inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has there been a 00s backlash?

Written By: sonikuu on 07/03/12 at 9:27 am

I was recently browsing through some older threads on this board from the 00s.  One thing I noticed was that many people back in the 00s were certain that there would be a strong backlash against the 00s in the 2010s.  Would you say that has happened or not?

To be honest, I would say it hasn't.  Significant portions of the 00s and 00s culture might be ignored, but there hasn't been an active backlash against it.  Some might have called Occupy Wall Street a backlash (indeed, many members on this board were certain OWS would help define the 00s), but that's ceased to be a major, mainstream moment and lost its media limelight.  Also, certain elements of the 00s are still alive and well in 2012.  The 00s is quickly becoming more and more dated, but there doesn't seem to be backlash at all.  Maybe against Emo I guess, but that was more hated than loved in the 00s, as I recall seeing more Emo bashers than Emo lovers throughout large portions of the 00s.

Subject: Re: Has there been a 00s backlash?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/03/12 at 11:29 am

There isnt a backlash to the 2000s but more of a facepalm thing.

The dance pop of 2008-2012 is a opposite response to the 2000s music
The anti bullying campaign of 2010s is the opposite of the 2000s were there was none.

Written By: Shiv on 07/03/12 at 11:43 am

Getting there...emo and the gangsta bling look/rap are already a laughing stock, and fashion is increasingly bright and flowery (as opposed to the bland 00s look). I think it will intensify by the mid 10s.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/03/12 at 1:36 pm

Getting there...emo and the gangsta bling look/rap are already a laughing stock, and fashion is increasingly bright and flowery (as opposed to the bland 00s look). I think it will intensify by the mid 10s.

the2000s in gen are  a laughing stock  minus 2008 - forward

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 07/03/12 at 2:22 pm

OWS is still going strong in cities across the countries. They shut down Madison Ave in NYC on May Day— absolutely no media coverage, not even New York Times. It is due to corporate influence and the fact that our news cycle has the attention span of a golfish. For a lot of people, it is still a very significant part of '10s culture'.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/03/12 at 4:30 pm

The theme of protests will be a 2010s defining template

Written By: Jquar on 07/08/12 at 2:08 am

The backlash is usually pretty much apparent by the 4 year of any decade.  By 2014 things will feel pretty far removed from the 00s.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/08/12 at 6:32 am

The 2000s did not have an iPad, which is the opposite of the 2010s which has seen several versions.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/08/12 at 9:00 am

The backlash is usually pretty much apparent by the 4 year of any decade.  By 2014 things will feel pretty far removed from the 00s.

please explain

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/09/12 at 7:10 pm

please explain

Usually, by the fifth year of a decade, the respective decade's identity is already set, and any leftovers from the previous decade are almost or completely gone (by 1984, the '80s had become distinct from the '70s; 1994 from the '80s, etc).

Written By: Shiv on 07/09/12 at 8:25 pm

The three biggest anti-00s movements seem to be the "green" movement (in contrast to the 00s' bigger-is-better, all-about-me vibe), the upbeat pop (in contrast to thug rap, emo, post-grunge, etc), and the tight, feminine, colorful, fashion (as opposed to the bland, baggy, casual 00s). Seeing that it's only 2012, I'd imagine by the mid 10s if you still like anything from the 00s, expect a Billy Madison's first day at high school-type scenario.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/09/12 at 9:41 pm

The three biggest anti-00s movements seem to be the "green" movement (in contrast to the 00s' bigger-is-better, all-about-me vibe), the upbeat pop (in contrast to thug rap, emo, post-grunge, etc), and the tight, feminine, colorful, fashion (as opposed to the bland, baggy, casual 00s). Seeing that it's only 2012, I'd imagine by the mid 10s if you still like anything from the 00s, expect a Billy Madison's first day at high school-type scenario.

Women's fashion was already pretty feminine in the '00s, especially in comparison to the '90s.

Written By: Shiv on 07/10/12 at 9:21 am

Women's fashion was already pretty feminine in the '00s, especially in comparison to the '90s.

From what I remember, at least in high school, it was still mostly jeans and t shirt/hoodie but tighter. It wasn't all flowery/dresses/skirts/hipsterish like today.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/10/12 at 11:31 am

From what I remember, at least in high school, it was still mostly jeans and t shirt/hoodie but tighter. It wasn't all flowery/dresses/skirts/hipsterish like today.

u were prob refering to 2003-2007

Written By: Shiv on 07/10/12 at 12:33 pm

u were prob refering to 2003-2007

Yeah, I was in high school in the mid 00s.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/10/12 at 12:43 pm

I remember, from about 2005 onward, lots of my female classmates wearing sequin, cropped jackets, and flashy jewelry and accessories. Clearly, our experiences differ.  ::)

I think jeans and a t-shirt/hoodie comprised a default fashion trend for not just women but men as well, but it's been that way for a while now, I think. However, when women wanted to look dressier, there were lots of very feminine styles in vogue.

Written By: Shiv on 07/10/12 at 1:08 pm

I remember, from about 2005 onward, lots of my female classmates wearing sequin, cropped jackets, and flashy jewelry and accessories. Clearly, our experiences differ.  ::)

I think jeans and a t-shirt/hoodie comprised a default fashion trend for not just women but men as well, but it's been that way for a while now, I think. However, when women wanted to look dressier, there were lots of very feminine styles in vogue.

