inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is a 1920s revival on the horizon?

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/18/12 at 10:03 am

I read on this fashion website that Spring, 2012, would see an influx in 1920s-influenced fashion trends. I haven't seen any evidence to indicate this, but I will keep my eyes peeled. What do you think?

http://www.fashionising.com/trends/b--1920s-fashion-954.html

Subject: Re: Is a 1920s revival on the horizon?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/18/12 at 10:16 am

I read on this fashion website that Spring, 2012, would see an influx in 1920s-influenced fashion trends. I haven't seen any evidence to indicate this, but I will keep my eyes peeled. What do you think?

Time to begin brushing up on my megaphone crooning skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PlhJOzH0gY

:D

Written By: Howard on 02/18/12 at 7:42 pm

1920's revival? I don't think so.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/12 at 8:26 pm

We've had one, economically speaking.
::)

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/18/12 at 8:48 pm

I guess I should take that website's content with a grain of salt, then.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/12 at 7:19 am

http://28.media.tumblr.com/bWL6lotunp8fdq7e4A5GODQCo1_500.jpg

I guess you want guys to go out of the house wearing a top hat.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/12 at 7:34 am

1920's revival? I don't think so.
I think so, with movie The Artist gaining film awards the whole world over.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/12 at 4:57 pm

HECK YEAH.  My Dad was in his 20's during the Roaring Twenties; he said they rocked.  I would not mind partying with some flappers.  :P

I'm gonna go out and get myself a tux with tails, a top hat, and a black walking cane with a sterling silver knob and a white tip.  Maybe even a raccoon coat.  23 Skidoo!!!!!  ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 02/19/12 at 6:48 pm

No.  1930s possibly, as today's economic circumstances is very reminiscent of the 1930s.  The 1920s still had a lot of Victorian era influences that I don't foresee coming back anytime soon.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/12 at 7:03 am

HECK YEAH.  My Dad was in his 20's during the Roaring Twenties; he said they rocked.  I would not mind partying with some flappers.  :P

I'm gonna go out and get myself a tux with tails, a top hat, and a black walking cane with a sterling silver knob and a white tip.  Maybe even a raccoon coat.  23 Skidoo!!!!!  ;D

you also got to remember to carry a lot of money in your wallet too.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/21/12 at 12:29 pm

you also got to remember to carry a lot of money in your wallet too.

Yeah, I'm gonna make it RAIN!!!

Bring on the flappers!!!!!!  8)

Written By: Howard on 02/21/12 at 7:11 pm

http://www.uvm.edu/landscape/dating/clothing_and_hair/1920s_clothing_men_files/image002.jpg

Wow look at what the guys were wearing at that time? :o

Written By: 80sfan on 02/22/12 at 11:07 pm

I don't see it happening.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/12 at 3:48 am

http://www.uvm.edu/landscape/dating/clothing_and_hair/1920s_clothing_men_files/image002.jpg

Wow look at what the guys were wearing at that time? :o
...and to bring back the true feeling of the 1920's, scrap the Internet!

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/23/12 at 6:02 am

Back in the 20's, the "party line" telephone was their version of the internet.  :P

Written By: Howard on 02/23/12 at 6:48 am

I don't see it happening.

me neither unless you want to go out your house and on the bus looking like a damn fool.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/12 at 6:50 am

What were they using as technology back then?

Written By: Howard on 02/23/12 at 6:52 am

Back in the 20's, the "party line" telephone was their version of the internet.  :P

http://www.payphone.com/images/D/CR64-BC-d1.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 02/23/12 at 11:37 am

http://www.payphone.com/images/D/CR64-BC-d1.jpg

I think the phone is actually cool! Sure, it's probably slower than phones and cell phones today, but
I like the way it looks, it's kinda strangely amusing.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/23/12 at 11:38 am

I actually like the energy of the 1920s. It was optimistic, rebellious, cars became prominent in society, the economy was good, etc, etc. Kinda reminds me of the 1990s!

Written By: Creeder on 02/23/12 at 1:00 pm

I actually like the energy of the 1920s. It was optimistic, rebellious, cars became prominent in society, the economy was good, etc, etc. Kinda reminds me of the 1990s!

Well... not in Europe.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/23/12 at 1:34 pm

Well... not in Europe.

Not sure, because I don't know much about European history! ;D

I'm sure you're correct though.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/12 at 7:29 pm

I think the phone is actually cool! Sure, it's probably slower than phones and cell phones today, but
I like the way it looks, it's kinda strangely amusing.  8)

How do you make long distance calls using that?

Written By: Howard on 02/23/12 at 7:31 pm

and women were hot.

