inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Work" Shows on Cable TV

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/15/12 at 5:08 pm

Anybody got any thoughts on what I call "Work Shows" on cable TV?  Shows like Ice Road Truckers, Gold Rush, Axe Men, even Hard Core Pawn and dozens others that follow people at work in a "reality" format.

What's the attraction?  I mean, I get my fill of back stabbing, nit-picking, mean bosses, and deadline-chasing at my day job.  The last thing I want to do when I come home is to see more of that stuff.  8-P

What's the attrcation to these shows, which appear to be in the increase? ???

Subject: Re: "Work" Shows on Cable TV

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/12 at 6:21 pm

In some ways, they are all the same, but depending on which ones you watch, they are quite good, whereas others are just blah

I like Hard Corn Pawn alot.  Was sad when the channel I used to get it on removed it from their line-up.  Even that one with Lizard Lick Towing and Byron the Process Server.  I think it was called All Worked Up.

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 6:21 pm

Sami started a topic about these shows awhile back...you even commented LOL

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=42023.msg2548020#msg2548020

anyway I don't really watch them well I watch like the Apprentice and the cooking competition shows....and shows about people who renovate houses and stuff but the job shows I don't really watch.

There is an appeal tho. Sometimes it might be curiosity about the profession but I suspect a lot of it has to do with the appeal of the people on the shows. They have to be somewhat charismatic (or complete train wrecks )    Sometimes people love to see others self destruct. Others want to see people who's lives suck worse than their own....sometimes people just want escapist fantasy. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/15/12 at 6:35 pm

Sami started a topic about these shows awhile back...you even commented LOL

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=42023.msg2548020#msg2548020

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/12 at 6:42 pm

I like watching American Pickers & American Restoration. I like those because they are not trying to back stab anybody.

I also watch Storage Wars and sometimes I wonder why. I like seeing the "stuff" they get but they are just so nasty to each other. I have seen a show called Auction Hunters which is basically the same concept but without the nastiness. And they get the lockers A LOT cheaper.

I have caught Real Deal a few times which is kind of interesting. Don't care for Pawn Stars. Don't like those guys at all.

The main reason why all of these shows have appeal to me, because it is similar to what we do-we buy junk & sell antiques.  :D ;D ;D ;D 

I also like Holmes on Homes & Holmes Inspection. And I do watch House Hunters & House Hunters International if there is nothing else on. 

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 6:50 pm

I like watching American Pickers & American Restoration. I like those because they are not trying to back stab anybody.

I also watch Storage Wars and sometimes I wonder why. I like seeing the "stuff" they get but they are just so nasty to each other. I have seen a show called Auction Hunters which is basically the same concept but without the nastiness. And they get the lockers A LOT cheaper.

I have caught Real Deal a few times which is kind of interesting. Don't care for Pawn Stars. Don't like those guys at all.

The main reason why all of these shows have appeal to me, because it is similar to what we do-we buy junk & sell antiques.  :D ;D ;D ;D 

I also like Holmes on Homes & Holmes Inspection. And I do watch House Hunters & House Hunters International if there is nothing else on. 

Cat

House hunters, property virgins (with Sandra Rinamato not that new eygypt chick) and my first place... I can (and have) watch those all day long.  I don't really care about HH Int'l but I watch that if nothing is on. 

I like PRop Brothers (but I hate Jonathon with "blonde" hair) 

Oh I have watched a few of the relandscape our property shows.. I hate those because landscaping seems like SOOOOO Much work and I hate gardening so I'm amazed at the times I actually get sucked into watching those.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/15/12 at 7:02 pm

What's the attrcation to these shows, which appear to be in the increase? ???

Because they're cheaper to produce than actual content.

But seriously?  Being an ice road trucker, panning for gold, even running a pawn shop, could be fun for a day.  Compared to most of us - whether we push paper, bits, or carts for a living - that sounds like a refreshing change of pace. 

It's kinda like how airline pilots start at $36000/year: it's sufficiently fun, compared to the alternatives, that many people accept a subsistence wage because getting paid to enjoy your hobby is pretty neat.  But how many of them last the 10-20 years required to turn it into a viable career?

House hunters, property virgins (with Sandra Rinamato not that new eygypt chick) and my first place... I can (and have) watch those all day long.  I don't really care about HH Int'l but I watch that if nothing is on. 

Those drove me nuts.  As soon as I saw shows based around the premise of "investing" $10K in granite countertops in order to sell a $250K house for $300K, I knew the real estate bubble was about to pop. 

