inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vibe of the Mid 2010's (2013-2016)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/03/12 at 4:36 pm

Vibe of the 2010's

What do you think the vibe of the mid 10s will be?.
80s had a Bright  me me me  buy buy buy  FCK you FCK you vibe
90s had a  Dark  f the system / laid back relaxed vibe
00s  had  a  ME ME ME  FCK  you all about me vibe  kinda like the 80s

2010s might go down a  neo 60s hippie/ Dark vibe

What do you think ?

Subject: Re: Vibe of the Mid 2010's (2013-2016)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/12 at 6:07 pm

I'm looking for some more ME ME ME F-U-ALL for the next 3 or 4 years.

Written By: Emman on 07/03/12 at 6:24 pm

I honestly think pop culture will become much more saccharine further into the 2010s(Call Me Maybe is an example that gives me this vibe).
Fashion will probably get much more clean cut, men more masculine, women more feminine, bye bye goth, emo, and gangsta thugs from the '90s/'00s. This will be a time when pop culture starts really cleaning up all the increasingly edgy, profane, overtly sexual, and raunchy direction that culture has been going since the '60s.

If the anti wall street/global protest movements keeps up(and hard times have a way of uniting people) this period may very well go down as the "we" decade contrasting the 1970s "me" decade.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/03/12 at 6:56 pm

I honestly think pop culture will become much more saccharine further into the 2010s(Call Me Maybe is an example that gives me this vibe).
Fashion will probably get much more clean cut, men more masculine, women more feminine, bye bye goth, emo, and gangsta thugs from the '90s/'00s. This will be a time when pop culture starts really cleaning up all the increasingly edgy, profane, overtly sexual, and raunchy direction that culture has been going since the '60s.

If the anti wall street/global protest movements keeps up(and hard times have a way of uniting people) this period may very well go down as the "we" decade contrasting the 1970s "me" decade.

I hope you're right.

A lot of it depends on whether or nor the economy gets turned around and who wins the election in November.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/03/12 at 9:22 pm

I hope you're right.

A lot of it depends on whether or nor the economy gets turned around and who wins the election in November.

if Romney wins  (he better not) we are headed in a new era

Written By: Shiv on 07/04/12 at 10:44 pm

mid 00s backlash....clean-cut, upbeat, mature, colorful, melodic

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/05/12 at 8:55 am

mid 00s backlash....clean-cut, upbeat, mature, colorful, melodic

But right now is the mid 00s backlash

Written By: tnf on 07/05/12 at 10:22 am

A continuing 'ME ME ME  FCK  you all about me vibe  kinda like the 80s', I guess (sadly).

Around me, I only see it going worse.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/05/12 at 10:46 am

A continuing 'ME ME ME  FCK  you all about me vibe  kinda like the 80s', I guess (sadly).

the netherlands is stuck in 2005  its not like that  as much here in America

Written By: tnf on 07/05/12 at 11:08 am

It seems to be most important to have the newest iPod/iPad/Macbook/etcetera here. Give you the right status; ultra hip, and it shows you have money. It seems cool to take a picture of you & your gadget in Starbucks, and put the result on Facebook.  ::)

A typical 80s way of thinking mixed with the current technical possibilities.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/05/12 at 12:11 pm

It seems to be most important to have the newest iPod/iPad/Macbook/etcetera here. Give you the right status; ultra hip, and it shows you have money. It seems cool to take a picture of you & your gadget in Starbucks, and put the result on Facebook.  ::)

The 2000s were mainly  80s ish in being me me me. But in 2010s  since the rescission happened ppl are more thrifty with money. Yes ppl  take pics of imacs and macbooks  but it isnt as in your face as say  a  2005 sidekick phone or  a grill was.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/12 at 7:09 pm

I'm looking for some more ME ME ME F-U-ALL for the next 3 or 4 years.

;D

Written By: Howard on 07/05/12 at 7:11 pm

In what way? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/05/12 at 7:14 pm

I think everybody who posts pictures, they show their friends on Facebook or Twitter, that's the thing everyone does these days.

Written By: tnf on 07/06/12 at 12:26 am

The 2000s were mainly  80s ish in being me me me. But in 2010s  since the rescission happened ppl are more thrifty with money. Yes ppl  take pics of imacs and macbooks  but it isnt as in your face as say  a  2005 sidekick phone or  a grill was.

My theory:

The more 'have nots', the more the 'haves' are proud of themselves (and showing it). In eras like this, money gives extra power.

But maybe there's a difference between (the west side of) Europe and The USA, when it comes to that.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/06/12 at 1:47 am

My theory:

The more 'have nots', the more the 'haves' are proud of themselves (and showing it). In eras like this, money gives extra power.

But maybe there's a difference between (the west side of) Europe and The USA, when it comes to that.

good point but i would still say 2010s is less  materialistic as 2000s

Written By: Howard on 07/06/12 at 6:22 am

What kind of vibe did the 60's and 70's have? ???

