by the end of the year, this will be the future of the computer for the mainstream user IMO. Desktops and traditional laptops eventually will be relegated to the "power user" market by the end of this decade.

Overall I see '12 as a beginning of a new era in some ways (mainly with computing and Windows 8 ) though at its core I see it as a continued progression of what's been happening since circa 2008-2009 which is still very much the changing year of reference.

Written By: kairosan on 12/14/11 at 4:17 am

Okay here we go....

1. Watch China because that's really important

2. Iran, there will be a lot about Iran

3.Fashion will be more vibrant and colorful, feather extensions will be sooo in that you might see some of them laying around on the street. Drench coats will be popular? For girls, it will be colorful eye lashes and rainbow looking hair.

Dubstep will be more enhanced with that whistle robotic sound to the mix, pretty cool

3. 2012 end of the world hysteria
that of which hasn't been since Y2k

4.Attack on free speech

5. Domestic terrorist threat on National security

6. Tablets are thinner and have a different look and feel.

5. Cars look more like tricked up futuristic toys

6. By the end of the year, there is a huge ecomonic crash.

7. The U.S, Mexico and Canada are one, The North American Union and IMF issues a new currency for it, the Amero...by 2014

Written By: Howard on 12/14/11 at 6:37 am

3. 2012 end of the world hysteria
that of which hasn't been since Y2k

And by the next day, people will be so relieved that nothing major happened.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/11 at 6:46 am

Obama will stay president in 2012

remote controls for watching videos and films on your computer making it easier for what your doing

PS4 will be in the making as the new video game console.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/14/11 at 3:26 pm

7. The U.S, Mexico and Canada are one, The North American Union and IMF issues a new currency for it, the Amero...by 2014
Please don't tell me you follow Alex Jones???

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/11 at 10:51 pm

I predict a big band from the 60's will reform, produce a new album and go on tour next year.

Written By: Shiv on 12/17/11 at 6:20 am

I predict a big band from the 60's will reform, produce a new album and go on tour next year.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/B/Beach_Boys/2011/12/16/19133156.html

Written By: Howard on 12/17/11 at 6:22 am

I saw that in the newspaper.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/11 at 6:25 am

cars will be driving themselves while you just be sitting there drinking a cup of coffee or reading a newspaper.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/11 at 7:15 am

So my prediction is coming to be true?

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/19/11 at 11:34 am

The U.S, Mexico and Canada are one, The North American Union and IMF issues a new currency for it, the Amero...by 2014

That would be a bad idea and probably would never happen, especially seeing the problems Europe is having lately.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/11 at 1:09 pm

Another dictator or leader will either get shot or have an ailment.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/20/11 at 3:41 pm

Another dictator or leader will either get shot or have an ailment.
Are there any dictators left now?

Written By: Howard on 12/20/11 at 7:23 pm

Are there any dictators left now?

Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/21/11 at 10:15 pm

cars will be driving themselves while you just be sitting there drinking a cup of coffee or reading a newspaper.

Not exactly widespread in 2012, but that technology already exists, courtesy of Google. 

0EfcOvoQiX8

The future doesn't have to suck.

As part of their testing phase, those cars have already logged about a million miles on public roads.  They handle freeway driving, congested city driving, and even parking lots.  The only accident to date was a fender-bender - which can't be blamed on the robot, because the meat was driving at the time of the accident.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/11 at 11:13 pm

Not exactly widespread in 2012, but that technology already exists, courtesy of Google. 

0EfcOvoQiX8

As part of their testing phase, those cars have already logged about a million miles on public roads.  They handle freeway driving, congested city driving, and even parking lots.  The only accident to date was a fender-bender - which can't be blamed on the robot, because the meat was driving at the time of the accident.
As featured on a James May TV program in the UK.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/11 at 7:01 am

0EfcOvoQiX8

Wow That's really cool. So I guess there is a reason to be on your cell phone.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/26/11 at 10:09 pm

Lady Gaga is already fading in popularity in the mainstream.  She is trying too hard at being a gay icon and in the process has alienated many straight listeners. It wasn't gays alone that made her into the biggest sensation of 2009-10.   She needs to go back to singing fun songs like Poker Face and Just Dance instead of the political garbage she has been pushing in her latest hits.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/11 at 6:38 am

Lady Gaga is already fading in popularity in the mainstream.  She is trying too hard at being a gay icon and in the process has alienated many straight listeners. It wasn't gays alone that made her into the biggest sensation of 2009-10.   She needs to go back to singing fun songs like Poker Face and Just Dance instead of the political garbage she has been pushing in her latest hits.

