inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Call Me Maybe: #1 song of the early 2010s?

Written By: bchris02 on 07/11/12 at 7:40 pm

I think this song is the defining song of this era in music.  I think this song is to today what "Bye Bye Bye" by Nsync was to the early 2000s or what "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga was to the late '00s.  Anybody agree?

Subject: Re: Call Me Maybe: #1 song of the early 2010s?

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/11/12 at 10:45 pm

Nahh I think Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO get's the title. I mean it's still on the Top 40 even from last year. Katy Perry also has some big songs from the early 2010s. Call Me Maybe is one of biggest though and it's definitely one of the top songs. I like the song too and she's Canadian.  :D

Written By: Creeder on 07/12/12 at 4:37 am

I agree. This song will stay forever with this era.

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/12 at 6:37 pm

I'm all for Canadian Content, and wouldn't mind if 'Call Me Maybe' was the #1 song of the early 2010s, but I think that honour goes go to 'Party Rock Anthem' by LMFAO
It's currently held in the US Hot 100 for 68 consecutive weeks and was one of the rare appearances in today's times that an electronic song was not only able to top the chart, but spent more than 1 week at the top.

Here in Canada, I'd say the defining song is 'Stereo Love' by Edward Maya.  With 2 different vocalists, the song spent a total of 67 weeks in the Canadian Hot 100.  Prior to this song, I'd never heard anything like it in the North American mainstream, and ever since, songs like these are alot of what I hear on the radio and I really like it!

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/12/12 at 7:05 pm

Nahh I think Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO get's the title. I mean it's still on the Top 40 even from last year. Katy Perry also has some big songs from the early 2010s. Call Me Maybe is one of biggest though and it's definitely one of the top songs. I like the song too and she's Canadian.  :D

party rock anthem almost killed Electro pop

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/12 at 7:20 pm

No it didn't

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/13/12 at 1:22 am

I agree. I don't like the song either. But, it is very popular still.

Written By: gibbo on 07/13/12 at 2:08 am

I don't know ... there was a time (not too long ago) where all I heard was Adele's 'Rolling In The Deep'!!  Call Me Maybe is used a lot though on tv etc... :-\\

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/13/12 at 2:17 am

I don't know ... there was a time (not too long ago) where all I heard was Adele's 'Rolling In The Deep'!!  Call Me Maybe is used a lot though on tv etc... :-\\

Oh yeah! I forgot about that song! Never mind, Rolling in the Deep is the best!  :)

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/16/12 at 3:15 am

I think its the #1 song of summer 2012, but not the early 2010's. I like that song, but more so, I love Carly Rae Jepsen herself. She is gorgeous! I've always had a thing for Canadian girls :).

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/16/12 at 1:15 pm

No it didn't

yes it did

Written By: gibbo on 07/16/12 at 9:55 pm

No it didn't

yes it did

Hmmm ... you both put across very good arguments!  ;D

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/17/12 at 7:20 pm

party rock anthem is when dance pop jumped the shark

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 07/17/12 at 10:18 pm

"Party Rock Anthem" defines the transition into this decade.
"Call Me Maybe" defines the decade.

Until Anthem, LMFAO only produced the robotic, neo-Eighties type songs that are associated with the 00's. Party Rock Anthem is a pop-trance influenced song, which was just starting to become the norm in 2010. I've always considered it to be the turning point for 00's and '10's dance music; a 00's group that specialized in  squeaky, eighties-ish, really-plasticky-but-thats-what-makes-it-so-cool-type songs moving on to very melodic trance music.

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/12 at 10:35 pm

party rock anthem is when dance pop jumped the shark

No it wasn't

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/18/12 at 1:01 am

"Party Rock Anthem" defines the transition into this decade.
"Call Me Maybe" defines the decade.

I would say it's waay to early to make that argument. We haven't even reached the mid 10's yet...

Written By: Creeder on 07/18/12 at 2:24 am

"Call Me Maybe" is "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" to this generation.

Written By: Starde on 07/18/12 at 8:57 am

I would say it's waay to early to make that argument. We haven't even reached the mid 10's yet...

