inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s music that adults/old school people enjoy?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/22/12 at 9:27 am

Chances are, whenever people (including me) talk about how "modern music sucks", they're thinking of the autotuned pop/rap garbage aimed at tween girls, like Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj & of course the Biebs.  ;D

But if you look past that, there's alot of good stuff too. Speaking as a 30 year old, 80s loving, old school but still youthful guy, I love alot of the Indie or new wave type bands such as Foster The People, M83, Owl City and Kings Of Leon. I also love Gotye and think he'll be a big crossover artist.

Maroon 5 are like dance rock with a good retro/modern blend. I've noticed alot of older people like them too.

Katy, although kinda overexposed now, is a step above autotune pop singers and usually makes catchy upbeat music with a decent variety.

Bruno Mars is actually pretty diverse.. he's like R&B with some synthpop and reggae influence. He's more ballad oriented too, which is kinda rare.

Even though I'm not a country fan, Taylor Swift is good just 'cause she makes lighthearted, pop rocky type songs which are cute and cleancut (something also really rare now).

Subject: Re: 2010s music that adults/old school people enjoy?

Written By: Brian06 on 03/22/12 at 9:58 am

As an adult I like some of today's electropop stars like Katy Perry or to an extent Rihanna. As you get older you are more critical and you know how to rate music better, like you might like some Rihanna songs as a catchy guilty pleasure but you realize this isn't classic or great music by any means. Someone like Adele certainly is enjoy by people my age and older and even teens and kids, so she has a wide fan base. Rock groups all the stuff you mentioned is enjoyed by people of all ages. Foster the People is really one of the better bands today. It's interesting that even though I'm almost 25 now I prefer today's music by a bit over the music of my late teens and early 20s generally (later 00s). Mainly because by then hip-hop had completely jumped the shark and I was tired of it, also I hated emo generally. I'd rather listen to Katy Perry over My Chemical Romance or Soulja Boy. The main problem today is there's too much of the same electropop (still better than snap rap but still too generic), but maybe some more variety is starting to seep in...hopefully.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/22/12 at 12:41 pm

I like all kinds of music, from every time period.  Why pigeonhole yourself?  I like today's music, I like 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's, all the way back to Mozart and Pachibel.  It really isn't weird to love music from every time period.  I think most people probably do. 

Written By: Howard on 03/22/12 at 1:15 pm

My father likes Adele and Bruno Mars but as for me I do like some of today's music just not crazy about it.

Written By: Creeder on 03/22/12 at 1:48 pm

Almost all of rock is for 20+ listeners and thats my favorite genre.
I also enjoy some hip-hop (Eminem) and the ocasional pop music (Katy Perry is a guilty pleasure of mine).
I don't listen to dubstep which is the choice of music for the late teen/hipster/college boys.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/22/12 at 2:01 pm

As an adult I like some of today's electropop stars like Katy Perry or to an extent Rihanna. As you get older you are more critical and you know how to rate music better, like you might like some Rihanna songs as a catchy guilty pleasure but you realize this isn't classic or great music by any means. Someone like Adele certainly is enjoy by people my age and older and even teens and kids, so she has a wide fan base. Rock groups all the stuff you mentioned is enjoyed by people of all ages. Foster the People is really one of the better bands today. It's interesting that even though I'm almost 25 now I prefer today's music by a bit over the music of my late teens and early 20s generally (later 00s). Mainly because by then hip-hop had completely jumped the shark and I was tired of it, also I hated emo generally. I'd rather listen to Katy Perry over My Chemical Romance or Soulja Boy. The main problem today is there's too much of the same electropop (still better than snap rap but still too generic), but maybe some more variety is starting to seep in...hopefully.

Yeah I agree with all that. :) Gaga is like a guilty pleasure to me, even if I know there's way better music. I probably started getting more critical of music circa 1998.

My father likes Adele and Bruno Mars but as for me I do like some of today's music just not crazy about it.

D'oh! I can't believe I forgot Adele! She's very soulful and retro (with a modern touch for hipness of course), and I think that's why she's so successful. "Set Fire To The Rain" is the only one I love, but I praise her for being unique and different.

I like all kinds of music, from every time period.  Why pigeonhole yourself?  I like today's music, I like 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's, all the way back to Mozart and Pachibel.  It really isn't weird to love music from every time period.  I think most people probably do. 

So do I, I think its great when people expand their horizons (not just musically but with anything). Thanks to my older dad, I like music as far back as the 50s and feel like its part of my heritage in a way too. What's hilarious is that I like some doo wop that even my mom isn't into since its vaguely before her time.  ;D

Almost all of rock is for 20+ listeners and thats my favorite genre.
I also enjoy some hip-hop (Eminem) and the ocasional pop music (Katy Perry is a guilty pleasure of mine).
I don't listen to dubstep which is the choice of music for the late teen/hipster/college boys.

