inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Woman faces jail after making hundreds of hoax 999 calls

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/29/11 at 4:00 pm

A teenager from Cambridgeshire has been warned she faces a possible jail term after making 756 silent 999 calls over the Christmas weekend.

Kerry Ann Moate, 18, of Samuel Jones Crescent, Little Paxton, was arrested at home after police traced her phone.

Huntingdon Magistrates' Court heard Moate dialled the emergency services repeatedly between Christmas Eve and Boxing Day.

She admitted making the calls and will be sentenced in February.

Prosecutors said Moate also made 44 hoax 999 calls between 11 December and 13 December.

She was arrested in the early hours of Tuesday and charged with "persistently making use of public communication networks to cause annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety".

The court was told police had classed finding Moate as "critical" because her actions were putting the public in danger.

Moate has a history of similar offences. Her defence solicitor told the court her client did not know why she had done it.

Magistrates warned her she could be jailed.

Superintendent Paul Fullwood, of Cambridgeshire police, said: "The sheer volume of malicious calls was extremely disruptive to the force at a time of year that is always busy for police.

"Every time someone misuses the 999 they are potentially putting others lives at risk.

"This is especially true when we receive a large number of nuisance calls as it impacts on how quickly other emergency calls are answered.

"This behaviour is completely unacceptable and we will continue to actively pursue those who make malicious calls."

Subject: Re: Woman faces jail after making hundreds of hoax 999 calls

Written By: Dagwood on 12/29/11 at 6:05 pm

Good.  Abuse of emergency lines is not a "funny" thing to do.  What if someone really needed help and couldn't get through?  Not cool.  It irks me almost as much as the people that don't get out of the way of emergency vehicles.  There's a reason they have their lights and sirens going. 

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/11 at 6:08 pm

When I was a kid, I dialed 911, and hung up.  They called back and I got scared, but was even more scared when the police showed up at my house.
I was just a kid.  This 18 year old should know better, but calling it over 700 times?  The mouse running on the wheel must not be working right upstairs

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/11 at 6:12 pm

When I was a kid, I dialed 911, and hung up.  They called back and I got scared, but was even more scared when the police showed up at my house.
I was just a kid.  This 18 year old should know better, but calling it over 700 times?  The mouse running on the wheel must not be working right upstairs

I had a phone with an automatic emergency button right under the disconnect button.  I was dialing in a hurry one morning and -- unaware -- my thumb slipped and I called 911 twice.

A patrolman pulled up to my house and asked, "Who called 911 twice?"
:-[

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/30/11 at 1:41 am

I agree with Jason.  There is obviously something wrong with this girl.  I'm no psychologist, but I'm pretty sure someone licensed would tell you she is reaching out for "help" by dialing 999.  I wonder what her trauma really is...

Written By: Howard on 12/30/11 at 6:41 am

And the question asks, Who told her to do it?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/30/11 at 6:42 am

I had a phone with an automatic emergency button right under the disconnect button.  I was dialing in a hurry one morning and -- unaware -- my thumb slipped and I called 911 twice.

A patrolman pulled up to my house and asked, "Who called 911 twice?"
:-[

Did you get in trouble?

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/11 at 7:53 pm

Jail is not enough... they need to lock her in a room and force her to listen to real 911  999 calls (typed 911 out of habit)  The kind we get where people are actually screaming for their lives or mothers are crying hysterical about their choking babies...or when wives call about domestic abuse and then you hear a struggle and the phone goes silent. She should have to listen to the types of calls that make me so freaking bitter about people and she should have to listen to people die because no matter what the dispatcher did they just couldn't get help there fast enough.  then she should have to sit in a room with dispatchers and let them yell at her for making their job 10 times harder than it has to be...and she should have to sit in a room and listen to cops, paramedics and firefighters talk about all the accidents that have been caused when they responded to an emergency and how many lives were put in danger when they show up and find it is a hoax...

then she should have to talk to the mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters and sons and daughters of people who died because despite all their best efforts they couldn't arrive in time because the 999 operator and emergency resources were busy dealing with her sorry ass  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/11 at 8:44 pm

Did you get in trouble?

Nope.  I just told the cop it was an accident and apologized and he got into his squad car and drove away.  I could have had a kidnapped woman bound and gagged in the basement for all he knew!

Written By: Claybricks on 12/30/11 at 9:54 pm

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20111130&t=2&i=540575943&w=&fh=&fw=&ll=700&pl=300&r=BTRE7AT17QN00

Maybe she was trying to reach Herman Cain.

Dan

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/11 at 10:01 pm

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20111130&t=2&i=540575943&w=&fh=&fw=&ll=700&pl=300&r=BTRE7AT17QN00

Dan

Karma, dude!
:P

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/30/11 at 10:46 pm

For the farking win!

Written By: Howard on 12/31/11 at 6:42 am

Nope.  I just told the cop it was an accident and apologized and he got into his squad car and drove away.  I could have had a kidnapped woman bound and gagged in the basement for all he knew!

You're so lucky.

Written By: Marian on 01/10/12 at 2:16 pm

Jail is not enough... they need to lock her in a room and force her to listen to real 911  999 calls (typed 911 out of habit)  The kind we get where people are actually screaming for their lives or mothers are crying hysterical about their choking babies...or when wives call about domestic abuse and then you hear a struggle and the phone goes silent. She should have to listen to the types of calls that make me so freaking bitter about people and she should have to listen to people die because no matter what the dispatcher did they just couldn't get help there fast enough.  then she should have to sit in a room with dispatchers and let them yell at her for making their job 10 times harder than it has to be...and she should have to sit in a room and listen to cops, paramedics and firefighters talk about all the accidents that have been caused when they responded to an emergency and how many lives were put in danger when they show up and find it is a hoax...

then she should have to talk to the mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters and sons and daughters of people who died because despite all their best efforts they couldn't arrive in time because the 999 operator and emergency resources were busy dealing with her sorry ass  >:(
That would be great!

Check for new replies or respond here...