inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The mid 2010's will be Neo 60's

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/29/12 at 1:06 am

Everything seems to be pointing to a a neo 60s ( occupy wallstreet ) ( Goyete Adele ) ( Mtvs sudden push of indie music )
I already can see where this is headed however it might not turn out like that  it could have a  2002 effect where one genre
completely! destroys any chance of an upcoming genre taking over . This happened when artists like Vanessa Carlton and others
tryed bringing folk in . I def see a Neo 60s type thing happeneing  there are so many underground acts using the 60s psydedelic/melodic
hippie feel to music thats its going to catch on as a mainstream trend

Subject: Re: The mid 2010's will be Neo 60's

Written By: joeman on 07/29/12 at 2:22 pm

I am not sure if the 60s have even ever left the influence imo :).  But I do know, starting from 2011(or 2008), the Baby Boomer are starting to retire in numbers so we might see 60s nostalgia for Senior citizens soon.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/12 at 3:42 pm

Everything seems to be pointing to a a neo 60s ( occupy wallstreet ) ( Goyete Adele ) ( Mtvs sudden push of indie music )
I already can see where this is headed however it might not turn out like that  it could have a  2002 effect where one genre
completely! destroys any chance of an upcoming genre taking over . This happened when artists like Vanessa Carlton and others
tryed bringing folk in . I def see a Neo 60s type thing happeneing  there are so many underground acts using the 60s psydedelic/melodic
hippie feel to music thats its going to catch on as a mainstream trend

Vanessa Carlton did folk music?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/29/12 at 4:12 pm

Vanessa Carlton did folk music?

it was folk inspired

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/29/12 at 4:23 pm

I am not sure if the 60s have even ever left the influence imo :).  But I do know, starting from 2011(or 2008), the Baby Boomer are starting to retire in numbers so we might see 60s nostalgia for Senior citizens soon.

lol

it is kind of like in 2006 when dance pop crept up and no one noticed 2 much like  ( Rihannah Sos & Sexy Back)  its like that now with
Adele and Lana Del Ray  and other indie psychedelic acts  we are in that stage  where its in stage 1 take off ,  stage 2  would be  were dance pop was in 2010  instead of dance pop obv indie music for 2014

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/12/12 at 11:41 pm

So Neo 60's mean a 60's revival right? Like a comeback with popular nostolgia? So kinda like 90s was to 70s and 00s was to 80s?

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/13/12 at 12:26 am

So Neo 60's mean a 60's revival right? Like a comeback with popular nostolgia? So kinda like 90s was to 70s and 00s was to 80s?

I actually think a 90s revival is more likely. With Alice In Chains and Soundgarden and not to mention others back on the scene. I can look for a good list to post here of 90s artists. Note that even though Faith No More are unlikely to do another studio album, they did reform in 2009.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/13/12 at 12:48 pm

I actually think a 90s revival is more likely. With Alice In Chains and Soundgarden and not to mention others back on the scene. I can look for a good list to post here of 90s artists. Note that even though Faith No More are unlikely to do another studio album, they did reform in 2009.

90s as well as  60s  ( 90s was a 60s and 70s counterpart ) so 60s have to be included

but trust me neo 60s all the way

Written By: whistledog on 09/13/12 at 4:29 pm

( Mtvs sudden push of indie music )

But MTV didn't exist in the 60s.  Music videos didn't exist in the 60s.  This is wrong.  WRONG! WRONG!

http://douggoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/YoureWrongSheen.png

http://faroutshirts.com/images/PriceWrong-Preview.png

http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/webby/tongue.gif

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/13/12 at 5:34 pm

But MTV didn't exist in the 60s.  Music videos didn't exist in the 60s.  This is wrong.  WRONG! WRONG!

http://douggoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/YoureWrongSheen.png

http://faroutshirts.com/images/PriceWrong-Preview.png

http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/webby/tongue.gif

its going to be like a new 60s 

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/13/12 at 5:44 pm

90s as well as  60s  ( 90s was a 60s and 70s counterpart ) so 60s have to be included

but trust me neo 60s all the way

Some 2008 and later stuff...