Written By: Howard on 01/15/12 at 7:07 pm

I watch Hard Core Pawn sometimes for the stupid people that come in and want to sell their stuff and get screamed at afterwards.

I also like George To The Rescue with George Oliphant.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/15/12 at 8:04 pm

Cat

Love the Pickers.  I only watched American Restoration a couple of times.  Just didn't hold my interest.  I used to like Pawn Stars, but the more I watch the more my opinion flips to the same as yours.  They are rip off artists to the max. 

Love House Hunters.  I haven't watched Property Virgins in a while, I had no idea there was a new host.  I will watch HHI sometimes.  It is fun just to see what homes look like in other countries.

Don't watch the landscaping shows.  I, too, hate yardwork.  Would love a pretty yard with no work.  Guess I need the Brady's lawn. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 8:07 pm

I watch Hard Core Pawn sometimes for the stupid people that come in and want to sell their stuff and get screamed at afterwards.

I also like George To The Rescue with George Oliphant.

My guess is the first time you tuned in it was because you misread the title  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 01/15/12 at 8:09 pm

My guess is the first time you tuned in it was because you misread the title  ;D

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I so owe you Karma for this ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 8:11 pm

Love House Hunters.  I haven't watched Property Virgins in a while, I had no idea there was a new host.  I will watch HHI sometimes.  It is fun just to see what homes look like in other countries.

Don't watch the landscaping shows.  I, too, hate yardwork.  Would love a pretty yard with no work.  Guess I need the Brady's lawn. ;D

The new host isn't bad. I'd totally watch her if she were on her own show but I like Sandra so much that I miss her.  There's only been two new eps.  I missed one of them...

International is okay if I care about the country they are in  but sometimes the people annoy me... like I saw one with a chick from Missouri who married a brit and the whole ep she was speaking in this fake brit accent.  ::)    then she wanted classic cottagey brit housing but with american sized closets WTF is that about....

I watched one the other day where the people wanted an authentic guatemalean but was happy to walk into a home that had granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances.  lol

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 8:11 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I so owe you Karma for this ;D

;D

Written By: Howard on 01/15/12 at 8:26 pm

but George To The Rescue is a work show.

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/12 at 9:09 pm

Depends on what he is rescuing :P

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 9:19 pm

yeah cuz thats the show I was talking about  ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 01/15/12 at 9:42 pm

yeah cuz thats the show I was talking about  ::)

;D ;D

Written By: Henk on 01/16/12 at 5:42 am

I would have invited you into my home, slit your throat, and sell you daughter into white slavery if you dared to do something so savaging to one of my loved ones.  The again, what do about the orphans.  If they get adopted under Roman law they're entitled to their adoptive father's name, rank, and wealth.  A pretty good OUT for Bilbo if he wanted to.

WTF? If that was supposed to be funny, IT IS NOT!

Written By: Howard on 01/16/12 at 6:31 am

Depends on what he is rescuing :P

his job is to rescue people from a damaged home so they can come over and renovate it, I always wondered how many requests he gets in one day for him to come over and fix a home?  ???

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/16/12 at 10:03 am

My sister's friend is going to be on House Hunters International, her husband's job moved him to Belgium (I think).  She said it's totally fake.  They already found a place and moved in and then had to move their stuff out so they realtor could show them the 3 choices.

Oh, I also saw that episode where the girl was talking with her "British" accent.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/12 at 10:49 am

I would have invited you into my home, slit your throat, and sell you daughter into white slavery if you dared to do something so savaging to one of my loved ones.  The again, what do about the orphans.  If they get adopted under Roman law they're entitled to their adoptive father's name, rank, and wealth.  A pretty good OUT for Bilbo if he wanted to.

what daughter? ???
What orphans? ???

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/12 at 10:52 am

thanks henk...honestly it didn't bother me.. mostly I'm confused about what I was supposedly doing to the show---especially since I didn't say anything about the show itself  ::)

plus apparently the "daughter" was to be sold into white slavery but there are also orphans so I guess I have a girl and a couple of boys in max's world?  now THAT'S offensive!!!  >:( :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/12 at 10:56 am

My sister's friend is going to be on House Hunters International, her husband's job moved him to Belgium (I think).  She said it's totally fake.  They already found a place and moved in and then had to move their stuff out so they realtor could show them the 3 choices.

Oh, I also saw that episode where the girl was talking with her "British" accent.  ;D

It was annoying right?  She like completely restructured her sentences and changed some of her word choices to purposely sound more british....

