inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fashion--Becoming more formal or casual?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/03/12 at 10:01 pm

I've noticed somethings around my campus:

One guy was wearing an old fashioned wind breaker type jacket--He said he'd gotten it from his grandfather. A lot of the guys around the campus dress pretty 'formal'--button down shirts or polos--even though it's a community college. I also noticed a couple of guys with wide collared button down shirts---Not quite as wide as the 70s but wider than just a few years ago. It makes me wonder if fashion is trending back from utter casual ness?

Subject: Re: Fashion--Becoming more formal or casual?

Written By: Emman on 04/03/12 at 10:25 pm

I've noticed somethings around my campus:

One guy was wearing an old fashioned wind breaker type jacket--He said he'd gotten it from his grandfather. A lot of the guys around the campus dress pretty 'formal'--button down shirts or polos--even though it's a community college. I also noticed a couple of guys with wide collared button down shirts---Not quite as wide as the 70s but wider than just a few years ago. It makes me wonder if fashion is trending back from utter casual ness?

I think fashion is definitely separating between the genders after decades of various androgynous fashion trends so that could be interpreted as a return to conservatism in fashion. I first noticed this in female fashion becoming more feminized in the mid/late '00s.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/12 at 6:56 am

I think it's more casual than formal these days. When I grew up I always wore T-shirts and jeans/shorts but I now am more casual/professional wearing a tie on occasions to work. I got rid of all my t-shirts in my closet and put in more button down shirts long and short sleeved.

Written By: Tyler on 04/16/12 at 7:16 pm

Hi...At my college its very casual.  I even wear a hat to class.  I wear it to the side of course.
I'm 19.

Written By: karen on 04/17/12 at 10:42 am

I think it's more casual than formal these days. When I grew up I always wore T-shirts and jeans/shorts but I now am more casual/professional wearing a tie on occasions to work. I got rid of all my t-shirts in my closet and put in more button down shirts long and short sleeved.

So that's the opposite of your first sentence.  :-\\

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/23/12 at 12:29 pm

On campus, I've been noticing that men are dressing nicer, and more formal; women, on the other hand, have been dressing down more than ever. It's all sweatpants and UGG boots up in there. Ugh.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/12/12 at 9:30 am

I notice women are dressing nicer now, covering their legs in hose which I like :), at least in the States (I don't think women in Europe or Asia ever stopped dressing nice).

Written By: Howard on 05/12/12 at 8:07 pm

I see more women wearing their bra straps out these days over at Ozone Park.

Written By: Patricia on 05/28/12 at 11:46 pm

Hi...At my college its very casual.  I even wear a hat to class.  I wear it to the side of course.
I'm 19.

Yep, I'm a 35 year old student in a community college and a lot of the kids wear hats to class  In one of my classes I had a 3 person group project and the two 18 year old boys in my group both wore their hats backwards with the brim angled to the side.  When working on the project in the library they wanted to go outside for a cigarette like every 20 minutes, and they were constantly texting their girlfriends, but to me they seemed like nice enough kids.  Although I wish they would not wear hats to school, its just too informal.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/12 at 6:48 am

I think fashion has become more lazy casual these days.

Check for new replies or respond here...