inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lack of diversity and good quality in modern tv series and cable?

Written By: chunkofgreen1 on 02/07/12 at 5:02 pm

Subject: Re: Lack of diversity and good quality in modern tv series and cable?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/07/12 at 5:11 pm

Modern Family - soooo fun and funny.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/07/12 at 5:44 pm

Justified on F/X is the best show I've seen in a long, long time.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/07/12 at 6:03 pm

TV needs more nudity.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/12 at 7:09 pm

What I want are more family sitcoms like Cosby Show, One Day At A Time, Silver Spoons and Family Ties.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/12 at 7:10 pm

TV needs more nudity.

I think you're right.  ;)

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/07/12 at 7:22 pm

I think what has happened is that a lot of families watch separate TVs.  Kids and Tweens watch Disney XD, Nick or the Disney Channel.  The time slots on network that used to filled with family programming is now filled with reality programs.

There really aren't any good family type shows, like the Cosby Show or Home Improvement.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/12 at 7:43 pm

I think what has happened is that a lot of families watch separate TVs.  Kids and Tweens watch Disney XD, Nick or the Disney Channel.  The time slots on network that used to filled with family programming is now filled with reality programs.

There really aren't any good family type shows, like the Cosby Show or Home Improvement.

Carol,I remember the time between 1982-1987 when we watched good family sitcoms like The Cosby Show, ALF, 227, Silver Spoons and Family Ties those were good old days when guys like us use to sit by the TV and waited till our shows came on at 8pm.

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/12 at 9:02 pm

Justified, White Collar, Covert Affairs and Body of Proof, among the four newer dramas that one should not miss.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/12 at 9:08 pm

TV needs more nudity.

IT'S NOT THE POLITICS...
http://www.ihatethemedia.com/wp-content/uploads/e-d-hill.jpg
http://www.ihatethemedia.com/wp-content/uploads/page-hopkins.jpg
http://www.ihatethemedia.com/wp-content/uploads/kiran-chetry.jpg
http://www.ihatethemedia.com/wp-content/uploads/laurie-dhue.jpg
...IT'S THE LEGS!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/07/12 at 9:49 pm

TV needs more nudity.

And less birth control! 

Written By: RG1995 on 02/07/12 at 10:15 pm

Louie on FX is good. Always enjoy Seinfeld reruns too.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/07/12 at 11:28 pm

I think you've got it - multiple sets per household, combined with narrowcasting.  (If you read only one link in this post, that's the one to go for.)

Springsteen's prophetic "57 channels and nothin' on" was a misnomer - it's more like 56 channels of nothin' on.  But as long as one viewer is watching one channel, it doesn't matter that there's "nothin' on" for anybody else in the room.  Back when "57 channels" was a lot of channels, we hoped that having 57 channels didn't just mean there'd be something on, we hoped it meant there'd be something good on. 

But it turned out that if you wanted the kind of quality you got from ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS/FOX, you had to actually invest in programming.  When there were 5-7 channels owned by four or five networks, they all had to compete with each other when it came to producing attention-grabbing broadcast content that would appeal to a wide demographic.

When we went to 57 channels, we were dealing with the same number of companies - but their content budgets had to be spread out by a factor of ten.  Disney now has to fill up ABC, the Disney Channel and ESPN, and that's just for starters. 

The 90s brought us the promise of the 500-channel universe, but it didn't bring us 500 more content providers.  It was the same 5-7 channels (and a couple of foreign-language channels, and a few religious channels, and a bunch of infomercial channels, and eventually most of those got bought up by the same media conglomerates that were already having trouble filling up 57 channels with content.)  Now these companies had 50-100 channels apiece, with thousands of hours a day of air time to fill.  And fill them they did, with whatever they could afford to produce on a shoestring budget -- and even them, many of them re-aired the same shows every 6-12 hours.

It's why mysticism and pseudoscience instead of science.  It's also why The History Channel is chock-full of mouthbreathers hunting aliens.

The vision originally promised to us was eventually realized by the likes of YouTube - on-demand access to unlimited content, relatively unrestricted by licensing deals.  99% of what's on YouTube is also crap, but because you're not subject to what a program director thinks your demographic should be watching, the odds are much greater that you'll find the 1% that's you, personally, see as being worth watching. 