Yeah, rock in general seems way more timeless and (somewhat) more appealing to guys. Of course lots of women like it too, but I think the only ones who would like Bieber would be girls on the other hand! I feel the same about Katy & GaGa, its more catchy guilty pleasure music.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/22/12 at 8:26 pm

Me too, I always say there's nothing wrong with liking modern pop (I like quite a bit) but it is important to appreciate the classics as well. On the other hand the people that like to brand everybody that likes some modern pop as some kind of "idiots" get under my skin just because you enjoy some Katy, Rihanna, GaGa, etc. does not make you a musical idiot. I do think all eras offer something for the listener. I know not everybody is like this but I get bored listen to the same/similar genres too much, so I'll get into pop moods, metal moods, r&b moods, etc.

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/22/12 at 8:49 pm

My dad, who's a musician in a Church Band (he plays guitar), like The White Stripes and The Black Keys.

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/12 at 9:42 pm

Today's music can be hit or miss with anyone; It all depends on the artist and the song.  If you only listen to what's on the radio, then you are not getting the whole picture.  Expand your musical horizon.

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/22/12 at 9:51 pm

as for me I do like some of today's music just not crazy about it.

Same here, I listen to Profm (today's hit music) sometimes, actually a little more often only because I want to hear what music is current and keep myself up to date with everything that is new in music. So I'm old school but I am also current and I know everything about todays' music as well, even if I don't like what I hear.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/22/12 at 11:56 pm

I think music has gotten better since the 00s, by 2011 I noticed a difference.

Look at the songs I like right now:

"We Are Young", fun. Featuring Janelle Monae
"Stronger", Kelly Clarkson
"Glad You Came," The Wanted
"Set Fire To The Rain," Adele
"Somebody That I Used To Know", Gotye Featuring Kimbra
"Part of Me", Katy Perry
"Drive By", Train
"Young Wild Free", Snoop Dog and Wiz Khalifa Featuring Bruno Mars
"Domino", Jessie J

Written By: Brian06 on 03/23/12 at 12:02 am

"Part of Me", Katy Perry
"Drive By", Train
"Domino", Jessie J

Good choices 80sfan, I like most of those too.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/12 at 12:23 am

Good choices 80sfan, I like most of those too.

THanks!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/12 at 4:18 am

Jason Mraz is well like here in the UK, also Katie Melua has a new album out soon.

Written By: Howard on 03/23/12 at 6:32 am

Same here, I listen to Profm (today's hit music) sometimes, actually a little more often only because I want to hear what music is current and keep myself up to date with everything that is new in music. So I'm old school but I am also current and I know everything about todays' music as well, even if I don't like what I hear.

Once in a while I may listen to today's music but I'm more of a jamminoldies fan.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/23/12 at 7:59 am

I definitely got stuck back in the 80s... so I've been trying to rectify that lately by listening to some rock compilations of the 2000s.  I'm just about through the latest set which are from usenet called What's New!!! and The Next Big Thing??? in ROCK MUSIC...  I haven't added many songs to my favorites folder, but so far these are the groups I've liked from the last few years

Adele
Carolina Liar
M83
The Black Keys
Fitz and the Tantrums
Foster The People
Franz Ferdinand
Black Kids
Cage the Elephant

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/23/12 at 8:03 am

"Part of Me", Katy Perry
"Drive By", Train
"Domino", Jessie J

Yeah, I like almost all of those too. Actually, aside from the tween pop (which isn't even on the radio that much anyway), 2011/12 music is pretty good and more melodic. I think indie pop like We Are Young and Somebody I Used To Know will be a more dominant sound.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/23/12 at 11:58 am

"Part of Me", Katy Perry
"Drive By", Train
"Domino", Jessie J

I like all kinds of music but since I have a tween daughter I listen to lost of Top 40.

I really like "We are Young", "Drive By" and "Glad You Came".  Another one I really like is "Beekeeper's Daughter" by All-American Rejects.

And then the radio station will overplay 'em and I will get sick of them.  ;D

Written By: Inertia on 03/23/12 at 2:40 pm

I like Adele and Maroon 5. I also like that Sexy and I Know It song by LMFAO. There's a few other gems I like too.

However, I prefer classic rock, jazz, and some big band to most of what plays today. David Bowie easily remains my favorite artist.

My mom really likes Jessie J and she's in her 50's.