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/06/12 at 10:57 am

Seems like at least in North America, the pop culture seems more materialistic than the 2000s. It seems more fake and more superficial . You can clearly spot this in music. Mainstream music just sounds the same and talent less with a lot of Autotune. In the 2000s, there was more talent on the radio and more serous music and people didn't have the same technology (Like IPhones and Tablets now) so people were less materialistic and more serious. Most kids didn't text in 2005 and they didn't have phones like they do now everywhere. Most people didn't have Facebook in 2005 either. So that's the way I see it. Mid 10s I see more the same culture but who really knows.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/06/12 at 1:04 pm

Seems like at least in North America, the pop culture seems more materialistic than the 2000s. It seems more fake and more superficial . You can clearly spot this in music. Mainstream music just sounds the same and talent less with a lot of Autotune. In the 2000s, there was more talent on the radio and more serous music and people didn't have the same technology (Like IPhones and Tablets now) so people were less materialistic and more serious. Most kids didn't text in 2005 and they didn't have phones like they do now everywhere. Most people didn't have Facebook in 2005 either. So that's the way I see it. Mid 10s I see more the same culture but who really knows.

False, cell phones were huge in 2005 and everyone was using them. The Motorola razor phone was the most common  , and that came out in 2004.  Kids had Myspace instead of Facebook  so yes we had technology (kids or teens). There was snap rap which was superficial .There were sidekicks from t mobile which were the  mobile internet of the time.  So the point you just made is a lil bit skewed

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/06/12 at 1:14 pm

Music was more serious. There was rap that was more real. There were pop songs that talked about more important things and that were more serious and real than "Sexy and I know it" or "Party Rock Anthem" and Autotune was used much, much less than today. Cell phones were around, BUT, they were used much less than now and they were used mostly by older teens than now so that is why I am saying it was less materialistic in 2005. Yes, MySpace was around, but again, Social Media in general was used much less than now and it was only starting to begin with MySpace and YouTube.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/06/12 at 1:21 pm

^Like with the exception of a few, you do not hear many pop songs today like "Break Away" by Kelly Clarkson and "We Belong Together" by Mariah Carey from 2005. You hear more songs about sex and drugs these days and and Autotune as well. Also, there were more decent rock bands in common in 2005 as well. You don't have a lot of rock bands out there like 3 Doors Down and Green Day today like you did in 2005......

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/06/12 at 1:23 pm

False, cell phones were huge in 2005 and everyone was using them. The Motorola razor phone was the most common  , and that came out in 2004.  Kids had Myspace instead of Facebook  so yes we had technology (kids or teens). There was snap rap which was superficial .There were sidekicks from t mobile which were the  mobile internet of the time.  So the point you just made is a lil bit skewed

But not as huge as today, so therefore, it's more materialistic and less serious today than in 2005.  ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/06/12 at 1:49 pm

so people were less materialistic and more serious. Most kids didn't text in 2005 and they didn't have phones like they do now everywhere. Most people didn't have Facebook in 2005 either. So that's the way I see it.

Come on, technology was already really really big in 2005. It's not that I would associate the year with the 'good old' analog times  ::) . Cell phones were everywhere - it just weren't so many smartphones; but where is the big difference?

Most poeple didn't have facebook in 2005? Facebook was not commercially available before late '06, so nearly NOBODY had facebook back then.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/06/12 at 1:51 pm

What kind of vibe did the 60's and 70's have? ???

funky and peace

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/06/12 at 1:59 pm

Music was more serious. There was rap that was more real. There were pop songs that talked about more important things and that were more serious and real than "Sexy and I know it" or "Party Rock Anthem" and Autotune was used much, much less than today. Cell phones were around, BUT, they were used much less than now and they were used mostly by older teens than now so that is why I am saying it was less materialistic in 2005. Yes, MySpace was around, but again, Social Media in general was used much less than now and it was only starting to begin with MySpace and YouTube.

Ok first  Myspace was the equivalent to facebook in 2005.  Now social media is used by everyone but in 2005 it was still big not as big as now because it didnt evolve yet.  The reason why there is no rock is because Dance pop supplements  the bad economy and ppl want to feel good.    Ok so Laffy Taffy  Bring em out and  Soulja boy dont classify as selfless?  At least sexy and i know it makes u happy and is a fun song ( yes the song sucks) im saying in a gen concept.  Not true Cell phones were used by 8 year olds.  I saw a  8 year old in 2006 on  a t mobile samsung phone so u cant say kids didnt use phones.

Written By: Creeder on 07/06/12 at 2:44 pm

I miss the serious music that was good to both youngs and adults, not like today when only pre-teen girls listen to it.
In the 2000s technology controlled 50-60% of our lives, and today we live in a digital world.
And also the time before that economic crisis.... so many people lost their jobs. :(

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/06/12 at 3:17 pm

Ok first  Myspace was the equivalent to facebook in 2005.  Now social media is used by everyone but in 2005 it was still big not as big as now because it didnt evolve yet.  The reason why there is no rock is because Dance pop supplements  the bad economy and ppl want to feel good.    Ok so Laffy Taffy  Bring em out and  Soulja boy dont classify as selfless?  At least sexy and i know it makes u happy and is a fun song ( yes the song sucks) im saying in a gen concept.  Not true Cell phones were used by 8 year olds.  I saw a  8 year old in 2006 on  a t mobile samsung phone so u cant say kids didnt use phones.

