inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Somebody That I Used to Know

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/12 at 6:43 pm

Gotye is a Belgian-born Australian singer.  Kimbra is a New Zealand born singer.  Together, their 2011 song 'Somebody That I Used to Know' has become a Top 40 hit almost the world over and seems to be one of the more popular songs on the radio at the moment.  Anyone else like this song?

Gotye and Kimbra - Somebody That I Used to Know UK #1 | NL #1 | CAN #7 | US #5]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

In January of 2012, a cover version by a Canadian group called Walk Off the Earth surfaced.  Unusual in style, this version features 5 people playing one guitar, and since became quite popular in several parts of Europe where it hit the Top 40 in Denmark (#12), Austria (#30) and Belgium (#30).  It also charted in Ireland (#48), Germany (#57) and France (#80)

Walk Off the Earth version UK #80 | CAN #13]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M

Subject: Re: Somebody That I Used to Know

Written By: karen on 02/24/12 at 8:58 am

I do like this song.  I heard it a few months back on Jo Whiley's Radio 2 show, before it charted I think.  She plays it quite regularly.

I don't listen to the Top 40 show so I had no idea it was number 1!

Written By: Brian06 on 03/03/12 at 10:07 pm

Great song. I heard it on the radio a few times today.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/20/12 at 5:34 am

I love this too, I think its amazing that an indie rock ballad can reach #1. Even if I didn't like it, I'd still be happy that something a bit different was charting.

I love 1:33 on, he really sounds like Sting. The music even sounds like one of his songs, or maybe Peter Gabriel.

Written By: Tam on 03/22/12 at 10:22 am

or maybe Peter Gabriel.

I honestly thought it was PG releasing a new song/album.
To me, it sounds like something that would appear on the "So" album.
Sting, Paul Simon as well.
I just love the song!

Written By: 80sfan on 03/22/12 at 10:39 am

It's number 5 on the Billboard 200 in the US!

Written By: Emman on 03/22/12 at 11:49 am

Are we finally starting to have an indie invasion in mainstream pop music now?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/22/12 at 12:28 pm

Are we finally starting to have an indie invasion in mainstream pop music now?

Maybe that's why Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People was so popular last year!  :o

Written By: Creeder on 03/24/12 at 5:16 pm

Its too minimalistic for my taste, but it does sound a lot like Sting and has 80s vibe.

Written By: whistledog on 03/24/12 at 6:04 pm

It's strange .. when I listen to the radio, I always hear the Walk Off the Earth version.  Whenever I watch Much More Music on TV, I always see the Gotye music video.  I see since I made this thread, the Walk Off the Earth version has hit the Top 40 in Denmark, Bulgaria, Austria and Belgium

I still prefer the Walk Off the Earth version because it was so original .. 5 people playing one guitar, just fantastic!.  When they went on the Ellen show, Ellen gave them each their own guitar so they would not have to share one lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvviLGNydeg

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/25/12 at 6:34 am

I heard this on the radio for the first time the other day, my daughter was like " who the heck is this?" and I could was able to tell her!  I was cool for a split second.  ;D

I like the song but I have not heard the other version on the radio.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/25/12 at 6:35 am

Maybe that's why Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People was so popular last year!  :o

I liked that song too but they censored everything and played it a million times a day!

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/12 at 2:50 pm

Lately, the Gotye version gets the most radio play, but I tend to listen to the WOTE version more.  Have you heard the Glee version? lol

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/16/12 at 3:32 pm

I'm not a fan of Gotye.

Kimbra, on the other hand, is awesome.  If I were ever in New Zealand and were going to throw a party, I'd invite Kimbra.    :P

Written By: Step-chan on 06/16/12 at 4:08 pm

I remember hearing this alot as well, actually have a semi idea for a parody of it, but I don't know if it's allowed on Amiright.

http://img.ponibooru.org/_images/ebf8272baaf869e27a5bcac79f40c295/156999%20-%20artist%3ASlightly-Stratus%20big_macintosh%20cheerilee%20Gotye%20parody.png

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Edit: Now I've added a spoiler.

Written By: Creeder on 06/16/12 at 5:25 pm

Its too minimalistic for my taste, but it does sound a lot like Sting and has 80s vibe.

The song has really grown on me, I love it now. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...