inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Boybands OneDirection & The Wanted start the 2010's boyband craze

Written By: thenewtattoo on 03/25/12 at 5:27 pm

& out of nowhere the Teen Boyband craze is back!

Subject: Re: Boybands OneDirection & The Wanted start the 2010's boyband craze

Written By: 80sfan on 03/25/12 at 8:57 pm

Yup, they're back WITH A VENGEANCE!!

Written By: Rafael on 03/25/12 at 11:16 pm

the 2010s were expected to have a dark pop culture (like the 1990s) because the 2000s were bubblegum (like the 1980s) but with this trend i dont see that happening

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/25/12 at 11:49 pm

the 2010s were expected to have a dark pop culture (like the 1990s) because the 2000s were bubblegum (like the 1980s) but with this trend i dont see that happening

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing too. Although the early to mid 2000s was somewhat darker, but it was probably slightly evolved 90s stuff, so it'll probably get darker again in 5 years or so.

I honestly have mixed feelings. On the one hand, at least its somewhat happy and fun sounding, but I think it dumbs down mainstream pop culture even more, because music starts being dominated by 12 year old girls (no offense of course to 12 year old girls in general, I'm sure a few of them have good music taste too!) and really overexposed.

I think the current tweenpop/boy band thing actually started in 2009 with the Jonas Bros, then Bieber and its being passed onto stuff like 1D.

Written By: Creeder on 03/26/12 at 1:58 am

Backstreet boys are the best boy band of all time. The new ones are a joke compared to them.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/26/12 at 12:31 pm

The 2000s were not bubblegum (except for the very beginning and very end). 2002-2007 wasn't bubblegum at all.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/26/12 at 12:55 pm

I welcome their return because it buries late '00s rap (worst era for hip-hop ever and ruined the late '00s for me) even further in the grave. Though I'm way out of the target demo for these guys, I'd rather have this than that Soulja Boy, Yung Joc, T-Pain, Mims bs. Interesting fact is most of 1D and The Wanted core fans were probably born during BSB's and NSYNC's heyday. :o

Written By: Rafael on 03/26/12 at 1:39 pm

The 2000s were not bubblegum (except for the very beginning and very end). 2002-2007 wasn't bubblegum at all.

glam rap,skater punk,emo,dance hip hop,celebrity obsession,the O.C,paris hilton,my sweet 16,high school miusical

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1291350869.shtml

Written By: Brian06 on 03/26/12 at 1:54 pm

glam rap,skater punk,emo,dance hip hop,celebrity obsession,the O.C,paris hilton,my sweet 16,high school miusical

"Glam rap" is definitely not bubblegum to me, neither is punk, emo is a bit bubblegum though more punk/rock. High school musical I'll give you. I guess the '00s did have SOME bubblegum things but as someone who lived through 1997-2001 teen pop era, none of that stuff was bubblegum like that era. Bubblegum is like BSB, Jennifer Paige, Mandy Moore, 1999 Britney. I don't know how anybody could consider In da Club and Get Low "bubblegum".  ???

Written By: Rafael on 03/26/12 at 2:04 pm

"Glam rap" is definitely not bubblegum to me, neither is punk, emo is a bit bubblegum though more punk/rock. High school musical I'll give you. I guess the '00s did have SOME bubblegum things but as someone who lived through 1997-2001 teen pop era, none of that stuff was bubblegum like that era. Bubblegum is like BSB, Jennifer Paige, Mandy Moore, 1999 Britney. I don't know how anybody could consider In da Club and Get Low "bubblegum".  ???

i wrote skater punk (avril lavigne tipe songs from 2002-2004)
glam rap was considerd buublegum back then because were matrialistic

Written By: Brian06 on 03/26/12 at 2:08 pm

i wrote skater punk (avril lavigne tipe songs from 2002-2004)
glam rap was considerd buublegum back then because were matrialistic

Oh yeah Avril, maybe kinda bubblegumish but not really either. Avril was considered unbubblegum compared to teen pop artists of the late '90s. Sure she's pop but it's not the same super watered down bubblegum stuff, it's edgier pop rock like Pink and Michelle Branch. Of course Avril's later music "Girlfriend" was more bubblegum and she completely sold out.

Written By: Emman on 03/26/12 at 4:27 pm

I don't think glam rap, emo, and dance rap would count as being bubblegum(especially the harder edge stuff like 50 Cent, My Chemical Romance, The Used, AFI), the '00s pop culture was very lightweight though.

The bubblegum of the early '00s was stuff like Britney, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, the late '00s/early '10s bubblegum is disney pop like Miley, Justin Bieber, ect. I mean crunk is like strip club music, x rated stuff right there that was huge around '03-'07.

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/12 at 6:25 pm

Boy Bands never really went away.  They just kept quiet in North America. 

Written By: Rafael on 03/26/12 at 8:33 pm

one thing is bubblegum and another is kid friendly for example disco was bubblegumish but very sexualized
the same is with some music in the 2000s and today

Written By: Shiv on 03/27/12 at 8:32 am

For some reason, bubblegum is always popular at the beginning and end of each decade.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/12 at 7:37 pm

For some reason, bubblegum is always popular at the beginning and end of each decade.

Wasn't "bubblegum" popular during the late 60's?  ???

Written By: Emman on 03/27/12 at 7:58 pm

Wasn't "bubblegum" popular during the late 60's?  ???

More evidence to prove his point, it's almost like towards to end of the decades, the pop culture is a very water downed version of breakthrough trend earlier in the decade, for example: '70s - funk/soul into disco, '80s - new wave/hard rock into hair metal/dance-pop, '90s - grunge/gangsta rap/R&B into nu metal/glam rap/teen-pop, '00s - crunk/pop-punk into snap rap/emo.

Check for new replies or respond here...