Perhaps MySpace was big, But I still think Facebook is bigger today than how MySpace was then and MySpace was just a little more innocent.  ;D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/06/12 at 3:27 pm

I remember making my myspace profile in the Spring of 2005 as I was graduating junior high. I also remember you were supposed to be at least 16, so everyone just lied their age upward by 2 years ;D

Myspace was the dominant social network among high schoolers until about early 2007ish when Facebook stopped requiring a college e-mail address. I remember my friend convincing me to sign up in March of that year (I was a sophomore at that time) and hardly anyone else from my school had it yet (I went to a pretty large school for the record). I don't think Facebook became the phenomenon it is now until maybe '08.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/06/12 at 3:31 pm

Today there's a lot of mean spiritedness of anyone who isn't the perfect overachiever or has any roadblocks in life.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/06/12 at 3:33 pm

I should also mention fashion as well. People are wearing tighter clothes since 2005 and fashion was a little baggier in 2005 I found, but now it seems tighter, blander, and more colorful. There is more of Justin Beibers hair. More tight clothes today than 2005 as well.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/06/12 at 5:06 pm

I remember making my myspace profile in the Spring of 2005 as I was graduating junior high. I also remember you were supposed to be at least 16, so everyone just lied their age upward by 2 years ;D

Myspace was the dominant social network among high schoolers until about early 2007ish when Facebook stopped requiring a college e-mail address. I remember my friend convincing me to sign up in March of that year (I was a sophomore at that time) and hardly anyone else from my school had it yet (I went to a pretty large school for the record). I don't think Facebook became the phenomenon it is now until maybe '08.

Yeah myspace was just plain fun . I would argue Myspace got spam in  late feb/march of 2007 and it drove alot of ppl away

Written By: Starde on 07/06/12 at 6:36 pm

Yeah, I remember when Myspace was the rage back in 2005. I remember being a freshman in high school that year getting to know people in my class and pretty much everyone was talking about Myspace. I never got one. In fact, I never got an account on a social media website until a few weeks before my high school graduation when one of my friends persuaded me to get a Facebook account so that we can stay in touch. I finally gave in and made one just for that reason. So I can definitely say that I was basically social media free throughout my high school years until I got to college.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/06/12 at 7:15 pm

Yeah, I remember when Myspace was the rage back in 2005. I remember being a freshman in high school that year getting to know people in my class and pretty much everyone was talking about Myspace. I never got one. In fact, I never got an account on a social media website until a few weeks before my high school graduation when one of my friends persuaded me to get a Facebook account so that we can stay in touch. I finally gave in and made one just for that reason. So I can definitely say that I was basically social media free throughout my high school years until I got to college.

what year did u get facebook

Written By: Howard on 07/06/12 at 7:51 pm

when did Blackberries come out? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/06/12 at 7:53 pm

Come on, technology was already really really big in 2005. It's not that I would associate the year with the 'good old' analog times  ::) . Cell phones were everywhere - it just weren't so many smartphones; but where is the big difference?

Most poeple didn't have facebook in 2005? Facebook was not commercially available before late '06, so nearly NOBODY had facebook back then.

at that time there was Myspace.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/12 at 7:55 pm

I miss the serious music that was good to both youngs and adults, not like today when only pre-teen girls listen to it.
In the 2000s technology controlled 50-60% of our lives, and today we live in a digital world.
And also the time before that economic crisis.... so many people lost their jobs. :(

that's the way the world is now, technology has taken over our lives.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 07/06/12 at 8:01 pm

All my friends have moved on to Twitter now. I would make one, but I'm too lazy.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/06/12 at 9:29 pm

when did Blackberries come out? ???

early 2004

Written By: Starde on 07/07/12 at 1:12 am

what year did u get facebook

2009. I honestly just didn't see the appeal with social media like Facebook and Myspace at the time. I just preferred contacting people via email, instant messaging or by phone.

Written By: Starde on 07/07/12 at 1:21 am

Ahh, yes... The Motorola Razr was my first cellphone. I had the silver one. Then I remember getting a purple Sidekick about halfway through freshmen year of high school when it was the coolest thing to own on the block. I thought it was so damn cool how I was able to go on actual websites on my phone. I think I spent more time browsing the web on my Sidekick than actually calling people. :P

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/07/12 at 3:25 am

Does anybody remember Bebo? I remember Bebo being popular with my junior high classmates circa 2005-2006ish.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/12 at 6:39 am

early 2004

I see some people use blackberries these days.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/07/12 at 1:08 pm

blackberrys are still used today  the ones from 2004 were like sheeshty sidekick internet

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/12 at 1:16 pm

I had a Blackberry from 2000 to 2003.  8)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/07/12 at 1:53 pm

I had a Blackberry from 2000 to 2003.  8)

did u

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/12 at 2:29 pm

did u

Yeah it was the kind that did emails only. 

http://www.firedispatch.com/pr/blackberry.jpg

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/07/12 at 3:05 pm

looks  like crap

Written By: Howard on 07/07/12 at 7:26 pm

blackberrys are still used today  the ones from 2004 were like sheeshty sidekick internet

is that with the talk and text? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/07/12 at 7:27 pm

Yeah it was the kind that did emails only. 

http://www.firedispatch.com/pr/blackberry.jpg

How were you able to see the small words? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/12 at 7:32 pm

looks  like crap

Nowadays yes.  But back then this was super high tech.  All the shmucks were sporting pagers and I had full blown email.  8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/12 at 7:33 pm

How were you able to see the small words? ???

You could pick a bigger font.  Back then I did not need reading glasses too.  ;D

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/07/12 at 8:35 pm

You could pick a bigger font.  Back then I did not need reading glasses too.  ;D

still looks like CRap lol

Written By: DarthScorpio12 on 09/18/12 at 1:01 am

I'm pretty sure mid decade won't start until 2014-2016.

