inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will good mainstream music come back?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/20/12 at 9:59 pm

If it comes back by 2013, I will disown the 00s and call myself a 10s person.

Subject: Re: When will good mainstream music come back?

Written By: warped on 07/20/12 at 10:05 pm

I've been waiting since the late 1980s for good music to come back. I'm not holding my breath.

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/12 at 11:03 pm

Move to Canada or the UK.  We have all the good mainstream music.  The US chart is too much rap/hip-hop

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/21/12 at 12:49 am

There's plenty of good mainstream music out there, everybody who seriously asks the question is just too old to understand why.

(There's plenty of good mainstream music on my hard drive, it's under the folder "Stuff I like no matter how old it is".)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/12 at 5:54 am

There hasnt been decent mainstream music since the days of "More, More, More" and "Love Won't Let Me Wait".  :P

Written By: Howard on 07/21/12 at 6:41 am

I've been waiting since the late 1980s for good music to come back. I'm not holding my breath.

I remember a time when singers and groups used REAL instruments such as the piano, electric guitar, saxaphone trombone and the trumpet. To me, that was music.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/12 at 6:42 am

There hasnt been decent mainstream music since the days of "More, More, More" and "Love Won't Let Me Wait".  :P

You got that right.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/21/12 at 11:32 am

Move to Canada or the UK.  We have all the good mainstream music.  The US chart is too much rap/hip-hop

false  it was like that in 2005 not 2012

Written By: Creeder on 07/21/12 at 1:42 pm

Actually there always has been bad mainstream music in every era, just look at the charts in any retro year and you'll see how many fillers there were.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/12 at 2:26 pm

I honestly think (of course, in my opinion) that music is okay now.
If you're looking for rock music in the mainstream radio, then you'll be hard-pressed to find it. It's mostly dance, techno, and a little bit of rap now.
I think rock will return one day, maybe in 2020? Just be patient.

Written By: Creeder on 07/21/12 at 2:31 pm

I honestly think (of course, in my opinion) that music is okay now.
If you're looking for rock music in the mainstream radio, then you'll be hard-pressed to find it. It's mostly dance, techno, and a little bit of rap now.
I think rock will return one day, maybe in 2020? Just be patient.

I'm getting into indie rock and its actually pretty good, I hope more good bands emerge and become big in the  mid 2010s.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/21/12 at 6:42 pm

I'm getting into indie rock and its actually pretty good, I hope more good bands emerge and become big in the  mid 2010s.

dance pop is becoming oversaturated at the moment  like how teen boy bands were over saturated in 2000 and 2001

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 07/21/12 at 7:30 pm

I think people just need to realize that the 60s aren't coming back.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/12 at 7:31 pm

Actually there always has been bad mainstream music in every era, just look at the charts in any retro year and you'll see how many fillers there were.

Yeah Creeder but where the instruments that you used to hear the trumpet and saxophone?  ???

Written By: Howard on 07/21/12 at 7:32 pm

I think people just need to realize that the 60s aren't coming back.

Yeah the Motown era has been gone for 40 years.

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/12 at 8:58 pm

false  it was like that in 2005 not 2012

Apparently you do not look at the US chart lately

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/22/12 at 11:12 am

what are you smoking ???
Apparently you are the one who does not look at the us chart lately .

http://picyou.com/storage/production/temp_images/968748/medium_ituneszzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg?1342973536

Written By: slim on 07/22/12 at 12:07 pm

Never.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/22/12 at 1:22 pm

Never.

lol

Written By: Starde on 07/22/12 at 4:53 pm

There's good music out there. You just have to wade through the **** to find it.

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/12 at 5:01 pm

what are you smoking ???
Apparently you are the one who does not look at the us chart lately .

http://picyou.com/storage/production/temp_images/968748/medium_ituneszzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg?1342973536

That's not the US Hot 100

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/22/12 at 5:07 pm

That's not the US Hot 100

But this is  and I just proved you wrong  ;D

http://picyou.com/storage/production/temp_images/969699/medium_top100.jpg?1342994840

Written By: Creeder on 07/23/12 at 6:04 am

Hip-Hop songS don't dominate the charts anymore.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/12 at 6:47 am

Hip-Hop song don't dominate the charts anymore.

I think funk and disco dominates the charts now. (just kidding)  ;)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/23/12 at 11:47 am

exactly

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/12 at 12:41 pm

Thank God.  :-\\ ;D ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/12 at 12:43 pm

I think what whistledog was trying to say is that there still is some influence of hip hop/R and B in even the dance music today.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/25/12 at 3:55 am

Maybe if you look at the hip-hop chart there will be too much hip-hop ::).

Written By: belmont22 on 07/25/12 at 5:32 am

Hip hop doesnt dominate the charts but I'd still say it's the most listened genre of music. There's probably more people who listen to Eminem's old albums than listen to Carly Rae Jepsen's music. Unfortunately.

