inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: family sitcom remakes

Written By: Howard on 12/26/11 at 1:10 pm

Just a few hours ago I stumbled upon this really cool website where you can watch vintage television intro clips from the 40's up until the 10's and it got me wondering if you could re-cast some celebrities (actors and actresses) to play the part from the television intros, Who would you want and why? Here's the website by the way:  http://ilovetvintros.com/

Subject: Re: family sitcom remakes

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/11 at 4:01 pm

From just the TV intros themselves, or the actual sitcoms?

One sitcom I really think they could re-do is 'The Golden Girls' but make it more modern with ladies in their 30s or 40s

Written By: Howard on 12/27/11 at 7:33 pm

One sitcom I really think they could re-do is 'The Golden Girls' but make it more modern with ladies in their 30s or 40s

The actual sitcoms from the 70's and 80's.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/11 at 7:40 pm

If I could I would like to remake Gimmie A Break and to play Nell Carter would be the mother from House Of Payne:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_u4206IJT0hQ/Sh8d1sqT_AI/AAAAAAAACSo/kaZQMX-9dU0/s400/40th%2BNAACP%2BImage%2BAwards%2BArrivals%2BJaIP8GI7NoYl.jpg

Cassi Davis

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/11 at 7:46 pm

If I could I would like to remake Gimmie A Break and to play Nell Carter would be the mother from House Of Payne:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_u4206IJT0hQ/Sh8d1sqT_AI/AAAAAAAACSo/kaZQMX-9dU0/s400/40th%2BNAACP%2BImage%2BAwards%2BArrivals%2BJaIP8GI7NoYl.jpg

Cassi Davis

That's a great choice.  She would make a great Nell.  My cable I get dropped TBS from their line-up, so I can't watch House of Payne anymore :(  Thank goodness for TV on DVD.  I get those

Written By: Howard on 12/27/11 at 8:03 pm

To remake Sanford And Son I would choose David Mann to play Fred Sanford:

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/2008_Meet_the_Browns/008MTB_David_Mann_002.jpg

He can be funny and cantankerous at the same time, Who thinks so?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/11 at 8:40 pm

I'm not a big fan of remaking shows... I have yet to see a re-do of a show that I like.

Having said that I wouldn't mind a twist on Webster or Dif'frent strokes where a black family finds a little white kid or two to adopt  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/28/11 at 6:40 am

I'm not a big fan of remaking shows... I have yet to see a re-do of a show that I like.

Having said that I wouldn't mind a twist on Webster or Dif'frent strokes where a black family finds a little white kid or two to adopt  ;D

I'm not sure about Different Strokes, How can you replace Gary Coleman you'd have to find some small actor to play the part, Conrad Bain is still alive he is 90,Todd Bridges could make one or two appearances and Dana Plato you could probably find an actress to play her.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/11 at 6:43 am

I would like to see a Silver Spoons sitcom remade with Joel Higgins making an appearance as a grandparent:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/joelerin1.jpg

Remember these two?

Written By: snozberries on 12/28/11 at 1:11 pm

I'm not sure about Different Strokes, How can you replace Gary Coleman you'd have to find some small actor to play the part, Conrad Bain is still alive he is 90,Todd Bridges could make one or two appearances and Dana Plato you could probably find an actress to play her.

Gary Coleman had an illness the character did not so there'd be no reason to recast based on that criteria

Written By: Howard on 12/28/11 at 6:55 pm

Gary Coleman had an illness the character did not so there'd be no reason to recast based on that criteria

I agree Q.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/13 at 2:18 pm

If you could remake a family sitcom from the 80's and put it in 2013, which ones would it be? How about The Facts Of Life maybe Family Ties or perhaps even Different Strokes? Got any suggestions?  ???

or perhaps educational shows like we used to watch such as 3-2-1 Contact, Square One TV or Reading Rainbow?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/18/13 at 3:18 pm

Have you seen "Hot in Cleveland" on TVLand? It's very much a modern version of The Golden Girls, it even stars Betty White. The actresses are in their 50s and 60s (plus Betty White who is in her 90s) but they dress and try to look like they're in their 30s and 40s. The actresses are actually pretty close in age to the actresses on The Golden Girls at the time of that show's run, but the the difference in their appearances is striking. I guess it's a testament to the vanity and resistance to aging that became the norm for women in the 21st Century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_in_Cleveland#Comparisons_with_The_Golden_Girls

