inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 12 people killed in Colorado movie theater during Dark Knight Rises

Written By: snozberries on 07/20/12 at 10:08 am

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colorado-theater-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

A gunman threw tear gas into a crowded theater for the midnight screening of the new Batman flick "Dark Knight Rises".  He then opened fire killing 12 and wounding 38 movie goers. 

Apparently one of the injured victims is a 3 month old baby.  (Why was a 3 month old at a midnight movie screening of a loud action film?) 

Some people in the audience thought the thick smoke and gunfire was a special effect accompanying the movie, police and witnesses said.

Really? 3-D's not that good....not yet anyway.

Subject: Re: 12 people killed in Colorado movie theater during Dark Knight Rises

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/20/12 at 11:04 am

this makes me sick

Subject: Re: 12 people killed in Colorado movie theater during Dark Knight Rises

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/20/12 at 11:24 am

Just awful. Now people can't even go to a cinema or movie theater.

Written By: nally on 07/20/12 at 12:38 pm

Yeah, it sure is sad. :\'( :\'(

I heard that the suspect was a young man originally from San Diego, CA, who was attending a university to go for a medical degree, but dropped out. ::)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/20/12 at 12:51 pm

The whole world is going crazy.  :(

Written By: Milkof1996 on 07/20/12 at 12:52 pm

An interesting thing is that this happened 15 miles away from Columbine.
This man has serious problems shooting at unarmed people unprovoked.

Written By: Drbob31 on 07/20/12 at 1:14 pm

How can someone take the life of another?

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Aurora...such a senseless tragedy.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/20/12 at 1:21 pm

Also known as a typical day in Aurora.  :-\\ Crazy sheesh happens there all the time, especially back when I was living there.  :(

My heart goes out to the victims and their families.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/12 at 3:03 pm

I have a friend who lives in Aurora. Haven't talked to her in a LONG time. I hope she is ok.

Cat

Written By: warped on 07/20/12 at 3:11 pm

Sickening.

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/12 at 4:26 pm

From what I've been reading and seeing on the news, alot of people are not going to be seeing 'The Dark Knight Rises' now.

1 crazed gunman ruined it for everyone, and people lost their lives.  Going to the movies should be fun.  Things like this should not happen  :\'(

Written By: belmont22 on 07/20/12 at 4:40 pm

Why does this kind of stuff always happen in Colorado?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/12 at 4:45 pm

Of course, the NRA response is there were not enough guns in the theater!
::)

Written By: Step-chan on 07/20/12 at 4:47 pm

I heard of this just before leaving from work.

I'm trying to figure out what motive he had for doing something this horrible.

Loose screws in his head? For the evulz? Hatred of Batman?

Written By: snozberries on 07/20/12 at 4:52 pm

been listening to the audio recordings of the police and fire dispatcher handling of the incident.

They did a great job amid the chaos!!!

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/20/12 at 5:00 pm

My prayers are with those who were wounded. It's just so awful, people can't even go watch a movie now.

Written By: warped on 07/20/12 at 6:42 pm

I heard of this just before leaving from work.

I'm trying to figure out what motive he had for doing something this horrible.

Loose screws in his head? For the evulz? Hatred of Batman?

Loose screws in the head (or insane maniac)

Written By: Howard on 07/20/12 at 7:41 pm

The whole world is going crazy.  :(

I know the whole world has gone nuts, that's why I can watch films at home the hell with movie theaters they're too expensive. Watch DVDs at home.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/20/12 at 7:46 pm

I hope nobody I knew back in the day was involved.  :-\\

This picture sums up my feelings on this whole thing...

http://www.absolutefiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/dark.knight.characters..08.jpg

I am trying in vain to find a picture of video of the scene/shot from the Dark Knight where Batman (in left profile) stands on top of this tall skyscraper (in IMAX). He looks over Gotham and weeps/mourns; it has this blue hue and tense music. But I cannot find it anywhere online; shame. It's a great scene/shot. :( But the above picture works just the same to express my feelings.

Written By: snozberries on 07/20/12 at 9:23 pm

some of the art floating around the internet...

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Dark+Knight+Co.+Sad+events+in+my+home+state+of_37a6fb_3924829.jpg    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tLzgIzA-vB8/UAnhQXFshkI/AAAAAAAAH9U/nRNwAMiahrU/s1600/colorado-tribute-art.jpg

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23746131.jpg    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VXwRWtDP8aI/UAmeQPxA7WI/AAAAAAAAH8k/FIwQtpsxWVs/s1600/dark-night-in-colorado.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/531211_10151086560781999_1233393044_n.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/12 at 9:40 pm

I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker...
:o

Written By: snozberries on 07/20/12 at 9:42 pm

Dark Knight Rises" director Christopher Nolan just released the following statement regarding the massacre in Colorado:

"Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of 'The Dark Knight Rises', I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community.

I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime.

The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.

Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."

Written By: snozberries on 07/20/12 at 9:44 pm

so jackass was, apparently, recreating, or channeling a scene he saw in a trailer for the WB movie Ganster Squad

WB is scrambling to pull the trailer off the web but I found it here

I wonder if the scene will be removed from the film entirely or if the release date of the film will get pushed back.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/20/12 at 9:49 pm

so jackass was, apparently, recreating, or channeling a scene he saw in a trailer for the WB movie Ganster Squad

WB is scrambling to pull the trailer off the web but I found it here

I wonder if the scene will be removed from the film entirely or if the release date of the film will get pushed back.

I want him to come out as a huge fan of right-wing radio.  I'd love to hear those folks try and spin that one... claim he did it for Mitt Romney because Rush told him that Bane was a reference to Mitt's former firm.

Written By: snozberries on 07/20/12 at 9:50 pm

I want him to come out as a huge fan of right-wing radio.  I'd love to hear those folks try and spin that one... claim he did it for Mitt Romney because Rush told him that Bane was a reference to Mitt's former firm.

That would be great....

Written By: Starde on 07/20/12 at 10:38 pm

The sick **** even called himself the Joker! What the **** is wrong with people?! Can't even go to a movie theater without worrying about being killed! Heard over 70 people were shot (a person as young as a 4 month old baby was one of the victims) and 12 people were killed, including a 6 year old. I'm so disgusted and saddened about this whole tragedy. All these people were just trying watch one of the most anticipated movies of the decade and have a good time like other fans around the country. What's scary about this is that it could've happened ANYWHERE. I went to a midnight showing last night. It could've just as easily happened in my theater! This is just another example of how the world isn't ****ed up, but the people in it.

The victims of this horrible event are in my thoughts and prayers.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/20/12 at 11:28 pm

The sick **** even called himself the Joker! What the **** is wrong with people?!

Honestly?  That's the answer.  Some people really do just want to watch the world burn.

some of the art floating around the internet...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tLzgIzA-vB8/UAnhQXFshkI/AAAAAAAAH9U/nRNwAMiahrU/s1600/colorado-tribute-art.jpg

Owe you another karma point for covering that, but since I've already punched that ticket tonight, have some of this:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff272/danzaroni/NoSuperhoes.jpg

The gallows humor can wait a day; even I have my limits.

Written By: snozberries on 07/20/12 at 11:31 pm

Honestly?  That's the answer.  Some people really do just want to watch the world burn.

Owe you another karma point for covering that, but since I've already punched that ticket tonight, have some of this:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff272/danzaroni/NoSuperhoes.jpg

The gallows humor can wait a day; even I have my limits.

that's a good one too

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/20/12 at 11:37 pm

The sick **** even called himself the Joker! What the **** is wrong with people?! Can't even go to a movie theater without worrying about being killed!

Starde buddy, I think I speak for all of us when I say if God made the offer, we'd trade him this sicko for Heath Ledger in a heartbeat! I truly believe if Heath were still alive, Oscar or not, after today he'd be sorry he ever took the part.

I have never liked the new Batman franchise to begin with, but an incident like this simply shows why. They used to be fun movies, but then Nolan had to turn them into this ridiculous Godfather melodrama, which I can't believe anyone thinks are fun to watch at all. Or maybe the fault lies with who wrote the first Batman movie, on TV the Joker was simply an armed robber who used clown makeup to hide his identity. Sadly in 1989, Tim Burton and Jack Nicholson had to remake him into a toxic waste-mutated serial killer. When I was 15, no film scene had ever given me nightmares(I hated horror movies, and still do), but then I nearly threw up in Batman 1 when Nicholson laughingly used a hand buzzer to incinerate a man. There was and still is no call for anything so sickening, especially in a movie marketed as comic-book-based, when they knew millions of kids would be seeing it. Needless to say, Nolan and Ledger's remolding of the character only made it 10 times worse, and it could be said that Heath was the Joker's first victim in real life. If only he'd been the last. I will not blanketly blame Hollywood because someone in this freak's past should have raised some alarms, but violence has gone so mainstream in the past 20 years, I must quote the cover of Newsweek from back then: Aren't there any limits left?

Your Still-Shocked Pal,
Doc

>:(

Written By: danootaandme on 07/21/12 at 4:05 am

Starde buddy, I think I speak for all of us when I say if God made the offer, we'd trade him this sicko for Heath Ledger in a heartbeat! I truly believe if Heath were still alive, Oscar or not, after today he'd be sorry he ever took the part.

I have never liked the new Batman franchise to begin with, but an incident like this simply shows why. They used to be fun movies, but then Nolan had to turn them into this ridiculous Godfather melodrama, which I can't believe anyone thinks are fun to watch at all. Or maybe the fault lies with who wrote the first Batman movie, on TV the Joker was simply an armed robber who used clown makeup to hide his identity. Sadly in 1989, Tim Burton and Jack Nicholson had to remake him into a toxic waste-mutated serial killer. When I was 15, no film scene had ever given me nightmares(I hated horror movies, and still do), but then I nearly threw up in Batman 1 when Nicholson laughingly used a hand buzzer to incinerate a man. There was and still is no call for anything so sickening, especially in a movie marketed as comic-book-based, when they knew millions of kids would be seeing it. Needless to say, Nolan and Ledger's remolding of the character only made it 10 times worse, and it could be said that Heath was the Joker's first victim in real life. If only he'd been the last. I will not blanketly blame Hollywood because someone in this freak's past should have raised some alarms, but violence has gone so mainstream in the past 20 years, I must quote the cover of Newsweek from back then: Aren't there any limits left?