First, this release made history by being the first ever album to be certified platinum on video game sales alone. The lead track "Black Rain" was a Grammy nomination:

http://File:Soundgarden Telephantasm cover.jpg

This gold-certified album boasts two Grammy-nominated tracks in addition to making Alice In Chains the first ever band to have more than one song reach #1 on the US Rock Songs chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AIC_FINAL_COVERsmall.jpg

History is being made right here. And apparently I just discovered that this came out in 2008 and while it hasn't made history the way the above have, it's more evidence that grunge has been in the air:

http://File:MudhoneyTheLuckyOnes.jpg

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/13/12 at 5:45 pm

DANG! is it just me, or are my pictures not showing up? Anyway, the albums are "Telephantasm", "Black Gives Way To Blue" and Mudhoney's 2008 release.

Written By: Emman on 09/13/12 at 6:52 pm

Pop culturally speaking I just don't see any significant '60s revival happening in the near future, I think the late '80s and '90s will be the main focus of nostalgia(mainly things like some of the dance music, kid's shows, ect), I mean the '60s was already retro cool from the mid '80s through late '90s. I also think there will be more new and distinctive trends in electronica/dance music and hip-hop in the mid/late '10s.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/13/12 at 6:58 pm

Pop culturally speaking I just don't see any significant '60s revival happening in the near future, I think the late '80s and '90s will be the main focus of nostalgia(mainly things like some of the dance music, kid's shows, ect), I mean the '60s was already retro cool from the mid '80s through late '90s. I also think there will be more new and distinctive trends in dance music and hip-hop in the mid/late '10s.

I wonder if that would invovle listening to a mid-2010s remake of "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice and at the same time drinking a can of a mid-2010s remake of Crystal Pepsi  8)

Written By: Howard on 09/13/12 at 7:25 pm

its going to be like a new 60s

What the hell are the new 60's?  ??? There is no new 60's!  ::)

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/13/12 at 8:35 pm

What the hell are the new 60's?  ??? There is no new 60's!  ::)

I agree, there isn't. The decade, regardless of any influences, will be it's own era anyway...

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 09/15/12 at 9:08 am

I don't see why anything you pointed out is sixties. (Other than Adele)
Indie is just indie, it isnt necessarily attatched to any decade.
Same with OWS, though liberals do tend to pick Vietnam protests as their self-pity story of choice.

Youre argument is kind of weak since it doesnt say what part of the sixties is coming in style ; hippies? psychedelic? Kennedy era?

I have noticed some psychedelic stuff more and more on album covers, but most of it looked more seventies than sixties. Of course the music on them might have been more sixties sounding, but I'm not much of a crate-digger so Ill take your word for it...

Motown, however, seems to be getting more and more hip. Lloyd released a Northern-soul style single last year (Dedication To My Ex), Adele is gaining more sucess than Winehouse or Duffy ever did and the early sixties glamour in Pitbulls "Back in Time" music video looked more in style than I could have thought.

But I doubt this would transform in to an actual cultural movement. My guess is that it could be a huge musical trend, but not a decadeological one. (sorry I had to use that word)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/15/12 at 9:57 am

I don't see why anything you pointed out is sixties. (Other than Adele)
Indie is just indie, it isnt necessarily attatched to any decade.
Same with OWS, though liberals do tend to pick Vietnam protests as their self-pity story of choice.

Youre argument is kind of weak since it doesnt say what part of the sixties is coming in style ; hippies? psychedelic? Kennedy era?

I have noticed some psychedelic stuff more and more on album covers, but most of it looked more seventies than sixties. Of course the music on them might have been more sixties sounding, but I'm not much of a crate-digger so Ill take your word for it...

Motown, however, seems to be getting more and more hip. Lloyd released a Northern-soul style single last year (Dedication To My Ex), Adele is gaining more sucess than Winehouse or Duffy ever did and the early sixties glamour in Pitbulls "Back in Time" music video looked more in style than I could have thought.

