inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Electro dance pop has got to go!

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/26/12 at 7:04 pm

Today, while I was helping to paint a set for my Theatre Practicum class, there was nothing but contemporary electrodance music blaring out on the radio. By God, that crap was annoying! I never realized I could get so irritated by that music, but I did! And I'm also sick of autotune. This genre needs to hurry up and "exit stage left" (theatre lingo, since I was working with the theatre today).

Subject: Re: Electro dance pop has got to go!

Written By: whistledog on 01/26/12 at 8:39 pm

Today, while I was helping to paint a set for my Theatre Practicum class, there was nothing but contemporary electrodance music blaring out on the radio. By God, that crap was annoying! I never realized I could get so irritated by that music, but I did! And I'm also sick of autotune. This genre needs to hurry up and "exit stage left" (theatre lingo, since I was working with the theatre today).

There is one solution ...

... Don't listen to the radio ::)

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/26/12 at 9:11 pm

There is one solution ...

... Don't listen to the radio ::)

I couldn't help it! I asked if the radio could be turned off, but I suppose the people just have to have some music on to accompany their work. I personally prefer for my work space to be quiet.

Written By: Emman on 01/26/12 at 9:49 pm

It is becoming tired out isn't it, usually music fads last about 4 or 5 years and the autotune techno-pop thing has been going on for about three and a half years already. I think it will start fading out towards the end of 2012 or in 2013. But dubstep(or brostep) might pick up more steam in 2012 and take it's place :D.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/12 at 6:42 am

We just need a new genre for the next few years, How about electro-jazz or maybe electro-funk, back in the 70's we had "dazz" which was disco-jazz and that genre faded out so let's see what the next few years brings us.

Written By: Creeder on 01/27/12 at 5:05 pm

Electro-rock must replace electro-pop.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/27/12 at 9:01 pm

Idk I'm kinda worried about it dying out tbh, because personally I think it's just gonna end up being all gimmick rap again after that and my interest in music will probably be over. Though at heart I'm a pop rock/ r&b guy and I miss the late '90s-2005.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/27/12 at 11:45 pm

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_g7TE13CWARc/R6-s48WGMPI/AAAAAAAAAuE/i8e-rPBTf0o/s400/07-DrToon_Snagglepuss.jpg

Heavens to Murgatroyd!

I do more than my share of the electro/dance stuff (for FSM's sake, I'm in the dubstep thread here), but I'll gladly join you on the front lines in the battle to take back our eardrums from autotune.

Written By: tnf on 01/28/12 at 1:51 am

Here in The Netherlands, we've got the same problem at our biggest CHR station (Radio 538).  :-\\

And if you have to work with others, and the others want to hear that crap (big chance...), you don't have a choice...

But what will replace it? I need some more organic music at mainstream radio, but I've got the feeling many people aren't ready for that. Just something in the air. Those sterile, robotesque music simply fits the current cold atmosphere in the world.

At home, you can listen to internetradio, but you aren't always at home.  :P

Written By: bchris02 on 01/28/12 at 6:57 pm

It is on its way out.

I don't consider Katy Perry electropop.  She is more teen pop.  Electropop 2009 style (Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, etc) are losing steam fast.

Written By: RajMahalSoN! on 01/29/12 at 7:48 pm

Why hate electropop or dance based on mainstream music inspired by either one? The stuff you hear on the radio, the stuff using the slightly changed beats, with someone rapping, or singing over them, isn't even a fraction of what EDM is about.
But I don't listen to the radio often, so I don't care where popular music goes.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/29/12 at 7:50 pm

It is on its way out.

I don't consider Katy Perry electropop.  She is more teen pop.  Electropop 2009 style (Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, etc) are losing steam fast.

Katy definitely has some electropop songs (Hot N Cold, California Gurls, E.T.)...but she's not as electropop as the others. Though I'd say GaGa mostly dropped electropop on her last album except for "Judas".

Written By: bchris02 on 02/04/12 at 1:36 pm

Katy definitely has some electropop songs (Hot N Cold, California Gurls, E.T.)...but she's not as electropop as the others. Though I'd say GaGa mostly dropped electropop on her last album except for "Judas".

Katy Perry's old stuff was electropop and thats when I actually liked her music.  Now, it seems like she is ripping off Rebecca Black.

Gaga's latest album was quite a bit more artsy fartsy than her previous two, which was simply just good dance music. 

Written By: Brian06 on 02/04/12 at 2:06 pm

Katy Perry's old stuff was electropop and thats when I actually liked her music.  Now, it seems like she is ripping off Rebecca Black.

Gaga's latest album was quite a bit more artsy fartsy than her previous two, which was simply just good dance music.

Yeah I have to agree. I'm sick of tired of both at this point really LOL.

