inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Katy Perry - Biggest artist of the early '10s?

Written By: bchris02 on 03/07/12 at 6:53 pm

I think Katy Perry is hands down the biggest artist of the early '10s and has the potential to be to this decade was Eminem was to the '00s.  Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Katy Perry - Biggest artist of the early '10s?

Written By: Brian06 on 03/07/12 at 6:56 pm

Yeah it seems like it, though Adele is right with her too lately. Adele's album is selling in numbers not seen in nearly a decade (could be the first diamond album in the USA since "Confessions") and her airplay and single sales are also ridiculous. Those are the biggest 2 right now.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/12 at 6:58 pm

I'd say GaGa is the biggest artist with Adele and Katy Perry closely taking up the rear.

I do have to say that Katy, hands down, has the nicest rack.  :P

Written By: Brian06 on 03/07/12 at 7:00 pm

I'd have to agree there.  ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 03/07/12 at 7:10 pm

I'd say GaGa is the biggest artist with Adele and Katy Perry closely taking up the rear.

Gaga?  Her biggest hits were in 2009 (Poker Face, Lovegame, Paparazzi, Bad Romance, and Telephone were all 2009 songs).  Alejandro was still pretty big.  Everything since "Born This Way" hasn't charted near as well and hasn't received near the airplay every one of Katy Perry's songs has.  I think the key is Katy Perry does what she does best and doesn't always try to one-up herself.  She will be much bigger for much longer than Gaga for that reason.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/07/12 at 7:17 pm

Gaga?  Her biggest hits were in 2009 (Poker Face, Lovegame, Paparazzi, Bad Romance, and Telephone were all 2009 songs).  Alejandro was still pretty big.  Everything since "Born This Way" hasn't charted near as well and hasn't received near the airplay every one of Katy Perry's songs has.  I think the key is Katy Perry does what she does best and doesn't always try to one-up herself.  She will be much bigger for much longer than Gaga for that reason.

GaGa's getting too weird for the mainstream, just about all of Born This Way is very weird and pretty off-putting. She's still a big name though and if she tones down the creepiness, she could have more massive hits.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/12 at 7:19 pm

GaGa's getting too weird for the mainstream, just about all of Born This Way is very weird and pretty off-putting. She's still a big name though and if she tones down the creepiness, she could have more massive hits.

I'd still rather Poker Face.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/07/12 at 7:20 pm

Agreed.  I loved her first two albums and I think if she wants to stay mainstream her next album will need to be more like The Fame and The Fame Monster than Born This Way.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/12 at 7:36 pm

I'd have to agree there.  ;D

I also agree as well.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/12 at 7:37 pm

and what's with her weird outfits she wears?

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/08/12 at 2:26 am

Agreed.

Exactly.  No matter who sells more records, Katy Perry's hits are still gonna be more massive.

Oh, wait.  With an "H".  Carry on...

Written By: Creeder on 03/08/12 at 2:38 am

Katy Perry, Rihanna and GaGa are the biggest pop stars of the era, Adele is just weird 60's phenomenon, her hits don't have sound of 2008-2012.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/08/12 at 3:11 am

Katy Perry, Rihanna and GaGa are the biggest pop stars of the era, Adele is just weird 60's phenomenon, her hits don't have sound of 2008-2012.

She may have the sound of a 60s singer, but she's still a singer of 2012. Sorry, you don't have to like her or be interested in her, but it's true.
She's currently one of the biggest singers out there right now. 7 million albums sold is considered a huge hit for an album, especially in 2012!