Lady Gaga has too much of the spotlight they need to focus on someone else.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/11 at 12:27 am

I predict music will continue to suck. ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/28/11 at 6:32 am

I predict music will continue to suck. ;D

yes as always it will.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/11 at 6:33 am

Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez will marry.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/11 at 6:34 am

Justin Bieber will just fade away and will be totally forgotten about!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 12/28/11 at 6:45 am

I agree, no one's gonna care for him as well as Selena Gomez.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/11 at 9:32 am

yes as always it will.

Not in the 80s and 90s.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 12/28/11 at 6:56 pm

Not in the 80s and 90s.  :-\\

music was much better in the 80's and 90's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/29/11 at 1:55 pm

music was much better in the 80's and 90's.
Nah!!! Much better in the 60's 70's!

Written By: Howard on 12/29/11 at 2:27 pm

http://www.2012predictions.net/index.htm

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 12/29/11 at 3:09 pm

I don't think her liberal agenda has anything to do with her fade in popularity. If anything, it's that we got so much of her 09-10 that most got sick already, and many felt that her 2011 songs didn't quite match her past hits. Maybe if she released songs stressing the importance of Christian values and tradition she would see a resurgance?

Written By: Emman on 12/30/11 at 10:19 am

Thinking back on this year 2011, it has been quite a changeful year, something just clicked in people(mostly youth) around the globe, the '00s was a decade of complacency and we were fragmented as a society, but the youth of the world are now loosely banding together(with the help of social media). They know the tired, decaying civic institutions we've had for decades isn't working right, it wasn't sustainable, everything in the '90s/'00s period felt tired out to alot of people, socially and culturally, individualism was at it's maximum in the '90s/'00s(started in the '70s) and this has contributed to the problems we face today. The problems were slowly building for decades and alot of people really ignored them or put them on hold.

This really is Gen Y's true coming of age moment, we need a collective, community based approach to the economic problems, that is how the US got out the last major crisis(Great Depression, World War 2). I am personally glad OWS came along, it shows alot of people are becoming more aware of the causes of the problem and becoming more involved despite all the negative responses from media and people blinded by their own ideology, the next step to take will be to find a proper solution. One possible solution would be to localize agriculture and employment, the key word is sustainability, we need to build new civic institutions and systems from the bottom up. I think our society and culture might actually become more unified as the 2010's progress. I can imagine our society being drasically different around 2030-ish because it is going to take a out with the old in with the new mentality, that 2030 has many possible consequences, the '10s will be a make it or break it decade, the 21st century is literally hanging in the balance.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/11 at 10:25 am

Thinking back on this year 2011, it has been quite a changeful year, something just clicked in people(mostly youth) around the globe, the '00s was a decade of complacency and we were fragmented as a society, but the youth of the world are now loosely banding together(with the help of social media). They know the tired, decaying civic institutions we've had for decades isn't working right, it wasn't sustainable, everything in the '90s/'00s period felt tired out to alot of people. The problems were slowly building for decades and alot of people really ignored them or put them on hold.

This really is Gen Y's true coming of age moment, we need a collective, community based approach to the economic problems, that is how the US got out the last major crisis(Great Depression, World War 2). I am personally glad OWS came along, it shows alot of people are becoming more aware of the causes of the problem and becoming more involved despite all the negative responses from media and people blinded by their own ideology, the next step to take will be to find a proper solution. One possible solution would be to localize agriculture and employment, the key word is sustainability, we need to build new civic institutions and systems from the bottom up. I think our society and culture might actually become more unified as the 2010's progress. I can imagine our society being drasically different around 2030-ish because it is going to take a out with the old in with the new mentality, that 2030 has many possible consequences, the '10s will be a make it or break it decade, the 21st century is literally hanging in the balance.