Your Still-Shocked Pal,
Doc

But you are blaming Hollywood, and although I agree with the part of what used to be fun movies being turned into violence laden melodrama, there isn't any way that this is the cause of what this man has done.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/12 at 6:45 am

The sick **** even called himself the Joker! What the **** is wrong with people?! Can't even go to a movie theater without worrying about being killed! Heard over 70 people were shot (a person as young as a 4 month old baby was one of the victims) and 12 people were killed, including a 6 year old. I'm so disgusted and saddened about this whole tragedy. All these people were just trying watch one of the most anticipated movies of the decade and have a good time like other fans around the country. What's scary about this is that it could've happened ANYWHERE. I went to a midnight showing last night. It could've just as easily happened in my theater! This is just another example of how the world isn't ****ed up, but the people in it.

I agree Starde it's just a senseless act of violence. That's why it's best to watch films at home.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/12 at 6:48 am

http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/demotivational-posters-batman-never-uses-guns.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/12 at 8:54 am

Whatever happened to the cartoonish Batman villans like Mister Freeze or The Penguin? ???

Written By: Dagwood on 07/21/12 at 10:18 am

That would be great....

Why does this have to get a political spin?  As someone who tends to lean right, it gets almost offensive that when something horrible happens people try to blame something on the right.  I am not saying people haven't blamed something on the left but I have never heard it.  I think that there was nothing political here..just a wacko who needs to be locked up.

But you are blaming Hollywood, and although I agree with the part of what used to be fun movies being turned into violence laden melodrama, there isn't any way that this is the cause of what this man has done.

Exactly.  The only one to blame for this is the guy with the gun. 

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 10:20 am

So, apparently, in the 1986 comic book the Dark Knight Returns, there's a scene depicting a movie theater shooting.  I'd have to go to my comics (which are in AZ) to see if this is accurate and there's no way of knowing if the jackass ever read that comic but it seems like an eerie connection (assuming the internet article I found is accurate)

http://washingtonexaminer.com/batman-movie-shooting-imitated-from-scene-in-1985-comic/article/2502701

Just to touch on some of what was said here the comics book went dark long before the Tim Burton and Chris Nolan decided to make the films they did.  There's a tragic side to Bruce wayne/Batman that perfectly feeds the darkness that the movies portray. Personally I think Burton's vision is a campy version of the darkness....his films seem manic to me....where as I believe Nolan did a stellar job (in the first two films - can't see DKR until the 28th) portraying the depth of despair that shrouds Bruce Wayne/Batman as he struggles to rid Gotham of pure evil....which is what Super Villians are.....pure evil.

Written By: warped on 07/21/12 at 10:41 am

Exactly. He's a sick twisted individual. Hollywood is not to blame for his illness, nor the weapons he used. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/12 at 12:04 pm

—— July 20, 2012: At least 12 people are killed when a gunman enters an Aurora, Colo., movie theater, releases a canister of gas and then opens fire during opening night of the Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises."

— July 22, 2011: Confessed mass killer Anders Behring Breivik kills 77 in Norway in twin attacks: a bombing in downtown Oslo and a shooting massacre at a youth camp outside the capital. The self-styled anti-Muslim militant admitted both attacks.

— Nov. 5, 2009: Thirteen soldiers and civilians were killed and more than two dozen wounded when a gunman walked into the Soldier Readiness Processing Center at Fort Hood, Texas, and opened fire. Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

— April 30, 2009: Farda Gadyrov, 29, enters the prestigious Azerbaijan State Oil Academy in the capital, Baku, armed with an automatic pistol and clips. He kills 12 people before killing himself as police close in.

— March 10, 2009: Michael McLendon, 28, killed 10 people — including his mother, four other relatives, and the wife and child of a local sheriff's deputy — across two rural Alabama counties. He then killed himself.

— Sept. 23, 2008: Matti Saari, 22, walks into a vocational college in Kauhajoki, Finland, and opens fire, killing 10 people and burning their bodies with firebombs before shooting himself fatally in the head.

— Nov. 7, 2007: After revealing plans for his attack in YouTube postings, 18-year-old Pekka-Eric Auvinen fires kills eight people at his high school in Tuusula, Finland.

— April 16, 2007: Seung-Hui Cho, 23, kills 32 people and himself on Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Va.

— April 26, 2002: Robert Steinhaeuser, 19, who had been expelled from school in Erfurt, Germany, kills 13 teachers, two former classmates and policeman, before committing suicide.

— April 20, 1999: Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, opened fire at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., killing 12 classmates and a teacher and wounding 26 others before killing themselves in the school's library.

— April 28, 1996: Martin Bryant, 29, bursts into cafeteria in seaside resort of Port Arthur in Tasmania, Australia, shooting 20 people to death. Driving away, he kills 15 others. He was captured and imprisoned.

— March 13, 1996: Thomas Hamilton, 43, kills 16 kindergarten children and their teacher in elementary school in Dunblane, Scotland, and then kills himself.

— Oct. 16, 1991: A deadly shooting rampage took place in Killeen, Texas, as George Hennard opened fire at a Luby's Cafeteria, killing 23 people before taking his own life. 20 others were wounded in the attack.

— June 18, 1990: James Edward Pough shoots people at random in a General Motors Acceptance Corp. office in Jacksonville, Fla., killing 10 and wounding four, before killing himself.

— Dec. 6, 1989: Marc Lepine, 25, bursts into Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique college, shooting at women he encounters, killing nine and then himself.

— Aug. 19, 1987: Michael Ryan, 27, kills 16 people in small market town of Hungerford, England, and then shoots himself dead after being cornered by police.

— July 12, 1976: Edward Charles Allaway, a custodian in the library of California State University, Fullerton, fatally shot seven fellow employees and wounded two others.

— Aug. 20, 1986: Pat Sherrill, 44, a postal worker who was about to be fired, shoots 14 people at a post office in Edmond, Okla. He then kills himself.

— July 18, 1984: James Oliver Huberty, an out-of-work security guard, kills 21 people in a McDonald's restaurant in San Ysidro, Calif. A police sharpshooter kills Huberty.

— Aug. 1, 1966: Charles Whitman opened fire from the clock tower at the University of Texas at Austin, killing 16 people and wounding 31.

Don't you think it is time to discuss gun CONTROL?

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/12 at 12:07 pm

It sounds like James Holmes is too clever for Rush.  The booby-trapped apartment is truly diabolical!

Written By: Step-chan on 07/21/12 at 12:26 pm

Loose screws in the head (or insane maniac)

I now realize that insanity and evulz tend to go hand in hand most of the time in these scenarios.

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/21/12 at 1:04 pm

What I was saying is that not all of Hollywood is responsible, or that only they should take the blame. This man could have easily been another John Hinckley Jr.(the man who shot Pres. Reagan for the too young) and The Dark Knight was his personal Taxi Driver. My point was that what is put out by the film industry should have a more careful ratings system, and the marketing of films should be handled more responsibly. As for Jimmy Holmes, the strange behavior in the months leading to the massacre should have raised some red flags with those around him. Just like they say in the big cities after 9/11:
                          If you see something, SAY something!
In this case, perhaps a dozen lives could have been saved.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 1:06 pm

Yesterday when I looked at the Aurora PD's facebook page I was the 216th person to like it....today the count is up to 692.  While perusing their updates I found this pic. 

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/315360_425844230793825_785674621_n.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 1:34 pm

Cat

First you've got to eliminate the ones that happen outside of the US.... and the one where the shooter was a soilder so they'd have access to a gun whether we had gun control or not...

— July 22, 2011: Confessed mass killer Anders Behring Breivik kills 77 in Norway in twin attacks: a bombing in downtown Oslo and a shooting massacre at a youth camp outside the capital. The self-styled anti-Muslim militant admitted both attacks.

— Nov. 5, 2009: Thirteen soldiers and civilians were killed and more than two dozen wounded when a gunman walked into the Soldier Readiness Processing Center at Fort Hood, Texas, and opened fire. Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

— April 30, 2009: Farda Gadyrov, 29, enters the prestigious Azerbaijan State Oil Academy in the capital, Baku, armed with an automatic pistol and clips. He kills 12 people before killing himself as police close in.

— Sept. 23, 2008: Matti Saari, 22, walks into a vocational college in Kauhajoki, Finland, and opens fire, killing 10 people and burning their bodies with firebombs before shooting himself fatally in the head.

— Nov. 7, 2007: After revealing plans for his attack in YouTube postings, 18-year-old Pekka-Eric Auvinen fires kills eight people at his high school in Tuusula, Finland.

— April 26, 2002: Robert Steinhaeuser, 19, who had been expelled from school in Erfurt, Germany, kills 13 teachers, two former classmates and policeman, before committing suicide.

— April 28, 1996: Martin Bryant, 29, bursts into cafeteria in seaside resort of Port Arthur in Tasmania, Australia, shooting 20 people to death. Driving away, he kills 15 others. He was captured and imprisoned.

— March 13, 1996: Thomas Hamilton, 43, kills 16 kindergarten children and their teacher in elementary school in Dunblane, Scotland, and then kills himself.

— Dec. 6, 1989: Marc Lepine, 25, bursts into Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique college, shooting at women he encounters, killing nine and then himself.

— Aug. 19, 1987: Michael Ryan, 27, kills 16 people in small market town of Hungerford, England, and then shoots himself dead after being cornered by police.

that leaves you with these incidents...

—— July 20, 2012: At least 12 people are killed when a gunman enters an Aurora, Colo., movie theater, releases a canister of gas and then opens fire during opening night of the Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises."

— March 10, 2009: Michael McLendon, 28, killed 10 people — including his mother, four other relatives, and the wife and child of a local sheriff's deputy — across two rural Alabama counties. He then killed himself.

— April 16, 2007: Seung-Hui Cho, 23, kills 32 people and himself on Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Va.

— April 20, 1999: Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, opened fire at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., killing 12 classmates and a teacher and wounding 26 others before killing themselves in the school's library.

— Oct. 16, 1991: A deadly shooting rampage took place in Killeen, Texas, as George Hennard opened fire at a Luby's Cafeteria, killing 23 people before taking his own life. 20 others were wounded in the attack.

— June 18, 1990: James Edward Pough shoots people at random in a General Motors Acceptance Corp. office in Jacksonville, Fla., killing 10 and wounding four, before killing himself.

— July 12, 1976: Edward Charles Allaway, a custodian in the library of California State University, Fullerton, fatally shot seven fellow employees and wounded two others.

— Aug. 20, 1986: Pat Sherrill, 44, a postal worker who was about to be fired, shoots 14 people at a post office in Edmond, Okla. He then kills himself.

— July 18, 1984: James Oliver Huberty, an out-of-work security guard, kills 21 people in a McDonald's restaurant in San Ysidro, Calif. A police sharpshooter kills Huberty.

— Aug. 1, 1966: Charles Whitman opened fire from the clock tower at the University of Texas at Austin, killing 16 people and wounding 31.

then you add in the events you missed.... I know there are many, many more....these were the one's I recall.  One happened a mile from my work, on a day I should've been in dispatch, another occurred the day my family moved to Stockton Ca.