I think we've actually turned the corner on that.  Narrowcasting wasn't a broken model, it was a poorly-scaled model.  57 channels out of a 500-channel universe wasn't nearly big enough; it took video-on-demand across 57 million channels to make it work.  Epic Meal Time airs "weeklyish, usually on Monday or Tuesday".  I'll probably never see all 300 episodes of Is It A Good Idea To Microwave This? (2007-2011), but they're still up there for my perusal.

But on this I must take issue :)

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6235/sjgr.jpg

TV needs more nudity.

bsW_7409RPk

Umm, beg pardon, LyricBoy, but they don't normally wear clothes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/12 at 12:40 am

I thought The History Channel would be a wonderful oasis of scholarly insights revealing how mankind came to be how he is...but now what is it?  Two hillbillies staring at an old washing machine?  Und zey call zat chistory?
::)

Written By: Henk on 02/08/12 at 5:34 am

Totally agree with you, Foo Bar. And things really aren't much better on this side of the pond!

It's why mysticism and pseudoscience instead of science.  It's also why The History Channel is chock-full of mouthbreathers hunting aliens.

The first link doesn't work.  :-\\ But FTR: I found the article and agree to some extent. At least they still have MythBusters...Sadly shows like Junkyard Wars/Scrapheap Challenge and Time Team are no longer aired over here. I really miss those.
Personally, I've had more than enough of the chopper shows. So typically American...why air it in Europe? :-\\ I'm also getting sick and tired of seeing reruns of shows I've already seen like a gazillion times.(Air Crash Investigation..? NOT AGAIN!) Too much of that going on everywhere, for that matter.

As for the History Channel...well, let's just say I'm glad I'm not a subscriber. ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/08/12 at 6:20 am

And less birth control!

and less cursing.

Written By: Howard on 02/08/12 at 6:20 am

Louie on FX is good. Always enjoy Seinfeld reruns too.

I watch Seinfeld reruns that come on at 11pm.

Written By: snozberries on 02/10/12 at 2:38 pm

Its weird because most north american television from approx. 1991-1997 or even till 2002 was like intoxicating to watch. You find something for everyone and everything was always at its best. Just a few names. madtv, my so called life, the tick, are you afraid of the dark, spiderman, x-men, friends, in living color, the simpsons, beavis and butthead are just on the surface.

As soon as 2003-2005 everything seemed to be of lesser quality and the standard went down.

the standards didn't really go down....increased DVR usage killed the good shows like Pushing Daisies....problem is people want to record high brow stuff to watch at their leisure and let the tvs run during the low brow stuff so the low brow stuff appeared to be more popular.

If the ratings people would count DVR'd programming we'd have much better stuff on the air but, alas, they don't care about what you watch they only care about commercials you can't fast forward thru so the only numbers that count are the ones that happen when stuff is actually being watched when it's broadcast.

what should you be watching?

Walking Dead
Chuck (although it just ended it's run it was a great show)
Once Upon a Time
Southland
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Glee (yeah I said it -  it's socially relevant on many levels!)
Franklin and Bash
Psych
Community
Modern Family
Cougar Town
Dexter
Nurse Jackie
United States of Tara

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/10/12 at 2:41 pm

There's only a few new shows that I watch anymore.

ThunderCats (2011 reboot)
Regular Show
Super Sentai/Kamen Rider series
The Big Bang Theory

And I'm sure there's a few others but I can't think of them at the moment.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/12 at 2:45 pm

Where is the History in the History Channel?

Cat

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/10/12 at 4:28 pm

Cat

Exactly, now we have stuff like Ice Road Truckers. What the heck?!?!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/12 at 5:08 pm

I had a freebee subscription to the History Channel magazine for 3 months or so. I didn't even have one issue when they kept bugging me to sign up for a lifetime membership. WTF?? I didn't know if I would like it. They kept calling and sending me stuff. I finally told them to forget it because I don't like to be bugged like that.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/10/12 at 5:17 pm

Totally agree with all of the remarks about the History Channel.  It used to be great.