Written By: whistledog on 03/23/12 at 7:59 pm

Much of today's music is repetitive, or not so good, but it all depends on what you enjoy hearing.  As a mid-30s adult, I have been able to find a few good ones, however in order to do that, I had to look not only what's in the mainstream but what's beyond the mainstream ...

"Jumpstart" - These Kids Wear Crowns
"Burning" - Mia Martina
"Feels So Close" - Calvin Harris
"Big in Japan" - Martin Solveig featuring Dragonette and Idoling!
"Turn This Club Around" - R.I.O. featuring U-Jean
"All My People" - Sasha Lopez and Broono
"Want U Back" - Cher Lloyd featuring Astro
"Get Back (ASAP)" - Alexandra Stan
"Where Them Girls At" - David Guetta featuring Flo Rida and Nicki Minaj
"Changed the Way You Kissed Me" - Example
"Wet" - Nicole Scherzinger
"Collide" - Leona Lewis featuring Avicii
"C'mon (Catch 'Em by Surprise)" - Tiesto vs Diplo featuring Busta Rhymes
"We Run the Night" - Havana Brown featuring Pitbull
"Loca People (What the F*ck)" - Sak Noel

AUS = Australia | CAN = Canada | US = United States | UK = United Kingdom

If you only listen to what's on the radio, then you're not getting the complete picture

Written By: bchris02 on 03/24/12 at 12:35 am

I've always wondered at what age people stop liking current hits.  I loved the music of the 2000s, from boy bands to snap rap to Lady Gaga.  I just can't get into Katy Perry and Jesse J however and their style of music, which completely dominates the airwaves.  Thats probably how the previous generation felt about the music I liked.  The one exception is Adele.  I really like her.  Other than that, if I listen to current music it is mostly urban music.  There is a lot of good hip-hop out right now its just no longer Top 40 like it was a few years ago.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/24/12 at 1:24 am

I've always wondered at what age people stop liking current hits.

Was around my mid-20s.  Thing that killed it for me was having a day job that wasn't just a day job, but a career.  After switching from the comparatively idle schedule of college to 8 hours a day plus commuting to/from work, I had nothing left at the end of the day but to turn off the brain with old familiar mixtapes, and no dorm full of friends to drag me out to parties where current music was being played.

I skipped grunge and spiraled down the techno thing.  People 10-20 years older than me skipped rock and wound up in disco (or skipped disco and wound up in metal), people 10-20 years younger skipped glam rap and wound up in electro, or skipped electro and wound up in rap/crunk.  Today, people are making up their minds whether or not dubstep is music.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Written By: Howard on 03/24/12 at 6:43 am

I've always wondered at what age people stop liking current hits.  I loved the music of the 2000s, from boy bands to snap rap to Lady Gaga.  I just can't get into Katy Perry and Jesse J however and their style of music, which completely dominates the airwaves.  Thats probably how the previous generation felt about the music I liked.  The one exception is Adele.  I really like her.  Other than that, if I listen to current music it is mostly urban music.  There is a lot of good hip-hop out right now its just no longer Top 40 like it was a few years ago.

I do like some current hits once in a while just not crazy about it, When I grew up I always listened to WCBS-FM which played a lot of doowop 70's and 80's music and that's what type I listened to.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/24/12 at 9:31 am

Well, it depends on the person of course... but I don't think people stop liking music at a certain time, we just get selective about it. :)

For me it was about 17 in 1999. That might sound crazy, but I started listening to music when I was about 3. I was around it my whole life, so despite still being a HS kid, I was already attached to what I grew up with and didn't adapt as well when styles changed.

The last time I was into LOTS of current songs is when I was 13 in 1994-95. The next few years had enough classics that I still dug it, but I was even then beginning to not follow it as much. In '99 I feel like it took a sharp turn towards alot of music that wasn't my cup of tea... tweenpop like early Britney & Ricky Martin, or rappers like Eminem and Limp Bizkit.

On the flip side though, I prefer today's music to the music of my teens/early twenties, because its a bit catchier, more electropop and influenced by the 80s (what I was raised on).

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/03/12 at 9:21 am

In '99 I feel like it took a sharp turn towards alot of music that wasn't my cup of tea... tweenpop like early Britney & Ricky Martin, or rappers like Eminem and Limp Bizkit.