It's like this early 10s (2010-2013), mid 10s (2014-2016), and late 10s (2017-2019)

Written By: StrawberrySundae on 09/18/12 at 1:18 am

I'm pretty sure mid decade won't start until 2014-2016.

It's like this early 10s (2010-2013), mid 10s (2014-2016), and late 10s (2017-2019)

Yup, a possibility. Women's intuition says 2013 will be different though.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/18/12 at 2:03 am

the netherlands is stuck in 2005  its not like that  as much here in America

So "Feel Good Inc.", "Suger, We're Going Down", and "Golddigger" are hit songs? lol. I should take a trip to the Netherlands so I can feel like I've traveled back in time to 2005. I do remember being in Paris that year, and the women were dressed nice, much nicer than the look that was in style in the States (at least in Socal). Either Paris was stuck in the 90's, or they were ahead as women started dressing nicer in the States later on.

All this talk about 2005 make me miss that year even more, especially MySpace. That site was the highlight of my life around that time. I remember using it like it was a dating site, and ended up meeting my now ex-wife on there. That year is even in my username, which is the year I joined this forum (the other part of my username is because of my favorite movie of that year, Batman Begins).

Written By: Martin on 09/18/12 at 4:32 am

I think the greaser subculture is due to a log-awaited overhaul. I mean recycling the 60s hippie/hipster look by rock bands and singers is so overdone, it gets on my nerves.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/18/12 at 4:55 am

I think the biggest artists of the mid-2010s will be:

Carly Rae Jepsen probably will overtake Katy Perry and Taylor Swift since the public is sick of them and Carly has a bit of both of what they offer. Seriously I think Kiss will probably be the biggest album of late 2012 and 2013, probably spawning singles into early 2014.

Skrillex will continue to be massively popular though probably will only have one big radio hit.

Ellie Goulding will have a few other hits.

Lights will finally get a #1 song in the US and internationally. Maybe 'Toes' will be the song that gets her big.

Passion Pit will finally get a #1 song.

The 'old guard' of Rihanna/Katy/Taylor/Drake/Lil Wayne/Eminem etc will fade away and only be capable of minor hits.

I can only hope, at least.  8)

Subject: Unfortunately!

Written By: belmont22 on 09/18/12 at 4:57 am

As far as fashion? Probably more of the same, lots of cyan, pink, combat boots, tattoos (unfortunately  8-P ), gauge piercings (again, unfortunately!), checkered hipster shirts, big hipster glasses, boot-cut and skinny jeans, etc. And I think politically World War 3 might start, I'm not even joking. Unfortunately!

Subject: Re: Unfortunately!

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/18/12 at 12:21 pm

As far as fashion? Probably more of the same, lots of cyan, pink, combat boots, tattoos (unfortunately  8-P ), gauge piercings (again, unfortunately!), checkered hipster shirts, big hipster glasses, boot-cut and skinny jeans, etc. And I think politically World War 3 might start, I'm not even joking. Unfortunately!

nah

Written By: Creeder on 09/19/12 at 2:08 am

I think Carly Rae Jepsen is a one hit wonder.
Katy Perry will dominate the pop scene of the 2010s

Written By: belmont22 on 09/19/12 at 3:12 am

Dunno man, I just finished downloading her album that came out last night and it has some killer tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6OPegg4d9Y

Written By: Creeder on 09/19/12 at 6:39 am

Dunno man, I just finished downloading her album that came out last night and it has some killer tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6OPegg4d9Y

We'll see, she has good songs, if she is lucky she can become really big.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 6:54 am

Exactly, I think the divas will dominate the 2010's.

Written By: Creeder on 09/19/12 at 1:59 pm

I really like the new album by the indie rock band Imagine Dragons - Night Visions. Another example of mid 2010's indie explosion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQObQUZPIv8

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/19/12 at 3:12 pm

I really like the new album by the indie rock band Imagine Dragons - Night Visions. Another example of mid 2010's indie explosion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQObQUZPIv8

like i said NEO 60s and you ppl would not listen  XD

http://images.sonymusicdigital.com/autoimage/display/zoom/media.sonymusicd2c.com/dda/27762289/a9fbce6ccd0b6ef61e971d1c004d8118.jpg/a9fbce6ccd0b6ef61e971d1c004d8118

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/19/12 at 9:11 pm

I think the 2010s will be a relaxed decade. Very laid back feel. Maybe back to dark, baggy clothes. The reason I say this is because 90s will be very nostalgic throughout the 2010's, like 80s was in the 00s, so it will have a similar vibe to the 90s. But of course, it will also have it's own distinct culture as well. Music will hopefully improve.

I'm actually kind of exited because this will pretty much be my first time transitioning into another era. Since I was born in 1995, the only culture I've known my whole life so far was 00s culture which even very slowly started from late 90s/early 00s, and that's the only culture I've experienced and that I'm used to. It will be cool to see my first transition to a new era. I wonder how different the era will be and pop culture will be.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/19/12 at 10:19 pm

I think the 2010s will be a relaxed decade. Very laid back feel. Maybe back to dark, baggy clothes. The reason I say this is because 90s will be very nostalgic throughout the 2010's, like 80s was in the 00s, so it will have a similar vibe to the 90s. But of course, it will also have it's own distinct culture as well. Music will hopefully improve.