I agree. I think by 2025 or 2030, the world will feel like a different place!

Written By: Emman on 12/30/11 at 10:59 am

One big change I expect to see is people abandoning the suburbs and living in self-sufficient communties complete with locally grown food, huge biotechnology advances, usage of electronic paper,ect. We are literally going to have to build a new infrastructure and our way of life in general will be pretty different, think back when america was coming off the Great Depression and World War 2, there was massive building of suburbs around the country and this produced a new found prosperity for the middle class, many people's way of life changed alot between the 1930s and 1950s, just 2 decades apart. Now the suburbs will probably become old news in the coming decades replaced with more self-sufficient cities and communities.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/11 at 11:22 am

One big change I expect to see is people abandoning the suburbs and living in self-sufficient communties complete with locally grown food, huge biotechnology advances, usage of electronic paper,ect. We are literally going to have to build a new infrastructure and our way of life in general will be pretty different, think back when america was coming off the Great Depression and World War 2, there was massive building of suburbs around the country and this produced a new found prosperity for the middle class, many people's way of life changed alot between the 1930s and 1950s, just 2 decades apart. Now the suburbs will probably become old news in the coming decades replaced with more self-sufficient cities and communities.

You know what's weird? We're in an economic hard time right now, just like in the 1930s! Weird huh? It's funny how history repeats itself.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/11 at 3:34 pm

Who?

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/30/11 at 3:52 pm

Who?

Cat
You have already forgotten him http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/newyears/grin.gif

Written By: Howard on 12/30/11 at 7:06 pm

I think by then we will definitely have flying cars.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/11 at 7:07 pm

I'd like to see moving sidewalks or escalators especially when crossing the street too.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/11 at 7:23 pm

I think by then we will definitely have flying cars.

Ccoooooollllllllllll.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/11 at 7:45 pm

Ccoooooollllllllllll.

But the problem is where do you park a flying car?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/12 at 10:48 am

Above the car park.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/12 at 1:34 pm

Above the car park.

Maybe in the sky?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/12 at 5:09 am

Above the car park.

Maybe in the sky?  ???
In a multi-storey car park?

Written By: Henk on 01/02/12 at 5:55 am

You know what's weird? We're in an economic hard time right now, just like in the 1930s! Weird huh? It's funny how history repeats itself.

You honestly think that's weird..?  ??? :-\\

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/02/12 at 6:02 am

I have THESE Predictions!

I predict that The Beach Boys will put out another album.

I predict that there will be a "New Years Rockin' Eve" Featuring Dick Clark (With the help of Ryan Seacrest).

I predict that there'll be a celebrity who'll cause controversy.

I predict that Cleveland will not...I REPEAT...Will Not Win a Championship! (Sadly...this prediction ALWAYS Comes True)!

I predict that Cleo will make predictions.

I predict there will be a Major Election next year...however, I can't tell at what level of government will be. I'll say this...If it's Obama...then we're fudgeed!

I predict that someone famous will be in trouble with the law and will ruin their longtime career.

I predict that 12/20/2012 will be another work day. If you think about it, when it's 7 am in New York, it'll be 12/21/2012 in the Pacific. So God has his OWN 2012 that we'll NEVER know about.

I predict that there'll be a celebrity who'll get divorced!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/12 at 9:03 am

I predict that The Beach Boys will put out another album.
Already predicted and dealt with.

So my prediction is coming to be true?

Written By: Howard on 01/02/12 at 3:26 pm

I predict that there will be a "New Years Rockin' Eve" Featuring Dick Clark (With the help of Ryan Seacrest).