Agreed. In my opinion, "Call Me Maybe" is the "Bye Bye Bye" of the early 2010s. Annoying, but painfully catchy.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 11:27 am

No it wasn't

yes it was

it was used in every ad for products and almost made edm a joke on message boards  (it didnt)  but it was close

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/12 at 12:06 pm

It's definitely one of the more popular songs of 2012.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 1:39 pm

It's definitely one of the more popular songs of 2012.

a popular song that almost killed edm

Written By: belmont22 on 07/18/12 at 2:59 pm

I'd say it's the biggest song of 2012 possibly, but probably not of the whole first 3 years of the '10s.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 3:12 pm

I'd say it's the biggest song of 2012 possibly, but probably not of the whole first 3 years of the '10s.

i agree

Written By: belmont22 on 07/18/12 at 3:55 pm

BTW, isn't that Carly a looker?  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/18/12 at 10:22 pm

That isn't an argument, it's just contradiction.

kQFKtI6gn9Y

Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/18/12 at 10:47 pm

What about "Somebody That I Used to Know"? I'd say the two are neck and neck.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/12 at 10:49 pm

What about "Somebody That I Used to Know"? I'd say the two are neck and neck.

I'd say yes, they are both kinda equal on the scale of popularity.

Written By: Creeder on 07/19/12 at 1:08 am

Songs that define the early 2010s (2008-2012):
- The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
- Eminem - Not Afraid & - Love the Way You Lie
- Everything by Lady GaGa
- Everything by Katy Perry
- Everything by Bruno Mars
- Latest Rihanna hits
- Ke$ha - Tik Tok & We R Who We R
- Usher - OMG
- Wiz Khalifa - Black & Yellow
- Far East Movement - Like A G6
- Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
- M83 - Midnight City
- Adele - Rolling in the Deep & Someone Like You
- LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem & Sexy and I Know it
- Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
- Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera - Moves Like Jagger
- Fun - We Are Young
- Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know
- Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/19/12 at 1:10 am

Songs that define the early 2010s (2008-2012):
- The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
- Eminem - Not Afraid & - Love the Way You Lie
- Everything by Lady GaGa
- Everything by Katy Perry
- Everything by Bruno Mars
- Latest Rihanna hits
- Ke$ha - Tik Tok & We R Who We R
- Usher - OMG
- Wiz Khalifa - Black & Yellow
- Far East Movement - Like A G6
- Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
- Adele - Rolling in the Deep & Someone Like You
- LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem & Sexy and I Know it
- Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
- Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera - Moves Like Jagger
- Fun - We Are Young
- Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know
- Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe

What about Dragonette?  :(

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/20/12 at 12:52 am

Call Me Maybe actually came out in 2011. It was doing well in the Canadian Top 40 in late 2011 and it was released on October, 2011.

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/12 at 4:46 pm

What about Dragonette?  :(

'Hello' failed to make the US Top 40, and it is the only mainstream hit for Dragonette in the US

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/20/12 at 8:17 pm

'Hello' failed to make the US Top 40, and it is the only mainstream hit for Dragonette in the US

That's true, Still, very good band.  :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/12 at 8:52 am

Carly Rae Jepsen sounds a little like a Jessie J. ripoff.

Written By: Creeder on 07/21/12 at 2:41 pm

And Jessie J sounds like a Katy Perry ripoff. :o

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/21/12 at 6:42 pm

And Jessie J sounds like a Katy Perry ripoff. :o

jessie j is  ajoke

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/12 at 9:39 pm

Carly Rae had an album long before Jessie J did.  If anything, Jessie J sounds like a Carly Rae ripoff

Written By: belmont22 on 07/21/12 at 10:17 pm

I think Carly sounds a little bit like Taylor Swift. There is something a little bit country about her.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/21/12 at 11:25 pm

Carly is a pretty talented pop artist. Especially when compared to most today. She didn't get third place on Idol for nothing...

Written By: Creeder on 07/22/12 at 7:18 am

She didn't get third place on Idol for nothing...

I just checked that the winner of season 5 was Brian Melo, he is unknown now, but Carly is a superstar.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/22/12 at 11:08 am

I just checked that the winner of season 5 was Brian Melo, he is unknown now, but Carly is a superstar.