I'm actually kind of exited because this will pretty much be my first time transitioning into another era. Since I was born in 1995, the only culture I've known my whole life so far was 00s culture which even very slowly started from late 90s/early 00s, and that's the only culture I've experienced and that I'm used to. It will be cool to see my first transition to a new era. I wonder how different the era will be and pop culture will be.

I really hope the 90's don't come back, since their vibe carried over as late as 2005 in a lot of ways.

Written By: Emman on 09/19/12 at 11:11 pm

I don't think the 2010s as a whole will resonate the '90s, I think pop culture will be sickly sweet and bubbly, there will be few rough edges left(even in hip-hop). I look at it like a 21st century version of the 1930s-1940s, where the world situation was absolutely terrible but the culture was quite upbeat, I mean if you listened to swing music and didn't have any foreknowledge of the great depression it'd be hard to gauge the '30s as a downbeat time period.

The '90s tried to take shock value to it's limit, there was Marilyn Manson, serial killer movies, gangsta rap, and The Jerry Springer Show. I think the 2010s will start to be a kind of reversal of that.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/20/12 at 12:38 am

When pop is all four on the floor 24/7  (2008-2012)  then the exact opposite has to happen (more relaxed). Alot of ppl are sick of the same songs sounding the same on the radio .  Right now we are at the end of the 08-12 era and going into a  more relaxed era  with 60s sounding psychedelic indie pop , More serious Rap, & pop minus dance sounds    Its funny how much you missed the relaxed era until its gone.  I was born in 88 & i def noticed a shift  in 1999 it felt different so for you  you are in for a treat

Written By: Shiv on 09/20/12 at 10:49 am

I don't think the 2010s as a whole will resonate the '90s, I think pop culture will be sickly sweet and bubbly, there will be few rough edges left(even in hip-hop). I look at it like a 21st century version of the 1930s-1940s, where the world situation was absolutely terrible but the culture was quite upbeat, I mean if you listened to swing music and didn't have any foreknowledge of the great depression it'd be hard to gauge the '30s as a downbeat time period.

The '90s tried to take shock value to it's limit, there was Marilyn Manson, serial killer movies, gangsta rap, and The Jerry Springer Show. I think the 2010s will start to be a kind of reversal of that.

The 10s do seem drastically more sugar-coated. I think the 90s and 00s took shock value so far that it became boring and a lot of people, even younger people, miss the "innocence" of older pop cultures.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/21/12 at 12:35 pm

The 10s do seem drastically more sugar-coated. I think the 90s and 00s took shock value so far that it became boring and a lot of people, even younger people, miss the "innocence" of older pop cultures.

Definitely. There was this obsession with being 'bad-ass' that dominated the mid to late 90s through to the mid to late 00s and it was to me, very cheesy and annoying.  ::) But then again I've always been kind of a fan of girly and bubbly things.

Written By: tv on 09/21/12 at 12:42 pm

Gangsta Rap was shock value in the 90's? No not musically but the whole East-West Coast Fued kinda resulted in shock value towards the end when 2Pac and Biggie got killed and rap blew up in popularity after that.

Isn't Jerry Springer still on the air with his show after all those years? I don't watch his show. 

Written By: belmont22 on 09/21/12 at 12:44 pm

Gangsta Rap was shock value in the 90's? No not musically but the whole East-West Coast Fued kinda resulted in shock value towards the end when 2Pac and Biggie got killed and rap blew up in popularity after that.

Isn't Jerry Springer still on the air with his show after all those years? I don't watch his show.

Yeah I mean I guess Gangsta Rap wasn't any more profane than say, the Sex Pistols. Music with profanity wasn't a new thing in the 90's though the conservative media definitely made a panic over it especially then.  ;D I think starting in the early 00's though music became annoyingly profane, I mean even when the music made for little girls is Parental Advisory, that's just too much.

Written By: tv on 09/21/12 at 12:52 pm

Definitely. There was this obsession with being 'bad-ass' that dominated the mid to late 90s through to the mid to late 00s and it was to me, very cheesy and annoying.  ::) But then again I've always been kind of a fan of girly and bubbly things.
Being "bad-a**" that did exist 1996-1998 I think. After teen-pop blew up in 1999 being "bad-a** sort of wavered and flew into oblivion among everyday people. Some of the rappers and athletes sort of had a bad-a** image in the early 00's like Jay-Z or Allen Iverson for example but regular people being bad-a** in the early 00's maybe they were still some hanging around from the 1996-1998 period though. I remember baggy jeans looking stupid in 2005 but they were still some of those types around albiet a few.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/12 at 3:19 pm

Yes Jerry Springer is still on the air.

Written By: Shiv on 09/21/12 at 9:35 pm

Being "bad-a**" that did exist 1996-1998 I think. After teen-pop blew up in 1999 being "bad-a** sort of wavered and flew into oblivion among everyday people. Some of the rappers and athletes sort of had a bad-a** image in the early 00's like Jay-Z or Allen Iverson for example but regular people being bad-a** in the early 00's maybe they were still some hanging around from the 1996-1998 period though. I remember baggy jeans looking stupid in 2005 but they were still some of those types around albiet a few.

Nah, nu-metal kept it alive during the early 00s.