Written By: Howard on 07/18/13 at 7:45 pm

Have you seen "Hot in Cleveland" on TVLand? It's very much a modern version of The Golden Girls, it even stars Betty White. The actresses are in their 50s and 60s (plus Betty White who is in her 90s) but they dress and try to look like they're in the 30s and 40s. The actresses are actually pretty close in age to the actresses on The Golden Girls at the time of that show's run, but the the difference in their appearances is striking. I guess it's a testament to the vanity and resistance to aging that became the norm for women in the 21st Century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_in_Cleveland#Comparisons_with_The_Golden_Girls

I used to watch Hot In Cleveland.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/14 at 7:43 am

How would The Jeffersons fare in 2014 or All In The Family or let's say Different Strokes, Do you think a remake would work considering the demographic wouldn't understand the problems if they had brought up the situations from the 70's? ???

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/14 at 7:50 am

How would The Jeffersons fare in 2014 or All In The Family or let's say Different Strokes, Do you think a remake would work considering the demographic wouldn't understand the problems if they had brought up the situations from the 70's? ???

Well if they remade the shows they'd be talking about today's issues not stuff from the 70s. Unless they remade it and set it in the 70s.  But why would they do that since the original shows from the 70s already exist?

Written By: warped on 01/21/14 at 7:57 am

Well if they remade the shows they'd be talking about today's issues not stuff from the 70s. Unless they remade it and set it in the 70s.  But why would they do that since the original shows from the 70s already exist?

If they remade "All in the family" today, with a character that had the same prejudices Archie had, it would have a tough time staying on the air...or even getting on the air. 

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/14 at 8:03 am

If they remade "All in the family" today, with a character that had the same prejudices Archie had, it would have a tough time staying on the air...or even getting on the air.

Not necessarily.... If they made him ignorant and the butt of the joke rather than the focusing on the jokes themselves it could still work.  There's a reason why stupid reality stars are famous. People wanna watch them step in it. If they were really clever they would write the show so people like the mama Junes & sugar bears  (and whoever)  of the world thought the guy was a freaking genius while everyone else just laughed at his idiocy.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/14 at 8:25 am

The prejudices from the 70's are much different from that of today's prejudices. Just like The Jeffersons, it would have a hard time staying on the air.

Written By: warped on 01/21/14 at 8:32 am

Not necessarily.... If they made him ignorant and the butt of the joke rather than the focusing on the jokes themselves it could still work. 

That might be the only wait it might work. I still foresee lots of people wanting it off the air though.

The prejudices from the 70's are much different from that of today's prejudices.

The prejudices are the same today. Archie was prejudiced against Blacks, Asians, Gays and Women's rights.  That still exists today, sadly.

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/14 at 9:00 am

That might be the only wait it might work. I still foresee lots of people wanting it off the air though.

Yeah....the same people (like me) who want honey boo boo, toddlers & tiaras, jersey shore, the kardaahians, the housewives, the finding "love" with shows off the air.  :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/14 at 9:30 am

Toddlers and Tiaras.  How the hell is that show still on the air?  It's just wrong.  I don't watch TLC anymore

A new All in the Family would only work if it was on a cable channel where they could do what they wanted without fear from the censors. 

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/14 at 9:33 am

Toddlers and Tiaras.  How the hell is that show still on the air?  It's just wrong.  I don't watch TLC anymore

A new All in the Family would only work if it was on a cable channel where they could do what they wanted without fear from the censors.

yeah I barely tune into TLC myself. What do they call themselves these days? They can't possibly still consider themselves the learning channel.  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/14 at 9:40 am

yeah I barely tune into TLC myself. What do they call themselves these days? They can't possibly still consider themselves the learning channel.  :-\\

It's only ever shown as TLC last I watched.  The only thing I learn when watching that channel is how creepy and disturbing some of their shows are

Written By: Howard on 01/21/14 at 3:05 pm

The prejudices are the same today. Archie was prejudiced against Blacks, Asians, Gays and Women's rights.  That still exists today, sadly.

But you can't find anyone in Hollywood that could portray Archie Bunker.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/14 at 3:08 pm

And in the remake you could have Mike and Gloria, the Parents all grown up with children of their own and having their own situations.