Cool....about you sister's friend.  HA...  I knew some of it had to be staged but I didn't know it was that bad!!! I'd love to see the ep if you remember tell me when it airs.  :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/16/12 at 11:06 am

It was annoying right?  She like completely restructured her sentences and changed some of her word choices to purposely sound more british....

Cool....about you sister's friend.  HA...  I knew some of it had to be staged but I didn't know it was that bad!!! I'd love to see the ep if you remember tell me when it airs.  :)

It was annoying!  I know after a while she'd pick it up, like me picking up a half-assed Southern accent but it was silly. 

I'll have to get my sis to tell me when it's on.  The woman also appeared on Cake Boss twice (not ordering a cake but at two parties/cake reveals and she was on camera both times), she lived in Hoeboken NJ at the time.

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/12 at 11:11 am

It was annoying!  I know after a while she'd pick it up, like me picking up a half-assed Southern accent but it was silly. 

I'll have to get my sis to tell me when it's on.  The woman also appeared on Cake Boss twice (not ordering a cake but at two parties/cake reveals and she was on camera both times), she lived in Hoeboken NJ at the time.

wonder if she auditioned for Jersey Wives lol....

I was mostly annoyed because I felt like she was doing it on purpose..... like she was intentionally speaking that way. I know I pick up cadences from TV shows... when friends was on I spoke like them....a lot.  When 90210 was on I said "bro" about as much as they did!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/12 at 11:12 am

I keep telling Paley they need to throw a party for members and have one of those food shows cater it.... then I could be on one of those food shows I watch!! they haven't done it yet tho.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/12 at 12:31 pm

I like PRop Brothers (but I hate Jonathon with "blonde" hair) 

Oh I have watched a few of the relandscape our property shows.. I hate those because landscaping seems like SOOOOO Much work and I hate gardening so I'm amazed at the times I actually get sucked into watching those.

I watched Prop Bros last night. I do love shows like that (Hidden Potential, etc.) They find themselves a diamond in the rough. It makes me think of our little house in PR. You have seen the before & after shots. Hard to believe it is the same place and now it is very comfortable.

I don't like landscaping shows either. Big woop! They can plant a garden.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/16/12 at 6:05 pm

Cat

I watch Holmes every Sunday night.  Whenever I am doing work at my house, I am extra careful to "Make it Right" for fear that Mike Holmes will showcase my place on national TV and tell everybody how I muffed the job.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/16/12 at 9:30 pm

Sorry, I was...uh...I uh...I dunno?
:-\\

Written By: Henk on 01/17/12 at 5:49 am

Sorry, I was...uh...I uh...I dunno?
:-\\

That wouldn't hold in a court of justice - but I'll accept your apology. ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/17/12 at 6:31 am

I sometimes watch House Hoarders and I'm just surprised of how much junk piles up in one's house after being lazy and not having the motivation to clean it up.

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 6:37 am

I sometimes watch House Hoarders and I'm just surprised of how much junk piles up in one's house after being lazy and not having the motivation to clean it up.

House Hoarders?  Shows about people who hoard houses?

Written By: Henk on 01/17/12 at 6:59 am

Hey, it's a living. ;D  (Or should I say: WAS a living  :D )

Written By: Howard on 01/17/12 at 7:06 am

Well it's about people who have cluttered so much junk in their house that it becomes un-liveable to be in that inspectors have to come by and check the house for damage and repair.

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 7:13 am

Hey, it's a living. ;D  (Or should I say: WAS a living  :D )

;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 7:15 am

Well it's about people who have cluttered so much junk in their house that it becomes un-liveable to be in that inspectors have to come by and check the house for damage and repair.

that's hoarders
extreme hoarders
extreme clutter
clean sweep
how clean is your house 

or a couple of other shows I've since forgotten about

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/17/12 at 8:02 am

Most of the times it's not people being lazy, it's a mental condition for many.  They can not even think about parting with something because it means something to them, a special memory.  Sometimes, due to some sort of trama in their lifes they start keeping things.  People hoard animals because they feel like feel abandoned, etc.  Usually when we see the shows it's gotten to the point where it has just gotten out of control and beyond them.

Very sad.

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 8:11 am

Most of the times it's not people being lazy, it's a mental condition for many.  They can not even think about parting with something because it means something to them, a special memory.  Sometimes, due to some sort of trama in their lifes they start keeping things.  People hoard animals because they feel like feel abandoned, etc.  Usually when we see the shows it's gotten to the point where it has just gotten out of control and beyond them.