Written By: Emman on 02/04/12 at 10:39 pm

Does anybody have any idea what will replace electropop/autotune as the dominant music style for the next few years, someone mentioned it could revert back to the gimmick rap of the late '00s(man would that be horrible 8-P). Even by late 2001 teen-pop(a big late '90s/early '00s fad) was fading fast/or being assimilated into R&B, could the new trend be indie rock like Foster The People/Vampire Weekend, a new style of rap, dubstep, some new form of electronica/dance music, or something else entirely?

Written By: Brian06 on 02/04/12 at 11:03 pm

Does anybody have any idea what will replace electropop/autotune as the dominant music style for the next few years, someone mentioned it could revert back to the gimmick rap of the late '00s(man would that be horrible 8-P). Even by late 2001 teen-pop(a big late '90s/early '00s fad) was fading fast/or being assimilated into R&B, could the new trend be indie rock like Foster The People/Vampire Weekend, a new style of rap, dubstep, some new form of electronica/dance music, or something else entirely?

Personally I think today is still mostly exactly like 2009, and I notice changes very well. Unfortunately my guess it will probably revert more to hip-hop dominance in the mid '10s, though I don't think it will be as bad as late '00s. None of the rap now really is nearly as bad as late '00s (except a few things like that Rack City crap). Wiz Khalifa, J. Cole, Nicki Minaj, Drake imo are definitely better than the Soulja, Mims, Joc, Plies, Unk crew though still nothing amazing. Hip-hop in the 2010s is generally kinda monotone and less party oriented than '00s rap, it kinda has a stoner vibe lol. '10s rap seems seems to be kinda boring more than anything. As electro pop fades this might be what you see and more pop artists like Adele maybe. Rock will probably return more as well with more indieish bands like Foster the People.

Written By: Emman on 02/05/12 at 2:43 am

Personally I think today is still mostly exactly like 2009, and I notice changes very well. Unfortunately my guess it will probably revert more to hip-hop dominance in the mid '10s, though I don't think it will be as bad as late '00s. None of the rap now really is nearly as bad as late '00s (except a few things like that Rack City crap). Wiz Khalifa, J. Cole, Nicki Minaj, Drake imo are definitely better than the Soulja, Mims, Joc, Plies, Unk crew though still nothing amazing. Hip-hop in the 2010s is generally kinda monotone and less party oriented than '00s rap, it kinda has a stoner vibe lol. '10s rap seems seems to be kinda boring more than anything. As electro pop fades this might be what you see and more pop artists like Adele maybe. Rock will probably return more as well with more indieish bands like Foster the People.

So basically 2010s music might be even more bland than the '00s music was, even alot of rap in the '00s was distinctive(even if it did lack in quality).
I was hoping some totally new, unheard of style of music would emerge that would define the 2010s, now that even alot of hip-hop is stagnant.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/05/12 at 3:51 am

So basically 2010s music might be even more bland than the '00s music was, even alot of rap in the '00s was distinctive(even if it did lack in quality).
I was hoping some totally new, unheard of style of music would emerge that would define the 2010s, now that even alot of hip-hop is stagnant.

Well I hope it's better but I don't feel very good about it right now. But hopefully something better pops up.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/12 at 6:44 am

I don't know, music styles and genres change every year.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/05/12 at 5:05 pm

Nothing is as bad as late 00s music circa 2007 to 2009, I mean NOTHING!! LOL. Even a monkey banging cymbals together is better than late 00s music! I think 'bad music' has reached a peak and thank god it has!

Written By: Howard on 02/06/12 at 6:57 am

Nothing is as bad as late 00s music circa 2007 to 2009, I mean NOTHING!! LOL. Even a monkey banging cymbals together is better than late 00s music! I think 'bad music' has reached a peak and thank god it has!

and there was a time when music was really good and that was the 80's.

Written By: Emman on 02/06/12 at 7:55 am

Well I hope it's better but I don't feel very good about it right now. But hopefully something better pops up.

Dubstep(or brostep) is probably the newest, most innovative music style in the mainstream right now, I am even starting to hear quite a few commericals use dubstep music, even Justin Bieber is releasing a dubstep album later this year. If 2010s music does transition to dubstep/or dubstep influenced "something else" then the autotuned electropop of the '09-'12 period would be a perfect bridge between the '00s and '10s(being that both are electronic oriented dance music).

I could see there being more Skrillex style productions in the near future.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/06/12 at 11:59 am

and there was a time when music was really good and that was the 80's.

I love 80s music!  8)

Written By: Howard on 02/06/12 at 12:29 pm

I love 80s music!  8)

and so do I and that was at a time when real instruments were used, not like today's music.

Written By: Slim on 02/06/12 at 7:55 pm

I honestly think music will continue to go down the tubes and get worse. Just don't listen to the radio, that's what i do. I love 80s, 90s, and early 2000s music!

