inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the sound of "now"

Written By: Emman on 06/28/12 at 2:28 pm

What is a sound or style of music that is most distinctive to 2012 or the early '10s in general, what is unmistakably 2012?

for instance for me

the sound of '62 would be surf rock, guitar instrumentals, folk revival, and Phil Spector's wall of sound, guys with a clean cut look

the sound of '72 would be wah wah funk, soft philly soul, singer-songwriter striped down pop, proggy rock, glam rock, long hair and beards, afros, bellbottoms, high heels, and wide collars

the sound of '82 would be new wave and post-punk, I picture A Flock Of Seagulls, Prince, Duran Duran, and Michael Jackson

the sound of '92 would be rave/house, grunge, shoegaze, trip-hop, g funk, people wearing baggy clothes, overalls, braids, flannel, doc martens, high top fades, and big frizzy hair

the sound of '02 would be urban pop/R&B(like The Neptunes productions), dirty south rap, nu metal, mall punk, and of course the garage rock revival bands, guys wearing dew rags, trucker hats, short spiky hair, girls in slutty attire

And for me the sound of that is unmistakable to '12 would be dubstep/brostep, wubbly, gnarly bass sounds, and also electro-house, guys in skinny jeans, graphic tees, and waistcoats, hipster-lite attire.

Subject: Re: What is the sound of "now"

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/29/12 at 12:25 am

The sound of 2012 to me would be electronic, Disney Channel-esque tween/teen pop, Indie/hipsterish musical styles, and a look for guys that is a cross between Justin Bieber and hipster-chic, and a look for ladies that is flowery and feminine.

Written By: Creeder on 06/29/12 at 12:59 pm

early 2010's - glam electropop/dance-pop, indie pop/rock, electronica/dubstep and alternative hip-hop

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/29/12 at 9:26 pm

Early 10s is very Electronic, Autotune, Dubstep, Indie, House type of music. Pretty much the opposite of the early 00s. Fashion is much brighter and tighter for women. For men it is more feminime like Justin Beibers hair and things like that.

Check for new replies or respond here...