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/11/12 at 7:06 pm

I think Gaga is like the Britney Spears of this decade. Britney came out with her first hit in 1998 (Baby One More Time) just like Lady Gaga 10 years later in 2008 with Just Dance and it was even in the same month! Then Britney went through 1999 with all her hits and then to the 00s just like Lady Gaga through 2009 and then through the 10s. It seems like Lady Gaga is the most successful artist in the 10s so far and she is still very famous today. But Katy Perry seems to be more like a temporary thing and I don't think she will be remembered that well in the future, same as Rhianna.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/11/12 at 7:09 pm

But I hate Lady Gaga and Katy Perry  8-P. But Adele definitely has the most talent in mainstream music today that's for sure.... :)

Written By: whistledog on 03/11/12 at 9:15 pm

From her 2012 extended edition of her 2010 album 'Teenage Dream', Katy Perry charted 7 hits, 6 of which went #1 in the US.  Is she the biggest artist of the 2010s?  Yes.  Is she the best artist (so far) of 2010?  No.

Written By: rfxgux on 03/14/12 at 11:11 am

Looking at these artists, they are all carried over from the end era of the 2000's.  This wave of pop music should on the way out when something new comes along to replace it.

Written By: Creeder on 03/14/12 at 3:59 pm

Looking at these artists, they are all carried over from the end era of the 2000's.  This wave of pop music should on the way out when something new comes along to replace it.

2000s ended in 2008.
2007 and 2008 have nothing in common, they're like day and night.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/14/12 at 4:04 pm

2000s ended in 2008.
2007 and 2008 have nothing in common, they're like day and night.

How did the 2000's end in 2008?

Also...how did the world drastically change between 2007 and 2008?  That doesn't even make sense. 

Written By: Shiv on 03/14/12 at 4:54 pm

How did the 2000's end in 2008?

Also...how did the world drastically change between 2007 and 2008?  That doesn't even make sense.

There was a bit of a pop culture shift. 2007 still had a lot of gangsta rap and 90sish fashion, 2008 was the beginning of the more hipstery indie and electronic styles.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/14/12 at 6:10 pm

There was a bit of a pop culture shift. 2007 still had a lot of gangsta rap and 90sish fashion, 2008 was the beginning of the more hipstery indie and electronic styles.

How would 2009 stack up against 2007? ???

Written By: guest on 03/14/12 at 6:14 pm

I agree. Music has changed derastically from 2008-2009. I also like saying the 2000s ended in 2008 so it doesn't get put in with the financial crisis. I'll blame it on the 2010s  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/14/12 at 7:40 pm

once they get famous for their music, people listen to it and enjoy their sounds so I think Katy Perry's music will be popular for another few years till she dies out and someone else comes along.

Written By: rafael on 03/14/12 at 10:36 pm

2007 and late 2006 were like a cusp years because had proto 2008 things like
the release of iphone
rise of facebook
hd television
skinny jeans popularity began in late 2006
rihanna umbrella was like a precurssor of electropop
katy perry one of the boys album was recorded from september 2006 to march 2008
in this forum were threads about hipsters back in 2006
http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1141017057.shtml

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/15/12 at 12:34 pm

2007 and late 2006 were like a cusp years because had proto 2008 things like
the release of iphone
rise of facebook
hd television
skinny jeans popularity began in late 2006
rihanna umbrella was like a precurssor of electropop
katy perry one of the boys album was recorded from september 2006 to march 2008
in this forum were threads about hipsters back in 2006
http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1141017057.shtml

As I've mentioned before, mid-2005 to mid-2008 was a transition period between the hip-hop dominant early to mid-2000's and the electropop dominant late 00's/early 10's. From late 2005, I started to notice a fade in the glam rap and a rise in cheesy ringtone rap, as well as emo rock. 2006 and 2007 had a lot of the hip-hop/dance-pop blend with Nelly Furtado, Justin T-lake, and Timbaland. When Lady Gaga's songs hit the charts in late 2008 ("Just Dance" was her first big single) was when it became more obvious that electropop is whats popular. For video games, the current generation of systems started with the Xbox 360 in late 2005, and the PS3 and Wii were released in late 2006. I don't really keep up with fashion trends so I'm not sure when skinny jeans or the hipster look became in style. I do remember threads about hipsters and emo culture (such as the one referenced in the like) dating back to 2005 when I first joined this forum. Politically, I remember the 2005-2008 period as Bush's 2nd term, and the downfall of his presidency ending with the financial crisis.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/15/12 at 12:38 pm