I live in Buffalo, that could be why. People here still had neon clothes, feathered hair, perms and mullets WELL into the 90s  ;D

Written By: elr on 07/10/12 at 1:33 pm

One thing about 00's fashion was that it was very cookie cutter, mass produced, more about image than to oneself or one's individuality.  It was a hot mess.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/10/12 at 2:20 pm

2000s was all about sheesh and bling

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 07/10/12 at 2:48 pm

One thing about 00's fashion was that it was very cookie cutter, mass produced, more about image than to oneself or one's individuality.  It was a hot mess.

Bringing 80s clothing back was strange to me. People in 2002 was still wearing Fubu, the fudge? That bling bling era was from 2002-2008

The 90s fashion was pretty gender neutral at times.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/10/12 at 3:54 pm

The 90s fashion was pretty gender neutral at times.

Unisex was one fashion trend during the '90s, but there were still some feminine styles as well, only the feminine styles were very minimalist compared to the flashy, show-offy feminine styles of the '00s.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/12 at 7:46 pm

2000s was all about sheesh and bling

How would you describe it?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/10/12 at 8:06 pm

How would you describe it?

50 cent jewelry thats shiny  with grillz
it was really sheeshty that and Nba oversized jerseys

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/11/12 at 3:41 am

I don't think it has yet but people still dislike the decade, then again, some people these days seem to not know the difference between the 2000s and 2010s and think 2000s stuff is 90s and we are still living in the 2000s  ??? I honestly don't see a  big difference between fashion now and the 2000s (With the exception of very early 2000s) Honestly, the baggy gangster look and dark look was more 90s and parts of it went on to the 2000s with more bling added and it went more tighter, materialistic and more feminine. I don't see a big difference now. I do however, see the increase on the feminine look in the 2010s and as opposed to the 2000s (i.e. Justin Beiber) clothes are brighter and tighter and more colorful I find. The 2010s may go for a bright, hipster look overall in the end. Music has obviously changed drastically (I don't think that's very debatable)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/11/12 at 1:08 pm

I don't think it has yet but people still dislike the decade, then again, some people these days seem to not know the difference between the 2000s and 2010s and think 2000s stuff is 90s and we are still living in the 2000s  ??? I honestly don't see a  big difference between fashion now and the 2000s (With the exception of very early 2000s) Honestly, the baggy gangster look and dark look was more 90s and parts of it went on to the 2000s with more bling added and it went more tighter, materialistic and more feminine. I don't see a big difference now. I do however, see the increase on the feminine look in the 2010s and as opposed to the 2000s (i.e. Justin Beiber) clothes are brighter and tighter and more colorful I find. The 2010s may go for a bright, hipster look overall in the end. Music has obviously changed drastically (I don't think that's very debatable)

Music did a 180 for the better.  2000s backlash isnt a backlash per say but rather than  a internal distaste for anything related to the early or mid 2000s. But dont forget every decade has like 3 periods,  90s (Early pop, Grunge/Gangsta , Bubblegum) 2000s  (Punk/R&b/HipHop , Crunk/Snap/Emo , Electro pop)  So  by late 2013  lets just say    October 12 2013  u will see an even greater divide between the 2010s and 2000s  than  we currently are discussing . could be exciting though    the peak 2010s start in a year

Written By: bchris02 on 07/11/12 at 4:06 pm

The thing about Occupy Wall Street is it devolved from a noble movement with a purpose into a bunch of spoiled kids who don't want to have a job complaining and causing problems.  Mainstream America really doesn't want to be associated with that.

As for an '00s backlash, I think we are definitely seeing it.  Hip-hop still pops up occasionally in Top 40, but most music today is of the ilk of Rebecca Black's Friday.  Call Me Maybe will probably be the biggest song of 2012. 

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/11/12 at 5:23 pm

The thing about Occupy Wall Street is it devolved from a noble movement with a purpose into a bunch of spoiled kids who don't want to have a job complaining and causing problems.  Mainstream America really doesn't want to be associated with that.

As for an '00s backlash, I think we are definitely seeing it.  Hip-hop still pops up occasionally in Top 40, but most music today is of the ilk of Rebecca Black's Friday.  Call Me Maybe will probably be the biggest song of 2012.

like i said its  a subtle backlash not a disco sucks backlash

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/11/12 at 6:07 pm

like i said its  a subtle backlash not a disco sucks backlash

I agree, people just like hating the 2000s because they like the older days more like the 80's or 90's and not necessarily because they hate and make fun of rap and the emo look. 90s had some backlash during the decade (In the late 90s) and during the very early 2000s (2000-2001) But it was very minimal.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/11/12 at 7:20 pm

I agree, people just like hating the 2000s because they like the older days more like the 80's or 90's and not necessarily because they hate and make fun of rap and the emo look. 90s had some backlash during the decade (In the late 90s) and during the very early 2000s (2000-2001) But it was very minimal.

We are just now getting over the 2000s vibe  i mean its over but there is an afterglow of it that we remember 2003- 2008. Because of that the full minimal backlash hasnt got intense . Its going to be very subtle little things ull notice like  ( aw man ur wearing a doo rag thats so 2000s). Snap rap already faced a backlash hence when someone posts something about soulja boy on utube u see comments such as  wow i fell for that crap  or wow so sheeshty how did i even like this.

Check for new replies or respond here...