inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Omar Sharif Comes Out As a Gay Man

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/19/12 at 7:29 pm

Wow, I can't say that I ever saw this coming.    :o

Subject: Re: Omar Sharif Comes Out As a Gay Man

Written By: Dagwood on 03/19/12 at 9:18 pm

That headline is a little misleading.  It's Omar Jr, not just Omar.  I never knew there was a Jr, so it didn't surprise me either way.

Written By: gibbo on 03/19/12 at 11:30 pm

That headline is a little misleading.  It's Omar Jr, not just Omar.  I never knew there was a Jr, so it didn't surprise me either way.

Yes, Omar Shariff coming out would have definitely surprised. Not so much JR...

Written By: Howard on 03/20/12 at 6:50 am

Gay must be the new fad.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/20/12 at 6:58 am

Yes, Omar Shariff coming out would have definitely surprised. Not so much JR...

Not really, I wouldn't have been surprised.  Not much in this line has surprised me since Rock Hudson.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/12 at 11:57 am

Gay must be the new fad.

Gay is not a fad. 

Written By: gibbo on 03/20/12 at 5:45 pm

Not really, I wouldn't have been surprised.  Not much in this line has surprised me since Rock Hudson.

Very good point...    at least that one explained so much that didn't happen to Doris day!  ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/20/12 at 6:45 pm

Gay must be the new fad.

Gay is the new straight.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/20/12 at 7:17 pm

Gay is not a fad.

It's a lifestyle.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/21/12 at 10:35 am

It's a lifestyle.

NO Howard, gay is not a life style, it is an orientation one is born with, just like I was born straight.  Given all the hassles, who would choose to be gay?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/21/12 at 2:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHG2LJGfEdw

Written By: Howard on 03/21/12 at 7:14 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHG2LJGfEdw

This song sounds like it was from the mid 70's.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/21/12 at 7:25 pm

NO Howard, gay is not a life style, it is an orientation one is born with, just like I was born straight.  Given all the hassles, who would choose to be gay?

I always thought that gayness was often referred to euphemistically as an 'alternative lifestyle'....  ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/23/12 at 8:37 pm

I always thought that gayness was often referred to euphemistically as an 'alternative lifestyle'....  ???

So?  My grandmother sometimes says "colored people" (as if pink's not a color), my parents sometimes say "oriental" instead of "asian", and 30 years from now, people are going to point and laugh at us because we still use the word "pet" instead of "companion animal". 

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/23/12 at 8:50 pm

So?  My grandmother sometimes says "colored people" (as if pink's not a color), my parents sometimes say "oriental" instead of "asian", and 30 years from now, people are going to point and laugh at us because we still use the word "pet" instead of "companion animal".

I was raised to use the term "colored" as a term of respect. 

Written By: Howard on 03/24/12 at 6:45 am

I wouldn't want to say the word "colored" in front of someone that would be some kind of insult.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/24/12 at 7:59 am

I wouldn't want to say the word "colored" in front of someone that would be some kind of insult.

Well the NAACP hasn't changed its name yet...  :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 03/25/12 at 9:24 pm

It's a lifestyle.

Howard, you make me LOL all the time, intentionally or not! ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/26/12 at 7:15 am

Well the NAACP hasn't changed its name yet...  :-\\

neither did The GLAAD.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/27/12 at 11:00 pm

I'll give you that one. 

We're all products of our times and our upbringings.  Upbringings can vary as a function of age (my grandmother who had to work at "colored", my parents who grew up with it, and my generation who grew up with "black", which, in the age of hypenated-Americanism, was for a brief time almost as antiquated, except for the fact that 2004 gave the world Teresa Heinz-Kerry (a pink-skinned American citizen who happened to be born in Africa) was more African-American than Nelson Mandela (A brown-skinned dude from Africa who really got shafted by the government of his native South Africa, but ended up making good, despite never having been an American :)

As a culture, a lot of our silliest debates are "I said X, but meant Y", for various values of X and Y.  When we're only words on a screen, and we know nothing of how old each other is, nor where we came from, it's important to clear things up before they get silly. 

Speaking of which (read: taking another swig of beer), it's on to the Zimmerman thread, and the question of whether "coonass" is a racial slur!  (SPOILER: It's not.  It means "Cajun redneck, typically white, often used as a mark of regional pride".  In text form, not putting a space between "Coon" and "ass" is important.)

Check for new replies or respond here...