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/reb1130/blah.jpg

You forgot Ke$ha

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/15/12 at 5:25 pm

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/reb1130/blah.jpg

You forgot Ke$ha

I can't wait for Ke$ha'$ next album.  8)

Written By: Creeder on 03/16/12 at 1:00 pm

I can't wait for Ke$ha'$ next album.  8)

Ke$ha is past her peak, she had her moment of fame.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/16/12 at 2:51 pm

For me it's

Katy Perry, Adele, and Rihanna.

In no certain order.

Written By: Howard on 03/16/12 at 7:24 pm

I'm waiting for Katy Perry to pose nude. :D

Written By: Creeder on 03/17/12 at 3:11 am

I'm waiting for Katy Perry to pose nude. :D

I've been dreaming of this since 2008. KATY IF YOUR READING THIS - DO IT PLEASE!

Written By: Howard on 03/17/12 at 6:38 am

I've been dreaming of this since 2008. KATY IF YOUR READING THIS - DO IT PLEASE!

Don't encourage her.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/20/12 at 5:31 am

Even though I've gotten a little burnt out on Katy ("Firework" is so overplayed, no offense to any fans!) I have to agree she's the biggest and will likely be around the longest. She's not as "weird" as GaGa and had five #1 singles from her last CD (something nobody had done since MJ with Bad in '87-88). To me, Adele makes mainly serious music, Gaga's is almost all over the top, and Katy does kinda a mixture of both.

If you think about it, she has alot of variety for the music she does. Electropop rap (California Gurls), 80s influenced pop rock (Last Friday Night, Waking Up in Vegas), ballads (Teenage Dream, Thinking of You), cheesy sexual songs (Peacock). Plus I think it helps that the two songs which broke her (I Kissed A Girl and Hot N Cold) have a little bit of an edge, kinda like something Pink would do. She's a definite step above the average autotune pop singers.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 03/20/12 at 9:15 pm

Even though I've gotten a little burnt out on Katy ("Firework" is so overplayed, no offense to any fans!) I have to agree she's the biggest and will likely be around the longest. She's not as "weird" as GaGa and had five #1 singles from her last CD (something nobody had done since MJ with Bad in '87-88). To me, Adele makes mainly serious music, Gaga's is almost all over the top, and Katy does kinda a mixture of both.

If you think about it, she has alot of variety for the music she does. Electropop rap (California Gurls), 80s influenced pop rock (Last Friday Night, Waking Up in Vegas), ballads (Teenage Dream, Thinking of You), cheesy sexual songs (Peacock). Plus I think it helps that the two songs which broke her (I Kissed A Girl and Hot N Cold) have a little bit of an edge, kinda like something Pink would do. She's a definite step above the average autotune pop singers.

But you know for a fact this Electro dance pop is going to get 2 played out.  Mostly all of Katy Perry's songs are made by Dr Luke who uses the same sounds over and over again. I have a little feeling that by 2015 pop music will be indie spiritualistic. It may not but I have a strong feeling  Dance music is going to be rejected and face a backlash like no other.  I love pop music and would never want us to move in a pre 2006 era ever again . However I can see this trend getting old sooner than you think. Katy Perry is riding a fine line of not  2 over the top and staying in that water down  generic mold  while having catchy hooks .

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/20/12 at 11:58 pm

Even though I've gotten a little burnt out on Katy ("Firework" is so overplayed, no offense to any fans!)

Katy Perry, Firework?  No offense taken :)

/enjoyed the track
//doesn't mean I won't take advantage of the opportunity to scratch another name off the list, several times over.
///while you were gone, I was assimilated and became One With The Herd.  (Long story, it begins here...)