But I doubt this would transform in to an actual cultural movement. My guess is that it could be a huge musical trend, but not a decadeological one. (sorry I had to use that word)

Actually my argument is not weak as in  Peace sign jewelry is back ,  Yes a protest is a protest  but what do you most associate a protest with ? (the late 60s) In my  my earlier posts  i said  psychedelic ness is back  colors and music. Bands such as Passion Pit and others are using a 60s type sound.  the culture is changing right now          you just can't see it while its happening (as with any decade)  John Lennon made a song called Give Peace A Chance and it transformed everyone and created even more protests than there already was, so that argument isn't very valid.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/15/12 at 10:07 am

I think it will still be the 2010s.

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/12 at 11:39 am

But 2012 is more like 1969 than 2011 was to 1963.  But the styles of 1964 fit the motif of 2010 better than 1961 fits into 2011.

Written By: warped on 09/15/12 at 12:21 pm

But 2012 is more like 1969 than 2011 was to 1963.  But the styles of 1964 fit the motif of 2010 better than 1961 fits into 2011.

I agree with you except 2011 fits more into a springtime European 1738 than in 1961, for obvious reasons.

Written By: Howard on 09/15/12 at 3:29 pm

;D

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 09/15/12 at 6:53 pm

Actually my argument is not weak as in  Peace sign jewelry is back ,  Yes a protest is a protest  but what do you most associate a protest with ? (the late 60s) In my  my earlier posts  i said  psychedelic ness is back  colors and music. Bands such as Passion Pit and others are using a 60s type sound.  the culture is changing right now          you just can't see it while its happening (as with any decade)  John Lennon made a song called Give Peace A Chance and it transformed everyone and created even more protests than there already was, so that argument isn't very valid.

A protest is tied to Vietnam/The Civil Rights Movement only if the public choses to make that connection. Have they? And what was the Occupy movement other than a giant disaster? The only sucessful American protest movement of the decade was the Tea Party Movement, but of course, their rather hostile to the 60's. Modern liberals are too nitpicky to start another counter-culture, theyd rather sit at their computers, freaking out about some Chik-fil-a CEOs homophobia or trying to paint Republicans as racist.

Maybe your observations about psychedelic trends are right, but your evidence isnt very convincing. Nothing MTV has put out yet has been very hippie-oriented, except for the neo-soul stuff.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/15/12 at 11:25 pm

A protest is tied to Vietnam/The Civil Rights Movement only if the public choses to make that connection. Have they? And what was the Occupy movement other than a giant disaster? The only sucessful American protest movement of the decade was the Tea Party Movement, but of course, their rather hostile to the 60's. Modern liberals are too nitpicky to start another counter-culture, theyd rather sit at their computers, freaking out about some Chik-fil-a CEOs homophobia or trying to paint Republicans as racist.

Maybe your observations about psychedelic trends are right, but your evidence isnt very convincing. Nothing MTV has put out yet has been very hippie-oriented, except for the neo-soul stuff.

Occupy wall street is still going on right now it never ended. It was not a disaster if it hasn't ended. Keshas new album is produced by the flaming lips.  Did you not watch the segment where she ditches her former persona in favor of yoga/new age  if not go back and watch the 2012 vmas theres a pretty cool segment. That and the anti bullying thing its has gotten a huge push in the last 24 months.
Look at the itunes charts indie is slowly overtaking dance pop.  Here is a video mtv was airing during the sharpie campaign  at the vmas
the reason why I keep saying vmas is cuz mtv knows you will be watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPffqFN0K9w

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 09/16/12 at 6:03 am

Occupy wall street is still going on right now it never ended. It was not a disaster if it hasn't ended. Keshas new album is produced by the flaming lips.  Did you not watch the segment where she ditches her former persona in favor of yoga/new age  if not go back and watch the 2012 vmas theres a pretty cool segment. That and the anti bullying thing its has gotten a huge push in the last 24 months.
Look at the itunes charts indie is slowly overtaking dance pop.  Here is a video mtv was airing during the sharpie campaign  at the vmas
the reason why I keep saying vmas is cuz mtv knows you will be watching.