And yeah, nothing cornier than pop stars desperately trying to prove how "badass" they are. Glad that's waning.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/22/12 at 4:37 pm

The sickly sweet and bubbly feeling is fading in pop culture.  Rap is already ahead of it with
Kendrick Lamar and Ab Soul. Indie pop  (passion pit, Keshas new image, Fun) is making music
more serious which i like

Written By: belmont22 on 09/22/12 at 10:44 pm

The sickly sweet and bubbly feeling is fading in pop culture.  Rap is already ahead of it with
Kendrick Lamar and Ab Soul. Indie pop  (passion pit, Keshas new image, Fun) is making music
more serious which i like

Really because I find Passion Pit and Fun. pretty bubbly.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/22/12 at 11:04 pm

Really because I find Passion Pit and Fun. pretty bubbly.

Passion pit is indie  you might think that  they are bubbly due to them getting placement in a taco bell ad

Written By: joeman on 09/24/12 at 10:54 am

Agreed.  If anything, it would be more like the modern day 50s if it is true that the Millennial Generation(will be in our 20s and 30s) is a reflection of the WWII Gen.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/24/12 at 11:08 pm

Agreed.  If anything, it would be more like the modern day 50s if it is true that the Millennial Generation(will be in our 20s and 30s) is a reflection of the WWII Gen.

true

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/25/12 at 12:50 am

Maybe the 2010's may sound like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eWfRjyp2Nc

A more laid back and relaxed feel. That would be a nice and cool culture and this video kinda brings out the 90's too so 90's nostalgia may play a big role throughout the 2010's as well, alsomuch more of a relaxed vibe.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/25/12 at 3:18 pm

A lot of people here say they think it will be a more laidback and relaxed era in the mid 2010s.  Personally, I wonder whether this will actually happen or not.  I think a lot of people here WANT it to be a relaxed era, but what people want doesn't necessarily reflect what will really happen.  it might wind up the opposite of relaxed.  A bad economy with no real recovery in sight, the continuing global unrest that seems to show no signs of abating, and other stuff like that certainly doesn't seem to suggest a more relaxed, laid back era.  Also, many people are just as materialistic as ever, just look at the iphone 5 release.  Not as materialistic as in the 00s I would say, but I'd argue that largely has more to do with a lack of money due to the economy than with some collective rejection of materialism.

I'm not saying a relaxed era isn't impossible, but I just don't see it as likely as many of the people here say.  A lot of people here also thought back in the late 00s/2010 period that there would be a huge, anti-00s backlash like the anti-80s backlash of the 90s.  It's 2012 now, the 80s backlash had started by this point in the 90s.  I'm not seeing any anti-00s backlash.  For anyone who is going to mention Indie, that was already on the up-and-up in the late 00s if anyone was paying attention to music beyond the Top 40.  The 00s are outdated, but not completely rejected (more like ignored really).

Written By: tv on 09/25/12 at 4:40 pm

Nah, nu-metal kept it alive during the early 00s.

And yeah, nothing cornier than pop stars desperately trying to prove how "badass" they are. Glad that's waning.
Oh yeah stuff like Limp Bizkit(i.e. Fred Durst) thinking they were bad-a**. Thats looks funny now. Kid Rock was kinda of a cool bad-a** back in the early 00's except for his fight at "The Wafflehouse" back then!

Written By: belmont22 on 09/25/12 at 5:40 pm

A lot of people here say they think it will be a more laidback and relaxed era in the mid 2010s.  Personally, I wonder whether this will actually happen or not.  I think a lot of people here WANT it to be a relaxed era, but what people want doesn't necessarily reflect what will really happen.  it might wind up the opposite of relaxed.  A bad economy with no real recovery in sight, the continuing global unrest that seems to show no signs of abating, and other stuff like that certainly doesn't seem to suggest a more relaxed, laid back era.  Also, many people are just as materialistic as ever, just look at the iphone 5 release.  Not as materialistic as in the 00s I would say, but I'd argue that largely has more to do with a lack of money due to the economy than with some collective rejection of materialism.

I'm not saying a relaxed era isn't impossible, but I just don't see it as likely as many of the people here say.  A lot of people here also thought back in the late 00s/2010 period that there would be a huge, anti-00s backlash like the anti-80s backlash of the 90s.  It's 2012 now, the 80s backlash had started by this point in the 90s.  I'm not seeing any anti-00s backlash.  For anyone who is going to mention Indie, that was already on the up-and-up in the late 00s if anyone was paying attention to music beyond the Top 40.  The 00s are outdated, but not completely rejected (more like ignored really).

I don't think there's a conscious backlash of the "two thousands" because nobody knows what to call 2000-2009, anything after 2000 is just seen as the '21st century' to most people. But with that said, I do think there is a backlash against the 00's in the sense that baggy pants are out, neon is back in, hip hop is becoming less popular and there's a general idea that today's pop culture "sucks".

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/25/12 at 6:38 pm

I don't think there's a conscious backlash of the "two thousands" because nobody knows what to call 2000-2009, anything after 2000 is just seen as the '21st century' to most people. But with that said, I do think there is a backlash against the 00's in the sense that baggy pants are out, neon is back in, hip hop is becoming less popular and there's a general idea that today's pop culture "sucks".

What do you mean nobody knows what to call 2000-2009? Try putting "noughties" into a google search.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/25/12 at 7:03 pm

You already said it. You call it the "two thousands". You call this decade the "twenty tens" .

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/25/12 at 7:04 pm

What do you mean nobody knows what to call 2000-2009? Try putting "noughties" into a google search.