Written By: Creeder on 07/25/12 at 6:21 am

Hip hop doesnt dominate the charts but I'd still say it's the most listened genre of music. There's probably more people who listen to Eminem's old albums than listen to Carly Rae Jepsen's music. Unfortunately.

Same can be told about classic rock and rock as a whole. Rock album sales are still ok.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/12 at 6:44 am

Same can be told about classic rock and rock as a whole. Rock album sales are still ok.

shouldn't the genre be just one: rock-pop? ???

Written By: Creeder on 07/25/12 at 7:06 am

shouldn't the genre be just one: rock-pop? ???

Pop can be dance, R&B, rock... it's always chaging.

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/12 at 7:09 pm

I'm looking at the complete Hot 100 as a whole, not just the Top 10 or even just the Top 40, and true, the US Top 40 is not as dominant of rap/hip-hop, but there's more an just a Top 40

Written By: Jquar on 07/25/12 at 10:32 pm

Hip hop's popularity has been waning in the U.S. since the Soulja Boy days. I think that was kind of the beginning of the end for hip hop as a really mainstream craze. Nowadays we're left with dance stuff that's only moderately hip hop influenced, and underground hip hop is probably going to make a comeback.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/26/12 at 3:34 am

Good mainstream music has already come back! Since 2009 I think.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/12 at 7:15 am

What about the days of when groups sung with real instruments or was that phased out long time ago?  ???

Written By: elr on 07/26/12 at 5:48 pm

Mainstream music has not been good for about 10 years.  The 00's and 10's were a cultural wasteland.  Everything sounded overproduced to compensate for a lack of being cool or interesting.  Most of the music then and today is built upon hype.  It all sounds the same, generic, regular melodies, with that hard cold electro sounding production, promoted by artists who are so heavily marketed, and who's image is disconnected from the actual music, i.e.  Lady Gaga. To get back on topic, I don't think mainstream music will be good for a long time it's in a state of contrived blandness, unless something interesting comes out in 2013/2014.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 07/26/12 at 8:19 pm

Is it just me, or was music really looking up around 2010 or so, but soon decayed into obnoxious trance-pop?

Written By: belmont22 on 07/27/12 at 8:17 am

Is it just me, or was music really looking up around 2010 or so, but soon decayed into obnoxious trance-pop?

I noticed that too. On the other hand 2010 had some horrible stuff (Kesha), but yeah it turned into crap like Rihanna and Pitbull. I was hoping Lights and Owl City were gonna rule the charts. Ah well.

Written By: Shiv on 07/27/12 at 10:44 am

I think 2012 has been better than 2010/11. More traditional pop, a little less electropop and a lot less autotune.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/29/12 at 12:55 am

There is not a single hip hop/rap song on the American top 40.....  ???

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/29/12 at 12:56 am

i agree though, Canada has a better top 40.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/29/12 at 1:03 am

What do you mean unfortunately? Carly Jepsen is pretty good but not comparable to Hip Hop! Rap and Hip Hop takes talent you know? I hope it comes back again mainstream in my lifetime and Eminem makes a big comeback in his 50s!  :D

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/29/12 at 1:05 am

Mainstream music seems like it's getting better. There is a lot of hippy/Indie songs making it to the top 40. I think it's time for a change and it will turn to the better. I am going to be sad and embarrassed though that my deacade (the 00s) will be known as the worst decade for music in history if that really happens!  :\'(

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/29/12 at 6:46 pm

Mainstream music seems like it's getting better. There is a lot of hippy/Indie songs making it to the top 40. I think it's time for a change and it will turn to the better. I am going to be sad and embarrassed though that my deacade (the 00s) will be known as the worst decade for music in history if that really happens!  :\'(

Lana Del Ray is one person that is 60s ish sounding.    The indie 60s movement is really big in San Fransico and La area right now  not mega big  but its own little cult,  You do realize its going to be the opposite of what is happening now    Autotune and Synthesized music.
People are already getting tired of it.  Timbaland a producer notorious for starting this dance trend you see ( Sexy Back )  has recently stated in a interview that dubstep is garbage and the dance trend has gone the wrong way.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/20/12 at 11:37 pm

Very surprisingly, like never before, Canadian mainstream music sounds very different to American music. Much better actually. Canadian pop music used to always be almost identical to U.S. (Canadian Top 40 and U.S. Top 40) over the previous decades but now it's going with that European flare kind of. Of course we had our differences before as well with Hippy Nelly and Micheal Buble, but it's much more different now. Canadian pop music/culture now is pretty much defined as Electronic music as well but matured electronic music. It's actually like Indie Electronica and that really shows through songs like "Stereo Love" and "Let it go" which were popular on the charts for a long time, almost a year. Another fad in Canada is House music which is very popular around here.

Check for new replies or respond here...