Written By: Brian06 on 03/21/12 at 12:06 am

I used to like her a lot more than I do now, I really liked her in 2008 because she was a relief from the gimmick rap domination. Now that her brand of pop is the generic sound of the day, her music isn't quite as interesting anymore. I'd say "Last Friday Night" is probably the best single off Teenage Dream.

Written By: Creeder on 03/22/12 at 1:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuwfgXD8qV8

Stunning as always.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 03/22/12 at 5:50 pm

I think she's like a mixture of the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/22/12 at 6:35 pm

Plus she has a body that just won't quit.  :P

Written By: Howard on 03/23/12 at 6:35 am

Stunning as always.

She could've at least shaved her head for the video to make her look like a soldier.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/23/12 at 8:07 am

Plus she has a body that just won't quit.  :P

Yeah she's sexy, I'll agree with that.

She could've at least shaved her head for the video to make her look like a soldier.

I'm really liking the song, its one of her more "serious" ones but its catchier than Firework (which is bland and boring to me). I'm surprised it wasn't on the regular CD.

Written By: whistledog on 03/23/12 at 8:05 pm

http://beautyxpose.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/katy-perry-bald-cover.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/24/12 at 6:46 am

http://beautyxpose.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/katy-perry-bald-cover.jpg

;D WTF!

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/24/12 at 8:12 am

Stunning as always.

Great recruiting flick for the US Army.

You know for sure that any number of guys will enlist after watching that video, figuring they can meet hot chicks in basic training.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/12 at 5:19 pm

Katy Perry is at her peak right now, or at least I think so.

I think 2010 to 2014 will be her peak.

Written By: Creeder on 03/24/12 at 5:27 pm

She deserves her success.
She is hot and writes her own songs, which are all catchy pop hits.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/12 at 5:33 pm

She deserves her success.
She is hot and writes her own songs, which are all catchy pop hits.

I bet her next album of hers is going to be HUUGGEE!!  :o

Written By: Howard on 03/24/12 at 7:31 pm

Then she'll start to fade away between 2015-2020.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/12 at 8:15 pm

Then she'll start to fade away between 2015-2020.

Who knows? Maybe she'll be around for a long time, we can only guess eh?  :D

Written By: rufus on 03/24/12 at 8:23 pm

All music pop has a shelf life, her quirky style and gimmick can only last so long.

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 03/24/12 at 10:29 pm

Well, but if you think about it...when Britney Spears first came out, she was popular for many years, then had her breakdown and fell out of the spotlight for awhile but then came back. Either way, she's been around for quite a few years...hopefully Katy can stay around as long (without the breakdown of course haha).

Written By: thenewtattoo on 03/25/12 at 12:11 am

Katy Perry screams ( in a few years this is going to look so outdated)

Think about 2007 then looking at music from 2001 lol

Written By: Howard on 03/25/12 at 7:00 am

Who knows? Maybe she'll be around for a long time, we can only guess eh?  :D

You can only last so long in the music industry.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/12 at 7:02 am

Well, but if you think about it...when Britney Spears first came out, she was popular for many years, then had her breakdown and fell out of the spotlight for awhile but then came back. Either way, she's been around for quite a few years...hopefully Katy can stay around as long (without the breakdown of course haha).

look at Madonna, at 53 years old (god bless her soul) is still making music even at her age, It's unbelieveable!  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/25/12 at 7:24 am

look at Madonna, at 53 years old (god bless her soul) is still making music even at her age, It's unbelieveable!  :o

Yeah but Madonna did all those nude pictorials to 'reinvent' herself. I doubt that Ms. Perry will do that.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/12 at 7:34 am

Yeah but Madonna did all those nude pictorials to 'reinvent' herself. I doubt that Ms. Perry will do that.

At least Katy Perry didn't pose nude in 1979.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/25/12 at 1:17 pm

Yeah, its debatable whether or not Katy will have longevity. Most pop music gets dated after 4 or 5 years. She's a household name now, and she helped usher in the era of electropop/rock/dance music that took off in 2009, so this is still "her era". That'll probably last until circa 2015.