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/14 at 4:13 pm

But you can't find anyone in Hollywood that could portray Archie Bunker.

I'm sure there are a few actors in Hollywood who could pull it off. I wouldn't be easy....thankless really.... But it could be done.

I don't know if you ever watched House but Hugh Laurie's character was a lot like Archie Bunker....he played him brilliantly.  He wa hateful, spiteful, racist and said the most horrible things....and you loved him while he was doing it.  Also, like Archie, he had moments where his humanity shone thru.

Written By: Ripley on 01/21/14 at 5:09 pm

I'm tired of remakes.  Not only remakes of actual shows but remakes of ideas.  The same type of boring cliché sitcoms and the same reality tv crap shows.  8-P

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/21/14 at 5:30 pm

I don't know if you could find actors willing to play in a Diff'rent Strokes remake. Tha show had bad juju...

Written By: warped on 01/21/14 at 6:04 pm

This might be for another topic but I'm trying to think of whether a sitcom was remade into a movie...and the movie was actually good/decent.
Someone can start it, if there isn't already a topic like that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/21/14 at 6:20 pm

This might be for another topic but I'm trying to think of whether a sitcom was remade into a movie...and the movie was actually good/decent.

The original McHale's Navy movie (in the 60"s) was a successful movie spinoff of a sitcom.  :) 8)

Written By: Ripley on 01/21/14 at 6:22 pm

The Twilight Zone movie was good.

Written By: Ripley on 01/21/14 at 6:23 pm

The Addams Family and The Addams Family Values are excellent!

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/14 at 7:01 pm

The Brady Bunch Movie in 1995.  It had 2 sequels (though I wish it only had one.  The 3rd one was terrible) and I loved the first two.  The second one (A Very Brady Sequel) had a great bit where Roy (Tim Matheson) is commenting on how the Bradys have the biggest collection of 70s memorabilia ever.  Come dinner time, Alice found Roy's "magic" mushrooms and put them in his spaghetti.  When he finds out, he suddenly he realizes he's tripping with the brady's lol  One of my favourite scenes in a 90s movie ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxcM0evtj8

Written By: Ripley on 01/21/14 at 7:10 pm

The Brady Bunch Movie in 1995.  It had 2 sequels (though I wish it only had one.  The 3rd one was terrible) and I loved the first two.  The second one (A Very Brady Sequel) had a great bit where Roy (Tim Matheson) is commenting on how the Bradys have the biggest collection of 70s memorabilia ever.  Come dinner time, Alice found Roy's "magic" mushrooms and put them in his spaghetti.  When he finds out, he suddenly he realizes he's tripping with the brady's lol  One of my favourite scenes in a 90s movie ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxcM0evtj8

I loved the first two  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/21/14 at 7:23 pm

The Facts of Life Reunion was also a pretty good movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Facts_of_Life_Reunion

http://ingoodcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/the-facts-of-life-reunion.jpg

And then there was the Saved By The Bell Hawaiian Style movie too.

http://www.allvip.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10127/saved_by_the_bell_hawaii_0014.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/14 at 7:53 pm

Those ones don't really count because they were continuations of the TV shows with the same actors playing their same characters

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/14 at 9:38 pm

Go for it warped but make it TV shows rather than just sitcoms.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/14 at 6:49 am

I'm sure there are a few actors in Hollywood who could pull it off. I wouldn't be easy....thankless really.... But it could be done.

I don't know if you ever watched House but Hugh Laurie's character was a lot like Archie Bunker....he played him brilliantly.  He wa hateful, spiteful, racist and said the most horrible things....and you loved him while he was doing it.  Also, like Archie, he had moments where his humanity shone thru.

or you could have Rush Limbaugh to portray Archie but Rush isn't an actor.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/14 at 6:51 am

I don't know if you could find actors willing to play in a Diff'rent Strokes remake. Tha show had bad juju...

just about everyone has passed away except Todd Bridges is the only one alive.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/14 at 6:54 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Facts_of_Life_Reunion

http://ingoodcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/the-facts-of-life-reunion.jpg

http://www.allvip.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10127/saved_by_the_bell_hawaii_0014.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/38/SBTB_-_Hawaiian_Style.jpg/220px-SBTB_-_Hawaiian_Style.jpg

both were good.

Written By: warped on 01/22/14 at 6:56 am

Rush wouldn't have to act, he's already "Archie" in many ways. He'd just have to be himself.