Wait til her album hits platinum and has more than 2  videos to call herself a superstar
very pre mature talk

Vanilla Ice was a superstar  quote and flopped on the 3rd single

Written By: Inertia on 07/22/12 at 12:44 pm

I don't even know this song. I'm so out of sync with popculture.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/22/12 at 1:21 pm

Carly is a pretty talented pop artist. Especially when compared to most today. She didn't get third place on Idol for nothing...

i didnt even knw she was on idol

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/22/12 at 8:34 pm

i didnt even knw she was on idol

Yup. Canadian Idol in 2007.  8)

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/25/12 at 3:52 am

I think Carly sounds a little bit like Taylor Swift. There is something a little bit country about her.

She sounds more like Skye Sweetnam (to me anyways), who is also Canadian, and also a little like Avril Lavigne.

Written By: belmont22 on 07/25/12 at 5:30 am

She sounds more like Skye Sweetnam (to me anyways), who is also Canadian, and also a little like Avril Lavigne.

What is it with Canada and their beautiful female singers?

Written By: Starde on 07/25/12 at 2:38 pm

Whoa, Skye Sweetnam! I remember her and this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W27v2XdCFA

What happened to her?

Written By: Creeder on 07/26/12 at 4:57 am

What happened to her?

She never make it big.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/12/12 at 8:30 am

It's almost 2013 and yeah, I can't think of any song with a larger cultural impact. Even if Party Rock Anthem or Teenage Dream or something like that may have charted longer (not sure), with all the parodies and everything else Call Me Maybe inspired I think it's far and away the biggest song of the past 3 years.

Written By: Coro Lady on 11/12/12 at 4:21 pm

It's almost 2013 and yeah, I can't think of any song with a larger cultural impact. Even if Party Rock Anthem or Teenage Dream or something like that may have charted longer (not sure), with all the parodies and everything else Call Me Maybe inspired I think it's far and away the biggest song of the past 3 years.

A better way to describe it is the most annoying song of the past 3 years.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/12/12 at 4:29 pm

It's almost 2013 and yeah, I can't think of any song with a larger cultural impact.

Agreed. Probably the song I would associate with the 2010-(not including) 2013 period most. 'Moves like Jagger' and 'Somebody that I used to know' are pretty close.

Written By: Starde on 11/12/12 at 5:32 pm

Agreed. Probably the song I would associate with the 2010-(not including) 2013 period most. 'Moves like Jagger' and 'Somebody that I used to know' are pretty close.

Same. I'd definitely add "Party Rock Anthem" to the mix.

Written By: Jquar on 11/12/12 at 6:20 pm

I actually think it's Rolling in the Deep. That song is over a year old and it still gets massive amounts of radio airplay. The other day I literally heard it on 3 different stations in a 20 minute period. Call Me Maybe is already almost off the radio where I live.

I also think Adele will stand the test of time much better than Carly Rae will, in 20 years I think young people will still appreciate Adele's music while any remaining Carly Rae fans will be long grown up.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/13/12 at 12:40 am

I actually think it's Rolling in the Deep. That song is over a year old and it still gets massive amounts of radio airplay. The other day I literally heard it on 3 different stations in a 20 minute period. Call Me Maybe is already almost off the radio where I live.

I also think Adele will stand the test of time much better than Carly Rae will, in 20 years I think young people will still appreciate Adele's music while any remaining Carly Rae fans will be long grown up.

Hmmmm, Rolling in the Deep had a ridiculously long run, but I think Call Me Maybe still had a bigger impact. I mean, how many parodies of Rolling in the Deep were made? Did someone try to find Obama uttering every word of the song?  ;D

I also think in terms of how it sounds, Call Me Maybe is more original to this era than Rolling In The Deep.

Written By: Jquar on 11/13/12 at 1:18 pm

Hmmmm, Rolling in the Deep had a ridiculously long run, but I think Call Me Maybe still had a bigger impact. I mean, how many parodies of Rolling in the Deep were made? Did someone try to find Obama uttering every word of the song?  ;D

I also think in terms of how it sounds, Call Me Maybe is more original to this era than Rolling In The Deep.

I don't know about that, I think Call Me Maybe could fit very easily into the Britney/Christina phase around 2000 or even into the rest of the 2000s. I don't see much to distinguish it from most other pop songs nowadays, just that it's a bit more bubblegum.

No doubt Call Me Maybe was a huge hit, but I think it bordered more on a novelty thing than a truly popular song, hence the parodies. I have a strong feeling that Adele and Gotye are going to still be on the radio well into the future, while Carly Rae will fade into relative obscurity.