On the flip side though, I prefer today's music to the music of my teens/early twenties, because its a bit catchier, more electropop and influenced by the 80s (what I was raised on).

haha we're quite the opposite, I don't really listen to music until 2008 (I'm a late music bloomer I was 14) which is the beginining of the electro pop and when the scene/emo music faded away... But it's also the beginning of my appreciation of classics aas I rediscover the songs I incidentally listen on the radio/watched on MTV as a young kid, as early as 3-4 years old in the late 1990s :p

I Love anything of late 1990s - early 00s except the super saturated or cheesy boyband/girlband like westlife or spice girls (no offence). IMO the best cultural period so far on our history. However i appreciate some of today's music despite the saturation of electronic influence to almost every genre is making me sick of music in general i do enjoy some pretty catchy stuff but only with their own distinct flavour kind of songs. I don't like today's kelly clarkson, bruno mars, or pop artists in general for today

I'm ok with LMFAO, i enjoy it but don't listen to them

these includes

Rihanna - Who's that chick, what's my name (ft drake), only girl(in the world)
Maroon 5 - Moves like Jagger (this one grows on me)
Eminem - not afraid, space bound
Britney Spears - I wanna go
Katy Perry - Last friday night (love the saxophone), teenage dream
Willow smith - whip my hair
Kesha - Blow, Your love is my drug, tik tok, we r who we r
BLINK 182!!
OWL CITY
Lady Gaga - monster, dance in the dark, edge of glory (love the saxophone)
Gym Class heroes ft adam levine - my heart stereo (this one grows on me)
Gorillaz
Coldplay - up in flames, paradise, up with the birds
Adele - set fire to the rain (this one grows on me)

the rest of my itunes are either (mostly early - mid) 00s, (big bulk of) 90s, 80s, 70s, and 60s.... I love classics... but not the 1950s :p

Written By: karen on 04/04/12 at 8:51 am

Well I'm in my 40s and it hasn't happened yet

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/04/12 at 10:27 am

Am I the only person who wonders about the term "Old School?" I have been seeing that a lot lately around the board. "Old School People this" "Old School People that." I'm really not too sure what exactly means and I wonder if I should take offense to it. I am not the oldest person on this board (I think I am married to him) but I am in the oldest group (the Baby Boomers). As for what music one likes has absolutely nothing to do with age. It has to do with taste.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/04/12 at 10:47 am

Am I the only person who wonders about the term "Old School?" I have been seeing that a lot lately around the board. "Old School People this" "Old School People that." I'm really not too sure what exactly means and I wonder if I should take offense to it. I am not the oldest person on this board (I think I am married to him) but I am in the oldest group (the Baby Boomers). As for what music one likes has absolutely nothing to do with age. It has to do with taste.

It's from a Run-DMC song back around 1985, they used it as a put down to other rappers as not being "current"

In context however I mostly see it used as a synonym for retro or "classic"

right around when I got out of college in 1995.  The end of grunge basically.  It's not a hard "I like nothing current," it's more like a huge drop in the number of songs that I do like.  The last ten years are especially light on stuff I care for, even by groups I liked in the 90s. 

Part of the decline is due to less free time to listen to new music, but more of it is due to the changing trends.  Hip hop became huge in the 90s and I dislike all of it from about 1993 onwards. Dance music became VERY repetitious, rock acts copied each other too often, etc. 

I'm trying though, I've got a couple sets of rock from the 2000s and I've been listening to a few dozen tracks each day to see if I can find stuff I like in it.  I'm averaging maybe one song per 100 new songs listened to and that's in a genre I know I like. 

Written By: Howard on 04/04/12 at 7:36 pm

Well I'm in my 40s and it hasn't happened yet

There is no age when they should stop listening to current hits.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/06/12 at 10:18 pm

Take no offense.  Chucky covered it. 

The first time I encoutnered the term was in Nervous Norvus and his 1956 novelty record Ape Call, in which he sang "A pterodactyl was a flyin' fool / just a breeze-flappin' daddy of the old school", and if you look at the comparable line in every other verse, it was a compliment to the sort-of-a-stork-lookin' bat with sharp teeth that cruised around lookin' for...

Where was I?

Oh yeah.  Back before I became old-school, "old school" meant "hip-hop that preceded gangsta rap", and it was also used as a term of respect.

...so the meaning hasn't changed a bit, has it, cats?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/12 at 11:47 pm

I'm so-called "Adult" and so-called "Old School," and here are three new songs I love:

ARCADE FIRE: READY TO START
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oI27uSzxNQ

BLACK DICE: PIGS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebLYgVPDORM

COLD CAVE: CONFETTI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=686K_X9C5qU

8) 8) 8)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/13/12 at 12:05 pm

"Part of Me", Katy Perry
"Drive By", Train
"Domino", Jessie J

All good songs.  The other night, my friend and I were singing "We are Young" at the top of our lungs on our way out for the evening. 

Check for new replies or respond here...