inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Doesn't it seem like ....

Written By: belmont22 on 07/31/12 at 1:07 am

Tattoos and piercings get more and more ubiquitous every year? In the mid to late 90's, even early 00's, it seemed like they were just a fad associated with alternative rock. Even then, it was more rebellious/'rough' kind of people who got them, not necessarily criminals of course but people with a hard edge. Nowadays though, you see every flavor of people, old ladies, sweet teenage girls, soccer moms, nerdy guys, etc with tattoos. In fact where I live it seems unusual for a young person between the ages of 18 and 35 not to have at least a little bit of ink, and a straight up Kat Von D ink suit isn't at all a strange sight.

Piercings as well have become more common. Having a nose ring, as late as like 2001 or so, put a person into the 'alterna' category. Nowadays, nose studs seem about as common as ear piercings, and belly button and even nipple piercings are pretty mainstream now.

Do you think the entirety of society has become more 'rough' and 'tribal' and that tattoos and piercings might be here to stay for generations or even centuries in the present frequencies? I know they've been around forever, but never in Western society have they been as common as they are now and have been the past 10-20 years. Until this generation, they have always been common only among certain indigenous people and certain subcultures.

Subject: Re: Doesn't it seem like ....

Written By: Shiv on 07/31/12 at 11:29 am

Yeah it does. It's become some kind of "rite of passage" or whatever. I don't like how they look on women.

Written By: Inertia on 07/31/12 at 12:07 pm

I used to have an industrial piercing in 2009 and 2010, but now I just have my ear lobes pierced twice. I don't have any tattoos. I don't like them. I personally don't think they look very classy on people.

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/31/12 at 12:12 pm

Yes, it does seem like it. My youngest cousins all have tattoos. I have never had one in my life and I do not plan on having one anytime soon lol. I can't imagine having an image imprinted on my body forever...it's kind of scary!

Written By: belmont22 on 07/31/12 at 3:04 pm

Yes, it does seem like it. My youngest cousins all have tattoos. I have never had one in my life and I do not plan on having one anytime soon lol. I can't imagine having an image imprinted on my body forever...it's kind of scary!

Yeah it's kind of strange. You'd think they would go out of style like everything else but it seems like every year more and more people who dislike them finally give in and start to want one.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/12 at 7:41 pm

people these days have all these tattoos all over their bodies they resemble murials.  ::)

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/31/12 at 8:05 pm

Yeah it does. It's become some kind of "rite of passage" or whatever. I don't like how they look on women.

Exactly! I remember as soon as my classmates either turned 18 or graduated from high school, they were in a mad rush to get a tattoo.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/31/12 at 8:32 pm

I've never really liked excesssive ink on a man or piercings. And as for me all I have is my ears pierced and plan to stay that way. I get six "piercings" a week with dialysis. That's enough needles for me. For a while, I contemplated an MJ tattoo, before he died, and quickly abandoned the idea when I realized to get a full color thing took multiple sessions costing multiple dollars. So I let it go. And I am less likely to be attracted to a man with ink, other than Adam Levine.  :)

Written By: gibbo on 07/31/12 at 9:20 pm

Even makes Adam Levine look tougher!

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/02/12 at 6:50 am

Now would be a great time to own/start up a tatoo laser removal business, with the potential for so many people wanting to get rid of them as they get older. I prefer to date a woman with NO tatoos, and sadly with these trends it seems like a tall order.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 08/02/12 at 7:09 am

I don't find dating a woman attractive with tattoos all over her body, makes her look like a murial.

Written By: Inertia on 08/02/12 at 7:37 am

I don't find dating a woman attractive with tattoos all over her body, makes her look like a murial.

I don't care for men with tattoos either so I know the feeling. Lol

Check for new replies or respond here...