That or simply "The 2000's" or the "00's"  ;D There's no question as to what to call it and people are not wondering that. It is known what it's called by everyone. It's simply the Two-Thousands/Oh-Oh's. This decade is the Twenty-Tens/Ten's. Just like every other decade before it. (Eighties, Nineties)

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/25/12 at 7:33 pm

You may be right. We will not so for sure until a year or two.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/25/12 at 7:54 pm

You already said it. You call it the "two thousands". You call this decade the "twenty tens" .

That logic is flawed. "Two thousands" can arguably refer to today. While most people would say "twenty-twelve" some still say "two thousand and twelve". And consider this: what is 1900-1909? The "nineteen hundreds"? oh but wait...you can say that the World War 2 took place from 1939 to 1945...they are 19XX years so they can technically be called nineteen hundreds as well.

So the use of the term "two thousands" is WRONG and the people that use it, have refused to look at the bigger picture. Noughties at least, give a carry over name after the eighties, nineties etc. This decade is the tenties otherwise you ruin  the ____ties tradition for decade names.

Written By: Emman on 09/25/12 at 7:59 pm

Yeah I'm starting to call the '00s the noughties.

I call the current decade the twenty tens.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/25/12 at 8:34 pm

That logic is flawed. "Two thousands" can arguably refer to today. While most people would say "twenty-twelve" some still say "two thousand and twelve". And consider this: what is 1900-1909? The "nineteen hundreds"? oh but wait...you can say that the World War 2 took place from 1939 to 1945...they are 19XX years so they can technically be called nineteen hundreds as well.

So the use of the term "two thousands" is WRONG and the people that use it, have refused to look at the bigger picture. Noughties at least, give a carry over name after the eighties, nineties etc. This decade is the tenties otherwise you ruin  the ____ties tradition for decade names.

Doesn't matter what is technically right, about 90% of people say "two-thousands" so it's fair to say the decade is known as the 2000's because that's what everyone refers it as.

By the way, this is off topic. But does anybody know why this Forum is called "In the 00's" if we are in the 2010's?  ???

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/25/12 at 8:45 pm

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/25/12 at 8:49 pm

Okay, someone is clearly meddling with the comments I wrote a comment about an antique and whether or not some would know automatically if it was from 1800-1809 or if they'd have to ask to know for sure if someone said "eighteen hundreds" and the problem it can cause even if most people say "two thousands" "noughties/twenty-noughties" is distinguishes from 2000-2999 or "two thousand and twelve".

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/25/12 at 8:58 pm

Personally, I think they should be called the zeroes and the tens.

00 zero --> zeroes
10 ten --> tens
20 twenty --> twenties
30 thirty --> thirties
80 eighty --> eighties
90 ninety --> nineties

I've never actually heard anyone say naughties in person before, only here. I would assume most people would say "tens" more than tenties or teens. Also "eighteen hundreds", "nineteen hundreds", etc. makes me think of the whole century, not just the first decade.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/25/12 at 9:03 pm

This is the first time I've ever seen the term "tenties".  :o

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/25/12 at 9:42 pm

Personally, I think they should be called the zeroes and the tens.

00 zero --> zeroes
10 ten --> tens
20 twenty --> twenties
30 thirty --> thirties
80 eighty --> eighties
90 ninety --> nineties

I've never actually heard anyone say naughties in person before, only here. I would assume most people would say "tens" more than tenties or teens. Also "eighteen hundreds", "nineteen hundreds", etc. makes me think of the whole century, not just the first decade.

Noughties is actually quite common. Try a google search.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/25/12 at 10:10 pm

I call 1900-1909 the ninteen hundreds. If I want to refer to the entire 19xx time period I just say "The 20th century". 1939 would be the ninteen hundreds in a broader sense but in a more narrow sense it would be the ninteen thirties which would be more accurate. For your WW2 scenario I would call it the 20th century, not ninteen hundreds. I don't really like the term noughties. It sounds sort of lame whereas two thousands sounds futuristic.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/25/12 at 10:57 pm

As soon as we hit 2020 the confusion will all stop. We will be in the 20's. It's gonna be so cool going back to the usual way of naming decades. Watch out, 20's kids are already starting to be born this year!  :D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/25/12 at 11:10 pm

I call 1900-1909 the ninteen hundreds. If I want to refer to the entire 19xx time period I just say "The 20th century". 1939 would be the ninteen hundreds in a broader sense but in a more narrow sense it would be the ninteen thirties which would be more accurate. For your WW2 scenario I would call it the 20th century, not ninteen hundreds. I don't really like the term noughties. It sounds sort of lame whereas two thousands sounds futuristic.

What if I said "People in the sixteen hundreds were very superstitious", would you assume I meant 1600-1609 or 1600-1699?

And Jenny, like I said, I've seen it online but have never heard anyone say it in person. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Written By: Brian06 on 09/25/12 at 11:13 pm

What if I said "People in the sixteen hundreds were very superstitious", would you assume I meant 1600-1609 or 1600-1699?

And Jenny, like I said, I've seen it online but have never heard anyone say it in person. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Yeah I've seen noughties online too occasionally but it's not something people say in public and that everybody on the street is going to understand IMO.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/26/12 at 12:36 am

Yeah I've seen noughties online too occasionally but it's not something people say in public and that everybody on the street is going to understand IMO.

That's because people ruin it by calling it the "two thousands". I had a comment here before that mysteriously vanished that was similar to what someone said about superstitious people in the 1600s (1600-09 or 1600-99?).

