inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Summer Hits 2012 Predictions?

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/25/12 at 4:56 pm

How do you predict popular music will look like in the summer of 2012? Do you think the musical style will alter a bit from last year and we will already start seeing electro pop fade? Or do you think we will still have the same feel for a while? Last summer was full of hits from artist's like LMFAO, Bruno Mars, Rihanna and Katy Perry. I'm curious to know what this summer will look like and if we will have some of the same artsits or different ones with a different sound. Which artists do you think will be successful and release good hits this summer? What do you think mainstream music will sound like this summer?

Subject: Re: Summer Hits 2012 Predictions?

Written By: Brian06 on 03/25/12 at 5:02 pm

Well boy bands are coming back and indie pop is doing well. Right now we have fun., Gotye, The Wanted, One Direction, Katy Perry, Adele, Calvin Harris, Nicki Minaj, Carly Rae Jepsen, Rihanna, so a mix of some new artists and the typical mainstays of the last few years. It looks like electropop is kinda evolving into a new wave of teen pop. I'm definitely seeing some changes right now this year, it's going to be an interesting year I think.

Written By: whistledog on 03/25/12 at 5:19 pm

2012 will be a big comeback year for Nelly Furtado.  Her latest song 'Is Anybody Out There?' is a duet with K'Naan and is already in the Canadian Top 20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nevOsRGqL2c

I don't think Calvin Harris will catch on in North America much further.  'We Found Love' was because of Rihanna and 'Feels So Close' was because of American Idol, but he's been around since 2008 and is just getting recognized now?  Where were we on his first 2 albums

Written By: Emman on 03/25/12 at 5:27 pm

2012 will be a big comeback year for Nelly Furtado.  Her latest song 'Is Anybody Out There?' is a duet with K'Naan and is already in the Canadian Top 20

I don't think Calvin Harris will catch on in North America much further.  'We Found Love' was because of Rihanna and 'Feels So Close' was because of American Idol, but he's been around since 2008 and is just getting recognized now?  Where were we on his first 2 albums

Calvin Harris might be catching on to the commercial peaking of dance music in the US, electronic dance music has become a lot more popular in the US since '08.

Written By: Creeder on 03/26/12 at 1:51 am

This song is really good.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/12 at 7:06 am

I think artists like Rhianna, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga will continue to make music.

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/12 at 6:30 pm

Calvin Harris might be catching on to the commercial peaking of dance music in the US, electronic dance music has become a lot more popular in the US since '08.

'Feels So Close' is the 2nd Hot 100 appearance for Calvin Harris in Canada/US, but it is the 12th hit for him in the UK.  I am hoping North America will do for Calvin Harris what we did for David Guetta. 

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/26/12 at 8:10 pm

Has anyone heard Hilary Duff is coming back to the spotlight? I heard that she will be back this year so that should be interesting.  8)

Written By: Howard on 03/27/12 at 6:48 am

Has anyone heard Hilary Duff is coming back to the spotlight? I heard that she will be back this year so that should be interesting.  8)

How's her music career?

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/28/12 at 12:50 am

How's her music career?

She was very successful back in the early 00s. She is like the Selena Gomez of today. I grew up with her music as a child and she was very popular in Lizzie McGuire and it brings back many memories. I think she focused more on acting later on and she was in a few movies. But now she claims she's coming back in the music spotlight, I wonder what her sound will be like and what kind of music she will make.

I don't think we will hear from Lady Gaga until next year in 2013. Katy Perry will probably bring out a few more songs though.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/01/12 at 7:19 pm

Katy Perry is still going very strong, and is currently probably the biggest artist on the radio.  I think female-oriented teen pop will dominate once again this summer. 

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/02/12 at 2:17 am

I think Usher's new album might be a huge hit.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/12 at 6:39 am

Katy Perry is still going very strong, and is currently probably the biggest artist on the radio.  I think female-oriented teen pop will dominate once again this summer.

It dominated for a while in the 80's.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/29/12 at 12:54 am

Well seeing how summer is already half way through, It seems like the main hits of the summer so far are Call me Maybe, Somebody That I Used To Know, Payphone and a bunch more.  8)

Written By: Creeder on 07/29/12 at 3:03 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7HmzwI67ec&feature=branded

Written By: Howard on 07/29/12 at 6:34 am

Maybe Rebecca Black will come up with another hit?  ;D

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 07/30/12 at 1:57 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7HmzwI67ec&feature=branded

I keep expecting Owl City to disappear! How has he stayed strong for so long?

Written By: Creeder on 07/30/12 at 2:18 am

I keep expecting Owl City to disappear! How has he stayed strong for so long?

Why? You don't like him? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/30/12 at 6:54 am

80's singers such as Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and Prince will continue to make new music.

Written By: Creeder on 07/30/12 at 10:19 am

80's singers such as Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and Prince will continue to make new music.

Well... Madonna and Bruce Springsteen did release new albums in the spring, but failed to make a huge impact.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/12 at 2:52 pm

Well... Madonna and Bruce Springsteen did release new albums in the spring, but failed to make a huge impact.

What about Prince?  ???

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 07/30/12 at 10:22 pm

Why? You don't like him? ???

He's a one-trick pony. Everytime he finds another fuzzy-cutesy-childlike ditty I feel convinced that he's run out of ideas.

Check for new replies or respond here...