Very sad.

I was going to say that- then I thought about that first hoarders with that dude that just had piles of trash - he lived in a small apartment and most of it was not stuff  but plastic bottles and shyt that he should've just thrown away....

then I think about the kid who thought throwing away his dogs shedded hair would literally kill the dog or the woman who had a melt down at  the thought of throwing out expired food and that freaking fermented pumpkin and I think yeah one or two might be lazy but most are too mentally challenged to part with stuff....

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/17/12 at 8:45 am

I was going to say that- then I thought about that first hoarders with that dude that just had piles of trash - he lived in a small apartment and most of it was not stuff  but plastic bottles and shyt that he should've just thrown away....

then I think about the kid who thought throwing away his dogs shedded hair would literally kill the dog or the woman who had a melt down at  the thought of throwing out expired food and that freaking fermented pumpkin and I think yeah one or two might be lazy but most are too mentally challenged to part with stuff....

I think most of the time it's mental issues but not always...
I just watched an episode where it was a mother and 2 teenaged kids...the mother was blaming the kids for not helping clean up but meanwhile the daughter was standing on a mountain of trash to fry eggs for the mom, killing roaches the entire time, while the mother sat in her recliner.  The mother had "medical problems"

I HATE cleaning (I do it because I have to not because I want to), my mother was a compulsive cleaner (every day, the entire house) BUT at what point do you just say "F-it" and let the soda cans pile up three feet high?

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 8:50 am

I just watched an episode where it was a mother and 2 teenaged kids...the mother was blaming the kids for not helping clean up but meanwhile the daughter was standing on a mountain of trash to fry eggs for the mom, killing roaches the entire time, while the mother sat in her recliner.  The mother had "medical problems"

I HATE cleaning (I do it because I have to not because I want to), my mother was a compulsive cleaner (every day, the entire house) BUT at what point do you just say "F-it" and let the soda cans pile up three feet high?

no I totally agree...it's more the mental thing than the lazy thing. 

I am lazy...super lazy. I hate cleaning and avoid it all costs. I did minimal cleaning the last yr so when I finally got around to cleaning my apt it was still a chore but I was never at hoarder status.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/12 at 12:05 pm

Mitt Romney?

I am lazy...super lazy. I hate cleaning and avoid it all costs. I did minimal cleaning the last yr so when I finally got around to cleaning my apt it was still a chore but I was never at hoarder status.

I hear ya bout being lazy. Welcome to the club. To me, I think there is a BIG difference between messy & dirty. My house is messy-cluttered. It is NOT dirty (except for dust). There is a difference between trash (paper) and garbage (food-and other stinky stuff). I don't mind trash but garbage I can not abide and I will NOT have it piling up in my house!

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 12:17 pm

Mitt Romney?

I hear ya bout being lazy. Welcome to the club. To me, I think there is a BIG difference between messy & dirty. My house is messy-cluttered. It is NOT dirty (except for dust). There is a difference between trash (paper) and garbage (food-and other stinky stuff). I don't mind trash but garbage I can not abide and I will NOT have it piling up in my house!

Cat

I hear ya. My garbage goes out every week. My trash goes when I'm fed up w/ it. There's little room in our trash bin as I share with the landlords and they have ALOT I dump what can when I can and when I can't handle it I squash the trash/garbage as much as I can to fit my stuff.

My bathrooms kinda dirty  :-[
I really hate cleaning it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/12 at 12:27 pm

I hear ya. My garbage goes out every week. My trash goes when I'm fed up w/ it. There's little room in our trash bin as I share with the landlords and they have ALOT I dump what can when I can and when I can't handle it I squash the trash/garbage as much as I can to fit my stuff.

My bathrooms kinda dirty  :-[
I really hate cleaning it.

So do I, which is why I hire someone to do it for me.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 4:06 pm

Cat

I wish I could. I still have yet to make iT to the end of the month with a balance hired than $13 and most months I don't even have that.  :-\\

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/17/12 at 5:44 pm

Well most people don't ever say F-it.  Because you can't.  I TOTALLY agree that most hoarders have mental issues.  The shows need to get these people some counseling!  Otherwise, they're just going to fill their houses up all over again.  I feel the worst for the kids.  I cannot fathom growing up in a house like that. 