Written By: PurifiedOrange on 02/27/12 at 10:19 am

Niche decade revivals are just what they are, niche. People now are bringing back what they can, and the most powerful one right now is 90s revival since the current 20somethings who grew up in the 90s are now looking back on their childhood. Even Nickelodeon noticed this from the numerous Nicktoons dedicated facebook pages and Tumblr(yes they really looked at those pages and decided to make that block) pages and decided to bring back the 90s shows, and it's been one of the most successful things they did in years. People have always been bringing back mismatched elements of older decade. But no one is going to ever fully back to any of those decades, not in fashion, not in anything. If you ever think people will drop all modern fashion, and everybody goes back to that you're mistaken. Usually what's on the runway is just for show or for rich people, not the general public. It's like those people who keep trying to shoehorn steampunk into fashion discussion as a dominant fashion choice, while steampunk isn't practical enough for everyone to ever do it. And a lot of past decade looks like costumes now, as a matter of fact they sell past fashion as costumes now. The 80s(the more radical fashion of the 80s) look silly now, the afros, leisure suits and nehru jackets of the 70s look silly now. In full on garb I mean, when people take these elements and mash them up with what's new, it actually looks like fashion and not a costume.

General fashion will keep moving on, even niche fashion that looks toward the future will keep moving on, but dressing fully like past decades will continue to be niche. Feigning about dressing about past American decades 'As they were so great', is American exceptionalism and traditionalism at it's worst. I love my grandparents, I respect the past, but I don't care about dressing like I came out of a time machine.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/27/12 at 7:30 pm

Steampunk rocks.  I'm going to convert my whole wardrobe to the steampunk genre.

http://www.robotvsbadger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/steampunk-man1.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/28/12 at 6:43 am

Steampunk rocks.  I'm going to convert my whole wardrobe to the steampunk genre.

http://www.robotvsbadger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/steampunk-man1.jpg

That ain't 1920's style.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/12 at 6:44 am

How was the dating scene in the 1920's?

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/28/12 at 11:31 pm

Hate to admit it, but you and Howard are both right.

Art deco was more of a 30s thing, but I wouldn't mind seeing it come back either.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/29/12 at 6:18 pm

How was the dating scene in the 1920's?

Pretty good.  My Dad said that he used to party big time in the roaring 20's.  8)

Written By: Howard on 03/01/12 at 7:09 am

Pretty good.  My Dad said that he used to party big time in the roaring 20's.  8)

Could you at least bag a girl back then?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/12 at 6:04 pm

Could you at least bag a girl back then?

Oh, heck yeah. Sneak on out to a Speakeasy and score with a flapper, maybe two if you played your cards right.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/01/12 at 6:52 pm

Now you're on the trolley!  And how!  If you can spare a clam we can pick up some dames, get an edge at the gin mill and take the jalopy to the new talkie at the Paramount!

http://meta4r.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/georgeandanna-004.jpg

:-\\

Written By: Howard on 03/01/12 at 7:11 pm

Oh, heck yeah. Sneak on out to a Speakeasy and score with a flapper, maybe two if you played your cards right.  :P

What did you use for protection? condoms weren't invented yet. ???

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/01/12 at 7:44 pm

Condoms were around in the '20s. It would have probably been more difficult to obtain them, though.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/12 at 7:44 pm

Condooms have been around for centuries in one form or another.  http://www.avert.org/condoms.htm

http://www.avert.org/apps/media_gallery/files/images/410/an-early-condom-design-believed-to-be-from-the-1700s-web.gif

Written By: Howard on 03/02/12 at 6:42 am

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_us4GR2yzMOg/ScplZgkZfEI/AAAAAAAABYo/rIR02Co05lw/s400/deerskins.jpg

Why would any guy put deer skin on their twig and berries?  :P

Written By: Howard on 03/02/12 at 6:42 am

Condoms were around in the '20s. It would have probably been more difficult to obtain them, though.

You would need some sort of I.D.

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/02/12 at 8:18 pm

You would need some sort of I.D.

Plus it was still downright illegal in some parts of the country.

Although clinics became more common in the late 1920s, the movement still faced significant challenges: Large sectors of the medical community were still resistant to birth control; birth control advocates were blacklisted by the radio industry; and state and federal laws – though generally not enforced – still outlawed contraception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control_in_the_United_States#Opposition

Written By: Howard on 03/03/12 at 6:54 am

Where could you take a girl out to eat back then?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/03/12 at 5:19 pm

Where could you take a girl out to eat back then?