I have a feeling Dick Clark might not make it but that's just me, sorry if that sounded morbid.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/03/12 at 6:18 am

Thinking back on this year 2011, it has been quite a changeful year, something just clicked in people(mostly youth) around the globe, the '00s was a decade of complacency and we were fragmented as a society, but the youth of the world are now loosely banding together(with the help of social media). They know the tired, decaying civic institutions we've had for decades isn't working right, it wasn't sustainable, everything in the '90s/'00s period felt tired out to alot of people, socially and culturally, individualism was at it's maximum in the '90s/'00s(started in the '70s) and this has contributed to the problems we face today. The problems were slowly building for decades and alot of people really ignored them or put them on hold.

these changes i think will also felt in 2020s where the developing nations are and will also involve and make more major impacts to the world than ever before as the global super powers are losing their powers

Written By: Howard on 01/03/12 at 7:06 am

I predict that 12/20/2012 will be another work day. If you think about it, when it's 7 am in New York, it'll be 12/21/2012 in the Pacific. So God has his OWN 2012 that we'll NEVER know about.

And It'll be on a Friday the next day.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/03/12 at 9:42 pm

Electropop has peaked and I predict its influence will become less and less throughout 2012 and 2013.  Lady Gaga is becoming a joke and Katy Perry is becoming less and less "electro" and more and more "pop" with every new single.  Hip-hop, which nearly merged with electropop in 2009, is returning to its urban roots. Ke$ha, the second biggest name in electropop only next to Lady Gaga, has announced her next album is going to be a rock album for crying out loud. I think by 2014 the fad will be all but gone.  Two years ago everybody thought electropop would rule the '10s in music, but I think the fad is proving to be more short-lived than anybody could have realized.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/12 at 6:58 am

MTV will go back to music all day and all night.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/12 at 12:03 pm

I haven't made my predictions yet because I have been a bit busy and haven't had time to sit down and think. So, here goes...

-Obama will win reelection.
-The Dems take back the house and pick up seats in the Senate.
-Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin will be recalled.
-Occupy Movement will gain momentum.
-The government of Syria will fall.
-There will be an uprising in Iran.
-Putin will be ousted in Russia.
-The economy will improve slightly.
-There will be a major earthquake in Iran.
-Castro will die.

That's good for starters.

Cat

Written By: HorriblHarry on 01/04/12 at 2:47 pm

I haven't made my predictions yet because I have been a bit busy and haven't had time to sit down and think. So, here goes...

-Castro will die.

Cat

Dear god... Don't even LET Obama get re-elected!

The situation we are in now...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/12 at 2:51 pm

Dear god... Don't even LET Obama get re-elected!

The situation we are in now...

You think anyone who is running on the Repub side is better?

Cat

Written By: RG1995 on 01/04/12 at 3:09 pm

Cat
It really is sad. Obama will go down as a bad president, but the alternative is even worse. Libertarian Gary Johnson or a Green (not a crazy one) is a better option as a statement.

Written By: HorriblHarry on 01/04/12 at 5:03 pm

Cat

I don't care for either side, I just want a better president dammit!
:-\\

Besides, I am not a Republican.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/12 at 7:29 pm

-Castro will die.

Cat

What do you have for the prediction of the weather Northeast for 2012? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/04/12 at 7:31 pm

2012 passings:

Dick Clark
Annette Funicello
Mickey Rooney

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 01/05/12 at 12:45 am

Indeed,MUCH BIGGER!!

Written By: Henk on 01/05/12 at 6:00 am

What do you have for the prediction of the weather Northeast for 2012? ???

I predict you'll be complaining a lot about it. ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/05/12 at 6:57 am

I predict you'll be complaining a lot about it. ::)

That's true.  ;D

Subject: Re:

Written By: bchris02 on 01/05/12 at 6:44 pm

Indeed,MUCH BIGGER!!

I don't think Occupy Wall St is a big of a deal in the grand scheme of things as their supporters are trying to make them out to be.  They are already losing mainstream influence due to their lack of a goal and all the crazies that are being reported by the media.  A lot of people are starting to dismiss them as a fringe, and the more normal ones, at least in my area, are starting to pack up and go home.

