inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will rap finally die out?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/26/12 at 2:59 am

So far it seems like 2012 is just a rehash of the autotuned 07/08 rap 8-P

Subject: Re: When will rap finally die out?

Written By: Shiv on 01/26/12 at 7:34 am

It'll never totally die out, it has too much of a following, but I think it'll become no longer mainstream somewhere between the late 10s and mid 20s. It'll be "parents' music" by then ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/26/12 at 8:31 am

I think what you mean is fade away enough so that it's rarely seen in the mainstream.

I think by 2030 it'll be considered 'worn out' and 'old'.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/26/12 at 10:24 am

It's January.    :-\\ :-X

Written By: Howard on 01/26/12 at 1:52 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiL9bqvalo

This was when rap was fun (1979)

Written By: Howard on 01/26/12 at 1:53 pm

I think what you mean is fade away enough so that it's rarely seen in the mainstream.

I think by 2030 it'll be considered 'worn out' and 'old'.

rap will never get worn out and old, It'll just evolve.

Written By: gibbo on 01/26/12 at 4:31 pm

rap will never get worn out and old, It'll just evolve.

I hope it evolves into music!  :-X  Okay Q ... I take that back!

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/26/12 at 5:39 pm

Rap lives.  Listen to some of the new stuff from Whiz Kalifa or Mac Miller.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/12 at 6:26 pm

Rap won't die out so much as it will continue to transform into other styles.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/12 at 6:45 am

Rap won't die out so much as it will continue to transform into other styles.

We had fun and funky back then to cursing and talking about women's privates. That's how rap changed over the past 30 years.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/27/12 at 9:20 pm

I don't think rap will ever die out, well not in the immediate future. I like rap to an extent, but sometimes it does feel like it's too dominant in this country.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/12 at 6:33 am

rap is a music genre that just about every person likes, It has evolved over the past 30 years so it won't die out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/12 at 6:40 am

Today?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/28/12 at 8:55 am

I'd like to hear some new rap that's in the style of Snoop's "Gin and Juice" or "Nothin but a G-Thang"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhVulevdC5E

Written By: bchris02 on 01/28/12 at 6:54 pm

It seems to be having a little bit of a comeback.  2010 was a horrible year for rap, but it started to get better in the second half of 2011.  Its not what it was, but I thought in 2010 rap was on its way out.  Ironically, electropop is dying out.  You hardly hear Lady Gaga and Ke$ha on the radio like you did a couple years ago.  Even Justin Bieber has faded from mainstream radio.  It seems like today its Katy Perry, Katy Perry, and Katy Perry, with hip-hop as an afterthought.

Speaking of Katy Perry, I consider her teen pop, not electropop. 

Written By: Howard on 01/28/12 at 7:28 pm

I'd like to hear some new rap that's in the style of Snoop's "Gin and Juice" or "Nothin but a G-Thang"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhVulevdC5E

I like Snoop Dogg's rap.

Written By: Shiv on 01/29/12 at 9:53 am

It seems to be having a little bit of a comeback.  2010 was a horrible year for rap, but it started to get better in the second half of 2011.  Its not what it was, but I thought in 2010 rap was on its way out.  Ironically, electropop is dying out.  You hardly hear Lady Gaga and Ke$ha on the radio like you did a couple years ago.  Even Justin Bieber has faded from mainstream radio.  It seems like today its Katy Perry, Katy Perry, and Katy Perry, with hip-hop as an afterthought.

Speaking of Katy Perry, I consider her teen pop, not electropop.

I thought 2011 was a worse year for rap than 2010. Other than Lil Wayne, Whiz Khalifa, and Nikki Minaj I can't think of any other rappers who had big top 40 hits (and even many of those featured more singing than rapping).

Written By: RajMahalSoN! on 01/29/12 at 7:53 pm

It will never die, as no music form never dies.
Jazz, and Blues were once young hip music genres. Remember(well most of you probably don't remember, as I don't either. But by reading, and talking to elders , you will learn this)

Hip-Hop will eventually be out-cooled by something else, as rock was by hip-hop.
Who knows when. Hip-Hop is still a pretty young genre of music, almost always pinned as being born in 1979 or 1980(that's not be, but what I hear from a lot of historians). It's only a 30something year old genre of music. Hardly new, but not relatively old.

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/12 at 9:30 pm

Rap sounds good in techno/dance music, but on it's own, there's little to desire

A prime example of when it worked really well was this fantastic song of 2011 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_azpJy1NFI

Written By: RajMahalSoN! on 01/30/12 at 12:03 am

Rap sounds good in techno/dance music, but on it's own, there's little to desire

A prime example of when it worked really well was this fantastic song of 2011 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_azpJy1NFI

Please find better rap. There's this invention that came along a while ago, called the internet. You're not confined to MTV and the radio anymore.
Don't judge all rap on it.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/12 at 6:26 am

It will never die, as no music form never dies.
Jazz, and Blues were once young hip music genres. Remember(well most of you probably don't remember, as I don't either. But by reading, and talking to elders , you will learn this)

Hip-Hop will eventually be out-cooled by something else, as rock was by hip-hop.
Who knows when. Hip-Hop is still a pretty young genre of music, almost always pinned as being born in 1979 or 1980(that's not be, but what I hear from a lot of historians). It's only a 30something year old genre of music. Hardly new, but not relatively old.

I agree, rap will never die out, It'll just evolve into something better.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/30/12 at 6:24 pm

I liked rap songs like this in the '00s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntf3d4CORi4

And hated rap like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjZM-d_ShI

Written By: Howard on 01/31/12 at 6:41 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFCwh17lDvo

This was my era for hip hop^

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 02/03/12 at 11:44 pm

Rap/hip-hop, R&B, Rock/pop, and Contry are the most popluar genre's of music. To ask when it'll die out; rappers stop rapping, sheesh stops selling is like asking when is rock gonna go away, when is playing a guitar going to get old? When are popstars going to hang up their headset mic? The only problem is when everything has been done, and then something new comes along(autotune for example) and everybody overuses it as quickly as they can. Instead of letting that new thing slowly fade, they just over use it in two months. Right now, there's nothing innovative, happens in everything where creativity rules.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/12 at 6:37 am

Rap/hip-hop, R&B, Rock/pop, and Contry are the most popluar genre's of music. To ask when it'll die out; rappers stop rapping, sheesh stops selling is like asking when is rock gonna go away, when is playing a guitar going to get old? When are popstars going to hang up their headset mic? The only problem is when everything has been done, and then something new comes along(autotune for example) and everybody overuses it as quickly as they can. Instead of letting that new thing slowly fade, they just over use it in two months. Right now, there's nothing innovative, happens in everything where creativity rules.

I agree rap will never die out, music is a part of our lives and the most most popular genres today are rap and pop and they sell.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/10/12 at 2:43 pm

For better or for worse, rap/hip-hop probably won't die out anytime in the near future. It's established itself in the mainstream and even into other genres of music.

Check for new replies or respond here...