inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Playstation 4 & Xbox 720 release date= 2013

Written By: thenewtattoo on 06/19/12 at 7:05 pm

So it seems this current console generation  360 & ps3 even the wii for the matter is dragging on. Xbox 360 came out in November of 2005 . This system has lasted the snap rap era - lady gaga electro era  to the  now era. The new systems are dying to come out.  What system do you think will win the next console era. Right now Wii and 360 have won with  ps3 in third.  To be honest  the graphics better be leaps above what we are seeing right now otherwise i will have no interest .

Subject: Re: Playstation 4 & Xbox 720 release date= 2013

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/19/12 at 7:29 pm

So it seems this current console generation  360 & ps3 even the wii for the matter is dragging on. Xbox 360 came out in November of 2005 . This system has lasted the snap rap era - lady gaga electro era  to the  now era. The new systems are dying to come out.  What system do you think will win the next console era. Right now Wii and 360 have won with  ps3 in third.  To be honest  the graphics better be leaps above what we are seeing right now otherwise i will have no interest .

Not sure which system will "win." As far as that goes, I think that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all have their loyal customers (kind of like Ford and Chevrolet had back in the day and still do, to some degree). I bought a PS One back in 1998 and have been a Sony man ever since. My nephews bought an original Xbox not long after and they've stayed with Microsoft. And I imagine Nintendo has their loyal fans as well. I mean, feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong, but isn't that kind of how it works?

What I'm really wondering about the nextgen systems is, is this going to be the generation of video game consoles that finally reaches total realism? Meaning, will you walk into a room and not tell whether someone is watching a movie or playing it? Or is that still one generation away perhaps?

And once total realism is reached, where do they go from there?  ???

Written By: Howard on 06/19/12 at 8:13 pm

I'd like to keep my PS3 it has everything I need like Netflix Amazon and buying games.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 06/19/12 at 8:39 pm

ps4 will have netflix and amazon

by the way would u say netflix is a good replacement for cable?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/19/12 at 8:41 pm

Yes, the current generation of consoles has lasted longer than the historical average. Going back to the 8 bit era, we typically start getting nextgen consoles about every four to five years, while this current generation is almost 7 years old. It doesn't really surprise me though, as many analysts had predicted years ago that Sony and Microsoft would probably want to wait as long as possible before launching new consoles so they could both get the most out of the technology offered by the Xbox 360 and the PS3, and so they could make a maximum profit on the two consoles since they cost so much to manufacture. But now that Nintendo is supposedly launching the "Wii U" later this year, Nintendo is forcing the hand of Sony and Microsoft to launch nextgen machines soon as well to keep up with the market.

As far as who will win the next console war, Nintendo has pretty much dominated this one, but there's obviously no guarantee that will continue. I would think Nintendo would have a good shot to take it again due to the fact that it looks like their getting a headstart, but it's just about impossible to predict this.

And once total realism is reached, where do they go from there?  ???

Good question. If game graphics ever do reach a point where they literally cannot advance any further, the one area where there can always be improvement is the size and scope of the games. Like I hope that 40 years from now we can be playing a sandbox style, "Grand Theft Auto" like game where the city you play in is a complete replica of New York or Los Angeles. Now that would be cool. 8)

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/12 at 8:42 pm

WTF does snap rap have to go with video games?

I don't want new systems to come out.  I mean how much more realistic can it get before it won't seen like a video game anymore.  I like it as it is now, but I know they will soon change it.  One day, life will be one giant video game.  Atari and 8-Bit Nintendo.  Those were the days  :\'(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/19/12 at 8:49 pm

Good question. If game graphics ever do reach a point where they literally cannot advance any further, the one area where there can always be improvement is the size and scope of the games. Like I hope that 40 years from now we can be playing a sandbox style, "Grand Theft Auto" like game where the city you play in is a complete replica of New York or Los Angeles. Now that would be cool. 8)

Or better yet, New York or L.A. in 1966.  ;)

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/20/12 at 6:23 am

Ever since the 16-bit generation (Super NES and Sega Genesis), a company released their next generation every 4-6 years. Super NES was released in 1991, and their subsequent systems were released in 1996 (N64), 2001 (Gamecube), and 2006 (Wii). In theory, Nintendo should have released its new system in 2011. Playstation 1, 2, and 3 were released in 1995, 2000, and 2006 respectively, so PS4 is overdue.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/12 at 7:01 am

ps4 will have netflix and amazon

by the way would u say netflix is a good replacement for cable?

You know I can't say but you know netflix is good for watching films but never will it replace cable.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/12 at 7:07 am

Ever since the 16-bit generation (Super NES and Sega Genesis), a company released their next generation every 4-6 years. Super NES was released in 1991, and their subsequent systems were released in 1996 (N64), 2001 (Gamecube), and 2006 (Wii). In theory, Nintendo should have released its new system in 2011. Playstation 1, 2, and 3 were released in 1995, 2000, and 2006 respectively, so PS4 is overdue.

and don't forget The Atari 2600 when it debuted in 1977.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/20/12 at 3:09 pm

I don't generally invest in consoles anymore, I'd rather upgrade my PC every few years.  I did however have a PS1 and then a PS2 and went strictly WII for the current generation.  There isn't much to interest me on the current MS and Sony systems that I can't get on a PC.  At least with the WII I get an interesting interface.  I guess Kinect on the 360 is neat, but I haven't seen any games for it that perk my interest enough to make the investment.

Steam is about the only thing that makes me buy games with any regularity now.  I've purchased over 50 games with Steam, some I haven't even tried yet.  The disadvantage of having a full time job and responsibilities I guess. 

I did just buy one of these bad boys for my MAME setup at home... got a fantastic price on ebay for it too.  Neal is hooked on it as well.

http://na.suzohapp.com/trackballs/565500xx.htm
http://na.suzohapp.com/images/50/565500xx/565500xx_11.jpg

Written By: Howard on 06/21/12 at 6:52 am

I don't think I'll ever get tired of game consoles at almost 40 years old I still have a console and I play my WWE12 game almost every day, It's so addicting.

Check for new replies or respond here...