inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Yes, '90s fashion is INDEED making a comeback!

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/24/12 at 5:58 am

Exhibit A:

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx256/Mathew_2010/catherine.jpg

The braids and the denim jacket just scream "'90s!" don't they?

*By the way, this is a friend of mine from high school. I didn't actually take this picture of her, I stole it off her Facebook page.  :P*

And it's not just her who's sporting this image. Lately, I've noticed a lot of black women at my college getting those "dookie braids," a popular hairstyle for black women in the '90s, and denim jackets - including sleeveless ones - are being worn more frequently. I think this indicates a comeback of '90s (early to mid '90s, that is) fashion.

Subject: Re: Yes, '90s fashion is INDEED making a comeback!

Written By: thenewtattoo on 03/25/12 at 12:06 am

Exhibit A:

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx256/Mathew_2010/catherine.jpg

The braids and the denim jacket just scream "'90s!" don't they?

*By the way, this is a friend of mine from high school. I didn't actually take this picture of her, I stole it off her Facebook page.  :P*

And it's not just her who's sporting this image. Lately, I've noticed a lot of black women at my college getting those "dookie braids," a popular hairstyle for black women in the '90s, and denim jackets - including sleeveless ones - are being worn more frequently. I think this indicates a comeback of '90s (early to mid '90s, that is) fashion.

This guy already beat her 2 it 2 years ago lol

http://platform.ak.fbcdn.net/www/app_full_proxy.php?app=4949752878&v=1&size=o&cksum=a23b20d216dcf3531b50c356c34841d1&src=http%3A%2F%2Fi827.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz200%2Fjustincasepeeps%2F90s90splayer.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/270197_10150362168981258_71252881257_10138861_4006489_a.jpg

But as soon  as the 2010s step in more  the more 90s comebacks will set in.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/25/12 at 12:33 pm

Call me when '50s or '70s fashion makes a comeback.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/12 at 12:36 pm

What does 90's fashion consist of?  ???

Written By: Howard on 03/25/12 at 12:36 pm

Call me when '50s or '70s fashion makes a comeback.

;D

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/25/12 at 2:23 pm

;D

Whaaat? "90s fashion" to me is basically the same fashion as today. At least where I live, denim never really went out. I wore a T-Shirt and Jeans as a kid in the '90s. I wear Jeans and a T-Shirt now. The only differences really are the neon clothing of the early early 90s and stuff like shoulder pads, but that isn't coming back it seems--More like just...generic mid 90s fashion. Which is pretty much the same as today's. If a fashion decade is to come back, let it be at least an interesting/good decade. The Rockabilly fashions of the 50s and the Hats and the 70s Fashions are a lot more interesting and exotic than the 90s. And I find the early 90s to be one of the most banal eras in fashion ever. Seriously. Some of the early 90s stuff made the 70s look normal.

Written By: Emman on 03/25/12 at 4:34 pm

Whaaat? "90s fashion" to me is basically the same fashion as today. At least where I live, denim never really went out. I wore a T-Shirt and Jeans as a kid in the '90s. I wear Jeans and a T-Shirt now. The only differences really are the neon clothing of the early early 90s and stuff like shoulder pads, but that isn't coming back it seems--More like just...generic mid 90s fashion. Which is pretty much the same as today's. If a fashion decade is to come back, let it be at least an interesting/good decade. The Rockabilly fashions of the 50s and the Hats and the 70s Fashions are a lot more interesting and exotic than the 90s. And I find the early 90s to be one of the most banal eras in fashion ever. Seriously. Some of the early 90s stuff made the 70s look normal.

The '90s fashion was a bit different, the fit of clothes has been getting tighter since the late '00s, clothing patterns are different(graphic tees, color blocking, ect.), different men's hairstyles. Women's fashion has changed more than men's fashion though, it's been t-shirt and jeans ALOT longer than since the '90s, more like since the '50s at least. The hipster subculture seems to be what represents the late '00s/early '10s zeitgeist(tight pants, scraves, big glasses, waistcoats, v neck shirts, ect.).

Kurt Andersen has said something similar about the stylistic similarities between 1992 and 2012(I don't really agree with him though).

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/25/12 at 4:50 pm

The '90s fashion is a bit different, the fit of clothes has been getting tighter since the late '00s, clothing patterns are different(graphic tees, color blocking, ect.), different men's hairstyles. Women's fashion has changed more than men's fashion, it's been t-shirt and jeans ALOT longer than since the '90s, more like since the '50s at least. The hipster subculture seems to be what represents the late '00s/early '10s zeitgeist(tight pants, scraves, big glasses, waistcoats, v neck shirts, ect.).

