inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sir Elton John scores first number one album in 20 years

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/12 at 2:58 pm

Sir Elton John has returned to the UK album chart with his first number one in more than 20 years.

Good Morning to the Night went straight in to the top spot, replacing singer-songwriter Newton Faulkner, whose album Write It On Your Skin fell 10 places.

In the singles chart, British band Florence + the Machine held on to number one for a second week, with Spectrum (Say My Name).

The band beat Maroon 5, who held firm at number two with Payphone.

Good Morning to the Night is Sir Elton's first number one album since November 1990 when he released the Very Best of Elton John, a greatest hits package. His last studio album to top the charts was Sleeping With The Past in June the same year.

Good Morning to the Night is the British star's collaboration with Australian electro-duo, Pnau and is a refashioning of the musical veteran's early-70s catalogue into eight new songs.

Such collaborations have brought Sir Elton success in the past. He had a surprise number one single in 2005, when the Tupac Shakur song Ghetto Gospel, which sampled Sir Elton's 1971 hit Indian Sunset, was posthumously released.

In this week's singles chart, Florence + the Machine held on to number one for the second week - a week after the band had to pull out of appearances at two European festivals because singer Florence Welch had lost her voice.

According to figures from the Official Charts Company, Chris Brown's Don't Wake Me Up moved up one place to three, and Black Eyed Peas frontman Will.I.Am dropped one place to number four with This Is Love.

There were only two new entries to this weeks official album chart - Elton John and Nas, who reached number eight with Life is Good.

Rapper Frank Ocean's Channel Orange slipped one place to number three, replaced by Maroon Five who moved up a place to number two with Overexposed.

Check for new replies or respond here...