Written By: fusefan on 02/10/12 at 6:26 pm

Yeah, It's either that or some end of the world doomsday nonsense.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/10/12 at 7:23 pm

Cat

They don't show much history anymore.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/12 at 7:27 pm

Now we have shows Big Bang Theory, Meet The Browns and How I Met Your Mother at least some of the shows are watchable.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:27 pm

Now we have shows Big Bang Theory, Meet The Browns and How I Met Your Mother at least some of the shows are watchable.

How dare you mention Big Bang Theory and How I Met your Mother in the same post as

Subject: Re: nope

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:28 pm

.....Meet the Browns?  :o   

What's wrong with you man?!?!?

Subject: Re: .

Written By: Brian06 on 02/11/12 at 5:43 pm

WTF is with all these empty topics.  ???

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:45 pm

dude took his ball and decided to go home.  ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/11/12 at 5:46 pm

pretty certain it's a former banned member back again.  I suspected it last night but didn't ban them right away, even though I should have.  They "self-deleted" all their posts in a childish display.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 5:47 pm

dude took his ball and decided to go home.  ::)

Yup-that just about sums it up.

pretty certain it's a former banned member back again.  I suspected it last night but didn't ban them right away, even though I should have.  They "self-deleted" all their posts in a childish display.

I was wondering about that, too.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:50 pm

Yup-that just about sums it up.

I was wondering about that, too.

Cat

yup....that's why I stayed out of the obvious topics but posted in the ones that had relatively interesting topics being discussed.....also...tango and three or four other persons who "joined" yesterday are probably just him too...  ::) 

Isn't he like old enough to be mature(ish) now? It's been a few years you'd think he'd finally grow up a little.  ::) ::)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 6:22 pm

yup....that's why I stayed out of the obvious topics but posted in the ones that had relatively interesting topics being discussed.....also...tango and three or four other persons who "joined" yesterday are probably just him too...  ::) 

Isn't he like old enough to be mature(ish) now? It's been a few years you'd think he'd finally grow up a little.  ::) ::)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/wbcsign1.png

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 6:36 pm

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/wbcsign1.png

http://www.bowlingshirtwizard.com/avactis-images/CANTFIXSTUPIDlarge.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 02/11/12 at 7:07 pm

My cable service no longer carries Peachtree TV, so I cannot watch Meet the Browns anymore.  I really miss watching it

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 7:38 pm

My cable service no longer carries Peachtree TV, so I cannot watch Meet the Browns anymore.  I really miss watching it

I've actually never seen it.... I just feel like it's not on the level of the other two which I hold in the highest regard.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 7:54 pm

How dare you mention Big Bang Theory and How I Met your Mother in the same post as

How dare me?  ??? I was just mentioning the shows today that are watchable.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 7:55 pm

What's wrong with you man?!?!?

That show is quite funny, Mr.Brown is the modern day Fred Sanford.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 7:56 pm

chunkofgreen was someone from the past? who do you suspect it was?  ???

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 7:57 pm

you can watch clips of it on youtube.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 8:31 pm

That show is quite funny, Mr.Brown is the modern day Fred Sanford.

now let's talk about how much I detested Sanford and Son.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 8:38 pm

now let's talk about how much I detested Sanford and Son.  ::)

would you like to compare?

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 8:40 pm

would you like to compare?

no... I just don't want you comparing subpar comedy to great comedy like HIMYM and BBT....

I mean you might as well compare Whitney to I Love Lucy  ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 8:42 pm

no... I just don't want you comparing subpar comedy to great comedy like HIMYM and BBT....

Ok so I won't compare.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/12/12 at 1:09 am

I've never liked himym...

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/12 at 1:20 am

I've never liked himym...

If you haven't watched from tge beginning then you're doing it wrong. It very definintely has nuances tgat need to be watched progressively.  I didn't puck it up til  I went to the 100th ep at Paley but after that I watched them all in order and it came together.

I will say the pacing is different but if you give into it you almost forget about it.
One of the thongs I love most is how layered their stories are. There will be an ep where Ted says and the this thing happened (like a stain on a shirt, a bet gone wrong etc) but we'll get to that later.....then 7 eps later they actually get to it. Given time the show really pays off in big ways.

Check for new replies or respond here...