You'd take her to the local drug store, where they had a soda fountain.  You couldn't order her a Shirley Temple because they were not invented yet, so it was either a Coke or a sasparilla.  The soda jerk would also cook up a couple burgers if you wanted.  :P

After that you'd proceed to the local theatre, probably called the Bijou or the Warner.  In the early 20's they were silent films but by the late 20's they were talkies.  That's back when films were real and none of this ridiculous over-the-top special effects crap.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/12 at 5:51 pm

You'd take her to the local drug store, where they had a soda fountain.  You couldn't order her a Shirley Temple because they were not invented yet, so it was either a Coke or a sasparilla.  The soda jerk would also cook up a couple burgers if you wanted.  :P

After that you'd proceed to the local theatre, probably called the Bijou or the Warner.  In the early 20's they were silent films but by the late 20's they were talkies.  That's back when films were real and none of this ridiculous over-the-top special effects crap.  ::)

Old timers in Boston still call soft drinks "tonic."  That's because "health tonics" were popular before the FDA.  Sometimes the key ingredients were narcotics, stimulants, opiates, or alcohol.  Sometimes it was just snake oil.  The pharmacist would mix the tonic for you, but a lot of those preparations tasted foul, so druggists began to add sweet syrups and phosphates to make them more pleasing.  Thus Pemberton invented Coca-Cola in 1886.  Soda fountains were common in drug stores straight through the 1960s.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/03/12 at 5:59 pm

Old timers in Boston still call soft drinks "tonic."  That's because "health tonics" were popular before the FDA.  Sometimes the key ingredients were narcotics, stimulants, opiates, or alcohol.  Sometimes it was just snake oil.  The pharmacist would mix the tonic for you, but a lot of those preparations tasted foul, so druggists began to add sweet syrups and phosphates to make them more pleasing.  Thus Pemberton invented Coca-Cola in 1886.  Soda fountains were common in drug stores straight through the 1960s.

Back in the day, Coca Cola really did have "coke" in it.  :o

Written By: Howard on 03/03/12 at 7:26 pm

I'll take her to a small restaurant and order burgers and sasparilla for the both of us. Later Her And I would both share an ice cream soda for dessert.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/12 at 7:27 pm

Back in the day, Coca Cola really did have "coke" in it.  :o

was it the Coke Classic? ???

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/03/12 at 10:25 pm

The perfect 1920s date for me would be to go dancing at a club in Harlem to the latest jazz single.  :)

Written By: Howard on 03/04/12 at 7:00 am

The perfect 1920s date for me would be to go dancing at a club in Harlem to the latest jazz single.  :)

You would have to wear your zoot suit.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/12 at 7:01 am

what was playing in the cinemas during that era?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/12 at 7:11 am

Remember that cinemas were silent up to around 1927.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/04/12 at 8:44 am

Stuff like "The Great Train Robbery" and "The Birth of a Nation".

Then you had Charlie Chaplin's movies like "The Tramp".  Now THERE'S a dude who knew how to party back in the 20's.  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/12 at 8:45 am

Then you had Charlie Chaplin's movies like "The Tramp".  Now THERE'S a dude who knew how to party back in the 20's.  :P
Did Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle know how to party back then?

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/04/12 at 8:54 am

Hate to admit it, but you and Howard are both right.

Art deco was more of a 30s thing, but I wouldn't mind seeing it come back either.

Steam punk is actually based on Victorian or Wild West fashions and the science fiction writings of the time.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/04/12 at 10:05 am

Did Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle know how to party back then?

Oh yes, of course.  He partied like it was 1999 before people even knew what that meant. 

He took a bum rap in a series of manslaughter trials (first two were hung juries, the last, acquitting one, returned a not-guilty verdict in 14 minutes flat) though and he was essentially blacklisted for the rest of his life.  :-\\  The jury returned not only a not-guilty verdict but the following memo:

Acquittal is not enough for Roscoe Arbuckle. We feel that a great injustice has been done to him... there was not the slightest proof adduced to connect him in any way with the commission of a crime. He was manly throughout the case and told a straightforward story which we all believe. We wish him success and hope that the American people will take the judgement of fourteen men and women that Roscoe Arbuckle is entirely innocent and free from all blame. ”

Written By: Howard on 03/04/12 at 7:29 pm

I guess me and my girl could sit through a Charlie Chaplin film.

Written By: ralfy on 04/16/16 at 9:16 pm

Related:

"'The Birth of a Nation': Watch Harrowing Trailer for Sundance Smash"

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/watch-harrowing-trailer-for-sundance-smash-the-birth-of-a-nation-20160415

Written By: 80sfan on 04/16/16 at 9:38 pm

In the 2020's, maybe!  :D

Written By: Toon on 04/16/16 at 10:06 pm

It would be cool if the 2020s was like a neo-1920s. That's something I can get behind.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/16/16 at 10:22 pm

It would be cool if the 2020s was like a neo-1920s. That's something I can get behind.

I know what you mean!  8)

Written By: #Infinity on 04/16/16 at 10:25 pm

So long as there aren't mobsters, klansmen, and completely unregulated economics to accompany it!

Written By: Toon on 04/17/16 at 12:07 am

So long as there aren't mobsters, klansmen, and completely unregulated economics to accompany it!

Oh right! Yeah, I think we'd be better off without a 2020s version of those. Kind of scary to even think about.

