inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How historically significant is Youtube?

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/22/12 at 5:54 pm

Youtube is more than just a video sharing website. It's a cultural phenomenon. Thanks to Youtube, people can easily catch a glimpse of times from before they were born, and not just read about them in history books, but actually watch and listen to them. Coincidentally, it seems that anything retro is currently cool. Has there ever been a time when young people were so enraptured with retro fads and music?

What do you think? Perhaps I'm merely exaggerating things?  ::)

Subject: Re: How historically significant is Youtube?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 06/22/12 at 7:10 pm

in the  90s the 70s and 60s were cool

Written By: Howard on 06/22/12 at 7:14 pm

I love youtube and I've been using it for 6 years now,It's great I can listen to music, watch videos, view vlogs and subscribe to channels.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 06/22/12 at 7:22 pm

I love youtube and I've been using it for 6 years now,It's great I can listen to music, watch videos, view vlogs and subscribe to channels.

I dont see youtube going away ever due to this

Written By: Howard on 06/22/12 at 8:01 pm

I dont see youtube going away ever due to this

Youtube and dailymotion too.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/22/12 at 8:42 pm

Youtube is more than just a video sharing website. It's a cultural phenomenon. Thanks to Youtube, people can easily catch a glimpse of times from before they were born, and not just read about them in history books, but actually watch and listen to them. Coincidentally, it seems that anything retro is currently cool. Has there ever been a time when young people were so enraptured with retro fads and music?

Not at all. It's amazing how much instant access YouTube provides to pretty much anything, and I would have loved to have had this back in the 80's. 

And, aside from the pop culture aspects of it, you can also find stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azV5bC2br-Q

Which, I maintain, is the greatest video on YouTube.  ;)

Written By: meesa on 06/23/12 at 1:41 pm

I have found several useful bits of information on youtube from complicated crochet stitches to how to do different braids for hair. There are even videos that will teach you higher math concepts, how to build a swing set or change a tire on a scooter. It's usefulness, I think, gives it even more importance than just finding entertainment (although that is great too)

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/23/12 at 3:35 pm

What I like about YouTube is how you can virtually travel to just about anywhere in the world. Just type in the search such as "Train in the Atlanta Airport", "Approach into Tokyo/Narita Airport", London Eye, or Space Needle and you'll be guaranteed to see at least a few videos posted in those locations.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/12 at 8:16 pm

I also enjoy watching old and new videos on youtube.

Written By: Creeder on 06/24/12 at 2:59 am

Radio -> Television -> Youtube

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/24/12 at 6:14 am

I think the first time I went there was to watch the Rocky Balboa teaser trailer, around late 2005/very early 2006.

By March/April, 2006, I was hooked.

Written By: Howard on 06/24/12 at 7:08 am

I also enjoy youtube for subscribing to channels.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/24/12 at 10:27 pm

Yeah, YouTube is pretty much the easiest way to find "stuff that's old" - in an age when most of our culture is audio or visual, it's the closest thing we have to substantiate pop culture references.  Anyone can say they remember an obscure commercial, movie, or song, and if they're right, someone will likely remember something else.  But with access to a library of everything ever recorded anywhere, things become easier to find, and ideas vastly easier to substantiate.

It's a minority view, but I see the existence of archives like the video upped to YouTube as by definition fair use.  Any individual hunk of video uploaded may be copyrighted by the uploader (original content), a derivative work or parody (a grey area in which mashups live), or flat out copyright infringement (by the uploader, and subject to the minimal due process afforded by the DMCA). 

YouTube is a giant library.  If you really don't want your book in the library, if you don't want anyone to see your 30-year-old movie or your 20-year-old 30-second commercial, you've still got the right to ask it to burn what might be the last remaining copy of your work, but you don't have the right to shut down the library and burn everything else to the ground with it.

Something to keep in mind during the next SOPA/PIPA/ACTA debate, which will be back next year when the elections are over.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/12 at 7:06 am

There's also this website called dailymotion which also does the same thing as Youtube.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/25/12 at 11:09 am

To me, it's very historical. I think it's been around since 2005 yes?

Written By: Howard on 06/25/12 at 2:13 pm

To me, it's very historical. I think it's been around since 2005 yes?