— Sept. 27, 2006: Armed with explosives, 53 yr old Duane Roger Morrison, walked into Platte Canyon High in Bailey, Colorado (go figure). He took several female students hostage, sexually assaulted them, released four of the girls and then shot and killed one of his hostages before taking his own life.

— Jan. 30, 2006: Jennifer San Marco, a former postal employee, walks into a post office hub in Goleta, Ca and kills 5 postal employees and then herself. 

—  July 5, 2003:  Doug Williams opens fire at a Lockheed Martin plant in Meridian Mississippi shoots 14 people, killing six, before shooting himself 

—  March 5, 2001: 15 yr old Charles Andrew Williams kills 2 people and wounds 13 others when he opens fire at Santana High School in Santee California. Witnesses claim they heard him say weeks prior to the incident that he was "going to pull a Columbine"

— Jan. 17, 1989: Patrick Purdy opens fire on an elementary school in Stockton California, killing 5 children and wounding 29 others and one teacher.  (this did lead to a ban on semi-automatic assault weapons) 

so....yeah I agree Cat, there should be stricter regulations on guns but the truth is the bad guys are going to get the guns whether they are controlled or not.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/21/12 at 1:40 pm

Cat

The Colorado Theater was called a gun free zone and had signs prohibiting guns. This shows how good countrol works  ::)
Gun control assumes that psychopaths will actually follow the law.
Conversely, some gun owners have prevented tragedies such as the 71 year old preventing a robbery in an inernet cafe.
http://www.ammoland.com/2012/07/20/cinemark-theaters-was-on-notice-their-no-guns-policy-was-a-gun-free-killing-zone/#axzz21HeZjW6A

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 1:43 pm

The Colorado Theater was called a gun free zone and had signs prohibiting guns. This shows how good countrol works  ::)
Conversely, some gun owners have prevented tragedies such as the 71 year old preventing a robbery in an inernet cafe.
http://www.ammoland.com/2012/07/20/cinemark-theaters-was-on-notice-their-no-guns-policy-was-a-gun-free-killing-zone/#axzz21HeZjW6A

yeah but then you have dumb asses like John Horn who think it's okay to take the law into his own hand and shot two burglars who were in his neighbor's house. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jqLie6-Y0

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/21/12 at 1:47 pm

99 is right.

"Law, without force, is impotent." -Pascal.

In other words, with the psychopaths out there, declaring some place a gun-free zone will accomplish nothing without a show of security to back it up.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/12 at 1:57 pm

It is true that psychopaths will be able to get their hands on guns and other weapons of mass destruction but shouldn't we, as in "civilized" society, try to make it just a bit harder for them to get their hands on it?

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 07/21/12 at 2:23 pm

Gun control isn't the answer.  People who are going to do this are going to get guns.  There will always be people selling guns illegally.  Taking the right out of the hands of law abiding citizens isn't the answer. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/21/12 at 2:41 pm

Why does this have to get a political spin?  As someone who tends to lean right, it gets almost offensive that when something horrible happens people try to blame something on the right.  I am not saying people haven't blamed something on the left but I have never heard it.  I think that there was nothing political here..just a wacko who needs to be locked up.

While I'll be the first to say the guy with the gun is the guy responsible, the "left" is blamed constantly for this stuff.  It's not gun nut Ted Nugent they looked to blame for Columbine, it was Marilyn Manson (who is not what I would consider a right winger by any stretch). 

I was also making a reference to wing-bat Rush calling the Batman Bane character a slam against Romney, a totally prespammersite conclusion to make last week. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/12 at 2:54 pm

Gun control isn't the answer.  People who are going to do this are going to get guns.  There will always be people selling guns illegally.  Taking the right out of the hands of law abiding citizens isn't the answer.

Gun CONTROL is NOT gun PROHIBITION. I'm not talking prohibition here.

I'm not talking about taking the right out of the hands of law abiding citizens, I am talking about more hoops to jump through-like background checks. I'm sure law abiding citizens won't mind undergoing a background check if it will keep guns out of the hands of the nutsos.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 3:09 pm

I'm not talking about taking the right out of the hands of law abiding citizens, I am talking about more hoops to jump through-like background checks. I'm sure law abiding citizens won't mind undergoing a background check if it will keep guns out of the hands of the nutsos.

Cat

I'm thinking they would say I'm not crazy so I shouldn't have to jump through these hoops... people rarely recognize that the only way to vet the crazies is to check everyone....people still sneak thru tho... that V-tech shooter wasn't supposed to be allowed to get a handgun but he lied on his application (or something like that)

Written By: warped on 07/21/12 at 3:25 pm

Cat

While I agree with you about "more hoops to jump through-like background checks.", I don't know it it will happen.
The nutsos will still find a way to get guns, we'll just make it harder on them. Nevertheless, discussion for tougher gun laws will occur. Let's wait and see what happens. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/12 at 3:36 pm

I'm thinking they would say I'm not crazy so I shouldn't have to jump through these hoops... people rarely recognize that the only way to vet the crazies is to check everyone....people still sneak thru tho... that V-tech shooter wasn't supposed to be allowed to get a handgun but he lied on his application (or something like that)

I understand that people will sneak through but I think EVERYONE should be check-that includes for sales at gun shows as well as private sales. I went to a yard sale once where they were selling some guns. They did have someone standing guard over them but I doubted they did a background check on whoever bought them.

There was also that investigation where a bunch of NYC cops tried to buy guns on Craigslist. The cops told the seller that they wouldn't be able to pass a background check and the sellers sold it anyway. They don't care about keeping guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them-they care more about making a sale.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 07/21/12 at 3:39 pm

My father told me a long time ago that the only thing a lock does is it keeps the honest man out.
Unfortunately any kind of gun control will do the same thing. No matter how many hoops one has
to jump through it will only be the law abiding citizens jumping through them. From what I've read
this nut job bought his guns legally and had no priors with the law so he would have cleared the
hoops anyway.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/21/12 at 3:46 pm

Cat

They already have to go through background checks.  There are waiting periods, too.  You can't go purchase and bring the gun home in the same day.  Felons can't buy guns at all.  There is control, and I don't have a problem with it. 

Written By: Dagwood on 07/21/12 at 3:49 pm

I understand that people will sneak through but I think EVERYONE should be check-that includes for sales at gun shows as well as private sales. I went to a yard sale once where they were selling some guns. They did have someone standing guard over them but I doubted they did a background check on whoever bought them.

Cat

I can't speak for the rest of the country but I know here in Utah you have to pass a background check to buy one at a gun show. 

As for yard sales, I agree they shouldn't be sold there.  I can't think of a single police force that has the manpower to check all yard sales to stop it.  Unfortunately there is no way to regulate them there. 

Written By: warped on 07/21/12 at 3:57 pm

A little humor inserted into a difficult topic.
What Archie Bunker thinks about gun control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLjNJI54GMM

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/12 at 4:06 pm

Cat

But in the case of this Holmes dude, a background check would have shown him as clean as a whistle.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/12 at 4:12 pm

So what I am hearing from everyone that control doesn't work so why bother. Let's just give guns to everyone so the next time someone opens fire, everyone else in the crowd can fire back.  ::)

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 4:39 pm

So what I am hearing from everyone that control doesn't work so why bother. Let's just give guns to everyone so the next time someone opens fire, everyone else in the crowd can fire back.  ::)

Cat

I kinda like that plan  :D  O0

Written By: Dagwood on 07/21/12 at 4:40 pm

Cat

No, what you are hearing is that we already have control and that, in this situation, it wouldn't have helped.  I am not advocating giving everyone a gun...I agree that they need to go through the checks we already have in place. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/12 at 4:43 pm

No, what you are hearing is that we already have control and that, in this situation, it wouldn't have helped.  I am not advocating giving everyone a gun...I agree that they need to go through the checks we already have in place.

The problem is our checks have such big loopholes in them that a mac truck can get through.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/21/12 at 4:47 pm

Typical NRAist reaction.  No one wants to take guns away from law abiding citizens.  Here's something for you to consider Holmes was a law abiding citizen.  What would you suggest we do in order to prevent this again?

Written By: loki 13 on 07/21/12 at 4:57 pm

We seem to be creeping away from the issue at hand here. There is no way of knowing the intent of a
person buying a gun legal or not. No matter how many laws are in place or how much control there is
if someone is hellbent on destruction they will achieve it no matter what. Notoriety seems to be the
biggest motive for these nut jobs. The media sensationalism all but ensures more scum bags will do the
same thing.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/21/12 at 5:27 pm

So what do you suggest.  Psychopaths also show some signs that they are just that.  One could suggest that maybe prevention such as Mental Health care avalibility would be a start.

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/21/12 at 6:37 pm

But in the case of this Holmes dude, a background check would have shown him as clean as a whistle.
I wouldn't be so sure about that, LB. It has now been documented that this sicko had no computer or online footprint. I know another modern sicko who didn't, the Unabomber! and a check of his local video store may have shown a pattern of consistent rental of The Dark Knight, assuming he did not own half a dozen copies already, either of which would have hinted at obsession. Plus, dropping out of school for no reason despite his intelligence? Behaving like the neighborhood hermit? I still can't believe something in his life did not trip any alarms. Not to go Frank Burns here, but there are times when something too good to be true does turn out to be false.

BTW, I agree with loki, this really should not be turned into a forum to argue about gun control. To the topic I mentioned of how far violence on the screen has gone, I would like to hear more opinions, but not so that it takes over the thread. Thoughts and prayers are still with the families.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 6:54 pm

I wouldn't be so sure about that, LB. It has now been documented that this sicko had no computer or online footprint. I know another modern sicko who didn't, the Unabomber! and a check of his local video store may have shown a pattern of consistent rental of The Dark Knight, assuming he did not own half a dozen copies already, either of which would have hinted at obsession. Plus, dropping out of school for no reason despite his intelligence? Behaving like the neighborhood hermit? I still can't believe something in his life did not trip any alarms. Not to go Frank Burns here, but there are times when something too good to be true does turn out to be false.

BTW, I agree with loki, this really should not be turned into a forum to argue about gun control. To the topic I mentioned of how far violence on the screen has gone, I would like to hear more opinions, but not so that it takes over the thread. Thoughts and prayers are still with the families.