Written By: Toon on 04/17/16 at 12:23 am

It would be cool if the 2020s was another "Roaring Twenties".
http://freedomdanish.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/roaring2020s.jpg

From the 1920s-1940s Big Band Swing music was REALLY popular. In the 2020s maybe Electro Swing would hit mainstream popularity. Electro Swing is basically 1920s-1940s Swing music, but mixed with Electro Dance Music.

For example in the 1920s-1940s you'd get swing music  like this
qDQpZT3GhDgzKfIgd-OSI0

While in the 2010s-2020s you'd get electro swing music like this
92OdugGBUjAC6-TWRn0k4I

And it would be cool to see the old fashion return.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e7/05/42/e705427837da4b0bb0479c267831529b.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 04/17/16 at 12:29 am

Oh right! Yeah, I think we'd be better off without a 2020s version of those. Kind of scary to even think about.

If we can just prevent Donald Trump from winning the White House!

Written By: Toon on 04/17/16 at 12:36 am

If we can just prevent Donald Trump from winning the White House!

I know proceed to put all my hope into Hilary Clinton winning the election. Obama steps out in a few more months. Crazy to think that whatever happens in the next few months will create a whole new era that'll span from the rest of this decade to the next one.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/17/16 at 12:51 am

I know proceed to put all my hope into Hilary Clinton winning the election. Obama steps out in a few more months. Crazy to think that whatever happens in the next few months will create a whole new era that'll span from the rest of this decade to the next one.

To be fair, Donald Trump sort of seems like impeachment fodder to me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/16 at 9:05 am

To be fair, Donald Trump sort of seems like impeachment fodder to me.

He'll probably be impeached shorter than Nixon, since barely anybody likes him at this point.

Written By: TheKid99 on 04/17/16 at 11:47 am

And Hillary isnt much better either......... she faces possibility of indictment and Trump does not.

Written By: Howard on 04/17/16 at 3:15 pm

It would be cool if the 2020s was another "Roaring Twenties".
http://freedomdanish.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/roaring2020s.jpg

From the 1920s-1940s Big Band Swing music was REALLY popular. In the 2020s maybe Electro Swing would hit mainstream popularity. Electro Swing is basically 1920s-1940s Swing music, but mixed with Electro Dance Music.

For example in the 1920s-1940s you'd get swing music  like this
qDQpZT3GhDgzKfIgd-OSI0

While in the 2010s-2020s you'd get electro swing music like this
92OdugGBUjAC6-TWRn0k4I

And it would be cool to see the old fashion return.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e7/05/42/e705427837da4b0bb0479c267831529b.jpg

I can't see people these days dressing like The 1920's.

Written By: Toon on 04/17/16 at 9:06 pm

I can't see people these days dressing like The 1920's.

I said the same thing about the 2010's fashion, but boy was I wrong. Now I also don't expect fashion to go back to the 1920s either (even if it did it would probably have some modifications), but then again fashion is unpredictable. The 2020s fashion could probably be even more ridiculous than what we have today.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/17/16 at 11:09 pm

Maybe we'll see a return of silent cinema? The Artist winning best picture proves it can still be done today! Or, if you please, just mute all of your Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Hulu, etc. shows and films.

Written By: 2001 on 04/18/16 at 3:53 pm

I saw a lady dressing 1920s on TV today. It was in French though. She had the bob hair with a giant pin on it, then she had a thousand pearl necklaces around her neck and a floral dress. It was a segment about the Lebanese Civil War so it was really out of nowhere.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/18/16 at 3:53 pm

It would be nice to see a jazz or swing revival, but it was tried in the late 1990s and failed. It's music that actually takes talent though and today, the music industry is more interested in sex appeal than actual talent. Even electro-swing was tried in 2011 but never went anywhere. Kids today would rather listen to Ariana Grande.

Written By: Toon on 04/18/16 at 11:54 pm

It would be nice to see a jazz or swing revival, but it was tried in the late 1990s and failed. It's music that actually takes talent though and today, the music industry is more interested in sex appeal than actual talent. Even electro-swing was tried in 2011 but never went anywhere. Kids today would rather listen to Ariana Grande.

Yeah, I suppose people just don't care for Jazz as much anymore. And even things like Electro-Swing which were a modern twist on the Swing genre didn't seem to have much success (sad as I love nearly all Swing and Electro Swing songs). Guess you're right. Being a big jazz fan it's very disappointing that no one knows what I'm talking about when ever I reference a Jazz/Swing/Blues/Electro-Swing band or musician. Who knows when the next Jazz revival comes around. And even if we do have another I don't know if it'll even last that long before dying.

Maybe we'll see a return of silent cinema? The Artist winning best picture proves it can still be done today! Or, if you please, just mute all of your Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Hulu, etc. shows and films.