Occupy Wall St is really the result of one thing - a generation that grew up getting everything handed to them from their rich baby boomer parents and they can't handle the fact the government is not going to be to them what their parents were.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/05/12 at 7:46 pm

I don't think Occupy Wall St is a big of a deal in the grand scheme of things as their supporters are trying to make them out to be.  They are already losing mainstream influence due to their lack of a goal and all the crazies that are being reported by the media.  A lot of people are starting to dismiss them as a fringe, and the more normal ones, at least in my area, are starting to pack up and go home.

Occupy Wall St is really the result of one thing - a generation that grew up getting everything handed to them from their rich baby boomer parents and they can't handle the fact the government is not going to be to them what their parents were.
I think it has more to do with student debts and the terrible job markets for 20 somethings.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/05/12 at 11:02 pm

Obama gets a bit too much hate from a lot of people imo. Granted he hasn't been perfect, but he hasn't been that bad. There's a lot of crazy talk online about Obama, Government, etc., some is warranted yes, a lot of it is delusional (I'm talking the wacky conspiracy crap). Granted this country isn't perfect, but it's important to remember that it's not very bad here at all and that many places are far worse. I will vote for Obama again despite his faults (which some exaggerate).

Written By: Emman on 01/06/12 at 5:00 am

Obama gets a bit too much hate from a lot of people imo. Granted he hasn't been perfect, but he hasn't been that bad. There's a lot of crazy talk online about Obama, Government, etc., some is warranted yes, a lot of it is delusional (I'm talking the wacky conspiracy crap). Granted this country isn't perfect, but it's important to remember that it's not very bad here at all and that many places are far worse. I will vote for Obama again despite his faults (which some exaggerate).

Isn't that like voting for Bush Jr., he has been almost an exact clone of him, actually kind of worse in some ways(more wars, more debt, signing in indefinite detention of anyone on earth, assisnating a US teenager in Yemen, possibly singing in SOPA in 2012, just being a two-face liar, ect.), Obama is a servant to corporate interests. The things he and his administration has done(quantitative easing) are going to make the economy much much worse, it's like a race to the bottom between Europe and the US. I would kill myself before voting for Obama again and I'm ashamed to admit I voted for him in '08.

It's bad when I have to consider voting for someone like Ron Paul, it's like choose your pick, kind of crazy(Paul) vs. evil(Obama), if Bush had done half the stuff Obama gets away with the democrats/liberals would be in uproar, that's one of the reasons I can't stand politics. The reporting on the indefinite detention bill was mostly blacked out or ignored by the mainstream news media, when the hell did Obama think he can overide due process and the rule of law(this bill gives the executive branch that kind of power), we have probable cause in place to protect us from potential abuses of government power, to have a fair trial before being detained based on mere suspicion. In the end demorats and replubican'ts really aren't that different from each other, it's divide and conquer the masses.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/06/12 at 12:36 pm

I think it has more to do with student debts and the terrible job markets for 20 somethings.

Both of you have no understanding about OWS. You seem to think that it is just 20-something &/or students-it is NOT just students.

Do these people look like 20-something students?
http://www.thelastgoddess.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Occupy-Wall-Street-3.jpg

How about here?

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/files/2011/10/OccupyWallStreetTears-post.jpg

There are teachers, firefighters, veterans, etc. etc. as well as students. It is about the gap between the 1% and the 99% growing.

You really need to read up on it and you will be just as angry as everyone who is out there. Right now, OWS seems to be dwindling because of the weather. As soon as the weather improves, you are going to see those protests increase.

Cat

Written By: RG1995 on 01/06/12 at 2:14 pm

Both of you have no understanding about OWS. You seem to think that it is just 20-something &/or students-it is NOT just students.

Do these people look like 20-something students?
http://www.thelastgoddess.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Occupy-Wall-Street-3.jpg

How about here?

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/files/2011/10/OccupyWallStreetTears-post.jpg

There are teachers, firefighters, veterans, etc. etc. as well as students. It is about the gap between the 1% and the 99% growing.

You really need to read up on it and you will be just as angry as everyone who is out there. Right now, OWS seems to be dwindling because of the weather. As soon as the weather improves, you are going to see those protests increase.

Cat
There are young people in the Tea Party too. That doesn't dispute that fact they are majority older Americans. Same applies to OWS.

