inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Class of 05 vs Class of 12

Written By: joeman on 07/25/12 at 7:28 pm

Anyone seen the new 21 Jump Street?  Basically stars 2 people in their mid 20s, one a jock, the other is a nerd.  Basically they join a police academy and gets assign to be undercover cops at a high school posed as high schoolers.  Both know the rules of HS changed, the popular kids are more tolerant, love comic books, and are environmentalist.  The nerd fits in perfectly but the jock is left as an outcast(irony).

To those that graduated HS in the early 2010s, do you think that movie or my summary of it was accurate?  I graduated in 02(really should been 03), and HS back then was very different from what was now shown in the movie.  We still jocks that would bully the nerd, and the environmentalist were a niche group.

Subject: Re: Class of 05 vs Class of 12

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/26/12 at 2:03 pm

I'm in the Class of 2005, and I can't imagine that all that much has changed in seven years. At my school, students that got good grades were often mocked as being "nerds", and the only kids that cared about pollution were those that wanted to keep virtual citizens from fleeing their smog filled cities on SimCity 4.

Now, I obviously can't speak to what high school is like in the early '10s, but I can't see it being all that different.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/27/12 at 10:35 am

I was class of '09, but started in Fall of '05, and I never noticed a shift in social strata in those 4 years at my school. Maybe it was because I went to a relatively large school (2700ish kids), but it wasn't like the movies and tv where the jocks were worshiped at the top and picked on the nerds though. If you thought certain people were "below you", you most likely just ignored their existence. When I was in high school, the "emo" scene was at it's peak, so they tended to be mocked, I assume mostly behind their backs. And the anime-obsessed people who whore cat ears  :o. The jocks all hung out together but as far as I know didn't throw slushies at the kids in glee club or anything ;D The closest thing we had to outright bullies were the wannabe-gangsta kids who would cause trouble, but they didn't really bother anyone I guess unless your provoked them somehow :-\\.

Written By: Inertia on 07/28/12 at 1:54 pm

I'm the class of 2007 here. Bullying of nerds and kids who were unusual by jocks and rich kids was commonplace in my school.

Girls typically acted more horrible than the guys when it came to bullying though and would pretend to be friendly while taking jabs at you. -__-

In my opinion, bullying was much worse in middle school than in high school though. I was bullied in middle school, but people rarely messed with me in high school. I don't know if it was because I earned a reputation for owning fools that tried to get smart with me or what, but I did see other kids being bullied around me.

;\ Bus bullying was the worst of all. You did not want to be the hated kid on the bus because people would make your day miserable and not let you sit with them. There was an overweight boy on my bus who nobody liked and people were very mean to him.

Check for new replies or respond here...