Well I'm speaking from a guy's perspective. Also in the 80s and 90s you had graphic Ts. What's color blocking? As far as different men's hairstyles, outside of the mullet and that stupid 90s teen haircut...How has men's hairstyles really changed? Also, jeans and T-shirt were more of a youth thing until the '80s. It's only since the 80s/90s that you'll see an older person wearing jeans and a T-Shirt. In the '50s, only the Rock N' Roll kids and some hip Italian guys and whatnot wore T-Shirts and Jeans...T-Shirts up to the 60s were generally considered part of your underwear. I'm sure you had a grandpa, or at least knew an older person, who wore a button down shirt, with a white T-Shirt underneath. And Jeans didn't really become mainstream until the late '60s outside of the Rock and Western subcultures. Even then, a guy in his 40s or 50s in the 60s/70s would probably not be wearing Jeans...They didn't become mainstream men's wear for all ages until the 80s or 90s.

As to the Hipster fashion, it's funny...I wore a lot of that stuff before the Hipsters. I was wearing "skinny jeans" back in 2006/2007, big eyeglasses--I've had a pair of rayban 50s style eyeglasses since last year, I was wearing white V Neck t-shirts back as early as '07, plaid shorts in the summer...A lot of what the hipsters like seems to align with what I like, because I'm into retro fashion. And it seems they are. But I've never been into scarves.

Written By: Emman on 03/25/12 at 5:11 pm

Well I'm speaking from a guy's perspective. Also in the 80s and 90s you had graphic Ts. What's color blocking? As far as different men's hairstyles, outside of the mullet and that stupid 90s teen haircut...How has men's hairstyles really changed? Also, jeans and T-shirt were more of a youth thing until the '80s. It's only since the 80s/90s that you'll see an older person wearing jeans and a T-Shirt. In the '50s, only the Rock N' Roll kids and some hip Italian guys and whatnot wore T-Shirts and Jeans...T-Shirts up to the 60s were generally considered part of your underwear. I'm sure you had a grandpa, or at least knew an older person, who wore a button down shirt, with a white T-Shirt underneath. And Jeans didn't really become mainstream until the late '60s outside of the Rock and Western subcultures. Even then, a guy in his 40s or 50s in the 60s/70s would probably not be wearing Jeans...They didn't become mainstream men's wear for all ages until the 80s or 90s.

As to the Hipster fashion, it's funny...I wore a lot of that stuff before the Hipsters. I was wearing "skinny jeans" back in 2006/2007, big eyeglasses--I've had a pair of rayban 50s style eyeglasses since last year, I was wearing white V Neck t-shirts back as early as '07, plaid shorts in the summer...A lot of what the hipsters like seems to align with what I like, because I'm into retro fashion. And it seems they are. But I've never been into scarves.

By that stupid '90s teen cut you mean the curtained hair(parted in the middle), I think it's changed with teenage boy's hairstyles mostly, in the late '90s/early '00s spiked frosted tips and gelled hair were pretty popular for young guys, around the mid '00s the flipped, emo-ish hairstyle and faux hawks was a trend, I think alot of guys are starting to wear their hair shorter again though. Women though still have been mostly been wearing long straight hair since the late '90s, I guess the '00s have the poof and side swept bangs for women. You are right about older people adopting more casual fashion since the '80s, I think that is largely because of the Baby Boomers getting older.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/25/12 at 5:47 pm

By that stupid '90s teen cut you mean the curtained hair(parted in the middle), I think it's changed with teenage boy's hairstyles mostly, in the late '90s/early '00s spiked frosted tips and gelled hair were pretty popular for young guys, around the mid '00s the flipped, emo-ish hairstyle and faux hawks was a trend, I think alot of guys are starting to wear their hair shorter again though. Women though still have been mostly been wearing long straight hair since the late '90s, I guess the '00s have the poof and side swept bangs for women. You are right about older people adopting more casual fashion since the '80s, I think that is largely because of the Baby Boomers getting older.

Yeah that stupid Edward Furlong look.
I agree hair has been getting shorter the past few years--I have been seeing fewer and fewer guys with long hair lately. I think right now outside of those who have had it for a while or are rockers, long hairis generally out. Myself, I wear a style which is long on the top but slicked back, with the sides sometimes grown long and slicked back--Very 50s/60s. Sort of the Lyndon Johnson haircut. But I'm into vintage trends and fashion anyway.

Written By: Rafael on 03/25/12 at 11:22 pm

i think its too early for a 1990s revival in fashion because the 90ness influence lasted to 2005 early 2006(the new nineties topic was very popular then)

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 03/26/12 at 6:37 pm

The wavy curls type hair on women has been huge in hollywood since about 2006/2007.

Check for new replies or respond here...