Written By: Emman on 01/06/12 at 2:59 pm

OWS is a awareness that the US is heading towards disaster if things continue to go on as business as usual, it will be the first of many movements for civil/government reform. Gen Y has been called Generation F***** for a reason, I don't see the movement dying down it all. They are starting to change up their strategy, closing ports, ect. All this sounds like the usual misguided crap I hear from critics of the movement, you really do miss the big picture ::), this is part of a larger global movement. We have to start thinking about future generations, they will be the ones that will lose if people like you keep that attitude.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/12 at 8:05 pm

I predict the 2010s will be less superficial than the 00s.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/07/12 at 4:37 am

-Castro will die.

that dude is already dead

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/12 at 12:11 pm

He is still alive.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/06/2577179/a-fidel-castro-column-shows-hes.html

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/12 at 12:20 pm

...was that report on wiki?

Written By: Howard on 01/07/12 at 3:10 pm

I predict that it won't be the end of the world on December 21st but It will be a major snowstorm,probably a ft. or more of snow.

Written By: Emman on 01/07/12 at 6:55 pm

The saddest thing I see online is Obama supporters STILL defending this two face dipsheesh even after signing away all our natural rights and ordering the death of a innocent 16 year old boy and his teenage friends. >:( These are "supposed" to be bleeding heart liberals but in reality they are far more idiotic, callous, and dangerous than any hardcore Bush supporter circa 2002, Obama thinks it is okay to assassinate US citizens without due process and detain anyone deemed a "threat" to him and his crony corporate/government fiends. I never thought I'd see a president actually WORSE than Bush but I think Obama definitely qualifies. 8-P OWS exist partly because his failed a** economic policies and this propaganda spreading media tries to prop his sorry a** up.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/07/12 at 7:11 pm

The saddest thing I see online is Obama supporters STILL defending this two face dipsheesh even after signing away all our natural rights and ordering the death of a innocent 16 year old boy and his teenage friends. >:( These are "supposed" to be bleeding heart liberals but in reality they are far more idiotic, callous, and dangerous than any hardcore Bush supporter circa 2002, Obama thinks it is okay to assassinate US citizens without due process and detain anyone deemed a "threat" to him and his crony corporate/government fiends. I never thought I'd see a president actually WORSE than Bush but I think Obama definitely qualifies. 8-P OWS exist partly because his failed a** economic policies and this propaganda spreading media tries to prop his sorry a** up.

Who, exactly is the 16 year old boy (and his friends) that Obama ordered to be put to death?

Written By: Dagwood on 01/07/12 at 7:36 pm

Who, exactly is the 16 year old boy (and his friends) that Obama ordered to be put to death?

I would like to know that myself.  This is the first I have heard of it.

Written By: Emman on 01/07/12 at 8:30 pm

I would like to know that myself.  This is the first I have heard of it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/anwar-al-awlakis-family-speaks-out-against-his-sons-deaths/2011/10/17/gIQA8kFssL_story.html?wprss=

http://www.battleforjustice.com/joomla/index.php/vendetta-red-news-general-news/664-obama-administration.html

In the days before a CIA drone strike killed al-Qaeda operative Anwar al-Awlaki last month, his 16-year-old son ran away from the family home in Yemen’s capital of Sanaa to try to find him, relatives say. When he, too, was killed in a U.S. airstrike Friday, the Awlaki family decided to speak out for the first time since the attacks.

“To kill a teenager is just unbelievable, really, and they claim that he is an al-Qaeda militant. It’s nonsense,” said Nasser al-Awlaki, a former Yemeni agriculture minister who was Anwar al-Awlaki’s father and the boy’s grandfather, speaking in a phone interview from Sanaa on Monday. “They want to justify his killing, that’s all.”

The teenager and his father were not engaged in battle at the time of their deaths, they could have been detained(with a trial) but Obama decided it was time to end their lives. Premeditated drone murder for ya. And then they have the nerve to lie about his age(he's a 21 year old......) upon first reporting of this tragedy, I hope Obama can sleep at night.