:D

Written By: Shiv on 02/07/12 at 12:14 am

I sure hope not, I really don't want the 10s to be a copy of the 00s, the mid 00s was probably the worst period in mainstream music history. 50 Cent was more popular for his bullet wounds than his music, what was that sheesh all about?

Written By: Brian06 on 02/07/12 at 1:00 am

I sure hope not, I really don't want the 10s to be a copy of the 00s, the mid 00s was probably the worst period in mainstream music history. 50 Cent was more popular for his bullet wounds than his music, what was that sheesh all about?

See for the mid '00s (well pre 2006) I liked the good stuff like Alicia Keys, Beyonce, The Killers, Maroon 5, Hoobastank, The Bravery, Green Day, Disturbed, Interpol, Mariah Carey, Franz Ferdinand, Gorillaz, Gwen Stefani, Kelly Clarkson, JoJo (way better than 13/14 year olds today like Rebecca Black), good rap like Outkast, early Kanye I loved, Linkin Park's "Numb", Dido (White Flag). That's the 2004-5 I miss and loved in high school. Pop radio had so much more variety then you heard lots of rock r&b pop not all crunk. Yeah I agree on 50 and crunk but I look at all the stuff I liked and I like 2004 way better today. Of course a lot of people maybe not like those but this is just IMO of course.

After late 2005 everything took a huge nosedive right down the toilet there was still some good but so much less. 2004 and 2006 were world's apart. 2006-2008 SUCKED for music in the US, that is the worst period to me. The last few years are not as bad but pop is even more one sided hardly any rock or r&b anymore just a bunch of flo rida, lmfao, pitbull clones and some random pop rap hits. Those aren't as bad as ringtone rap but WAY inferior to the best of 2004. At least there's Adele and Foster The People though but it's not enough. But I was 17 in 2004 and almost 25 today, modern pop just doesn't excite me quite as much now though I still like some but bring back pop rock, alternative, r&b. I like my variety.  :-\\

Written By: Creeder on 02/07/12 at 7:02 am

Really? Mid-00s rock and pop rock was really good for the most part.
I agree that most rap was garbage, though.

Written By: Emman on 02/07/12 at 8:19 am

We're still in the formative period of the decade where it's still forging it's identity, similar to 1982 for example. Alot of fashion and music in 1982 seems still stuck in the '70s even at the time MTV was on air, people were still wearing afros and listening to '70s style soft-rock, it also seems like the direction of alot of music at that time was still uncertain, whether it would be neo '50s style(I think some people were predicting this?), new wave, hard rock, ect, that's the period where 1978-1983 blends in together quite well. At the same time alot of things from 1982 literally SCREAM '80s, things like Tron, A Flock Of Seagulls, Bladerunner, Thriller album, Prince's 1999, ect, the same thing(IMO) in 2002 with the '00s, things like Nelly's Hot In Here, Eminem, early iPods, low rise jeans, velor tracksuits, Avril Lavigne, ect . It seems it wasn't until 1984/85 that the '80s fully divorced itself from the late '70s, most of the '00s didn't divorced itself from the '90s until around 2006/07.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/07/12 at 1:53 pm

The '2' year has always been weird to me in most decades. The '0' and '1' years are pretty much very similiar to the previous decades. Kinda like how 1990 and 1991 can seem so darn 80s at times.
The '3' year is when the decade culturally starts for most decades, but the '2' year is like a mix of the previous decade and the current one. Kinda like how 1992 was 60% 90s and 40% 80s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/07/12 at 6:29 pm

Is it just me or did early Avril seem like a throwback to 1997 pop like Meredith Brooks and Natalie Imbruglia (who also came back in the early 00s)?

Written By: Brian06 on 02/07/12 at 6:32 pm

Is it just me or did Avril seem like a throwback to 1997 pop like Meredith Brooks and Natalie Imbruglia (who also came back in the early 00s)?

Yeah she did, you could say Michelle Branch was too, that kinda pop is great.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/07/12 at 6:37 pm

Yeah she did, you could say Michelle Branch was too, that kinda pop is great.

I love that kind of pop. I also liked the return of Alanis in 02. I was also glad Natalie Imbruglia came back. In some ways 02 and early 03 had the same vibe as 97/98.

Written By: nally on 02/07/12 at 6:49 pm

I love that kind of pop. I also liked the return of Alanis in 02. I was also glad Natalie Imbruglia came back. In some ways 02 and early 03 had the same vibe as 97/98.