I just listened to Ke$ha's new song. Its awesome. Its the only thing you've brought up that actually sounds sixties.

The fact that Occupy Wall Street is still going makes it a disaster even more. Its accomplished nothing, gets no media attention, has little mainstream support, and has lost all sense of its goals a long time ago.

Anti-bullying, like all other post-hipster movements, is openly yuppie/bourgeoise/upperclass. They seem alot more like the seventies or the nineties, in the way liberal causes are administered from above. Very different than the actual sixties, when counter-culture was a thing of students and bearded weirdos, with little political power.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/16/12 at 11:01 am

go back earlier in this post where i posted new songs that are out now that sound 60s.
If you think they don't sound 60s then you need to go in the 60s portion of this site and re educate
yourself. Also watch A$AP rockys new video it has psychedelic effects in it . Watch Kanyes Nigga in paris
has psychedelic effects in it.

Oh heres a new ad campaign for Alexander Mqueen  HMMM  oh this cant be 60s rite?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5wXXJpQyxg&feature=player_embedded

Thought so

It  created awareness something that was lacking. The news isn't exactly the best place to get info on social upheaval.

Um Anti Bullying has been going on since 1989 has nothing to do with today. It just so happens Gaga made awareness of it  and
therefore gave it great attention.  How its Lady Gaga a post hipster. That makes no sense.  I have plenty of friends that are in non profit
anti bullying campaigns and they are poor. So that argument is null ;p

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 09/16/12 at 10:48 pm

Um Anti Bullying has been going on since 1989 has nothing to do with today.

If its from the 80's why did you bring it up? Its not sixties nor is it a sixties-type grassroots movement.

I just called it post-hipster, because its a mostly urban "moral crusade" type movement, that hipsters are drawn to. "Post" comes from a NYT article that described how hipster pretentiousness is fading as more hipsters join social movements that actually back-up their claims to moral superiority.

I get most of my new from blogs, and OWS, even without the MSM distortions, was a joke.
It could never agree on its goals, it was racked by factionalism, it never looked like something that could be taken seriously (due to participants not even trying to look like 99% of Americans) and most of its original participants stopped showing up.

The clearest sign of that failure is the excuses continuing members make to try and deny its failure; "but we Woke Americans up" "Media just wants you to believe that" etc. Its easy to recognize someone in denial.

I live in one of the blue-est cities in the country and I see little enthusiasm for grassroots politics. Most people's gameplan is to reelect Obama and everything will work out.

Anyways,  what do you mean by neo-60's? Is it a pop culture movement? Is it a pop culture and societal movement? Does it involve another counterculture or just a more subtle change in peoples thinking?

Written By: sonikuu on 09/17/12 at 12:19 am

Sometimes I think people get way too caught up into nostalgia revivals and predict that the 2010s will have a "90s sound" to its music or a "60s feel" to the era.  I'm pretty sure that, like previous eras, the 2010s will have its own unique feel that people will primarily associate with the 2010s rather than with some nostalgia revival.  Personally, I'd rather decades be unique than constantly be recycling stuff from the past. 

By the way, as someone who had sympathy for the movement, OWS wound up just being a flash in the pan that never fulfilled its potential and didn't amount to much in the end.  While I was off in Japan for a year, OWS came and then promptly went.  Coming back to America last month, I don't see any greater awareness of rich-poor wealth gaps, Wall Street corruption, etc. than I did before. 

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 12:36 am

Sometimes I think people get way too caught up into nostalgia revivals and predict that the 2010s will have a "90s sound" to its music or a "60s feel" to the era.  I'm pretty sure that, like previous eras, the 2010s will have its own unique feel that people will primarily associate with the 2010s rather than with some nostalgia revival.  Personally, I'd rather decades be unique than constantly be recycling stuff from the past. 

