inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Adele... Bigger than Whitney Houston?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/12 at 5:15 pm

Was watching VH-1's "Top 100 Women of Music" and they had Whitney in sixth place, behind Adele, Gaga, Mariah, Madonna and I forget who the other one was.

Who here thinks Adele is bigger at Whitney when you look at her career?  Seems disrepectful of Whitney at this juncture.  They shoulda named her (Whitney) #1.

Subject: Re: Adele... Bigger than Whitney Houston?

Written By: gibbo on 02/25/12 at 6:42 pm

No 'Johnny Come Lately's' can be the best ever.... I think Madonna (I'm not a fan) deserves top spot because she wrote, sang and danced ... and has longevity.

Houston would be in the top 5 though. I'd put Streisand before her...

Written By: Howard on 02/25/12 at 7:09 pm

No 'Johnny Come Lately's' can be the best ever.... I think Madonna (I'm not a fan) deserves top spot because she wrote, sang and danced ... and has longevity.

Houston would be in the top 5 though. I'd put Streisand before her...

Madonna has been singing for 31 years so she deserves the top spot.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/25/12 at 7:13 pm

Was watching VH-1's "Top 100 Women of Music" and they had Whitney in sixth place, behind Adele, Gaga, Mariah, Madonna and I forget who the other one was.

Who here thinks Adele is bigger at Whitney when you look at her career?  Seems disrepectful of Whitney at this juncture.  They shoulda named her (Whitney) #1.

Whitney's career is like maybe ten years at best.  She was pretty much done after the Bodyguard. Adele is seems a little high, but considering the number of Grammy wins a couple weeks ago, might be deserved.

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/12 at 8:07 pm

Adele has only been around since 2007 and just has 2 albums.  It's too early to compare her to Whitney, even too early to compare her to Britney, but you can never compare her to Gene Pitney (sorry, was just looking for a way to rhyme that lol)

Whitney's career is like maybe ten years at best.  She was pretty much done after the Bodyguard.

Thumbs up to this!

Written By: 80sfan on 02/25/12 at 8:21 pm

Whitney's career is like maybe ten years at best.   She was pretty much done after the Bodyguard. Adele is seems a little high, but considering the number of Grammy wins a couple weeks ago, might be deserved.

I'd say 13 years at best. Her 1998 album was a hit, after that it was downhill though for Whitney. So 1985 to 1998 was her career. 

Written By: 80sfan on 02/25/12 at 8:22 pm

Madonna has been singing for 31 years so she deserves the top spot.

Plus, she's the biggest selling female artist of all time and I'm not even that big of a fan.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/25/12 at 8:22 pm

Adele has only been around since 2007 and just has 2 albums.  It's too early to compare her to Whitney, even too early to compare her to Britney, but you can never compare her to Gene Pitney (sorry, was just looking for a way to rhyme that lol)

Thumbs up to this!

It's true Adele has been around since 2007, but she didn't break out in the mainstream until 2011.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/25/12 at 11:12 pm

It's true Adele has been around since 2007, but she didn't break out in the mainstream until 2011.

nonsense.  I know next to nothing about current music, and I knew of her back in 2008.

Personally I find it funny to argue a list from VH1, which puts together the must ridiculous lists I've ever seen. Not to mention they barely play music at all, much like their parent channel.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/25/12 at 11:13 pm

nonsense.  I know next to nothing about current music, and I knew of her back in 2008.

Personally I find it funny to argue a list from VH1, which puts together the must ridiculous lists I've ever seen. Not to mention they barely play music at all, much like their parent channel.

It's all Reality TV shows on VH1! :D

Written By: Howard on 02/26/12 at 6:49 am

I'd say 13 years at best. Her 1998 album was a hit, after that it was downhill though for Whitney. So 1985 to 1998 was her career.

and Whitney had a few good hits and I agree her career went downhill after a while.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/12 at 6:50 am

Plus, she's the biggest selling female artist of all time and I'm not even that big of a fan.

Why is that?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/26/12 at 8:09 am

Why is that?

Because she sold more records than any other woman.

Written By: snozberries on 02/26/12 at 8:14 am

Why is that?

maybe he doesn't like her music that much

Written By: 80sfan on 02/26/12 at 10:42 am

maybe he doesn't like her music that much

I don't hate her, I'm just not that into her music. I'll admit though some of her 80s stuff are catchy as heck! ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/26/12 at 10:53 am

I don't hate her, I'm just not that into her music. I'll admit though some of her 80s stuff are catchy as heck! ;D

I never used the word hate.... I was just illustrating that there were two possible answers to the question initially posed to you.  ;) 

Written By: 80sfan on 02/26/12 at 10:58 am

I never used the word hate.... I was just illustrating that there were two possible answers to the question initially posed to you.  ;)

Okay! :D

Written By: snozberries on 02/26/12 at 11:33 am

Okay! :D

Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/12 at 12:23 pm

Maybe she didn't sell as well as she did in the 80's.

Check for new replies or respond here...