I could see her reinventing herself in a few more years to keep up with the times too. She's already a big enough name that anything she puts out will probably sell pretty well, and like I said earlier up, her sound and influences are actually kinda diverse.

Written By: Rafael on 03/25/12 at 2:01 pm

Yeah, its debatable whether or not Katy will have longevity. Most pop music gets dated after 4 or 5 years. She's a household name now, and she helped usher in the era of electropop/rock/dance music that took off in 2009, so this is still "her era". That'll probably last until circa 2015.

I could see her reinventing herself in a few more years to keep up with the times too. She's already a big enough name that anything she puts out will probably sell pretty well, and like I said earlier up, her sound and influences are actually kinda diverse.

the 1989 pop rap trend(vanilla ice,mc hammer,marky mark)was out in 1992 with the rise of grunge but i think electropop will last more

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/25/12 at 2:22 pm

What about Rihanna? I think Rihianna and Katy Perry are both equally successful if not than Rihanna is more. Rhianna was around for a long time and she changed so many of her styles from Pop, R&B to electro and she is still very popular and successful today. She gets the same airplay Katy gets and I think she seems to be more famous than her. :-\\

Written By: Brian06 on 03/25/12 at 2:24 pm

What about Rihanna? I think Rihianna and Katy Perry are both equally successful if not than Rihanna is more. Rhianna was around for a long time and she changed so many of her styles from Pop, R&B to electro and she is still very popular and successful today. She gets the same airplay Katy gets and I think she seems to be more famous than her. :-\\

Yeah Rihanna is still huge and she does a lot of different styles. Rihanna is actually one of the main driving forces that ended hip-hop domination I believe.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/25/12 at 3:59 pm

Yeah Rihanna is still huge and she does a lot of different styles. Rihanna is actually one of the main driving forces that ended hip-hop domination I believe.

Rihanna can't seem to carry a full song by herself though... most of her stuff in the past few years has been "collabos".  And given how she's related to Chris Brown lately, she does not appear to be all that bright.

Katy tends to 'carry' all of her songs much better, and in the end I think they are a bit more memorable, even the ones I don't like.  Between the two, my money is on Katy but we'll let history play out to see if I am right or wrong on this...  :P

Written By: Rafael on 03/25/12 at 11:31 pm

rihanna peak was 2006-2009 with S.O.S,umbrella,dont stop th music,rihab was the transition from hip hop to electropop

Written By: Emman on 03/31/12 at 11:37 pm

Has anyone else noticed the productions to most of her songs sounds like The Cars a little, only more bubblegum, like a rockier electropop sound.
She seems like she has some of that '80s power pop influences along with rock, eurodance, teen-pop, and urban pop/R&B.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 04/01/12 at 8:13 pm

Yeah, some of her songs do kind of sound like the Cars.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/08/12 at 3:48 pm

Who's bigger: Katy Perry or Britney Spears, circa late 90's/early 2000s?

I think Katy has sold more albums, but Britney seemed like she was everywhere, back then. Everyone knew who she was. Not sure if Katty Perry is on that level yet.

Written By: Rafael on 05/10/12 at 10:30 am

I think Katy has sold more albums, but Britney seemed like she was everywhere, back then. Everyone knew who she was. Not sure if Katty Perry is on that level yet.

britney spears back then ,today lady gaga is most famous than katy perry

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 05/25/12 at 3:44 pm

Nobody will ever top how big Britney was back in the early 2000s for a while. She was HUGE! Nobody still beat her from her peek yet, Not even Lady Gaga. It is safe to say that she is the most famous pop artist to date ever since Madonna.  :P Katy Perry is just a current fad. Everyone know's who Britney Spears is back then, and today.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/28/12 at 7:54 am

Although, Katy Perry isn't brilliant, I actually think she is more talented than Britney Spears.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 05/28/12 at 11:23 pm

Although, Katy Perry isn't brilliant, I actually think she is more talented than Britney Spears.

I agree. Though they both kind of lack talent.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...