inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: National Record Store Day

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/20/12 at 9:35 pm

If you don't know by now, National Record Store Day has been celebrated every 3rd Saturday in April since 2007 all over America and the UK. This year, it will be April 21 (tomorrow). Basically, it celebrates Mom and Pop or Indie Record Stores by having its participants sell rare, new or used albums, including vinyl LPs and long play singles (like 7" to 10" vinyl tracks). I thought it would be neat if we shared our vinyl collections (if you still have one) and/or picked a classic LP or single disc you would like to own for your collection. I still have Thriller by Michael Jackson, Syncronicity by The Police on, and two Wang Chungs. T 8) Happy NRSD,  Penguins.
Here's a link:
www.recordstoreday.com

Subject: Re: National Record Store Day

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/20/12 at 10:01 pm

Our local newspaper ran this story today to pay homage to a legendary record store here in Salt Lake.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment/53925103-81/kirk-shop-metal-heavy.html.csp

Written By: Jessica on 04/20/12 at 11:01 pm

I'll have to pop into our neighborhood record store tomorrow. :)

Written By: Howard on 04/21/12 at 6:42 am

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kp5g40rclh1qa01kqo1_500.jpg

This was my place to buy cheap music back in the days and to this day it is still standing after 25 years.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/12 at 7:21 am

If you don't know by now, National Record Store Day has been celebrated every 3rd Saturday in April since 2007 all over America and the UK. This year, it will be April 21 (tomorrow). Basically, it celebrates Mom and Pop or Indie Record Stores by having its participants sell rare, new or used albums, including vinyl LPs and long play singles (like 7" to 10" vinyl tracks). I thought it would be neat if we shared our vinyl collections (if you still have one) and/or picked a classic LP or single disc you would like to own for your collection. I still have Thriller by Michael Jackson, Syncronicity by The Police on, and two Wang Chungs. T 8) Happy NRSD,  Penguins.
Here's a link:
www.recordstoreday.com

I think I'll hit the record store today and see if I can pick up a copy of Wang Chung's Greatest Hits.  8)

Written By: Howard on 04/21/12 at 7:22 am

I think I'll hit the record store today and see if I can pick up a copy of Wang Chung's Greatest Hits.  8)

on your victrola?

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/21/12 at 2:53 pm

on your victrola?

Crosley has one of those retro style turntables with cassette tape deck and/or CD player. The record store I frequent even sold DJ turntables for a while.

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/12 at 4:20 pm

The one I frequent is Sam the Record Man.  Back in the 70s and 80s, Sam's was the leading record store retailer in Canada.  The chain eventually succumbed to Internet age and the ever growing HMV franchaise, but there is still one Sam the Record Man left and they still have a fantastic selection of records ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/51/Sams_in_Belleville.jpg/800px-Sams_in_Belleville.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/12 at 5:19 pm

on your victrola?

No but I am hoping they have it on 8-track.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/12 at 7:30 pm

Crosley has one of those retro style turntables with cassette tape deck and/or CD player. The record store I frequent even sold DJ turntables for a while.

My father gave away his victrola, he got in 1983 when he was working for Newmark And Lewis at the time.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/12 at 7:31 pm

No but I am hoping they have it on 8-track.

Wow LB where do you have an 8-track?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/21/12 at 7:46 pm

I'm hoping to get to Jerry's tomorrow.  http://www.jerrysrecords.com/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybg8k55Ryjg
He's got so many vinyls that he was on a Hoarding show.  ;D  My kind of guy!  ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15lKSqY86Ew&feature=related

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/12 at 4:53 pm

Wow LB where do you have an 8-track?

My brother has one over at my Mom's old house.  When his 8-track broke, I saw one at the local Radio Shack (this was like 15 years ago) and when I went up to buy it, the salesman looked at me kinda weird.

I told him "I'm buying this for my brother", but he looked at me like he did not believe me!  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/22/12 at 5:34 pm

My grandpa drove a Lincoln with an 8 track player in it.  We thought it was sooooo cool.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/12 at 6:31 am

My brother has one over at my Mom's old house.  When his 8-track broke, I saw one at the local Radio Shack (this was like 15 years ago) and when I went up to buy it, the salesman looked at me kinda weird.

I told him "I'm buying this for my brother", but he looked at me like he did not believe me!  ;D

shouldn't you be updating your technology?

Written By: karen on 04/23/12 at 10:38 am

We don't have any local independent record shops any more.  HMV and then Virgin Megastore killed them off.  Even the second-hand shop became on-line only

Written By: whistledog on 04/23/12 at 3:20 pm

Virgin Megastore killed them off. 

Nobody beats Richard Branson

Written By: Paul on 04/26/12 at 6:26 am

They had more than one? Amazing!

Well, someone should do...preferably with a heavy blunt object!

I couldn't honestly tell you where to find a place that actually sells records (second hand or otherwise)...all my past haunts have long closed up...

Written By: Howard on 04/26/12 at 6:40 am

Nobody beats The Wiz.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 04/27/12 at 6:26 pm

Get a load of Guestroom Records:

http://oklahomadispatch.blogspot.com/2011/01/guestroom-records.html

I've never visited, but it looks like a cool place to hang out. My folks still have records, but I don't think we have a record player (Don't quote me on that!  ;D). I don't have any records or a player myself, but I am quite the audiophile. I'm still trying to put together a plan to replace our Bose systems with a 7.1 setup; my current wish list is a Denon AVR-1912 receiver with Klipsch Reference speakers. That's more on the home theater side of things, but it's audio just the same.  8)

I've heard that The Flaming Lips have released a severely-limited-edition bizarre "duets" album for the occasion. They even collaborate with Ke$ha.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/12 at 7:39 pm

Do people still have their victrola?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/27/12 at 8:40 pm

Do people still have their victrola?

My Bro has a 1938 Philco 78rpm/AM/FM that I restored the cabinet.

And we have my Dad's hand-built radio from 1922.  8)

Written By: Howard on 04/28/12 at 6:32 am

My Bro has a 1938 Philco 78rpm/AM/FM that I restored the cabinet.

And we have my Dad's hand-built radio from 1922.  8)

How does it work? Is it good condition?

Check for new replies or respond here...