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/17/12 at 6:12 pm

My husband watches a lot of these shows, Deadliest Catch and one about guys digging for gold...probably called Gold Diggers.  ;D

I have watched Pawn Stars but I don't really like it and the one guys laugh annoys me, reminds me of Muttley from Wacky Races.  :D

I would rather watch Dirty Jobs.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/17/12 at 7:12 pm

Well most people don't ever say F-it.  Because you can't.  I TOTALLY agree that most hoarders have mental issues.  The shows need to get these people some counseling!  Otherwise, they're just going to fill their houses up all over again.  I feel the worst for the kids.  I cannot fathom growing up in a house like that. 

I know Hoarders does provide funds for aftercare, but it is usually left up to the homeowner if they use it or not.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/12 at 7:34 pm

that's hoarders
extreme hoarders
extreme clutter
clean sweep
how clean is your house 

or a couple of other shows I've since forgotten about

I love those shows it makes me realize how neat of a house we have Well, except for our basement which is somewhat cluttered, I'll admit that.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/12 at 7:35 pm

Very sad.

It makes us people realize how lucky we are to have neat houses compared to the ones we see on tv.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/12 at 7:36 pm

have you ever hired a maid?

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/17/12 at 10:00 pm

Cat

I wish I could. I still have yet to make iT to the end of the month with a balance hired than $13 and most months I don't even have that.  :-\\

No, she hasn't...she like I can not afford it.  (actually it would be ridiculous for me to be a stay-at-home mom and pay someone to clean my house...but I can dream :))

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 10:11 pm

No, she hasn't...she like I can not afford it.  (actually it would be ridiculous for me to be a stay-at-home mom and pay someone to clean my house...but I can dream :))

Why not? It worked for Carol Brady  ;D
And thanks for responding on my behalf.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 10:14 pm

Like I said in my post, & like carol pointed out, I haven't because I can't afford to

Plus I'm real picky about people touching my stuff.
My mom has one come in once a week and when I visit the room I stay in doesn't get cleaned that week because I don't my stuff disturbed. Also I get real uncomfortable sitting on the couch watching tv while she cleans around me. I either stay in my room while she's there  or leave the house.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/12 at 10:32 pm

Why not? It worked for Carol Brady  ;D
And thanks for responding on my behalf.  :)

Two bedrooms for six kids and they still shelled out for a maid.  Did they ever show Alice's apartment?
???

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/17/12 at 10:33 pm

Ridiculously AWESOME!  ;) ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/17/12 at 10:34 pm

Two bedrooms for six kids and they still shelled out for a maid.  Did they ever show Alice's apartment?
???

;D  No schitt.  Now that I think about it, that house was ridiculous.

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 10:39 pm

???

It was a 4 bedroom house. 5 if you count the attic renno

Mike & Carol had the master  the kids had the jack and jill suites across the hall & Alice had her own quarters just off the kitchen.

Alice moved out once when she quite b/c the kids thought she was too much of a busybody. I don't remember if they showed where she moved to but I remember the kids all showed up to her waitress job and begged her to come home.  You know the only problem with the Brady house was 6 kids sharing one bathroom, no toilet.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/17/12 at 11:06 pm

I'm just crazy enough to clean BEFORE the cleaning lady comes, cause I wouldn't want her to think we're slobs.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 11:11 pm

I'm just crazy enough to clean BEFORE the cleaning lady comes, cause I wouldn't want her to think we're slobs.  ;D

yeah I'd have to do something like that too... if I ever got a "real" house I probably would get over it and have someone do the big stuff like dusting, vacuuming & mopping but I'd do my dishes and my own laundry.....TOTALLY getting a gardener!!!! TOTALLY

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/18/12 at 4:39 am

I like to watch cop shows like The Police Women of...(whichever county) and Animal Cops.

I like (hate to admit this) Billy the Exterminator, who appeared on Dirty Jobs before he got his own show.  Also there was a show on Animal Planet called Rat Busters.

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/12 at 4:43 am

I like to watch cop shows like The Police Women of...(whichever county) and Animal Cops.

I like (hate to admit this) Billy the Exterminator, who appeared on Dirty Jobs before he got his own show.  Also there was a show on Animal Planet called Rat Busters.

