inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Carly Rae Jepsen

Written By: muzaklova on 04/05/12 at 12:24 pm

Call Me Maybe is pretty catchy isn't it? Not to mention she is super hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic&ob=av3n

Subject: Re: Carly Rae Jepsen

Written By: Creeder on 04/05/12 at 12:47 pm

Quality pop song... I really like it.

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/12 at 10:31 pm

I never used to like Carly Rae Jepsen's music.  I watched her when she was a contestant on Season 5 of Canadian Idol back in 2007 and she was doing indie style pop songs that I thought were quite boring.  She ended up placing 3rd on that show and ended up having 2 Top 40 hits in Canada from her debut album 'Tug of War'.  I honestly thought she was going to be a one album wonder, as 'Tug of War' came out in 2008. 

When 'Call Me Maybe' hit the US Top 40, she became the first ever Canadian Idol contestant to have a hit single in the US.  It has since become a Top 40 hit in Australia, New Zealand and most parts of Europe.  The song was written and produced by Josh Ramsay, the lead singer for the Canadian rock band Marianna's Trench. 

Written By: Emman on 04/05/12 at 11:01 pm

Holy crap she's 26, I thought she was like 17 or 18, she looks really young(plus the disney pop style the song is in).

Written By: Brian06 on 04/05/12 at 11:19 pm

Holy crap she's 26, I thought she was like 17 or 18, she looks really young(plus the disney pop style the song is in).

Yeah me too thought she was like teenager at first and not around my age, especially since Bieber is a big fan.  ;D

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 04/15/12 at 6:42 pm

I really like Carly Jepsen. I actually have her as a friend on Facebook and I talked to her before she went big. I was quite suprised she replied. Now it's pretty cool I talked to a celebrity cuz shes so famous now!  :D But I do enjoy her music because I listened to her before she was famous and I saw her first on Canadian Idol. I listened to all her old songs and I enjoyed them. Her new song is catchy but I don't like it that much. She is getting very big in the U.S. and Justin Beiber signed her on. I like her mostly cause she's Canadian and she's so successful now.  ;D

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 04/15/12 at 6:45 pm

When 'Call Me Maybe' hit the US Top 40, she became the first ever Canadian Idol contestant to have a hit single in the US.  It has since become a Top 40 hit in Australia, New Zealand and most parts of Europe.  The song was written and produced by Josh Ramsay, the lead singer for the Canadian rock band Marianna's Trench.

Hasn't Jacob Hoggard, from Hedley, have many hits that were popular in the U.S.?

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/12 at 8:09 pm

I just double checked into that, and it seems Hedley's song 'Perfect' reached #25 on the US Adult Top 40, but that was it.  No mainstream appearance within the US Hot 100 or even the US Rock charts.  Jepsen was the first to chart in the US Hot 100 and has since charted all across Europe

I would have thought Hedley would have been prime canditates to break into the US market

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 04/15/12 at 9:15 pm

I just double checked into that, and it seems Hedley's song 'Perfect' reached #25 on the US Adult Top 40, but that was it.  No mainstream appearance within the US Hot 100 or even the US Rock charts.  Jepsen was the first to chart in the US Hot 100 and has since charted all across Europe

I would have thought Hedley would have been prime canditates to break into the US market

Yeah I'm quite surprised.

Written By: whistledog on 05/06/12 at 8:43 pm

Her new single 'Curiosity' is at #53 in Canada and rising.  It does not appear to have a music video yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDcVtfyCcE

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/12 at 1:28 am

Love the debut song!

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/12 at 8:37 pm

Carly Rae Jepsen is moving on up.  I hope she does not remain a One Hit Wonder for the world outside of Canada.  Curiosity is a really good song!

2008 - Tug of War
2009 - Bucket
2011 - Call Me Maybe
2012 - Curiosity
2012 - Good Time <featuring Owl City> * *

* still in chart

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/12 at 10:22 am

September sees the release of Carly's 2nd album titled 'Kiss'

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/62/Carly_Rae_Jepsen_-_Kiss.jpg

It features the hits 'Call Me Maybe', 'Curiosity' and 'Good Time', the latter a duet with Owl City.  This album will most likely do well in the US and the UK, but I'm not so sure about Canada, only because early this year, she released a Canadian only 6 song EP titled 'Curiosity' which already had both 'Call Me Maybe' and Curiosity'. 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Carly_Rae_Jepsen_-_Curiosity_.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/31/12 at 11:52 pm

Call Me Maybe is pretty catchy isn't it? Not to mention she is super hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic

dBM7i84BThE

These posts are wrong,
And sorta crazy,

_Mxfsq8A9wc

They made me laugh,
I'm sorry, maybe?

(You clicks the videos, you takes your chances, it's Star Wars or My Little Pony.  Every spin ends up a winner, every win comes from a spinner.)

Written By: Creeder on 09/01/12 at 3:22 am

Its so nice to see a song that really makes an impact and changes pop history.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/01/12 at 8:29 am

Now the Candian stations won't have to play Celine Dion and Gordon Lightfoot 24/7.  :P

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/12 at 8:32 am

Now the Candian stations won't have to play Celine Dion and Gordon Lightfoot 24/7.  :P

I can't even tell you the last time I heard a Gordon Lightfoot song on the radio lol

Check for new replies or respond here...