Oh yes, I loved that song "Wrong Impression" that she had in 2002.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/11/12 at 3:27 pm

We're still in the formative period of the decade where it's still forging it's identity, similar to 1982 for example. Alot of fashion and music in 1982 seems still stuck in the '70s even at the time MTV was on air, people were still wearing afros and listening to '70s style soft-rock, it also seems like the direction of alot of music at that time was still uncertain, whether it would be neo '50s style(I think some people were predicting this?), new wave, hard rock, ect, that's the period where 1978-1983 blends in together quite well. At the same time alot of things from 1982 literally SCREAM '80s, things like Tron, A Flock Of Seagulls, Bladerunner, Thriller album, Prince's 1999, ect, the same thing(IMO) in 2002 with the '00s, things like Nelly's Hot In Here, Eminem, early iPods, low rise jeans, velor tracksuits, Avril Lavigne, ect . It seems it wasn't until 1984/85 that the '80s fully divorced itself from the late '70s, most of the '00s didn't divorced itself from the '90s until around 2006/07.

Right now is a very stale time for music.  Electro-pop is getting tired but nothing has really come along to replace it.  Top 40 is trying to shy away from rap more and more.  It seems like female-oriented pop is the thing right now.  There isn't much on the radio that isn't extremely feminine.  I hope that changes soon.

Written By: Creeder on 02/11/12 at 4:30 pm

It seems like female-oriented pop is the thing right now.  There isn't much on the radio that isn't extremely feminine.  I hope that changes soon.

I hope too. I prefer male voices and more manly or genderless songs.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 02/27/12 at 6:36 pm

I agree. I hate electropop too. i really miss pop music from the 2000s. It had so much vareity like teen pop, rap, urban, R&B, Pop/Rock, Punk, etc. It really had something for everyone but now it's just electropop all the time and all the songs sound the same. Overall pop music sounded way better from the 2000s. I would be happy if some rap came back from the 2000s or something like that especially pre-2005. I don't think the style will change just yet but if it does (which I hope) it will be very gradual up until the mid 10s or something like that. But who knows.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/13/12 at 5:04 pm

Its on it last year dont worry

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/13/12 at 11:47 pm

I hope you're right! What do you think is next?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/16/12 at 1:27 pm

I hope you're right! What do you think is next?

Spiritual indie rock music  also pop music  getting 90s elements
an dropping the dance sound  but keeping the tempo up

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/16/12 at 11:14 pm

Spiritual indie rock music  also pop music  getting 90s elements
an dropping the dance sound  but keeping the tempo up

Yeah I think so too. At least through the mid 10s. I think Indie/Alternative will take over the airwaves with a mixture of some teen pop and "Call Me Maybe" type pop music.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 1:38 pm

Is it just me or did early Avril seem like a throwback to 1997 pop like Meredith Brooks and Natalie Imbruglia (who also came back in the early 00s)?

2002 was suppose to be a rock type  era  but was killed pre maturely by  Rap

Written By: singer on 07/18/12 at 5:13 pm

Here's a song, written in 2007 (!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_h92y0lOOE
I find it shocking that this song was written exclusively for a TV show. It's got a real soulful 50's quality to it. If people can write this kind of music in today's world, why don't we hear it more often? We need some slow, soulful songs like these after decades of fast, sometimes too fast-paced music. Anyone agree?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/20/12 at 10:02 pm

Here's a song, written in 2007 (!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_h92y0lOOE
I find it shocking that this song was written exclusively for a TV show. It's got a real soulful 50's quality to it. If people can write this kind of music in today's world, why don't we hear it more often? We need some slow, soulful songs like these after decades of fast, sometimes too fast-paced music. Anyone agree?

This song is very beautiful. It's like we are being force fed just what the executives want us to hear and we have no say in it. They just play whatever crap they can because they can get away with it. It doesn't matter if we like it or not.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/20/12 at 10:03 pm

Thankfully. You think it will end in early or mid 2013?

Written By: Shiv on 07/21/12 at 11:23 am

This song is very beautiful. It's like we are being force fed just what the executives want us to hear and we have no say in it. They just play whatever crap they can because they can get away with it. It doesn't matter if we like it or not.

We do have a say in it. The British Invasion and grunge movements?

People today are just too passive.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/21/12 at 11:29 pm

Thankfully. You think it will end in early or mid 2013?

Electronica will still be around because it's a nice fresh sound that has a long future to stay (Like Hip Hop previously to this decade) However, mainstream "Electro-Pop" will be dead and totally unheard of by mid 2013 in my opinion.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/22/12 at 11:09 am

Electronica will still be around because it's a nice fresh sound that has a long future to stay (Like Hip Hop previously to this decade) However, mainstream "Electro-Pop" will be dead and totally unheard of by mid 2013 in my opinion.

thats impossible because there are albums being made right now  that are going to be released in 2013

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/22/12 at 8:32 pm

thats impossible because there are albums being made right now  that are going to be released in 2013

But how do you know it will have an electro pop sound?  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...