inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will you watch the 2012 London Summer Olympics?

Written By: warped on 07/23/12 at 7:11 pm

Just wondering if you'll be watching or not. They begin on Friday, July 27th.
What do you usually watch at the Olympics?

Maximum 2 votes per person.

Subject: Re: Will you watch the 2012 London Summer Olympics?

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 7:19 pm

How nice... you put an option in there just for Howard!  ;D 

I'm not planning on watching. I'm not a big fan of the Olympics. I may... and it's a big may... watch some of the basketball, but only if USA is playing and only if I stumble across the fact that it's happening. I'm not actively seeking it out and don't care one way or another if I wind up seeing none of it...

Written By: Dagwood on 07/23/12 at 8:48 pm

You didn't put an option for me....I like the opening and closing ceremonies but I also like the gymnastics.  I will probably watch swimming, too.  Not for the girls, though. ;D

Written By: warped on 07/23/12 at 8:51 pm

You didn't put an option for me....I like the opening and closing ceremonies but I also like the gymnastics.  I will probably watch swimming, too.  Not for the girls, though. ;D

Good idea there, I've added the "gymnastics" option, as well as "basketball".

Written By: Dagwood on 07/23/12 at 8:52 pm

Yay!  Thanks, I voted then. :)

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 8:54 pm

too late for me.. .it was inaccurate anyway  :D   

Written By: warped on 07/23/12 at 8:56 pm

Yay!  Thanks, I voted then. :)

I might be warped, but also flexible.

I just hope no one wants an option of "I'm only watching my favorite breed of horse in the dressage contest, but only if the ryder is from an African country and if he wears glasses, and if it's after my dinner (as long as the kids do the dishes)"

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/12 at 9:00 pm

I might be warped, but also flexible.

I just hope no one wants an option of "I'm only watching my favorite breed of horse in the dressage contest, but only if the ryder is from an African country and if he wears glasses, and if it's after my dinner (as long as the kids do the dishes)"

AW MAN!!! THAT'S THE OPTION I WOULD'VE PICKED!!! That...or bobsledding Jamaicans!  :D

Written By: karen on 07/24/12 at 3:35 am

Probably going to go down town to watch the opening ceremony on a big screen.

Will watch a session of table tennis live in the arena on Saturday.

Might catch a bit of the cycle road race while we're in London.

Will probably watch something every day or at least catch the highlights, depending on the actual events schedule.  Not interested in handball, greco-roman wrestling, beach volleyball or the equestrian events (even though we stand a chance of winning a medal or two in this)

Written By: Howard on 07/24/12 at 6:34 am

How nice... you put an option in there just for Howard!

ah... who cares!  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/12 at 6:38 am

Gimme a comfortable chair, I'm watching everything I can!

... a may still see some of the road cycling live.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/12 at 10:37 am

My answer isn't up there. It is a cross between "Don't know" or "Maybe." I may catch a bit of it but it is not on my list of things to do.

Cat

Written By: warped on 07/24/12 at 10:52 am

How nice... you put an option in there just for Howard!  ;D 

Since the "bikini" option has 0 votes so far, I assume Howard has not voted yet.

Written By: snozberries on 07/24/12 at 12:01 pm

Since the "bikini" option has 0 votes so far, I assume Howard has not voted yet.

;D

Written By: Howard on 07/24/12 at 7:19 pm

I don't want to vote.

Written By: Starde on 07/24/12 at 7:44 pm

If I'm in the mood, maybe I'll catch the opening ceremony. Maybe.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/12 at 12:42 am

Please add an option, stay at home because of the impending transportation strikes.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/25/12 at 1:08 am

I'm not watching the olympics, since I don't care for sports related events.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/25/12 at 1:41 am

I'll watch the College Girls All Nude Gymnastics--and--Beach Volleyball...but that's about it.
8)

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/25/12 at 3:50 am

I hope I can watch the Olympics. I've been having problems with my satellites losing signal lately. I'm curious as to how the opening ceremony is going to be. The Beijing 2008 Olypmics opening ceremony was phenomenal. I'm wondering if London could match up to it.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/12 at 6:50 am

I'll watch the College Girls All Nude Gymnastics--and--Beach Volleyball...but that's about it.
8)

nude gymnastics? Wow I'll watch it now. :D

Written By: fusefan on 07/25/12 at 2:43 pm

Didn't really watch them that much last time. Maybe this year I might pay attention to them, I dunno.  :-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/25/12 at 10:57 pm

8)

Our words are strong, but... our votes are weak.  The boobie events still stand at 0%.

Written By: Jessica on 07/25/12 at 11:51 pm

My son is showing a strong interest in it, so we'll probably catch what we can.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/12 at 1:53 am

All set up now!!!