If someone was in a conversation with you and said "the nineteen hundreds were better than the two thousands" would you assume they meant today (2012) or be talking about 2000-2009?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/26/12 at 12:57 am

I would assume they meant everything post-Y2K, especially in that example since they'd be comparing it to a whole other century.

"Two thousands" might actually work for 2000-2009 though now that I think about it, since the years were pronounced "two thousand four", "two thousand eight", etc., whereas in the 2010s there's been an increasing trend towards saying "twenty twelve", "twenty thirteen", etc.

Written By: Henk on 09/26/12 at 5:09 am

If someone was in a conversation with you and said "the nineteen hundreds were better than the two thousands" would you assume they meant today (2012) or be talking about 2000-2009?

I would assume he/she was a decadologist.

Written By: Howard on 09/26/12 at 7:51 am

or you could call it the two-thousand tens.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/26/12 at 11:39 am

Or you could just not care so much about what other people choose to call a particular decade and move on to more important things.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/26/12 at 11:52 am

Or you could just not care so much about what other people choose to call a particular decade and move on to more important things.

i call it the 2010's

Written By: belmont22 on 09/26/12 at 12:18 pm

In that case, we wouldn't be posting here  ;D To be honest though, I don't really care too much anymore if this decade is "recognized" I actually kind of just see it all as early 21st century now.

Written By: Howard on 09/26/12 at 1:10 pm

I agree.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 10/04/12 at 2:08 am

Honestly, after the experience of previous years, I see the 2010's not changing drastically as people say. I truly think the drastic change already occurred in 2008. There was never such a shift and change in pop culture that took place since like 1997. I don't think we will see a huge difference for the mid 2010's Definitely there will be some difference in music like always as we make our way further into the decade but the whole music idea and pop culture won't change too much I don't think, it will only become larger and more noticeable I think. The late 00's changed everything form Obama becoming president, to the economic meltdown, to the change in pop culture and to the change of music. There are some 00's holdovers now but it will all be gone soon as we move forward in the 2010's. I think we have to accept that throughout the decade of the 2010's, there will always be dance/electro style pop as that's what made the big cultural change from 2008 and it's still fresh and new. Not saying people aren't getting bored of it, but there's lot's of potential if they tweak it a bit and use less boring autotune and improve it. Dubstep is a very new and fresh genre with lot's of potential and I see that becoming huge throughout the 2010's. Of course, Indie/Alternative will keep growing and becoming in style and hipsters will be the new Emo maybe. I see the 2010's as a "colorful" decade for some reason as opposed to the dark 90's/00's, but I do see a lot o 90's nostalgia that will occur during the decade. I think the 2010's will have the same vibe as now only more clear and distinguishable to fit as a description for the decade.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/04/12 at 2:33 pm

Honestly, after the experience of previous years, I see the 2010's not changing drastically as people say. I truly think the drastic change already occurred in 2008. There was never such a shift and change in pop culture that took place since like 1997. I don't think we will see a huge difference for the mid 2010's Definitely there will be some difference in music like always as we make our way further into the decade but the whole music idea and pop culture won't change too much I don't think, it will only become larger and more noticeable I think. The late 00's changed everything form Obama becoming president, to the economic meltdown, to the change in pop culture and to the change of music. There are some 00's holdovers now but it will all be gone soon as we move forward in the 2010's. I think we have to accept that throughout the decade of the 2010's, there will always be dance/electro style pop as that's what made the big cultural change from 2008 and it's still fresh and new. Not saying people aren't getting bored of it, but there's lot's of potential if they tweak it a bit and use less boring autotune and improve it. Dubstep is a very new and fresh genre with lot's of potential and I see that becoming huge throughout the 2010's. Of course, Indie/Alternative will keep growing and becoming in style and hipsters will be the new Emo maybe. I see the 2010's as a "colorful" decade for some reason as opposed to the dark 90's/00's, but I do see a lot o 90's nostalgia that will occur during the decade. I think the 2010's will have the same vibe as now only more clear and distinguishable to fit as a description for the decade.

I agree with most of that. I think even the 2020's might be a lot like now actually.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 10/21/12 at 11:07 pm

I agree with most of that. I think even the 2020's might be a lot like now actually.

no

Written By: whistledog on 10/24/12 at 5:23 pm

The vibe of 2013 - 2016 will be pink rainbows and copper pennies.  Why?

BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!  http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/webby/angry.gif

Written By: thenewtattoo on 10/24/12 at 8:07 pm

The vibe of 2013 - 2016 will be pink rainbows and copper pennies.  Why?

BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!  http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/webby/angry.gif

are you 12 lol

Written By: belmont22 on 10/24/12 at 8:38 pm

I highly doubt 2013 or even 2016 will be noticeably different from today, except more things from the Millennial era (1993-2009) will die out.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/24/12 at 11:39 pm

Most of this is on topic.  Only thing I will say is I believe indie/alternative rock will slowly replace electropop as the dominant genre on Top 40.  It will happen slowly though and not a huge reaction like the shift from hip-hop to electropop in 2008 and 2009.  A lot of it depends on how Lady Gaga's next album does.  Hipsters are already the new emo, possibly even bigger.  Hipster is more than a fad its a lifestyle, and the '10s lifestyle and the hipster lifestyle are synonymous. 

Check for new replies or respond here...