inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thieves dig 100ft tunnel to steal cash in Manchester

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/12 at 1:02 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/57883000/jpg/_57883222_tunnel.jpg
The passageway was about 4ft (1.2m) tall

Thieves in Manchester dug a 100ft (30m) underground tunnel to get to a cash machine.

The theft happened overnight on Monday 2 January at Blockbuster in Fallowfield Shopping Precinct, Levenshulme.

Thieves dug the tunnel directly under the cash machine and used machinery to cut through more than 15in (38cm) of concrete to steal the money.

Det Sgt Ian Shore from Longsight CID said: "In all my years of service, I've never seen anything as elaborate."

The tunnel started from a railway embankment at the rear of the shop, and went under a car park and beneath the foundations of the store.

The passageway was about 4ft (1.2m) tall and had been fitted with lighting and roof supports.

Police said the offenders also made their getaway back down the tunnel.

Officers believe the people responsible could have spent up to six months digging the passageway.

Det Sgt Shore said: "These people had obviously spent a long time plotting this crime and I doubt they would have been able to keep their plans secret for all that time, without telling others about their scheme.

"They must also have spent a lot of time in the area over the past few months, which people may have noticed.

"I would ask that anyone who may have noticed anything unusual to get in touch."

Subject: Re: Thieves dig 100ft tunnel to steal cash in Manchester

Written By: danootaandme on 01/14/12 at 5:01 am

How much money did they get?  I wonder if they had worked at a legit job for six months would the have made the same or more, considering all the work they had to do.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/12 at 6:11 am

How much money did they get?  I wonder if they had worked at a legit job for six months would the have made the same or more, considering all the work they had to do.

Gotta give these guys their props though. Usually when you read about an ATM heist, it is a story about bumblers who end up tearing the bumper off their car and get caught on video, fruitlessly struggling to dislodge the ATM.

Botched ATM thefts are a staple on "TruTV Presents America's Dumbest..."  :P

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2396/2112392515_43776da8d9_o.png

So to these guys... In recognition of their creativity and hard work in pursuing the heretofore intractable achievement of successfully jacking an ATM... SALUT!  8)

Of course we know they're gonna get caught due to somebody who could not resist blabbing about it.  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/14/12 at 3:19 pm

I thought the same thing!  When I worked at the bank our ATM had about $10,000 in it unless it was a holiday weekend then we upped the amount to $15,000 or $20,000. 

Check for new replies or respond here...