Written By: meesa on 07/27/12 at 8:12 am

I am an Olympics junkie...love it. Always try to catch all of it that I can! :)

Written By: warped on 07/27/12 at 12:29 pm

Only a few hours away, think it begins at 4pm my time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/12 at 12:34 pm

Only a few hours away, think it begins at 4pm my time.
18:30 here, BBC TV are capturing the atmosphere around London and the UK at 19:00, and the opening ceremony starts at 21:00. I should dash to the TV now.

Something should be happening at 20:12 tonight!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/12 at 2:20 pm

18:30 here, BBC TV are capturing the atmosphere around London and the UK at 19:00, and the opening ceremony starts at 21:00. I should dash to the TV now.

Something should be happening at 20:12 tonight!
It was the airplane display team the Red Arrows!

Written By: Creeder on 07/27/12 at 2:31 pm

Only 30 minutes 'till the opening ceremony starts! Can't wait!

Written By: Inertia on 07/27/12 at 6:07 pm

No, I honestly cannot stand watching sports. They are more fun to play than to watch. -.- Plus, it makes me angry because they always air it when Days of Our Lives is supposed to be shown and I've been watching that since I was a kid with my mom. If I watch the olympics at all it will be in small doses.

Written By: Starde on 07/27/12 at 9:52 pm

Alright, looks like I will be watching the Olympics more often than usual this time around since my roommate loves watching it. So far, I'm liking the opening ceremony.

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/27/12 at 10:15 pm

There isn't an option for me.

I don't like the opening and closing ceremonies, they are complete BS, but I will watch any number of the actual sporting events, gymnastics, track, swimming whatever as long as there is some real competition to bee seen and a real contest to be watched. And not just the athletes from my home country either.

I don't care for the opening ceremony crap, and don't see how it has ANYTHING to do with the actual effort and training the athletes have done to get to the Olympics.

I just watched about 20 mins of the opening and I saw a choreographed mess of nurses and doctors and beds with sick kids on them jumping up and down on the beds. THEN a rapper with a little house being moved around within a crowd of lights, and...a MOSH pit?

WTH? WTF has any of any of this got to do with all of the countries of the world bringing their best trained and capable athletes to a center location to compete to see what they are capable of?  ::)

If I want ridiculus stage shows or entertainment, I have 1200 channels of cable, 900 channels of satellite radio and, of course the internet.

For sports, I want to see SPORTS. >:(

/rant.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/28/12 at 1:53 am

The opening ceremonies will give Danny Boyle, and anyone who tried to watch them, nightmares for years to come.  It was just awful.  8-P

Written By: warped on 07/28/12 at 2:11 am

The opening ceremonies will give Danny Boyle, and anyone who tried to watch them, nightmares for years to come.  It was just awful.  8-P

After watching Beijing's 4 years ago, this was a letdown. I still like the Rowan Atkinson bits. I was waiting for Monty Python's giant foot to come down at some point and squish everything.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/12 at 2:34 am

After watching Beijing's 4 years ago, this was a letdown. I still like the Rowan Atkinson bits. I was waiting for Monty Python's giant foot to come down at some point and squish everything.
I knew something was missing last night!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/12 at 6:27 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/2012/newsspec_4016/img/olympic_opening_976.jpg

How did Danny Boyle do?

Written By: Jessica on 07/28/12 at 1:08 pm

I enjoyed it, but I watched the Live feed (and I'm a massive Anglophile, so I enjoyed the nods to the history and culture of the UK).  Heard NBC completely botched their airing of it by cutting stuff and airing commercials every five minutes.

Written By: james bond on 07/29/12 at 1:32 pm

I personally feel based on careful research from higher sources that:

"There will be a defying moment in British history" during the  summer Olympics...

It will be the epitome for what started the first political culture of the 2010's!

i see the media rolling it out now. Remember what Rodney said about the security measures being "disconcerting" this pass week?

I'm scared to see anything bad happening during the olympics, but you can never be too sure if it does occur.
Yes I watched the opening ceremony and i felt this erie feeling about it...

Written By: philbo on 07/30/12 at 6:11 am

Ah.. that answers one question: I was watching on Saturday morning (I had a gig Friday, and was finishing my set with this surreal scene unfolding on a silent TV screen in the background) with my family wondering how the rest of the world would deal with it - there are so many nods to and namechecks for so many parts of British history and culture, if you didn't get the references it'd feel even weirder than if you did.  Not sure where the neon cycling doves came in, though.. (though they were very pretty).

There've been (well-supported) calls for Danny Boyle to get a knighthood for the opening ceremony.. after getting over my initial "WTF??" sort of feeling, I'm in awe of what he managed to achieve, both technically and with a wonderful bit of self-deprecatory humour.  But I can completely understand the rest of the world not getting it at all.

Check for new replies or respond here...