Your Pal,
Doc

yes, yes.... by all means, let's go out and eviserate anyone who doesn't have an online footprint. I mean its 2012 for Godssake of course anyone who isn't plugged in is a psychotic sociopath who will obliterate many people in the wake of his destruction...yes we must destroy them all...

where do you suggest we start Doc? In Pennsylvania maybe? I mean certain all those Amish folk will be the next ones to rise  ::)

Hell I own two copies of Batman Begins... and I own Dark Knight on Blu Ray... and I am about 99.9% that when Dark Knight Rises comes out I will own that too... if we locked up every person who's watched or rented a movie a few dozen times we'd have to lock up all the geeky Star Wars Fan Boys, the Trekkies and the Twi-Hards... very sound reasoning  you have there.  ::)

The dude may have been a bit off, but maybe he wasn't off enough to trigger warning signs.  Plus, you can never tell. How often has someone close to a psycho (or his neighbor) been on the news saying "He's the last person I'd ever suspect of doing something like this...yet there's Johnny front and center on the 6 o'clock news because he went and did something like that.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/12 at 7:20 pm

Whatever happened to the cartoonish Batman villans like Mister Freeze or The Penguin? ???

Penguin was in most of the Batman series but Mr.Freeze was in one.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/12 at 7:23 pm

If you see something, SAY something! In this case, perhaps a dozen lives could have been saved.

I agree Doc someone should've said something to the usher.

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/21/12 at 7:26 pm

yes, yes.... by all means, let's go out and eviserate anyone who doesn't have an online footprint. I mean its 2012 for Godssake of course anyone who isn't plugged in is a psychotic sociopath who will obliterate many people in the wake of his destruction...yes we must destroy them all...

where do you suggest we start Doc? In Pennsylvania maybe? I mean certain all those Amish folk will be the next ones to rise  ::)

Once again, snozzie has twisted and stretched my words so far to the extreme that they are no longer recognizable. Let the record show that the proposed insane perversion of all civil rights sprang from her imagination, not mine. All I meant was what has been pled for in the anti-terrorism ads.
                                        "If you see something, SAY something!"
But I admit, a psychiatrist would have been better at foreseeing this than the police or neighbors. Of course, it always seems like the quietest ones who have the most to hide. Thank you for your support, Howard.

Your Targeted(AGAIN) Pal,
Doc

Written By: Howard on 07/21/12 at 7:28 pm

Cat

Would it work? ???

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 7:33 pm

Once again, snozzie has twisted and stretched my words so far to the extreme that they are no longer recognizable. Let the record show that the proposed insane perversion of all civil rights sprang from her imagination, not mine. All I meant was what has been pled for in the anti-terrorism ads.
                                        "If you see something, SAY something!"
But I admit, a psychiatrist would have been better at foreseeing this than the police or neighbors. Of course, it always seems like the quietest ones who have the most to hide. Thank you for your support, Howard.

Your Targeted(AGAIN) Pal,
Doc

all I did was read what you wrote and respond to it.... let's try that again...

I wouldn't be so sure about that, LB. It has now been documented that this sicko had no computer or online footprint. I know another modern sicko who didn't, the Unabomber!

and a check of his local video store may have shown a pattern of consistent rental of The Dark Knight, assuming he did not own half a dozen copies already, either of which would have hinted at obsession.

Hell I own two copies of Batman Begins... and I own Dark Knight on Blu Ray... and I am about 99.9% that when Dark Knight Rises comes out I will own that too... if we locked up every person who's watched or rented a movie a few dozen times we'd have to lock up all the geeky Star Wars Fan Boys, the Trekkies and the Twi-Hards... very sound reasoning  you have there.  ::)

Plus, dropping out of school for no reason despite his intelligence? Behaving like the neighborhood hermit? I still can't believe something in his life did not trip any alarms. Not to go Frank Burns here, but there are times when something too good to be true does turn out to be false.

The dude may have been a bit off, but maybe he wasn't off enough to trigger warning signs.  Plus, you can never tell. How often has someone close to a psycho (or his neighbor) been on the news saying "He's the last person I'd ever suspect of doing something like this...yet there's Johnny front and center on the 6 o'clock news because he went and did something like that.

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 7:34 pm

Would it work? ???

It would certainly help with the population control issue..  ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/21/12 at 7:38 pm

Typical NRAist reaction.  No one wants to take guns away from law abiding citizens.  Here's something for you to consider Holmes was a law abiding citizen.  What would you suggest we do in order to prevent this again?

Glad to know I am "typical".  You know, I really hate that word.  I am not sure how you intended the post to sound, but it sure sounded like you are viewing me as a person spouting what I am told to spout.  I can assure you my views are mine and mine alone.

I don't know how to prevent something like this in the future.  If Holmes got all his guns legally, then whatever triggered this was hidden from the background checks, etc.  There are always going to be people out there that will snap that showed absolutely no signs that it would happen.  No way to catch that.  In the cases like Columbine, they didn't get their guns legally and so more checks and balances wouldn't have stopped that tragedy either. 

I don't claim to have all the answers, but then again no one does. 

Written By: Dagwood on 07/21/12 at 7:42 pm

Would it work? ???

Howard, she wasn't making an actual suggestion.  I can guarantee you that Cat doesn't think that is the answer and not only would it not work but it would be stupid.  I agree with that aspect of the discussion.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/21/12 at 7:44 pm

My prayers are with those who were wounded. It's just so awful, people can't even go watch a movie now.

Don't let it scare you from going to see a movie.  Incidents like this don't happen all the time.  It was one sick man. 

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/21/12 at 7:49 pm

all I did was read what you wrote and respond to it....

Yes, you read it... and responded in the least lucid way imaginable! Repeating yourself did not make you look any less like someone throwing pies in my face.

I said nothing suggesting the police state that you described, but if the man was not smart enough to cover his tracks, something should have tipped someone off that he was nearing the exploding point. There must be a way people can know what to look and get people help without compromising our civil liberties. In the case of National & Homeland Security, it has worked, despite some of those given the task being less than professional.

I simply seek a way to improve and secure our American way of life so the next dozen+ lives can be saved.

Your Stung-Again Pal,
Doc

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 8:16 pm

Yes, you read it... and responded in the least lucid way imaginable! Repeating yourself did not make you look any less like someone throwing pies in my face.

I said nothing suggesting the police state that you described, but if the man was not smart enough to cover his tracks, something should have tipped someone off that he was nearing the exploding point. There must be a way people can know what to look and get people help without compromising our civil liberties. In the case of National & Homeland Security, it has worked, despite some of those given the task being less than professional.

I simply seek a way to improve and secure our American way of life so the next dozen+ lives can be saved.

Your Stung-Again Pal,
Doc

The problem is you just can't look at an individual and assume because he acts weird or elusive that he's going to go nuts and shoot up a theater full of people. If he's made statements about wanting to kill a lot of people then yeah, act on that, but if he's just a little weird or different you can't jump to the conclusion that he could go off... nor are there resources avail to track all of the weird, strange, they might just be one of those to go nuts people.    If everyone said something about every person they saw who seemed a little off then the professional bad guy chasers would be so busy investigating all these would be crazies that they'd have no time to get the real bad guys. 

Until the investigation is done there's know knowing what his neighbors, friends, and family knew about Holmes.  Maybe he was crazy all along and giving of massive warning signs or maybe he was well adjusted enough to fool everyone around him into thinking he was normal. 

What I didn't like about your post was the implication that all people who live off of the grid or act in a way that's derivative from "the norm"  are most certainly capable of this kind of action...perhaps it's not how you intended your post to sound but that's how it read.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/12 at 8:20 pm

Don't let it scare you from going to see a movie.  Incidents like this don't happen all the time.  It was one sick man.

exactly, just live your life.

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/21/12 at 8:22 pm

The problem is you just can't look at an individual and assume because he acts weird or elusive that he's going to go nuts and shoot up a theater full of people. If he's made statements about wanting to kill a lot of people then yeah, act on that, but if he's just a little weird or different you can't jump to the conclusion that he could go off... nor are there resources avail to track all of the weird, strange, they might just be one of those to go nuts people.    If everyone said something about every person they saw who seemed a little off then the professional bad guy chasers would be so busy investigating all these would be crazies that they'd have no time to get the real bad guys. 
What I didn't like about your post was the implication that all people who live off of the grid or act in a way that's derivative from "the norm"  are most certainly capable of this kind of action...perhaps it's not how you intended your post to sound but that's how it read.

Very well. Let's just agree to disagree on this, as usual.

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: warped on 07/21/12 at 8:51 pm

Until the investigation is done there's know knowing what his neighbors, friends, and family knew about Holmes.  Maybe he was crazy all along and giving of massive warning signs or maybe he was well adjusted enough to fool everyone around him into thinking he was normal. 

I agree with you completely snozberries.…

And Doc Brown, try not to make so many posts with angry faces at people (I have counted 6 in 6 different posts just in this thread) I understand you are quite upset and this guy was a total nutcase, but all these faces make you very confrontational (at least to me it does)…lighten up a little...next time wait that extra 5 minutes before you hit the enter button...might help. 

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 9:08 pm

I agree with you completely snozberries.…

And Doc Brown, try not to make so many posts with angry faces at people (I have counted 6 in 6 different posts just in this thread) I understand you are quite upset and this guy was a total nutcase, but all these faces make you very confrontational (at least to me it does)…lighten up a little...next time wait that extra 5 minutes before you hit the enter button...might help.

Thanks warped. 

Doc always signs off with a smiley of some kind....you can be sure, if he's replying to my post it will always be a negative one. I don't mind... I just wish he'd knock out the "your _____  pal" crap  when responding to me since we aren't exactly pals.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/12 at 9:39 pm

The media is always shocked to see how smart rich kids who are nice and get good grades and come from Leave it to Beaver families can go nuts and run amok too. 

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/12 at 9:39 pm

This guy planned this for months, MONTHS. I mean, mentally ill is like attacking someone out of impulse or just suddenly, but this guy is smart and sane enough to plan this for a while before putting it into action. Which makes this massacre even more sick and twisted.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/21/12 at 10:02 pm

While I'll be the first to say the guy with the gun is the guy responsible, the "left" is blamed constantly for this stuff.  It's not gun nut Ted Nugent they looked to blame for Columbine, it was Marilyn Manson (who is not what I would consider a right winger by any stretch). 

I was also making a reference to wing-bat Rush calling the Batman Bane character a slam against Romney, a totally prespammersite conclusion to make last week.

And the left has already been blamed for this particular tragedy. Louie Gohmert said yesterday morning that our "rejection" of God is the reason why the man upstairs continues to allow things like this to happen.

That was only a few hours after he even knew what the hell had happened! I remember the good old days, when people would at least wait half a day before trying to blame a terrible event on their political enemies.

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/21/12 at 10:05 pm

The media is always shocked to see how smart rich kids who are nice and get good grades and come from Leave it to Beaver families can go nuts and run amok too. 

That's the problem, Max. There never was any such thing as a Leave It To Beaver family. Or Brady Bunch, or Huxtables, whatever. More often than not, TV writers turn family life into either an unattainable ideal or an unfathomable dystopia(examples: Married With Children, Everybody Loves Raymond, Family Guy). TV has very rarely depicted realistic family life, simply because reality just isn't very funny. Possible exceptions would include Happy Days, Family Ties, Home Improvement, and Parenthood.