Written By: Emman on 01/08/12 at 4:27 am

Even Stephen Colbert and the Daily Show exposes Obama's hypocrisy:

http://www.businessinsider.com/stephen-colbert-ndaa-2012-1

I bet Colbert sure likes Obama now. ::)

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/08/12 at 9:08 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/anwar-al-awlakis-family-speaks-out-against-his-sons-deaths/2011/10/17/gIQA8kFssL_story.html?wprss=

http://www.battleforjustice.com/joomla/index.php/vendetta-red-news-general-news/664-obama-administration.html

The teenager and his father were not engaged in battle at the time of their deaths, they could have been detained(with a trial) but Obama decided it was time to end their lives. Premeditated drone murder for ya. And then they have the nerve to lie about his age(he's a 21 year old......) upon first reporting of this tragedy, I hope Obama can sleep at night.

how the hell he knew that there was a 16 year old American citizen in the field anyways?

Written By: Emman on 01/08/12 at 9:22 am

how the hell he knew that there was a 16 year old American citizen in the field anyways?

Hmm....they were following them for some time, both of them, this was premeditated murder, they could have easily sent in troops to arrest them to avoid killing innocent bystanders, Bush didn't even try this s***(or openly admit it). They could have been detained, they were not engaged in combat when the drone strikes killed them. We don't know whether the teenager was specifically targeted or it was a accident because the Obama administration won't release more detailed info on his murderous orders, it should not have happened in the first place. Obama wanted someone killed(without being charged with a crime) among them, kill a few innocent kids along the way, oh well. THEY WERE NOT CHARGED WITH A CRIME, THEY WERE NOT IN A COMBAT SITUATIOIN, THEY COULD HAVE BEEN BROUGHT IN FOR CHARGES, OBAMA IS A EVIL PRICK, WHAT IS THERE NOT TO UNDERSTAND!

We even gave the Nazi war criminals a freaking trial for gosh sakes but a "supposed" terrorist supporter and his innocent teen son, Obama don't want that.

Written By: Emman on 01/13/12 at 12:17 pm

I thought Obummer and the government couldn't reach new lows but they are trying

IS THIS WHAT THE OBAMA SUPPORTERS SUPPORT!!!
>:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tGqHtrgtH4&feature=related

Ohhh...THIS IS FROM 2009!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8J_lcHwkvc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyzHSx9iKq0

^WILL PEOPLE ACTUALLY RE-ELECT THAT, ARE HIS FANS THAT LOYAL?

Protect IP act
NDAA(Obummer already signed it and had no intentions of vetoing it)
Patriot Act(which Obummer approves 100%)
SOPA
Future Attribute Screening Technology(I am not kidding about this!!!!!)
HR 3166
Police using predator drones
Obama continuing the drug war that decimates minorites in this country

This stuff is straight out of some dystopian science fiction movie or nazi germany.

Kudos to Keith Olbermann, Cenk, and Rachel Maddow for calling out Obama on his endless hypocrisy and false promises, Obama really is a two-faced sneaky little snake, a politician of the WORST kind, we have to get rid of him and all the other snakes.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/29/12 at 7:09 pm

http://summitlake.com/Astronomy/graphics/Bizarro-122109.gif

Written By: RajMahalSoN! on 01/30/12 at 12:18 am

Hip-Hop will continue to thrive, even though people keep calling for it's death. It it does fall from the mainstream, it's not going to be at the hands of anything new. Just something old making the rounds again

90s nostaligia will continue it's way through. With The 90s are All That being a success, and 90s kids basically turning it into a movement(see Tumblr).

Skinny jeans will continue to stay in fashion, since guys dressing in fitting clothes is actually in now(even the drug dealers around my neighborhood dress in fitted jeans, those stussy hats with the ball on the top, and these UGG like boots for males)

Barriers of sexual identification will continue to be broken in fashion

Mainstream culture will continue to pick over the corpse of the long long dead real hipster of the late 90s-mid 00s. Stores like Hot Topic will continue tossing out what's left of their emo/goth garb. For a mainstream watered down hipster look.