I would watch the police women of Santa barbara county because I would know them or the area.
I don't watch the others because sometimes I find myself in work mode critiquing tge dispatchers heard in the background lol

Written By: Howard on 01/18/12 at 6:39 am

the maid my Mother hired she comes by every few weeks cleans the bathroom, my bedroom, upstairs and downstairs and she gets paid $40 for her work.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/12 at 6:41 am

I clean a few days after the maid is gone, it gets pretty dusty.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/12 at 12:16 pm

yeah I'd have to do something like that too... if I ever got a "real" house I probably would get over it and have someone do the big stuff like dusting, vacuuming & mopping but I'd do my dishes and my own laundry.....TOTALLY getting a gardener!!!! TOTALLY

That's what mine does. In the kitchen: cleans the stove, the floor, and does a little on the counters. Bathroom: bathtub, toilet, sink, floor. Dinning room/living room: dust, vaccum, mop. She comes in every 2 weeks for about 2 hours and I pay her $40 (which is less expensive than the woman who WAS coming in doing just about the same amount of work.)

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/12 at 1:03 pm

That's what mine does. In the kitchen: cleans the stove, the floor, and does a little on the counters. Bathroom: bathtub, toilet, sink, floor. Dinning room/living room: dust, vaccum, mop. She comes in every 2 weeks for about 2 hours and I pay her $40 (which is less expensive than the woman who WAS coming in doing just about the same amount of work.)

Cat

Yeah it just doesn't make sense for me my apt is tiny 400sqft I'm just lazy/unmotivated  or work too much/too much time playing in LA  but when I move into adult housing  ;D I'll probably do it. Still don't like sitting around watching someone clean after me tho.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/18/12 at 3:56 pm

I would watch the police women of Santa barbara county because I would know them or the area.
I don't watch the others because sometimes I find myself in work mode critiquing tge dispatchers heard in the background lol

That's why I don't like shows like American Restoration or American Chopper. They make it seem like they are the
only people on the planet that can do that type of work. On one episode of American Chopper Paul Sr. made a
comment about a gas tank that Rick had made, saying no one can do it like Rick can. Well, Sr. hasn't seen any of the
gas tanks I made. I would put any of my tanks up against anything they make, and yes, I nit pick about everything
they do.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/12 at 7:13 pm

Yeah it just doesn't make sense for me my apt is tiny 400sqft I'm just lazy/unmotivated  or work too much/too much time playing in LA  but when I move into adult housing  ;D I'll probably do it. Still don't like sitting around watching someone clean after me tho.

Are there any maid services in LA? ???

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/12 at 7:21 pm

Are there any maid services in LA? ???

Tons. But that doesn't do me any good.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/12 at 7:37 pm

Tons. But that doesn't do me any good.

You can always buy a Roomba, those little computer robots can clean the floor.

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/12 at 7:39 pm

You can always buy a Roomba, those little computer robots can clean the floor.

I have too much stuff in my room. Plus the dog would go nuts.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/12 at 6:52 am

I have too much stuff in my room. Plus the dog would go nuts.

Ok So I guess it wouldn't be a good idea.

Written By: snozberries on 01/19/12 at 11:33 am

Ok So I guess it wouldn't be a good idea.

Not for me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/19/12 at 6:03 pm

the maid my Mother hired she comes by every few weeks cleans the bathroom, my bedroom, upstairs and downstairs and she gets paid $40 for her work.

Does she wear one of those little French Maid oufits? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/12 at 9:42 pm

Not for forty bucks!
8)

Written By: Howard on 01/20/12 at 6:46 am

No she's hispanic speaks English ok at best and she does a decent job.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/12 at 6:47 am

Not for forty bucks!
8)

a french maid would need more money than that.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/20/12 at 12:30 pm

a french maid would need more money than that.

More money and less cleaning!

Written By: Howard on 01/20/12 at 7:23 pm

More money and less cleaning!

The French Maid would be for me. ;)

Written By: snozberries on 02/22/12 at 1:01 am

Hey carol-

Remember on page two when we were talking about that southern chuck on house hunters int'l who affected a British accent? I've since seen one with a Dutch guy who moves to Australia and he gets an Aussie accent.

My favorite tho is the Aussie woman who moves to Mumbai and starts speaking with a heavy Indian pronunciation and cadence  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/22/12 at 11:24 am

Hey carol-

Remember on page two when we were talking about that southern chuck on house hunters int'l who affected a British accent? I've since seen one with a Dutch guy who moves to Australia and he gets an Aussie accent.

My favorite tho is the Aussie woman who moves to Mumbai and starts speaking with a heavy Indian pronunciation and cadence  ;D

Ha ha!!  I haven't seen either of them.  I'll have to look for them when they come on again

Written By: snozberries on 02/22/12 at 1:15 pm

Ha ha!!  I haven't seen either of them.  I'll have to look for them when they come on again

The Aussie/India one is a pretty big pay off.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...