Meanwhile, smart kids do not necessarily mean good kids. I think it was C.S. Lewis who said that "Education without values only served to make a more clever devil.", and once money is involved, then you have a whole new problem to work with. Money empowers a person, and if that person has no regard for right and wrong, then it can easily become absolute power, hence Lord Acton's warning "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." Education and edification are our best defense from this happening again.

Your Pal,
Doc

P.S: That has been my signature since long before we ever met, snoz. BTW, it is not always a negative response, we must have agreed on something, at least once! If you don't want to be pals, that's fine, but please allow me to continue being polite.

Written By: belmont22 on 07/21/12 at 10:16 pm

Where is the indignation at our military which kills hundreds of people every single day in the Middle East? Granted this event is tragic, but in the grand scheme of things, there are far worse crimes going on now which are not condemned.

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 11:01 pm

P.S: That has been my signature since long before we ever met, snoz. BTW, it is not always a negative response, we must have agreed on something, at least once! If you don't want to be pals, that's fine, but please allow me to continue being polite.

If you read my post again you'll find that I said you ALWAYS sign off with a smiley.  With regards to the use of he negative smileys in this particular thread those are primarily a direct response to my post and therefore, in those specific instances, most certainly directed at me.

You and I haven't been friendly since the Sarah Palin / Obama fight we had during the election. I told you then how I felt and I feel your continued use of something we both know to be false  and a waste of energy typing all those extra letters.

Yes I hold a grudge.
Yes I will continue to disagree with you just as you will continue to disagree with me.
No we may never agree on anything and, as you may have noticed, I usually go out of my way to not engage in a discussion with you because they all end up in this place. We're both guilty of pushing ach others buttons so let's just agree to move on.

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/21/12 at 11:07 pm

If you read my post again you'll find that I said you ALWAYS sign off with a smiley.  With regards to the use of he negative smileys in this particular thread those are primarily a direct response to my post and therefore, in those specific instances, most certainly directed at me.

Yes, let's. but the angry smileys I have been using in this thread are because of what the thread is about, not because of you. And don't forget, you attacked my posting, not the other way around. There is no post in this thread where I will be using my usual smiley with the shades.

Your Upset Debate Partner,
Doc

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/12 at 11:22 pm

Yes, let's. but the angry smileys I have been using in this thread are because of what the thread is about, not because of you. And don't forget, you attacked my posting, not the other way around. There is no post in this thread where I will be using my usual smiley with the shades.

Your Upset Debate Partner,
Doc

Well I did say I USUALLY avoid engaging in dialogue with you. I never said I always. Something about the generality of your initial post set me off.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/22/12 at 6:46 am

Where is the indignation at our military which kills hundreds of people every single day in the Middle East? Granted this event is tragic, but in the grand scheme of things, there are far worse crimes going on now which are not condemned.

I would double bubble this Karma if I could.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/12 at 7:26 am

It's like when you're young you got good grades and do well in High School but when you're all grown up in your 30's and 40's you wind up on medication and get psycho-therapy.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/12 at 7:29 am

Why can't anyone these days just go to the movies and enjoy themselves? Whatever happened to those times?

Written By: snozberries on 07/22/12 at 9:55 am

Why can't anyone these days just go to the movies and enjoy themselves? Whatever happened to those times?

Honestly Howard 99.9% of the people in the country can (and should) go out to a movie and enjoy themselves. The worst thing that could happen is people shutting themselves inside because one jackass decided to kill a few people one night.  We hope there are no copy cats, the likelihood is there but the chances of it happening again are not so great that everyone should tremble in fear and never step into a movie theater again.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/22/12 at 11:06 am

99 is right.

"Law, without force, is impotent." -Pascal.

In other words, with the psychopaths out there, declaring some place a gun-free zone will accomplish nothing without a show of security to back it up.

Your Pal,
Doc

hmm

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/22/12 at 11:48 am

Where is the indignation at our military which kills hundreds of people every single day in the Middle East?

Because our military is fighting terrorists who want all Americans dead, and they have the arms to shoot back. This cowardly bastard snuck into a dark theater and massacred innocent, unarmed Americans who were simply out for a night at the movies. Does that sound like the same thing to you!?

Doc

Written By: 80sfan on 07/22/12 at 11:59 am

I'm still going to go to the movies.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/22/12 at 12:41 pm

Honestly Howard 99.9% of the people in the country can (and should) go out to a movie and enjoy themselves. The worst thing that could happen is people shutting themselves inside because one jackass decided to kill a few people one night.  We hope there are no copy cats, the likelihood is there but the chances of it happening again are not so great that everyone should tremble in fear and never step into a movie theater again.

You can't even go out the house without having to look over your shoulder. :(

Written By: Howard on 07/22/12 at 12:42 pm

I'm still going to go to the movies.  ::)

Which film did you see?  ???

Written By: warped on 07/22/12 at 12:47 pm

You can't even go out the house without having to look over your shoulder. :(

Howard, you can't live your life in fear because that just puts your life on hold and controls your ability to move forward.  Just because there are car accidents everyday, does that mean you will never go into car? Or a bus? Workplace accidents happen from time to time. Does that mean you will never go to work again?
Go out and enjoy your life.

She's right again.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/12 at 1:26 pm

Howard, you can't live your life in fear because that just puts your life on hold and controls your ability to move forward.  Just because there are car accidents everyday, does that mean you will never go into car? Or a bus? Workplace accidents happen from time to time. Does that mean you will never go to work again?
Go out and enjoy your life.
She's right again.

I agree just live your life and don't worry, only way to go.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/22/12 at 1:32 pm

Which film did you see?  ???

I'm going to go see Batman in about an hour. :(

Written By: meesa on 07/22/12 at 3:03 pm

This is a tragedy that happens more and more often it seems, and I don't see it as a left or right issue, it is a humanity issue that everyone has to deal with. The man was a sick twisted individual, and the laws that are in place did not stop him, but even if they had, he would have found another way to obtain them-disgusting but true. That is our true problem, getting the guns out of the hands of those who should not have them.

Unfortunately bearing arms and personal responsibility don't always seem to march hand in hand in our society anymore.

My heart is with the victims right now, and hopefully this will not become some political grenade for politicians to throw at each other in the coming months. If that happens it would be a disservice to our country not to mention disrespectful to the victims. As to gun control vs no gun control, until we can figure out how to keep the guns out of the lunatics and criminals hands, I don't know how we can truly control it.

I disagree with this being a lesser tragedy than the fighting that is happening in the Middle East or any other part of the world, because of my belief that every life is precious and no one is more important than the other. Any senseless loss of life is a tragedy.

This isn't Hollywood's fault either; they are simply making what we are willing to buy. No demand= no product, there is a demand therefore a product. I have only seen one of the series (The Dark Knight) and I don't see how that film would make anyone  run out and plan a terroristic act. Violent, yes. Dark? absolutely. But not to blame for this lunatics actions.

No easy answers it seems.

Written By: snozberries on 07/22/12 at 3:07 pm

O0

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/12 at 4:32 pm

I know it's upsetting, but shouldn't we keep some perspective on things?  You are a zillion times more likely to get killed driving to the movie theater than you are to get killed by a masked gunman in the movie theater.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/12 at 4:40 pm

When a dude's gettin bullied and shoots up his school,
And they blame it on Marilyn.
And the heroin, where were the parents at?!
And look where it's at, middle-America,
Now it's a tragedy, now it's so sad to see...
An upper class city, havin' this happenin.
Then attack Eminem, 'cause he raps this way.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/22/12 at 8:12 pm

I know it's upsetting, but shouldn't we keep some perspective on things?  You are a zillion times more likely to get killed driving to the movie theater than you are to get killed by a masked gunman in the movie theater.

This - and this, and this, and this, to the others who have echoed this sentiment.  When your emotions tell you that something must be done, a politician will be happy to propose something, in the hopes that you'll see accept his something as what must be done.

If you change your nation's culture because you fear terrorism, the terrorists win.  (Ten years out from 9/11, I think it's fair to say they won.)

Right now, there are politicians on both sides of the aisle slavering at this opportunity.  Let's not let one whackjob give the politicians the chance to make the the moviegoing experience as "secure" as flying the unfriendly skies.

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/22/12 at 10:42 pm

If you change your nation's culture because you fear terrorism, the terrorists win.  (Ten years out from 9/11, I think it's fair to say they won.)

Right now, there are politicians on both sides of the aisle slavering at this opportunity.  Let's not let one whackjob give the politicians the chance to make the the moviegoing experience as "secure" as flying the unfriendly skies.

I must respectfully disagree, FB. The airline industry may be safer than it was before 9/11, seeing as airport security was a joke beforehand, but it is just as moneygrubbing and unreliable as it has been for 20+ years. New charges for drinks, pillows & magazines, extra fees for more than one bag, even charging large people for two seats have nothing to do with Homeland Security, it is simply corporate criminals making the flying experience more expensive and less enjoyable. The terrorists haven't won anything, the thieves of Wall Street are... but soon they will go too far, and eventually lose their customers.

Besides, every politician knows that they have to have the media on their side, and even though Obama was there today, he would not say anything to alienate the press machine that orchestrated his election in the first place.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Howard on 07/23/12 at 6:50 am

enjoy the film.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/12 at 6:53 am

Maybe we should do something about owning firearms and shutting down all gunshops, FOR GOOD!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/12 at 9:09 am

enjoy the film.

Thanks!

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/23/12 at 9:57 am

Maybe we should do something about owning firearms and shutting down all gunshops, FOR GOOD!

Right! And to lower the country's cholesterol count, we should knock down all the restaurants! >:(

Get real, Howard! We need tougher legislation for owning guns, not a blanket ban on them. I'm all for getting rid of assault weapons, but people have the right to defend their homes.
btw snozzie, I apologize if I beat you to the punch on this one.

Your Pal(Howard's anyway),
Doc

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 1:14 pm

NBC LA posted a pic of the jackass on their FB page... while I'm the willing to jump on the band wagon and call the turd a jackass I'm really bothered by all the posts claiming he should just be taken out and shot.  Vigilante justice is never the answer... and really all those people sound as messed up as this dude is. 

But.....because I can find the levity in almost anything I was wondering HITF does red hair correlate to The Joker???  Well I wasn't alone, below this pic, posted by NBC LA FB  are two of the 150 comments that echoed  my sentiment and cracked me up...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/557483_10150974600056028_1901345962_n.jpg

FACEBOOK USER - Jack:  When did the joker have red hair? I think he was looking at the wrong clown. Ronald mcdonald was NEVER a batman vilian there chief. 