HA! I'm wondering if people these days would even want silent cinema to make a comeback. I watch a lot of silent cartoons from the 1920s, so I'd may be interested in watching some new age silent cinema. But I assume most people prefer to have their movies with sound.

I saw a lady dressing 1920s on TV today. It was in French though. She had the bob hair with a giant pin on it, then she had a thousand pearl necklaces around her neck and a floral dress. It was a segment about the Lebanese Civil War so it was really out of nowhere.

Oh wow. Makes me wonder if the 1920s fashion is back in style in the area that she is from.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/19/16 at 6:39 am

But it wouldn't have the same feeling compared to actual silent films. Unless you turned on closed captioning.

Written By: Toon on 04/19/16 at 2:06 pm

But it wouldn't have the same feeling compared to actual silent films. Unless you turned on closed captioning.

- Black and White visuals
- No voice audio
- Funny music in the background
- Whenever the character speaks the picture will cut to an image that shows what the character said

Wonder if people these days will be able to sit through something like this. The very fact that the film is in black and white will probably turn them away from it.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/16 at 3:39 pm

kids today would not listen to jazz.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/16 at 3:40 pm

- Black and White visuals
- No voice audience.
- Funny music in the background
- Whenever the character speaks the picture will cut to an image that shows what the character said

Wonder if people these days will be able to sit through something like this. The very fact that the film is in black and white will probably turn them away from it.

I doubt it.

Written By: Toon on 04/19/16 at 7:16 pm

kids today would not listen to jazz.

Kids these days. Jazz is a great genre, but I guess since it's not the latest rap or hip hop song kids don't care for it.  :\'(

I don't think a 1920s revival would even happen if people don't even care for things that were popular in the 1920s such as Jazz or the fashion. But hey public taste can taste instantly. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things are by the time we reach 2020.

Written By: 2001 on 04/19/16 at 8:24 pm

Kids these days. Jazz is a great genre, but I guess since it's not the latest rap or hip hop song kids don't care for it.  :\'(

I don't think a 1920s revival would even happen if people don't even care for things that were popular in the 1920s such as Jazz or the fashion. But hey public taste can taste instantly. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things are by the time we reach 2020.

Haha they play loud Jazz music at the subway stations here to make loitering teenagers go away. ;D

Written By: Toon on 04/19/16 at 8:38 pm

Haha they play loud Jazz music at the subway stations here to make loitering teenagers go away. ;D

This is madness! Instead of appreciating Jazz people are now just it as a teenager repellent.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 04/20/16 at 7:58 am

us guys at a time were brought up with good music.

Written By: Toon on 04/20/16 at 1:00 pm

us guys at a time were brought up with good music.

We need that good music to come back. Although I the trends in the music industry and musical tastes within the general public needs to change first.

In the mean time I'm just gonna keep listening to my Electro Swing.
mKcPyFryc_koGt6zPIfUuU

Written By: Howard on 04/20/16 at 2:38 pm

We need that good music to come back. Although I the trends in the music industry and musical tastes within the general public needs to change first.

In the mean time I'm just gonna keep listening to my Electro Swing.
mKcPyFryc_koGt6zPIfUuU

our generation grows up and we have to try to move forward.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/20/16 at 6:23 pm

our generation grows up and we have to try to move forward.

Uhhh... Howard? I think that music is just a little bit older than your generation. Just a little bit... ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/20/16 at 6:27 pm

Uhhh... Howard? I think that music is just a little bit older than your generation. Just a little bit... ;D

Wasn't '20s music made for the Greatest Generation. Howard was born in 1974, which was a Gen X year. So, it's much older than his generation. 60 years older, per se.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/20/16 at 6:29 pm

Wasn't '20s music made for the Greatest Generation. Howard was born in 1974, which was a Gen X year. So, it's much older than his generation. 60 years older, per se.

Yeah, quite a bit of time had passed between the Jazz age and Howard's birth.

Written By: Toon on 04/20/16 at 6:40 pm

Maybe with some internet searching I can figure out a way to help start a new Jazz age. My master plan will be flawless! Flawless I tell you! >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/20/16 at 6:45 pm

Maybe with some internet searching I can figure out a way to help start a new Jazz age. My master plan will be flawless! Flawless I tell you! >:(

"Flawless"

Written By: 2001 on 04/20/16 at 6:58 pm

I got into Jazz around the time the Great Gatsby movie came out. I read the book before watching the movie and listened to some Dinah Washington and Ella Fitzgerald.

Jazz is my generation. You old people wouldn't understand.

Written By: Toon on 04/20/16 at 7:00 pm

"Flawless"

Hey I can have flawless ideas!  >:(

I got into Jazz around the time the Great Gatsby movie came out. I read the book before watching the movie and listened to some Dinah Washington and Ella Fitzgerald.

