inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A few things that weren\\\'t mainstream prior to 2010

Written By: odd future on 12/29/11 at 12:09 pm

*Fast casual restaurants like Chipotle, Five Guys, Panera. At least, they weren\\\'t mainstream prior to like 2005. I guess a few of the earlier ones, like Baja Fresh, go back a little ways. But in general it\\\'s much bigger today in the 10\\\'s than it was in the 00\\\'s, and it was almost non-existent in the 90s.

*E-readers didn\\\'t really take off until Christmas of 2009. Like the Kindle and such. And then suddenly they became mainstream pretty much overnight.

*Bruno Mars, Adele, B.O.B., Tyler the Creator

*Dubstep

Subject: Re: A few things that weren\\\'t mainstream prior to 2010

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/29/11 at 12:11 pm

How you forgotten Justin Bieber?

Written By: Henk on 12/29/11 at 12:50 pm

How you forgotten Justin Bieber?

Yes please. :D

Written By: Emman on 12/29/11 at 4:58 pm

Musically, the explosion of dubstep and the commerical peak of dance music in general, the electro-house trend peaked in 2011.
Technologically, tablet computers
Socially, OWS, protests and activism globally
Alot of the fashion is still late '00s-ish though(emo bangs, skinny jeans, crocs, ect.), the fashions of the late part of the previous decade seems to linger alot longer into the new decade.
Like in the '90s frizzy, big hair lingered even until 1994, baggy jeans in the '00s lingered until 2006/2007, and bellbottoms pretty much defined the late '60s and the whole '70s.

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/11 at 6:25 pm

I can\\\'t really hate \\\ on \\\ Justin Bieber \\\ because he is Canadian, but I wouldn't listen \\\ to his m \\\ usic.  I'd do his g/f Selena Gomez though.  She is legal age now :D ;D :D

I'm a dirty old man  :-[

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

\\\ \\\ \\\ \\\ \\\ \\\ \\\    \\\
\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\

\\\\

\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\
\\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/30/11 at 12:58 am

Why the \\\ ?

Written By: Howard on 12/30/11 at 6:44 am

Why the \\\ ?

That's what I want to know.  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/30/11 at 10:06 pm

My guess is that something's escaping the single-quotes.  And something's escaping the backslash that's being used as an escape character.  There's a joke in there about Rupert Holmes and the Wild West, but I'm not clever enough to get from there to santizing user inputs...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/11 at 10:19 pm

My guess is that something's escaping the single-quotes.  And something's escaping the backslash that's being used as an escape character.  There's a joke in there about Rupert Holmes and the Wild West, but I'm not clever enough to get from there to santizing user inputs...

You mean the P\\\ña Colada guy?
8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/11 at 12:48 am

You mean the P\\\ña Colada guy?
8-P

Eeyup.

Couldn't find Pina Colada,
Got caught in Choc-o-late Rain...

Written By: RajMahalSoN! on 01/30/12 at 12:01 am

Artist like Adele, Bruno Mars, and Justin Bieber were always primed for mainstream. No "underground" stage for any of these artist. Pretty much came out on the radio.

Meh, to mainstream Dubstep/Brostep/Mid-Range cack. Check out Mount Kimbie, Nocow, or James Blake

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 02/27/12 at 6:54 pm

Artist like Adele, Bruno Mars, and Justin Bieber were always primed for mainstream. No "underground" stage for any of these artist. Pretty much came out on the radio.

Meh, to mainstream Dubstep/Brostep/Mid-Range cack. Check out Mount Kimbie, Nocow, or James Blake

Adele was underground for a long time before she hit mainstream. She came out in 2008 and only went mainstream and on the radio in 2011.

Written By: Creeder on 02/28/12 at 2:53 am

Adele was underground for a long time before she hit mainstream. She came out in 2008 and only went mainstream and on the radio in 2011.

Her 2008 album was still a hit. She even sang at the grammys and was nominated for 4 awards. What new artist receive such attention?
She was mainstream from day 1.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/28/12 at 4:39 am

Her 2008 album was still a hit. She even sang at the grammys and was nominated for 4 awards. What new artist receive such attention?
She was mainstream from day 1.

True, I remember "Chasing Pavements" from 2008 and her first album "19". It was even a hit in the USA, not as huge as her other stuff but hardly "underground" or not mainstream.

Written By: Henk on 02/28/12 at 5:30 am

*Fast casual restaurants like Chipotle, Five Guys, Panera. At least, they weren\\\'t mainstream prior to like 2005. I guess a few of the earlier ones, like Baja Fresh, go back a little ways. But in general it\\\'s much bigger today in the 10\\\'s than it was in the 00\\\'s, and it was almost non-existent in the 90s.

None of these chains can be found in mainland Europe - or even outside Northern America, for that matter (with the odd exception). So I don't consider those to be mainstream at all.

Check for new replies or respond here...