FACEBOOK USER - Sandra: The Joker? More like Sideshow Bob!

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 1:15 pm

A great news report done on the dispatchers who worked the incident

http://www.9news.com/news/article/279128/188/First-people-to-help-A-rare-conversation-with-911-dispatchers

There was a pic posted on the Aurora PD FB page.... I fixt it for them... 

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/Dispatch/fixed-1.jpg

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/23/12 at 1:21 pm

NBC LA posted a pic of the jackass on their FB page... while I'm the willing to jump on the band wagon and call the turd a jackass I'm really bothered by all the posts claiming he should just be taken out and shot.  Vigilante justice is never the answer... and really all those people sound as messed up as this dude is. 

Is Batman anything if not a vigilante? He's not called "The Caped Crusader" for nothing!

Doc
???

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 1:33 pm

Is Batman anything if not a vigilante? He's not called "The Caped Crusader" for nothing!

Doc
???

He's a comic book character.  And before you go saying the jackass who shot up the theater was acting in tribute or as a direct response or whatever, I'm talking the 200 or so posts now on that page by seemingly sane and potentially decent human beings who normally (presumably) would never consider taking a life.

Two wrongs don't make a right.  These people want him shot without a trial. There's a criminal justice system in place for a reason...this country used to operate by marshal law, it didn't work.  Why not give the jackass his day in court, let him be found guilty and then let him rot in jail or fry on the electric chair.  Why does it have to be take him out and shoot him? And what happens if some Jack Ruby's his ass? Is that person now a hero because they eliminated a criminal?  They are just as guilty of taking a life...albeit a rotten, worthless life but a life nonetheless... 

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 2:19 pm

and,  lest we forget,

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/544400_460863893931930_2078906258_n.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/23/12 at 2:21 pm

Right! And to lower the country's cholesterol count, we should knock down all the restaurants! >:(

Get real, Howard! We need tougher legislation for owning guns, not a blanket ban on them. I'm all for getting rid of assault weapons, but people have the right to defend their homes.
btw snozzie, I apologize if I beat you to the punch on this one.

Your Pal(Howard's anyway),
Doc

I don't know, The President is probably running out of ideas by now.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/12 at 2:24 pm

But.....because I can find the levity in almost anything I was wondering HITF does red hair correlate to The Joker???  Well I wasn't alone, below this pic, posted by NBC LA FB  are two of the 150 comments that echoed  my sentiment and cracked me up...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/557483_10150974600056028_1901345962_n.jpg

FACEBOOK USER - Jack:  When did the joker have red hair? I think he was looking at the wrong clown. Ronald mcdonald was NEVER a batman vilian there chief. 

I was thinking myself when did Joker have red hair? I mean maybe he despised Ronald McDonald when he was growing up that he decided to act like one of his favorite characters he grew up with? ???

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 2:34 pm

I was thinking myself when did Joker have red hair? I mean maybe he despised Ronald McDonald when he was growing up that he decided to act like one of his favorite characters he grew up with? ???

that's as logical any thing else I've heard  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/23/12 at 2:39 pm

Holmes played video games  - here comes the spin, which we all saw a million miles away.  Yup, he played games, like the other 99.99% of young males who don't shoot up movie theaters.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/12 at 2:45 pm

and,  lest we forget,

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/544400_460863893931930_2078906258_n.jpg

That's beautiful. I just wish there wasn't a need for it.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 2:52 pm

Holmes played video games  - here comes the spin, which we all saw a million miles away.  Yup, he played games, like the other 99.99% of young males who don't shoot up movie theaters.

those lame connections infuriate me. Why must the rest of society be judged for the actions of one nut job?

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 2:53 pm

That's beautiful. I just wish there wasn't a need for it.

Cat

same here... it'd be nice to not have to have these discussions at all.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/12 at 3:10 pm

same here... it'd be nice to not have to have these discussions at all.

I agree.

Written By: warped on 07/23/12 at 3:15 pm

those lame connections infuriate me. Why must the rest of society be judged for the actions of one nut job?

He played computer games  :o
Maybe he drank alcohol once in his life too  :o
Maybe he watched an R-rated movie once too  :o
Maybe he even cut school once or twice  :o
Perhaps he even took a glance at a "playboy" once  :o

Like Chucky G said "like the other 99.99% of young males who don't shoot up movie theaters."

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 3:57 pm

He played computer games  :o
Maybe he drank alcohol once in his life too  :o
Maybe he watched an R-rated movie once too  :o
Maybe he even cut school once or twice  :o
Perhaps he even took a glance at a "playboy" once  :o

Like Chucky G said "like the other 99.99% of young males who don't shoot up movie theaters."

OH CRAP!!! Howard! Step away from the guns!  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/12 at 5:16 pm

I remember when I was flunking school and I dyed my hair orange.  I never had any desire to hurt anybody.  I hope our hysterical mom culture doesn't start waving crosses and garlic at young men with bleached hair and bad grades.  I was 16 not 24, I don't know if that makes a difference.

They're also saying Holmes might have schizophrenia.  I say again to our hysterical moms, schizophrenics do not have a propensity for violence any more than the general population.  In fact, the ability to organize and execute as sophisticated a crime as it appears Homes has is counter to most clinically documented schizophrenic behavior.

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 5:43 pm

I remember when I was flunking school and I dyed my hair orange.  I never had any desire to hurt anybody.  I hope our hysterical mom culture doesn't start waving crosses and garlic at young men with bleached hair and bad grades.  I was 16 not 24, I don't know if that makes a difference.

They're also saying Holmes might have schizophrenia.  I say again to our hysterical moms, schizophrenics do not have a propensity for violence any more than the general population.  In fact, the ability to organize and execute as sophisticated a crime as it appears Homes has is counter to most clinically documented schizophrenic behavior.

I agree.  It's a defense strategy that hopefully will not work.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/23/12 at 6:54 pm

He might simply be evil.  It happens.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/12 at 7:12 pm

I agree.  It's a defense strategy that hopefully will not work.

Holmes is looking at the death penalty. The prosecution will demand nothing less.  If I was his lawyer, I might try an insanity plea.  The defense might have nothing to lose. 

The thing is, even if the shrinks diagnose him as paranoid schizophrenic, it doesn't follow that he is legally insane.  Legal insanity requires the defendant to be unable to distinguish right from wrong and unable to appreciate the consequences of their actions.  The scheme with the booby-trapped apartment isn't going to get him there. 

The state would still confine Holmes for his natural life to a maximum security hospital for the criminally insane. 

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 7:17 pm

Holmes is looking at the death penalty. The prosecution will demand nothing less.  If I was his lawyer, I might try an insanity plea.  The defense might have nothing to lose. 

The thing is, even if the shrinks diagnose him as paranoid schizophrenic, it doesn't follow that he is legally insane.  Legal insanity requires the defendant to be unable to distinguish right from wrong and unable to appreciate the consequences of their actions.  The scheme with the booby-trapped apartment isn't going to get him there. 

The state would still confine Holmes for his natural life to a maximum security hospital for the criminally insane.

they're gonna have a pretty hard time finding an impartial jury no matter where they hold the trial so all of it's going to be an uphill battle. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/23/12 at 7:40 pm

Didn't the Joker have red hair in the 60's tv series?

http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/09/1/7/8/55344291943691702.jpg

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/23/12 at 7:48 pm

No, it was meant to appear green. That's probably how Holmes will look after his ride in the chair.
And yes, I want him tried, convicted, and executed. Insane people don't plan out attacks or rig their apartments to blow up cops. That defense will not fly, and I don't want him living another 60 years in the whacko-ward on our tax dollars! Once it bites a child, you don't cage a rabid dog, you put it down.

Your Still-Angry Pal,
Doc

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 7:49 pm

no I think it just looks red in that pic... it was definately green...

Here's a pic from the same scene it's definately green.

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsR/14932-1293.gif

Perhaps the color technique used to process some of the pics have faded and that's why the green areas look red. I found a few "red haired" pics on line as well. Or maybe it was red in one ep.  Or maybe it was red in the test costume phase and some of those pics leaked....mostly tho I think the film colors have faded from green to red....

another pic to show how green the green really was.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2008/07/21/cesar-romero_300.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/12 at 8:17 pm

http://hilobrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/rotten.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/24/12 at 6:36 am

OH CRAP!!! Howard! Step away from the guns!  :D

I am nothing like him but I do have a collection of Playboys.  :D

Written By: Howard on 07/24/12 at 6:37 am

Yes but it was sort of green.

Written By: snozberries on 07/24/12 at 8:32 am

I am nothing like him

I know you're not Howard it was a joke

but I do have a collection of Playboys.  :D

& we all know that  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/12 at 10:43 am

I don't want to see him executed. That is too easy. I want him to spend the rest of his days locked up.

Cat

Written By: warped on 07/24/12 at 10:50 am

I don't want to see him executed. That is too easy. I want him to spend the rest of his days locked up.

Cat

He will have to spend lots of time in solitary. Once the news gets out and the other inmates find out who he is, he's got trouble (putting it mildly)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/12 at 12:05 pm

He will have to spend lots of time in solitary. Once the news gets out and the other inmates find out who he is, he's got trouble (putting it mildly)

Let him live in fear.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/24/12 at 12:06 pm

the inmates probably know who he is... I don't know if he warrants solitary confinement tho... he'd be in more danger as a child molester rather then a mass murderer

Written By: snozberries on 07/24/12 at 12:16 pm

watching GMA this am... apparently he had an ad on Match.com "Will you visit me in prison"  hope the prosecution can use that to help prove their case for premeditation. 

Written By: snozberries on 07/24/12 at 5:41 pm

Y'all know I'm pretty hard core and don't get moved by this crap very often.....it's one of the hazards that comes with my profession... but this made my eyes damp for about half a second.

Batman... I mean.... Christan Bale visits shooting victims in the hospital in Aurora

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/487897_10151048641309752_995100757_n.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 07/24/12 at 7:00 pm

Cat

I agree.  I said this at work and got told life in prison was inhumane.  Inhumane?  Really?  Our prisoners live better than some of the people in poverty.  I think he needs to live with it on his conscience.  Death penalty is too easy of a way out.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/12 at 7:16 pm

watching GMA this am... apparently he had an ad on Match.com "Will you visit me in prison"  hope the prosecution can use that to help prove their case for premeditation.

No it was adultfriendfinder.com

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/James-Holmes-AdultFriendFinder--620x502.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 07/24/12 at 7:32 pm

No it was adultfriendfinder.com

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/James-Holmes-AdultFriendFinder--620x502.jpg

In not even gonba ask why you know that.
For the record like all tissues are Kleenex and all copiers "xerox" stuff, to me all dating sites are match dot com.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/24/12 at 7:53 pm

Maybe can start mopping floors or do community work? ???