But I'm all about that that Jazzy Swing!  8)

Written By: Toon on 04/20/16 at 7:02 pm

According to research Both jazz and classical represent just 1.4% of total U.S. music consumption a piece in 2014. I don't know how I feel about this... :(

Also Hip Hop is part of the reason Jazz declined in popularity. I will know proceed to focus all my hate and anger and hip hop.

Written By: 2001 on 04/20/16 at 7:05 pm

According to research Both jazz and classical represent just 1.4% of total U.S. music consumption a piece in 2014. I don't know how I feel about this... :(

Also Hip Hop is part of the reason Jazz declined in popularity. I will know proceed to focus all my hate and anger and hip hop.

1% is a lot more than I thought it would be.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/20/16 at 7:09 pm

Millennials don't even like Jazz. They prefer music like Noah's Trees and Aggravated Dragonforce. The most Jazz you guys get is Kenny G Jazz!

Hey I can have flawless ideas!  >:(

But I'm all about that that Jazzy Swing!  8)

"Flawless"

Written By: Toon on 04/20/16 at 7:11 pm

1% is a lot more than I thought it would be.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AhsszqE2PXw/VQVXXmpCcRI/AAAAAAAAD4M/dY7yG3IUYNs/s1600/jazz.PNG
It's not the lowest. The lowest is Children's songs. Rock, Hip Hop, and Pop are the top 3 genres at the moment. And I'm also surprised to see Country music being over 10%.

Written By: 2001 on 04/20/16 at 7:11 pm

Millennials don't even like Jazz. They prefer music like Noah's Trees and Aggravated Dragonforce. The most Jazz you guys get is Kenny G Jazz!

"Flawless"

Good thing I'm Gen Alpha.

Written By: Toon on 04/20/16 at 7:12 pm

"Flawless"
>:( >:( >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/20/16 at 7:17 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AhsszqE2PXw/VQVXXmpCcRI/AAAAAAAAD4M/dY7yG3IUYNs/s1600/jazz.PNG
It's not the lowest. The lowest is Children's songs. Rock, Hip Hop, and Pop are the top 3 genres at the moment. And I'm also surprised to see Country music being over 10%.

I'm surprised children's songs are the lowest due to the new fetishes that have taken the world by storm recently...

Good thing I'm Gen Alpha.

You mean Gen Beta? ;)

>:( >:( >:(

;) ;) ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/21/16 at 3:03 pm

my generation was more disco and funk music.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/21/16 at 4:20 pm

my generation was more disco and funk music.

When I think of X'er music I think of Punk, New Wave, Grunge and Alternative.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/22/16 at 8:45 am

The women's fashion was interesting.  :) And hey at least the gentleman isn't sagging his pants.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 04/22/16 at 9:15 am

The women's fashion was interesting.  :) And hey at least the gentleman isn't sagging his pants.  >:(

that's a guy with class.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/22/16 at 9:17 am

that's a guy with class.

But does he use the deer skin? ???

Written By: 2001 on 04/22/16 at 9:38 am

I don't think top hats were popular in the '20s. It was the small skimmer straw hats for men, and cloche for women. There were other styles too of course.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/16 at 2:02 pm

But does he use the deer skin? ???

I don't know.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/22/16 at 9:51 pm

I don't know.

Wearing the deer skin is important, Howard! He's gonna be in a hell of a lot of trouble without that deer skin.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/16 at 9:52 pm

The 1920's was a very fun time for me to be alive!

Written By: 2001 on 04/22/16 at 10:00 pm

Not as great as the 1890s for me but at least we could still walk on the streets without being stopped by the police.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/16 at 10:03 pm

Not as great as the 1890s for me but at least we could still walk on the streets without being stopped by the police.

Why don't you get on your horses and ride your wagon, old man!  >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/22/16 at 10:05 pm

Why don't you get on your horses and ride your wagon, old man!  >:(

Yeah, you tell 'em! I bet in the 1890's they didn't even invent the deer skin!! >:(

Such uncouth scallions!!! Such filth!!!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/16 at 10:06 pm

Yeah, you tell 'em! I bet in the 1890's they didn't even invent the deer skin!! >:(

Such uncouth scallions!!! Such filth!!!

Scallops? I love scallops!!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/22/16 at 10:08 pm

Scallops? I love scallops!!

I prefer chicken but to each his own.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/16 at 10:10 pm

I prefer chicken but to each his own.

Would you like to take one of our weekly polls, sir? It's only 4 minutes of your time?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/22/16 at 10:11 pm

Would you like to take one of our weekly polls, sir? It's only 4 minutes of your time?

Are you one of those telemarketers who keep calling? God, they are the worst!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/16 at 10:12 pm

Are you one of those telemarketers who keep calling? God, they are the worst!

We're not a telemarketing place, sir. If you could just give us a few minutes of your time!