Watered down indie like Foster The People will continue to hit the charts. Hipster favorites like Arcade Fire and such, will continue to garner some attention.

Instrumental Hip-Hop like Flying Lotus, Blockhead, and J Dilla(though he's been dead since 2006). Will continue to go unrecognized in the mainstream since their music usually carries no lyrics.

Nintendo will release the Wii U, going back to it's hardcore audience that it lost with the first Wii.

HD TV sets will become more prevalent as always. Cheaper and cheaper.

Vizio will release it's sleek Apple copy laptops to the market. Filling the gap that HP left when they left the market

Facebook will still prevail , especially since they've fixed their privacy problem and is rumored to be taking Vevo from YouTube. And since Google + is struggling.

The last of Generation Y gets out of high school this year (usually pegged as being between 1981-1994)

And the Mayan conspiracy is BS, and will not happen. You'll get up in December 22, and your life will still be the same.

Obama wins again, unless someone else proves themselves.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/12 at 6:24 am

Hip-Hop will continue to thrive, even though people keep calling for it's death. It it does fall from the mainstream, it's not going to be at the hands of anything new. Just something old making the rounds again

90s nostaligia will continue it's way through. With The 90s are All That being a success, and 90s kids basically turning it into a movement(see Tumblr).

Skinny jeans will continue to stay in fashion, since guys dressing in fitting clothes is actually in now(even the drug dealers around my neighborhood dress in fitted jeans, those stussy hats with the ball on the top, and these UGG like boots for males)

Mainstream culture will continue to pick over the corpse of the long long dead real hipster of the late 90s-mid 00s. Stores like Hot Topic will continue tossing out what's left of their emo/goth garb. For a mainstream watered down hipster look.

Watered down indie like Foster The People will continue to hit the charts. Hipster favorites like Arcade Fire and such, will continue to garner some attention.

Instrumental Hip-Hop like Flying Lotus, Blockhead, and J Dilla(though he's been dead since 2006). Will continue to go unrecognized in the mainstream since their music usually carries no lyrics.

Nintendo will release the Wii U, going back to it's hardcore audience that it lost with the first Wii.

Vizio will release it's sleek Apple copy laptops to the market. Filling the gap that HP left when they left the market

Facebook will still prevail , especially since they've fixed their privacy problem and is rumored to be taking Vevo from YouTube. And since Google + is struggling.

The last of Generation Y gets out of high school this year (usually pegged as being between 1981-1994)

And the Mayan conspiracy is BS, and will not happen. You'll get up in December 22, and your life will still be the same.

I agree with some of them.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/16/12 at 12:23 am

I AM GRADUATING THIS YEAR!!!! SO SCARY!!!!

Written By: Howard on 02/16/12 at 7:19 am

I AM GRADUATING THIS YEAR!!!! SO SCARY!!!!

and this June for me will be 20 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/12 at 12:56 pm

Britain's Queen Elizabeth will close her Diamond Jubilee concert by firing a giant laser down the Mall to light a beacon and start the 2012 Great Fire of London.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/12 at 10:02 am

Dexys Midnight Runners
I predict that a pop band from the 80's will make a comeback later this year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/25/12 at 10:05 am

Unfortunately the Wii U is not backward compatible with Gamecube games, which I built a large collection of in the 2000's. Therefore it lost me as part of the audience. The Wii is still awesome though.

I was very close to leaving Facebook for good. I have deactivated my profile once, but reactivated it (since you can never delete it). I did create a Google+ account and thinking more of my friends will switch to it, like how everyone switched from MySpace to Facebook some years back. However, ever since FB changed its privacy settings to be more like G+ (where you can choose who can view what you post), its gotten a lot better. Now, the only annoying thing about FB is status updates (which I can unsubscribe to people if I need to).

I think Romney is the only one who has a chance against Obama, but I still think Obama will be re-elected (though I won't be as excited about it as I was in 2008).

Written By: Howard on 02/25/12 at 7:10 pm

Dexys Midnight Runners
I predict that a pop band from the 80's will make a comeback later this year.

I wonder who could it be.

Check for new replies or respond here...