inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Engelbert Humperdinck is UK Eurovision act for 2012

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/12 at 1:10 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/58820000/jpg/_58820861_58820860.jpg

British crooner Engelbert Humperdinck is to represent the UK at this year's Eurovision Song Contest.

The 75-year-old, dubbed the "King of Romance", is best known for his 1967 hit Release Me, which kept The Beatles' Strawberry Fields Forever off the number one spot.

The singer said it was "an absolute honour" to be taking part and was "excited and raring to go".

This year's competition will be held in Baku, Azerbaijan, on 26 May.

The song Humperdinck will perform has yet to be announced but the BBC said it would be recorded in London, Los Angeles and Nashville.

It will be written by Grammy award-winning producer Martin Terefe and Ivor Novello winner Sacha Skarbek, who co-wrote James Blunt hit You're Beautiful.

Humperdinck - whose real name is Arnold Dorsey - has sold more than 150 million records worldwide during his 45 year career.

Born in Chennai to a British army officer, he took his stage name from a German composer best known for his opera Hansel and Gretel.

He scored a UK number one with The Last Waltz and had other hits including There Goes My Everything and A Man Without Love.

His last UK top 20 single was 40 years ago with Too Beautiful To Last which reached number 14.

The singer has received four Grammy nominations, a Golden Globe for Entertainer of the Year and is one of only a handful of artists with a star on both the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Las Vegas Walk of Fame.

"It's an absolute honour to be representing my country for this year's Eurovision Song Contest," the singer said.

"When the BBC approached me, it just felt right for me to be a part of an institution like Eurovision. I'm excited and raring to go and want the nation to get behind me!"

Humperdinck is the oldest ever Eurovision contestant and if he wins, will be the UK's first victor since Katrina and the Waves 15 years ago.

"Engelbert's age isn't the reason why we chose him to represent the nation for Eurovision, but it's nice to break a few records along the way," a BBC spokeswoman said.

Katie Taylor, BBC head of entertainment and events said: "Not since the 70s have we had such an established international musical legend represent the nation.

"We couldn't be more delighted. Engelbert's experience leaves us in no doubt that he will be able to deliver a standout performance in front of 120 million viewers worldwide."

Subject: Re: Engelbert Humperdinck is UK Eurovision act for 2012

Written By: Henk on 03/02/12 at 2:52 am

I'm speechless.

Written By: Creeder on 03/02/12 at 4:23 am

Eurovision is cheesy as hell, americans are so much better at making pop music it hurts.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/02/12 at 4:38 am

Cool. Englebert is a stud, he gets all the hot chicks he can handle.  :P

Written By: Paul on 03/02/12 at 5:04 am

Could be worse...Ireland's lumbered with Jedward again!

Written By: Henk on 03/02/12 at 5:18 am

Eurovision is cheesy as hell, americans are so much better at making pop music it hurts.

There's a flaw in your logic. "Eurovision is cheesy"...yes, I'll give you that. "Americans are better at making pop music"...debatable, but that's not the point. The point is: Eurovision ≠ pop music (for the most part). So the two are incomparable.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/12 at 6:38 am

He's performed for almost 40 years.  :o

Written By: Henk on 03/02/12 at 6:46 am

Katie Taylor, BBC head of entertainment and events said: "Not since the 70s have we had such an established international musical legend represent the nation.

"We couldn't be more delighted. Engelbert's experience leaves us in no doubt that he will be able to deliver a standout performance in front of 120 million viewers worldwide."

You know... this totally reminds me of our 1994 entry. Standout performance? Yes. Was Europe impressed? Not at all. Four points and a 23rd place.

Written By: karen on 03/02/12 at 10:29 am

I'm speechless.

me too

Written By: karen on 03/02/12 at 10:30 am

:-\\

Written By: karen on 03/02/12 at 10:31 am

You know... this totally reminds me of our 1994 entry. Standout performance? Yes. Was Europe impressed? Not at all. Four points and a 23rd place.

That's what I like about Eurovision, it's so hard to predict what style will appeal each year

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/12 at 12:24 pm

me too
Has your seen who is representing The Republic of Ireland?

Written By: Paul on 03/02/12 at 12:27 pm

He's performed for almost 40 years.  :o

And the rest! He released his first record (as Gerry Dorsey) way back in 1959!

Written By: Henk on 03/02/12 at 1:07 pm

That's what I like about Eurovision, it's so hard to predict what style will appeal each year

I think it might have helped if she had worn a different dress, though. There's nothing wrong with the song or the singer.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/02/12 at 1:28 pm

Not to get too far off topic, but how cool would it be if America had a contest similar to Eurovision, where each state would submit a song and musical act and the winner would be determined by bracket system similar to what they use in a playoff format?

Written By: Paul on 03/02/12 at 3:27 pm

Not to get too far off topic, but how cool would it be if America had a contest similar to Eurovision, where each state would submit a song and musical act and the winner would be determined by bracket system similar to what they use in a playoff format?

Great idea! Then you'd know for sure how many other states absolutely detest you!

(Not that I'm a little bitter in thinking that's how Eurovision operates these days, oh no!  ;))

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/12 at 3:28 pm

Great idea! Then you'd know for sure how many other states absolutely detest you!

(Not that I'm a little bitter in thinking that's how Eurovision operates these days, oh no!  ;))
How many states border Hawaii or Alaska?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/02/12 at 5:06 pm

Oh believe me, we already know which states detest each other, thanks to college sports. :D

Written By: danootaandme on 03/02/12 at 6:24 pm

How many states border Hawaii or Alaska?

None.  Hawaii is an island and Alaska borders Canada, doesn't touch the "lower 48".

Written By: danootaandme on 03/02/12 at 6:28 pm

Super Cheesy, but this is a guilty pleasure.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPRu8V44sIA&feature=related

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/12 at 6:38 pm

I liked Englebert Humperdinck because his name was so fun to say!
8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZO9xeYA8g

The original Humperdinck:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/41462177/Engelbert%2BHumperdinck%2BEngelbert.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/02/12 at 7:12 pm

:-\\

I'm trying to figure what he means too.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/03/12 at 12:06 am

That beats the hell out of three identical reality TV shows all cloning "American Idol".  I'm in.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/12 at 2:00 pm

Engelbert Humperdinck - Love Will Set You Free (United Kingdom) 2012 Eurovision Song Contest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFNv9pjqZkk

As a song I like it, but is it Eurovision material?

Written By: Henk on 06/08/12 at 9:54 am

Engelbert Humperdinck - Love Will Set You Free (United Kingdom) 2012 Eurovision Song Contest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFNv9pjqZkk

As a song I like it, but is it Eurovision material?

I think it is safe to say that Europe didn't like it.

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/12 at 3:42 pm

Europeans do pop music much better than North America does

Check for new replies or respond here...