Yes 7 years.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/25/12 at 4:51 pm

What I like about YouTube is how you can virtually travel to just about anywhere in the world. Just type in the search such as "Train in the Atlanta Airport", "Approach into Tokyo/Narita Airport", London Eye, or Space Needle and you'll be guaranteed to see at least a few videos posted in those locations.

And for that very reason you couldn't pay me enough money to fly into Toncontin International Airport in Tegucigalpa, Honduras.  :o :o :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_z5HtME9n8&feature=related

Written By: singer on 06/25/12 at 5:46 pm

Am I the only one who likes some types of videos (like music ones) on YouTube but hates most user-made content on there?
I'm just fed up with kids, teens and even adults talking trash about the economy/politics/some celebrity or doing stupid stuff, trying too hard to be popular on there. I used to enjoy it, but it's went overboard. Some people think that YouTube is a popularity contest obviously. ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/26/12 at 6:07 am

I like youtube because I can watch stupid people do stupid things and have them post it so I can laugh at it later.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/26/12 at 10:15 am

Yes 7 years.

Great!

Written By: Howard on 06/26/12 at 7:29 pm

Great!

and I have my own channel but most of the 200 videos don't work cause they've been deleted.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/29/12 at 9:31 pm

By far YouTube is my favorite Social Networking site that has ever been created.

Written By: Howard on 06/30/12 at 7:06 am

I like youtube because stuff that is live that night I can watch the same thing taped the next day.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/11/12 at 4:31 pm

No, because I think it's just about impossible to exaggerate the impact that YouTube has had since it's debut. For everybody here that used the internet before 2005 (which I'm sure is all of you), think about how different it was back then when it came to finding video content. Watching TV shows or movies was impossible if you didn't have a high speed connection (which many people, including me, didn't yet), because the only way you could get a hold of anything was through either bit torrent or P2P, and even then the more obscure stuff you can find on YT today was not readily available. Same with music videos. Old commercial junkies such as myself could find some audio or maybe even video clips, but the selection was not even one tenth of the commercial repository that YT has become.

For myself, the best example of how much more awesome the internet has become thanks to YT goes back to 2004. I was going through my '80s obsession at the time, and I found a torrent for an episode of Moonlighting. It took over a day for the entire episode to finish downloading! Today I could watch that same episode on demand.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/11/12 at 4:43 pm

Youtube is definitely revolutionary...you can find nearly anything on there. Any song, some random movies, clips from tv shows, concerts, footage of various subject matter, etc. Before it was around, you really didn't have an easy one-stop-shop for that kind of stuff. Sucks though when YouTube removes videos for copyright violations though, lol.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/12 at 7:48 pm

Youtube is definitely revolutionary...you can find nearly anything on there. Any song, some random movies, clips from tv shows, concerts, footage of various subject matter, etc. Before it was around, you really didn't have an easy one-stop-shop for that kind of stuff. Sucks though when YouTube removes videos for copyright violations though, lol.

and don't forget Dailymotion they have been around for 6 years.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/11/12 at 8:29 pm

Not only that, where else could you find videos of people lighting their farts?  ;D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/12/12 at 12:06 am

Not only that, where else could you find videos of people lighting their farts?  ;D

;D That would be included under "footage of various subject matter"

Written By: Howard on 07/12/12 at 6:47 am

or hot women shaking their booties?  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/12 at 1:24 pm

I LOVE YouTube. I am able to find old songs that I haven't heard in decades-that very few people even remember. Finding old commercials, t.v. shows & movies. Also those incredible videos like the ones that Al posted. Then you have all those cute ones of animals & kids. 

The one that I was so thrilled to find was a t.v. special that took place in 1962 called Julie & Carol At Carnegie Hall starring Julie Andrews & Carol Burnett. We had the album when I was a kid and we basically wore out the record because we loved it so much. (I played Carol & my sister played Julie). I was so happy to see that someone had the video to that special that I didn't think existed! Even though I knew every line I never knew WHAT they were doing when they sang the songs. Now I do.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/12/12 at 1:51 pm

I can also find old television themes I haven't heard from in quite some time.

Check for new replies or respond here...