Written By: Emman on 11/13/12 at 3:42 pm

I don't know about that, I think Call Me Maybe could fit very easily into the Britney/Christina phase around 2000 or even into the rest of the 2000s. I don't see much to distinguish it from most other pop songs nowadays, just that it's a bit more bubblegum.

No doubt Call Me Maybe was a huge hit, but I think it bordered more on a novelty thing than a truly popular song, hence the parodies. I have a strong feeling that Adele and Gotye are going to still be on the radio well into the future, while Carly Rae will fade into relative obscurity.

I think he was saying Call Me Maybe better represents the early '10s because it has more of a dance-pop/EDM sound(although still more on the bubblegum pop side) which has been dominant from the past 3-4 years, Rolling In The Deep is just so obviously retro and derivative and out of place from the autotune/techno-pop/dubstep sounds that have dominated mainstream music, it might as well have been released in 1964 ;D.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/13/12 at 3:48 pm

I think he was saying Call Me Maybe better represents the early '10s because it has more of a dance-pop/EDM sound(although still more on the bubblegum pop side) which has been dominant from the past 3-4 years, Rolling In The Deep is just so obviously retro and derivative and out of place from the autotune/techno-pop/dubstep sounds that have dominated mainstream music, it might as well have been released in 1964 ;D.

Not only that but IMO there's absolutely nothing late 90s esque about Call Me Maybe. Of anything I'd say it has a disco-like production that harkens back to ABBA, but really it's unmistakably of this time.

Written By: Jquar on 11/13/12 at 6:25 pm

Yeah Call Me Maybe just sounds like bubble gum pop music to me, it's a far cry from David Guetta or Calvin Harris or even Lady Gaga. I think Call Me Maybe could have been released in any of the last few decades, it has a bit of synth but it's far from techno-pop.

Written By: Jquar on 11/13/12 at 6:29 pm

Not only that but IMO there's absolutely nothing late 90s esque about Call Me Maybe. Of anything I'd say it has a disco-like production that harkens back to ABBA, but really it's unmistakably of this time.

I'm not sure what originality you're seeing with it. It sounds pretty much like any of Taylor Swift, Britney Spears, JoJo, Jessica Simpson, Robyn etc. all of whom released material in the late 90s or 2000s.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/14/12 at 5:05 am

I'm not sure what originality you're seeing with it. It sounds pretty much like any of Taylor Swift, Britney Spears, JoJo, Jessica Simpson, Robyn etc. all of whom released material in the late 90s or 2000s.

If you say so me son.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/15/12 at 1:12 am

Nope, not even for the year. I predict Somebody that I used to know will be the song of the year with Gangnam Style in second and call me maybe in third. Early 2010's who know's though, definitely not Call Me Maybe, despite it being a huge hit. I don't see her as being that successful in the future but who knows. Perhaps she will be a one hit wonder (or two hit) internationally. I don't know that's my guess by following the billboard top 100, it looks like it will hover around the third spot.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/15/12 at 3:12 am

Nope, not even for the year. I predict Somebody that I used to know will be the song of the year with Gangnam Style in second and call me maybe in third. Early 2010's who know's though, definitely not Call Me Maybe, despite it being a huge hit. I don't see her as being that successful in the future but who knows. Perhaps she will be a one hit wonder (or two hit) internationally. I don't know that's my guess by following the billboard top 100, it looks like it will hover around the third spot.

I think More Than A Memory deserves to be a hit.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/15/12 at 3:13 am

I predict Somebody that I used to know will be the song of the year

'Somebody that I used to know' already won the Single of the Year award in 2011.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/19/12 at 9:14 am

'Somebody that I used to know' already won the Single of the Year award in 2011.

Didn't it come out in 2012?  ???

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/19/12 at 9:46 am

Didn't it come out in 2012?  ???

No:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_That_I_Used_to_Know

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/19/12 at 12:31 pm

It came out in January in the U.S., so for us it's a 2012 song.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/21/12 at 9:45 am

It came out in January in the U.S., so for us it's a 2012 song.

Kinda like Call Me Maybe came out in 2011 in Canada. I remember hearing it on the radio and it being already really popular in Canada in November, 2011.

Check for new replies or respond here...