He killed people, he didn't shoplift something.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/24/12 at 8:08 pm

Send 'im to Shawshank.  Take him out of that one-bunk Hilton he's at now, and cast him down with the sodomites.

That's what Warden Norton and Officer Hadley would do.

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080401/Villains/Shawshank-redemption_l.jpg

Fresh fish!  Fresh Fish!

Written By: Howard on 07/24/12 at 8:13 pm

In not even gonba ask why you know that.
For the record like all tissues are Kleenex and all copiers "xerox" stuff, to me all dating sites are match dot com.

But it said in a news article that his profile was on that site.

Written By: snozberries on 07/24/12 at 8:33 pm

But it said in a news article that his profile was on that site.

That's irrelevant tithe point I was making about not differentiating between the different dating sites

Written By: Starde on 07/24/12 at 9:01 pm

Cat

That is EXACTLY how I feel! Death would be the easy way out for anyone in his position. I believe this guy should be locked up and suffer for the rest of his life in jail, just like how the families of the dead will have to suffer with their loss and the victims who will have to suffer with their trauma over the whole tragedy.

In the past few days, I have noticed some people blaming the movie which I believe isn't fair because the movie didn't do anything wrong. It's a damn shame that this had to happen with The Dark Knight Rises and it will be associated with this tragedy for a long time. The thing is, this could've happened with ANY movie. The sick bastard, who had been planning the whole thing for awhile, chose the movie KNOWING that the movie theater would be crowded with people who have been waiting to watch this movie since 2008 and that they would be sitting ducks. The psychopath could've just as easily done this last year at the final Harry Potter movie which was the most anticipated film of 2011. Who knows! But the bottom line is, it was not the movie's fault. It was kind of Warner Bros. though to pull ads and not release the film's box office grosses this past weekend out of respect to the victims. I know some people who didn't watch the movie this weekend and some others who were going to watch it, but are now avoiding movie theaters out of fear. I understand that people are afraid and the news haven't been making things better. However, no one should be giving this sick bastard that power. I hope those who are avoiding movie theaters at the moment will eventually come back. 

I'm a film major and an avid moviegoer, so maybe that's why this whole tragedy hits me a lot more, but I truly believe that there is no better why to experience a movie than in a theater. Movies are meant to be seen on the big screen, not on a TV screen, laptop or an iPod. There is nothing like watching a movie and sharing an experience with strangers from different walks of life who you don't even know in a theater. There's really nothing like it. A movie theater is meant to be a place of escapism, not a coffin. So to see that violated truly pissed me off last week. All I'm saying is people shouldn't let one psychopath scare them out of living their lives. I know I'm sure not. You only get one life to live. With that said, I'm planning to watch TDKR 1-2 more times in theaters because it was that good. 

By the way, MAJOR props to WB for donating money to the victims (article: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/warner-bros--to-make--substantial--donation-to-colorado-shooting-victims.html) and to Christian Bale taking the time out of his day to visit the victims (article: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31301174/detail.html), not because WB told him to or because he saw that "Christian Bale should dress up as Batman and visit the victims!" request that has been floating around social media, but because he actually wanted to. Classy on both their parts! 8)

Written By: snozberries on 07/24/12 at 9:10 pm

^ I agree Starde. The only reason I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises yet is because I'm working insane hours last week and this week. This Fri is my first day off in 8 days.  I'm gonna rematch BB & DK on fri then go see DK on Saturday.

Btw where are you studying?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/25/12 at 1:48 am

I'm against the death penalty.  Period.  I was just saying Colorado has it, so he's going to get sent up for the hot shot.  Now, it might take 20 years for sentence to get carried out, so he'll have plenty of time to sit there and wonder why he had to be such an asshat in the summer of 2012...or he might just slobber and wear a tinfoil cosmic ray deflection hat.  Whatever amenities Holmes might or might not have in the cell, I couldn't give less of a crap.  He's out of circulation so he can't menace the public with mass murders. 

Written By: belmont22 on 07/25/12 at 5:29 am

Is it sick and wrong that I actually find sorry for the shooter as well as the people he killed? I don't really blame him, he's insane, I blame his sickness.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/12 at 6:49 am

Is it sick and wrong that I actually find sorry for the shooter as well as the people he killed? I don't really blame him, he's insane, I blame his sickness.

and maybe he forgot to take his meds.

Written By: snozberries on 07/25/12 at 10:28 am

I'm against the death penalty.  Period.  I was just saying Colorado has it, so he's going to get sent up for the hot shot.  Now, it might take 20 years for sentence to get carried out, so he'll have plenty of time to sit there and wonder why he had to be such an asshat in the summer of 2012...or he might just slobber and wear a tinfoil cosmic ray deflection hat.  Whatever amenities Holmes might or might not have in the cell, I couldn't give less of a crap.  He's out of circulation so he can't menace the public with mass murders.

what Max said... except I'm for the death penalty...but otherwise I agree and like how ya said it... O0

Written By: Starde on 07/25/12 at 2:44 pm

EXCLUSIVE: ‘Dark Knight’ massacre suspect wants to know how the movie ended

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-dark-knight-massacre-suspect-movie-ended-article-1.1121478#ixzz21fIggZZL

Is he for real? How did the movie end?! It ended with you shooting up the place and killing people! This guy is just begging to get smacked! >:(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/25/12 at 5:24 pm

Most likely he'll end up in the basement of some maximum-security FBI psyche ward (like the one they held Hannibal Lecter in in Silence of the Lambs), where criminal psychologists and profilers will pick his brain for the rest of his life.

Remember, in most of these shooting sprees the shooter ends up killing himself at the end but in this case they've managed to capture a live specimen and as sick as this may sound, I doubt the FBI will pass up the opportunity to study it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/25/12 at 5:31 pm

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-dark-knight-massacre-suspect-movie-ended-article-1.1121478#ixzz21fIggZZL

Is he for real? How did the movie end?! It ended with you shooting up the place and killing people! This guy is just begging to get smacked! >:(

Judging by his actions so far, it's becoming clear to me that this guy really does see himself as a true-to-life diabolical arch-criminal/supervillain whose sole purpose is to spread fear and mayhem and chaos.

I'm afraid this is only the beginning of what is sure to be a long and ugly trial, and I expect that we'll be seeing unprecedented over-dramatic courtroom outbursts and antics from this asshole.  >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/25/12 at 6:05 pm

.... it's becoming clear to me that this guy really does see himself as a true-to-life diabolical arch-criminal/supervillain whose sole purpose is to spread fear and mayhem and chaos.

I've been accused of that at work a few times...  :P

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/26/12 at 12:30 am

This.  Unlike the Arizona dude, it seems too well-planned.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5149/mcholmes.jpg

DONE!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg190/BAD_RA88IT/sideshow.jpg

At 1:12 PM - 23 Jul 12, none other than Fark's Drew Curtis agreed. 

Do you have a timestamp on that link from "Sandra?"  It's a little late, and the Sideshow Bob meme is struggling, but if it takes off, I'd like nothing better than to see us document the origin of the meme whereby the shooter was remembered not for killing 12 people, but for his utter failure at supervillainy.

Obligatory Pop Culture Reference:

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt230/Kitabo111/Rampage.jpg

Why hasn't the media blamed Uwe Boll's 2009 flick Rampage.  (If nothing else, blaming Uwe Boll for the massacre would spare us the next bad adaptation of a video game to the silver screen.  Not that I didn't laugh my ass off at 2007's nod to Postal.)  I claim no moral high ground here, just pointing out a pop culture reference that the media appears to have completely missed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/12 at 12:38 am

If only Holmes had suited up like Ronald McDonald he might have spelled the end for one of the most annoying mascots ever!

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/goldbrickdreams/default/conan-mccoco--large-msg-131293374577.jpg

Written By: Starde on 07/26/12 at 12:40 am

^ I agree Starde. The only reason I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises yet is because I'm working insane hours last week and this week. This Fri is my first day off in 8 days.  I'm gonna rematch BB & DK on fri then go see DK on Saturday.

Btw where are you studying?

NYU. 8)

Written By: Howard on 07/26/12 at 7:19 am

What is he? an idiot?  >:( ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/26/12 at 7:20 am

This.  Unlike the Arizona dude, it seems too well-planned.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5149/mcholmes.jpg

DONE!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg190/BAD_RA88IT/sideshow.jpg

At 1:12 PM - 23 Jul 12, none other than Fark's Drew Curtis agreed. 

Do you have a timestamp on that link from "Sandra?"  It's a little late, and the Sideshow Bob meme is struggling, but if it takes off, I'd like nothing better than to see us document the origin of the meme whereby the shooter was remembered not for killing 12 people, but for his utter failure at supervillainy.

Obligatory Pop Culture Reference:

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt230/Kitabo111/Rampage.jpg

Why hasn't the media blamed Uwe Boll's 2009 flick Rampage.  (If nothing else, blaming Uwe Boll for the massacre would spare us the next bad adaptation of a video game to the silver screen.  Not that I didn't laugh my ass off at 2007's nod to Postal.)  I claim no moral high ground here, just pointing out a pop culture reference that the media appears to have completely missed.

Foo, where's his red nose?  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/12 at 8:36 am

NYU. 8)

O0 good luck. 
Got my BA in Film @ UCSB

Written By: meesa on 07/26/12 at 10:14 am

One of the things that I wonder is, how in the world did this person get the money to buy all of the weaponry in the first place?

I live on an income that if I wanted to assault anybody, I would have to choose between pelting them with vegetables or toilet tissue, 'cause I sure can't afford much else!

Maybe I am out of the swim with the cost of guns, ammo, etc. And if he bought all of this at the same place (the bullets anyway) wouldn't it make someone take notice? Does there have to be a law to make someone take notice when something isn't right??

Written By: Howard on 07/26/12 at 2:34 pm

One of the things that I wonder is, how in the world did this person get the money to buy all of the weaponry in the first place?

I live on an income that if I wanted to assault anybody, I would have to choose between pelting them with vegetables or toilet tissue, 'cause I sure can't afford much else!

Maybe I am out of the swim with the cost of guns, ammo, etc. And if he bought all of this at the same place (the bullets anyway) wouldn't it make someone take notice? Does there have to be a law to make someone take notice when something isn't right??

and what did he do for a living to afford such items? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/12 at 7:05 pm

Maybe Holmes bought his arsenal with money his dad sent him for school. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/26/12 at 7:14 pm

and what did he do for a living to afford such items? ???

Maybe he starred in porn flicks.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/27/12 at 1:41 am

He could have just put it all on a credit card. After all he was a college student, and we all know how aggressively the credit card companies target young college students who might be rather naive when it comes to financial matters, so in addition to their student loans they might also be saddled with an additional $10-20K in credit card bills by the time they graduate. 