Written By: 2001 on 04/22/16 at 10:14 pm

Who else thinks societal decay finished in the 20s? It started in 1904 with the ragtime music and the 1910s with the Great War and Picasso. But the 20s the women went completely naked and the fathers went drunk and the children grew up in a godless materialistic culture. They never longed for anything like us 90s kids. The gayety of the 90s were completely dead by 1904. I think us 90s kids are the last to love in an era resembling any normalcy.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/16 at 10:15 pm

The 1890's was an era of hope!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/22/16 at 10:18 pm

Who else thinks societal decay finished in the 20s? It started in 1904 with the ragtime music and the 1910s with the Great War and Picasso. But the 20s the women went completely naked and the fathers went drunk and the children grew up in a godless materialistic culture. They never longed for anything like us 90s kids. The gayety of the 90s were completely dead by 1904. I think us 90s kids are the last to love in an era resembling any normalcy.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Written By: 2001 on 04/22/16 at 10:29 pm

I see nothing wrong with this.

I'd rather not see my mom naked! And I wouldn't parade my wife around the street like some cattle prize! You 20s kids are disgusting  8-P The other day I saw the milkman wearing half pants! A grown man! Soon the fathers will be naked too and you won't be able to tell the difference between a molester and your husband!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/22/16 at 10:32 pm

I'd rather not see my mom naked! And I wouldn't parade my wife around the street like some cattle prize! You 20s kids are disgusting  8-P The other day I saw the milkman wearing half pants! A grown man! Soon the fathers will be naked too and you won't be able to tell the difference between a molester and your husband!

Well, yeah, that's why you force your mother and wife to put clothes on. When I think about the 1920s, I think of a very liberating time kinda like the 60's. ;) The only thing missing is that slutty 1997 Emo fringe that everybody had back then. Fashion forward! I dunno what to say about the milkman, though. I'd keep him away from your children as he seems like a lot of trouble.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/16 at 10:38 pm

Nobody cares about the 1920s. That was almost 100 years ago.

Written By: 2001 on 04/22/16 at 10:38 pm

Well, yeah, that's why you force your mother and wife to put clothes on. When I think about the 1920s, I think of a very liberating time kinda like the 60's. ;) The only thing missing is that slutty 1997 Emo fringe that everybody had back then. Fashion forward! I dunno what to say about the milkman, though. I'd keep him away from your children as he seems like a lot of trouble.

1997? I don't want to imagine what that's like. Hopefully Armageddon happens before then, I can't see God tolerating much past this decadent decade.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/22/16 at 10:42 pm

1997? I don't want to imagine what that's like. Hopefully Armageddon happens before then, I can't see God tolerating much past this decadent decade.

You're right but I agree for other reasons. I think this decade is so good that society should just stop afterwards. The 1920s the probably the greatest time we will ever have!

How dare you! >:(

Written By: 2001 on 04/22/16 at 10:42 pm

I see more 1920s nostalgia than mid-2000s nostalgia IRL  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/16 at 10:45 pm

That isn't possible unless you're talking about 98 year olds being nostalgic for when they were children.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/22/16 at 10:46 pm

That's 'cause the mid-2000s are the worst. Who the hell wants to go back to the real 00s, anyway? It's like a black hole of boring nothingless. Wing haircuts and PSP, yippee.... ::)

That isn't possible unless you're talking about 98 year olds being nostalgic for when they were children.

I believe him.

Written By: 2001 on 04/22/16 at 10:49 pm

Well, I'm talking about 1920s parties and people dressing flapper and listening to jazz etc. 1920s nostalgia/fandom is actually pretty huge. I wouldn't say "nobody cares", far from it.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/16 at 11:15 pm

Well, I'm talking about 1920s parties and people dressing flapper and listening to jazz etc. 1920s nostalgia/fandom is actually pretty huge. I wouldn't say "nobody cares", far from it.

The 1920s are nothing but a calendar decade. It was literally 96 years ago. We're only heading into the 20s in 4 more years, those are the 20s that people will care about. The 1920s is old and over, it's on the same level as the 1820s in the interest people should have in it...

Written By: 2001 on 04/22/16 at 11:39 pm

The 1920s are nothing but a calendar decade. It was literally 96 years ago. We're only heading into the 20s in 4 more years, those are the 20s that people will care about. The 1920s is old and over, it's on the same level as the 1820s in the interest people should have in it...

Naw, the 1920s are more interesting than that. We had the Great Gatsby movie three years. Admittedly it was awful but it was at the top of the box office for like 3 weeks. I see 1920s references a lot of times just watching TV.

1920s is the first decade that feels "modern" to me. It was the real start of the 20th Century (1910s was build up). The more feminime women's fashion today is more or less building on the styles that started in the 20s.

Written By: Toon on 04/23/16 at 1:24 am

Similar thing can be said for every other decade. Even more recent ones. Doesn't matter on how old or new a time period is. People will find interest in that time period. Now I don't think a revival will happen, but there are people out there with an interest in the 1920s.