By the way, as someone who had sympathy for the movement, OWS wound up just being a flash in the pan that never fulfilled its potential and didn't amount to much in the end.  While I was off in Japan for a year, OWS came and then promptly went.  Coming back to America last month, I don't see any greater awareness of rich-poor wealth gaps, Wall Street corruption, etc. than I did before.

This I can agree with. There have been acts that were popular in the sixties and seventies that have released new music in the last few years. For example, The Beach Boys released "That's Why God Made The Radio". But there's plenty of names associated with the eighties that have released new music too such as Ultravox, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark and The Human League. And let's not forget nineties names such as Radiohead and Soundgarden. But you know that's one of the things I like about the tenties so far. It's securing places for 20th century styles in the 21st century, while at the same time, it's bound to pick up it's own "feel"/"sound" as time goes on. Personally, I wouldn't mind the tenties becoming some kind of indie explosion but hey, that's just me. Anything could happen and I am giving this decade a fair chance.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/17/12 at 10:06 pm

The political climate of 2010s America is too overwhelmingly conservative to support something like OWS. Even Obama is pretty much just as conservative as George W. Bush.

Written By: RG1995 on 09/17/12 at 10:59 pm

The political climate of 2010s America is too overwhelmingly conservative to support something like OWS. Even Obama is pretty much just as conservative as George W. Bush.
No he isn't.

Written By: John on 09/18/12 at 12:52 am

No he isn't.

He's basically a worse Bush in blackface. Enjoy your liberties being eroded in the name of security.

Written By: Martin on 09/18/12 at 4:50 am

I'll post my opinion from another topic:

I think the greaser subculture is due to a log-awaited overhaul. I mean recycling the 60s hippie/hipster look by rock bands and singers is so overdone, it gets on my nerves.
We've had so many acts having a 60s sound and look since the late 00's, that it's already getting old: Duffy, Amy Whinehouse, and later Adele, Gotye, and Lana DelRay. They're too much for me to care. I wish we had greaser bands/rockabilly chicks instead.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/18/12 at 4:58 am

I'll post my opinion from another topic:

I think the greaser subculture is due to a log-awaited overhaul. I mean recycling the 60s hippie/hipster look by rock bands and singers is so overdone, it gets on my nerves.
We've had so many acts having a 60s sound and look since the late 00's, that it's already getting old: Duffy, Amy Whinehouse, and later Adele, Gotye, and Lana DelRay. They're too much for me to care. I wish we had greaser bands/rockabilly chicks instead.

I say neither. Had I my druthers, I would make 2013-2029 the Steampunk era. A backlash against the utilitarian, over-designed look of logos/signage and appliances of the past 12-18 years, without actually forsaking the technology itself.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/18/12 at 12:20 pm

I say neither. Had I my druthers, I would make 2013-2029 the Steampunk era. A backlash against the utilitarian, over-designed look of logos/signage and appliances of the past 12-18 years, without actually forsaking the technology itself.

steampunk will never come back

Written By: tv on 09/23/12 at 7:56 pm

He's basically a worse Bush in blackface. Enjoy your liberties being eroded in the name of security.
I would agree Bush W. and Obama are mostly the same on foreign policy. Obama is different than Bush W. on economic matters though.

About OWS I agree with some of their concerns but their tactics are sometimes reckless.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/24/12 at 11:09 pm

I would agree Bush W. and Obama are mostly the same on foreign policy. Obama is different than Bush W. on economic matters though.

About OWS I agree with some of their concerns but their tactics are sometimes reckless.

but the idea is there lol

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/25/12 at 12:56 am

2010's will have it's own culture and identity with 90's nostalgia imo. Kinda like 00's and the big hype about the 80's. I see things starting to settle down and become more laid back and relaxed. Perhaps some good Hip Hop will make a comeback in the later part of the decade.

Check for new replies or respond here...