And if that's the case, it's not as if the shooter ever had any intention of paying his bills off. ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/27/12 at 6:49 am

Maybe Holmes bought his arsenal with money his dad sent him for school. 

Then his parents should be held responsible.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/12 at 6:52 am

Maybe he starred in porn flicks.

I think you're referring to John Holmes (porn actor)

http://incogman.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/JAMES-HOLMES-ADULT-FRIEND-FINDER.jpg
James Holmes
But they do almost look alike, see for yourself:

http://www.nndb.com/people/965/000024893/johnHolmes.jpg
John Holmes

Written By: Starde on 07/27/12 at 12:55 pm

O0 good luck. 
Got my BA in Film @ UCSB

Thanks! Great to see a fellow film major around here! 8)

Disturbing: Women on Twitter Think James Holmes Is ‘Hot,’ ‘Sexy,’ ‘Cute’

Article here: http://jezebel.com/5927828/disturbing-james-holmes-twitter-groupies-think-hes-hot-sexy-cute

I believe the proper response for this is: "What the ****?!" >:( 8-P

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/12 at 4:08 pm

Article here: http://jezebel.com/5927828/disturbing-james-holmes-twitter-groupies-think-hes-hot-sexy-cute

. Same here. O0

It's like those crazy women who write love letters to (or marry) people incarserated. Guess there truly is someone for everyone.  ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/27/12 at 5:53 pm

Then his parents should be held responsible.

No, Howard, they shouldn't.  Once you are 18 you parents are no longer responsible for your actions and that is how it should be.  If his parents aren't involved why should they take the blame.  You can't blame the parents for the actions of the adult children.  There is a point in life that you need to take responsibility for your own actions.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/12 at 6:07 pm

. Same here. O0

It's like those crazy women who write love letters to (or marry) people incarcerated. Guess there truly is someone for everyone.  ::)

Holmes will get marriage proposals out the yingyang!

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/27/12 at 6:22 pm

I think you're referring to John Holmes (porn actor)
But they do almost look alike, see for youself:

http://www.nndb.com/people/965/000024893/johnHolmes.jpg

If Detective Wadd had been at that movie theatre, James Holmes woulda never made it out alive.

Johnny woulda clubbed him to death.  :P

Written By: Howard on 07/27/12 at 7:21 pm

he probably never had a date in his life!

Written By: Howard on 07/27/12 at 7:22 pm

Holmes will get marriage proposals out the yingyang!

Once the women find out about him they'll wind up jumping off the East River.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/12 at 8:31 pm

Once the women find out about him they'll wind up jumping off the East River.

Nah, New York broads are too sophisticated for a punk like Homes.  He's more the Muskogee Meth Milf type!
:D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/28/12 at 8:15 pm

Is it just me, or does James Holmes look kind of like "Dickless" from Ghostbusters?

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/James_Holmes_court_appearance_mr_120723_wg.jpg

http://tickateeboo.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/ghostbusters-20090702101439824-000.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/12 at 9:49 pm

CNN is milking the Aurora massacre for all it's worth and then some.  It's totally disgusting.  There's no story to it, just a lot of emo twisting.
8-P

Written By: Starde on 07/28/12 at 10:14 pm

CNN is milking the Aurora massacre for all it's worth and then some.  It's totally disgusting.  There's no story to it, just a lot of emo twisting.
8-P

Reason why I haven't really been watching the news lately. The media and its ridiculous sensationalism... ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/29/12 at 6:36 am

Is it just me, or does James Holmes look kind of like "Dickless" from Ghostbusters?

http://tickateeboo.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/ghostbusters-20090702101439824-000.jpg

Nah, no resemblance.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/12 at 6:41 am

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/qNDlYh7TrPQ/0.jpg

He needs a nap,perhaps a DIRT nap! >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/12 at 6:59 am

I predict there will be James Holmes wig-and-prison-shirt costumes for this coming Hallowe'en.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/12 at 7:15 am

I predict there will be James Holmes wig-and-prison-shirt costumes for this coming Hallowe'en.

don't answer the door!  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/12 at 5:08 pm

If this @$$hole did this for the publicity, I for one have NEVER used his name nor have I posted his pic. I am not going to give the satisfaction of that. I try not to do that will any mass murderer.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 07/29/12 at 5:54 pm

If this @$$hole did this for the publicity, I for one have NEVER used his name nor have I posted his pic. I am not going to give the satisfaction of that. I try not to do that will any mass murderer.

Cat

We seem to be creeping away from the issue at hand here. There is no way of knowing the intent of a
person buying a gun legal or not. No matter how many laws are in place or how much control there is
if someone is hellbent on destruction they will achieve it no matter what. Notoriety seems to be the
biggest motive for these nut jobs. The media sensationalism all but ensures more scum bags will do the
same thing.

That nut bag had it all planned right down to the pyschiatrist. the defense now has an excuse to keep the death
penalty off the table and this scum wad gets to sit in a cell and have his exploits remebered for a long time. He
knows that propaganda freak will make another one sided, fiction infused with very little fact documentary, like
the one about Columbine. There will be books, movies and crime shows all about him and he'll just sit in his cell
and wallow in his new found celebrity because that prison justice thing everyone is hoping for just doesn't happen.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/12 at 7:35 pm

I wonder how many weeks or months he had this planned out?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/12 at 8:09 pm

.... There will be books, movies and crime shows all about him and he'll just sit in his cell
and wallow in his new found celebrity because that prison justice thing everyone is hoping for just doesn't happen.

It happened for Jeffrey Dahmer and John Geoghan.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/29/12 at 8:33 pm

One was killed by a guy who said, "God told me to do it." and the other by a guy who didn't like homosexuals.
Violence in prison is common and sometimes the right person gets what's coming but the reason they are killed
isn't for the reason we hope for. prisoners don't care what these people do on the outside or who they murder,
rape or rob but if they have nothing to lose and want a little notoriety for themselves, there is the motive and It
has nothing to do with justice for the victims.

Written By: snozberries on 07/29/12 at 9:06 pm

John Geoghan is a name I'm not familiar with

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/30/12 at 5:25 am

John Geoghan is a name I'm not familiar with

He was a perv priest up in Massachusetts...

Written By: snozberries on 07/30/12 at 11:11 am

He was a perv priest up in Massachusetts...

you say that like he's the only one  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/12 at 8:00 pm

The loony who killed Dahmer didn't even realize it was Dahmer he killed!

Holmes is going to require protective custody if the state wants him to kill him before the other prisoners...or the guards.  They should let him keep dyeing his hair fluorescent orange for moving target practice.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/12 at 6:47 am

Holmes is going to require protective custody if the state wants him to kill him before the other prisoners...or the guards.  They should let him keep dyeing his hair fluorescent orange for moving target practice.

or maybe put some makeup on.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/31/12 at 7:28 pm

"It's not just you. That man has no dick."

Written By: Howard on 07/31/12 at 7:31 pm

"It's not just you. That man has no dick."

HA Good One Foo!  ;D

Written By: belmont22 on 08/02/12 at 9:40 am

Is it true that Dahmer died protecting another inmate? I heard that somewhere but I'm not sure. I always got the impression that Dahmer really was sorry for what he did, he didn't seem truly evil to me, more just very disturbed and sad.

Written By: warped on 08/08/12 at 7:56 pm

Even up here in Canada some idiot wants to follow in Holmes footsteps.

B.C. man charged for Facebook threat to repeat Colorado shootings

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/08/08/bc-north-vancouver-shooting-threat.html

A 32-year-old B.C. man is facing charges after allegedly threatening to repeat the Colorado shootings that left 12 people dead last month.

Mounties in North Vancouver say Ryan John Lewis "made significant death threats" on his Facebook page "to commit crimes similar to the recent shootings in Colorado."    Lewis was arrested Aug. 1 and charged with uttering threats. He was released from police custody on several conditions, including that he not have access to the internet.

Earlier this year Canada passed a bill to end the Long-Gun Registry Act, people are no  longer required to register non-restricted firearms. After what occurred in Colorado, being released warning him  that he not have access to the internet is a light slap on the wrist. How many more are out there like him.. :-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/12 at 9:23 pm

Is it true that Dahmer died protecting another inmate? I heard that somewhere but I'm not sure.

Dahmer and two other inmates got assigned to janitorial duty.  The guard left them unsupervised and one inmate, Christopher Scarver, beat the other two, Dahmer and Jesse Anderson, to death with a broom handle.  Dahmer and Anderson both died of their injuries in the prison infirmary.  Scarver suffered from Schizophrenia and said God made him do it.  I heard at the time Scarver wasn't aware of who Dahmer was.

I always got the impression that Dahmer really was sorry for what he did, he didn't seem truly evil to me, more just very disturbed and sad.

Sorry is a relative term when you're talking about a guy who ate his lovers' innards for lunch.  It appeared to me Dahmer mouthed his apologies as lawyers instructed but was unable to appreciate the consequences of his actions.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/07/12 at 3:15 am

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/092012/small_james%20holmes%20cosplay.jpg

So what's everybody doing for Hallowe'en?

Written By: warped on 10/07/12 at 7:35 am

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/092012/small_james%20holmes%20cosplay.jpg

So what's everybody doing for Hallowe'en?

There will be more of them as we get closer to Oct 31st. 

Written By: Howard on 10/07/12 at 3:15 pm

There will be more of them as we get closer to Oct 31st.

just don't answer your door.  :o

Written By: warped on 10/07/12 at 3:47 pm

just don't answer your door.  :o

Don't worry Howard, if a guy dressed like James Holmes shows up with a machine gun, I won't open the door! ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/08/12 at 6:46 am

Don't worry Howard, if a guy dressed like James Holmes shows up with a machine gun, I won't open the door! ;)

keep the doors locked at all times.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/12 at 8:14 pm

Are they giving him the death penalty?
Aren't they giving him him the death penalty?
???

Written By: warped on 10/08/12 at 8:57 pm

???

No trial yet.

In other news, it has been reported that a user on eBay tried to sell a James Holmes mask this week.  Although it's no longer listed on eBay, the mask apparently had a starting price of $500 and the advice to “SHOCK EVERYONE YOU KNOW!”

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/12 at 9:47 pm

No trial yet.

In other news, it has been reported that a user on eBay tried to sell a James Holmes mask this week.  Although it's no longer listed on eBay, the mask apparently had a starting price of $500 and the advice to “SHOCK EVERYONE YOU KNOW!”

Hey, I don't think this looks anything like James Homes.  I want my money back.
8)

Written By: Howard on 10/09/12 at 3:35 pm

???

no news has been reported as of yet.

Check for new replies or respond here...