Written By: Toon on 04/23/16 at 1:27 am

Naw, the 1920s are more interesting than that. We had the Great Gatsby movie three years. Admittedly it was awful but it was at the top of the box office for like 3 weeks. I see 1920s references a lot of times just watching TV.

1920s is the first decade that feels "modern" to me. It was the real start of the 20th Century (1910s was build up). The more feminime women's fashion today is more or less building on the styles that started in the 20s.

1920s is one of the most interesting decades in history. I've seen tons of people who were interested in the 1920s due to the fact that it was the "Roaring Twenties".

Written By: Howard on 04/23/16 at 7:57 am

Wearing the deer skin is important, Howard! He's gonna be in a hell of a lot of trouble without that deer skin.

Oh you mean a condom?

Written By: Howard on 04/23/16 at 7:57 am

You weren't even born in The 1920's.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/23/16 at 7:58 am

Where was there a payphone to call the police?

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/16 at 8:02 am

Similar thing can be said for every other decade. Even more recent ones. Doesn't matter on how old or new a time period is. People will find interest in that time period. Now I don't think a revival will happen, but there are people out their with an interest in the 1920s.

It helps that my granddad was born 1919 and my grandma in 1923. I feel like the 20s are the last decade I have any real ties to whatsoever. Whenever I see pictures of children in the 20s I can see a bit of my grandparents in them. ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/23/16 at 9:06 am

Oh you mean a condom?

Yeah, man. The deer skin! ;)

Written By: Toon on 04/23/16 at 10:32 am

Soon Jordan will forget all about being Xtreme! as he slowly transforms into a 1920's classy gentlemen. Howard will be their with him.

It helps that my granddad was born 1919 and my grandma in 1923. I feel like the 20s are the last decade I have any real ties to whatsoever. Whenever I see pictures of children in the 20s I can see a bit of my grandparents in them. ;D

1919? 1923? I wish I knew parents who were born back in the early 20th century. Oldest family members I knew were born in the 1940s onward. It's interesting as my grandfather was able to see Looney Tunes back when it was taking the world by storm.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/23/16 at 10:35 am

Soon Jordan will forget all about being Xtreme! as he slowly transforms into a 1920's classy gentlemen. Howard will be their with him.

Just as long as I got the deer skins, I'm fine with this. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/16 at 10:53 am

1919? 1923? I wish I knew parents who were born back in the early 20th century. Oldest family members I knew were born in the 1940s onward. It's interesting as my grandfather was able to see Looney Tunes back when it was taking the world by storm.

Yeah I wish I got to know them better too but they passed away when I was 10/12 so I had zero interest in history. My grandpa tried telling me his war stories but I didn't want to hear much because I thought war was evil. If they were alive I would ask them incessantly about the 20s/30s, they would wish they were dead  ;D I learned a bit about the 40s from my paternal grandma... Picking out coal from the gutters and stuff. It was super interesting.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/16 at 2:22 pm

Yeah, man. The deer skin! ;)

Then say so.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/16 at 2:23 pm

Just as long as I got the deer skins, I'm fine with this. 8)

and make sure it's ribbed for her pleasure.  ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/16 at 5:18 pm

My Dad was born in 1907 and my Grand Dad was born in 1861.  :o

I had a first cousin who was born in 1921.  :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/16 at 5:28 pm

Wow. :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/16 at 5:35 pm

Wow. :o

The generations in my family are a bit out of alignment.  I had a first cousin who was Arnold Palmer's high school teacher. And I have a third cousin in his thirties who finds it hard to believe that his great grandfather was my uncle.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/16 at 5:40 pm

The generations in my family are a bit out of alignment.  I had a first cousin who was Arnold Palmer's high school teacher. And I have a third cousin in his thirties who finds it hard to believe that his great grandfather was my uncle.  ;D

I never knew that your cousin can be Arnold Palmer's high school teacher. He's gotta be over 100 years old or something. The teacher, not Arnold Palmer. It's kinda weird, because most of my family was born in the 20th century.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/16 at 5:47 pm

I never knew that your cousin can be Arnold Palmer's high school teacher. He's gotta be over 100 years old or something. The teacher, not Arnold Palmer. It's kinda weird, because most of my family was born in the 20th century.

Well my cuz passed away over 20 years ago; she'd be 92 if she were still alive.  Amongst my first cousins, she was the second oldest and I am the youngest.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/16 at 8:18 pm

Wow that's a long time ago! Did you ever meet your granddad? :o

Written By: Slim95 on 04/23/16 at 9:05 pm

LOL Nice new dp Slowpoke!  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/23/16 at 9:50 pm

and make sure it's ribbed for her pleasure.  ;)

I dunno, we might have to wait for the next decade to get that kind of technology.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/24/16 at 3:10 am

No, he died long before I came along. I did know my other grandpa though, and he was born in 1876.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...