Go for it warped but make it TV shows rather than just sitcoms.

Done.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=49648.0

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/14 at 7:14 am

The I only people who watch that are avid Rush fans

Written By: Dagwood on 01/22/14 at 7:50 am

just about everyone has passed away except Todd Bridges is the only one alive.

Isn't Charlotte Rae still alive?  Danny Cooksey is as well.

Written By: warped on 01/22/14 at 7:53 am

The I only people who watch that are avid Rush fans

http://api.ning.com/files/6jjccC-vZHQ6IgOR5wPv98GDogeUXOkRyUyDrYujo7myDSHvM3NlSEk*muo8GdYVW9oJAHXjBbZ7OTr4uP4w4w__/rushband1978.jpg

Rush!

Written By: Howard on 01/22/14 at 7:55 am

Yes they're alive too as well as the maid.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/22/14 at 8:08 am

Then it's not right when you say only Todd Bridges is left.

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/14 at 8:45 am

Mary Jo Catlett played Pearl the maid the last 4 seasons. Yep she's still alive too.

So is shaver Ross (Dudley)

And Janet Jackson (Charlene)

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/14 at 8:46 am

http://api.ning.com/files/6jjccC-vZHQ6IgOR5wPv98GDogeUXOkRyUyDrYujo7myDSHvM3NlSEk*muo8GdYVW9oJAHXjBbZ7OTr4uP4w4w__/rushband1978.jpg

Rush!

For the record....I totally knew you were going to do that.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/14 at 7:49 pm

Then it's not right when you say only Todd Bridges is left.

Sorry Dag I meant a few of the others too.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/14 at 7:51 pm

You can have Three's Company in 2014 and have Jason Ritter portray Jack Tripper:

http://www.nndb.com/people/178/000051025/jason-ritter.jpg

Would it work?

Written By: Dagwood on 01/22/14 at 7:56 pm

You can have Three's Company in 2014 and have Jason Ritter portray Jack Tripper:

Would it work?

No. 

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/14 at 12:43 am

Would it work?

like dag said...no... it's a little creepy to cast a son in a role made famous by his dad.  Plus I love Jason Ritter but he is not his father and he doesn't have the same comedic timing. Jason is good in funny  roles but he's better in dramatic ones... he's not a physical comic actor tho like John was

Written By: Howard on 01/23/14 at 8:33 am

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/chcoman.jpg

How about Chico And The Man? would this work in 2014?

Written By: Howard on 09/09/17 at 5:25 pm

And speaking of remakes, I read that they're going to remake "The Greatest American Hero", what are your thoughts?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/17 at 5:39 pm

I'd like to see either a remake or a reunion episode of The Cosby Show.

http://mimesislaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/bill-cosby-face.jpg

Written By: Howard on 09/09/17 at 5:50 pm

I'd like to see either a remake or a reunion episode of The Cosby Show.

http://mimesislaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/bill-cosby-face.jpg

I don't think it will happen anytime soon but you never know.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/19 at 7:24 am

Now, they'll be doing a Good Times "remake". For the love of god could they please stop with the remakes, It's not going to work in 2019 because of what happened during the 1970's era will not come off well in 2020.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/13/19 at 11:02 am

Now, they'll be doing a Good Times "remake". For the love of god could they please stop with the remakes, It's not going to work in 2019 because of what happened during the 1970's era will not come off well in 2020.

Oh how the world has turned. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/19 at 1:02 pm

I really like the One Day At A Time remake-in many respects I like it much better than the original. What I prefer the old to the new is the character of Schneider. I LOVE Pat Harrington's Schneider so much better than Todd Grinnell's Schneider.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/13/19 at 2:20 pm

Oh how the world has turned. ;D

I was reading that they'll be doing this on a stage, I'm sure you remember the All In The Family remake last year and this is what they'll be doing. Most likely it will be a small skit being performed from part of the sitcom.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/19 at 2:22 pm

I really like the One Day At A Time remake-in many respects I like it much better than the original. What I prefer the old to the new is the character of Schneider. I LOVE Pat Harrington's Schneider so much better than Todd Grinnell's Schneider.

Cat

Todd Grinnell's Schneider was just weird, something about him was just not as funny as Pat's Schneider during the late 70's - early 1980's.

Check for new replies or respond here...