inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eminem still the most popular musician

Written By: belmont22 on 08/02/12 at 9:31 am

It's kind of weird, I hardly ever hear about Eminem anymore. But then again, a large percentage of my friends on Facebook have liked him, and he's definitely the biggest name in hip hop, only Jay Z even comes remotely close.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/eminem-facebook-likes-breaks-60-million-destroys-lady-gaga-and-rihanna-79313/

How can we say the 00s are dated when Eminem is still the biggest musician there is  ;D

Subject: Re: Eminem still the most popular musician

Written By: Creeder on 08/02/12 at 10:07 am

Eminem is an icon.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/02/12 at 5:57 pm

Eminem isn't exactly POPULAR...As in, he's not "hot" like he was in the late 90s/early 2000s. But he's become a legend, and as someone else said, an icon. For example, Elvis was still an incredibly beloved icon in the 70s, well after the peak of his fame had passed; Michael Jackson's status as a pop cultural icon never truly faded, etc. It's not that Eminem is hot or truly relevant anymore the way he was ten years ago; he's just become a huge part of our popular culture's background. He's a guy who my generation--those in their 20s, entering their 20s--grew up listening to, a guy who appealed to people now in their late 30s and early 40s; He has cross-generational appeal. He's no longer the current "King of Controversy" or the most actively popular musician working right now--He's more like the Elvis of our time. His popularity as an artist has faded, but his status as a big time symbol, a beloved image in our modern culture, remains.

Written By: whistledog on 08/02/12 at 6:54 pm

Eminem is still the biggest musician there is

No

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/02/12 at 7:22 pm

EnemaN is a legend.

Written By: Emman on 08/02/12 at 7:39 pm

It's kind of weird, I hardly ever hear about Eminem anymore. But then again, a large percentage of my friends on Facebook have liked him, and he's definitely the biggest name in hip hop, only Jay Z even comes remotely close.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/eminem-facebook-likes-breaks-60-million-destroys-lady-gaga-and-rihanna-79313/

How can we say the 00s are dated when Eminem is still the biggest musician there is  ;D

Like OMG, Madonna was soooo popular well into the '90s, why was the '90s sooooo much like the '80s? How could people have thought of the '70s as dated in the '80s when Michael Jackson was one of the most popular singers around? ::)

Is it me or does this smell like Donnie Darko ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/02/12 at 11:03 pm

*playing Taps*

Music has died, it just WON'T LIE DOWN!

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/03/12 at 1:10 am

No

Eminem is too the most popular 'cause the Facebook "likes" says so... ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/03/12 at 5:41 am

Eminem was popular during his time in the 90's.

Written By: Creeder on 08/03/12 at 10:54 am

Eminem was popular during his time in the 90's.

Just one year from the 90's - 1999. He is core 2000's artist.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/04/12 at 12:08 am

What makes his music work is that it's lyrically complex, but the beats are relatively sparse, which makes his tracks fantastic fodder for remix/mashup.  For instance:

ier78EXaQtQ

- Eminem vs. AC/DC, My Name Is (Hard Rock Remix)

*playing Taps*

Music has died, it just WON'T LIE DOWN!

And now that the serious portion of my post is over, time to cross another off the list:

U1d9upxRq9Q

(Oh God Marshall Mathers, Please Don't Sue YellingAtCats...)

Written By: Inertia on 08/04/12 at 8:58 am

Eminem is an old star. I liked some of his songs too back in the day, but he's not the most popular musician in 2012.

Written By: Creeder on 08/04/12 at 9:06 am

Eminem is an old star. I liked some of his songs too back in the day, but he's not the most popular musician in 2012.

Maybe he's not popular with the 12 year olds, but if he was to release a new album it would sell at least 700-800k copies in one week.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/05/12 at 2:35 am

I wish! ;D Honestly though Eminem isn't very popular anymore. People rarely talk about him and he is pretty unheard of unfortunately. I'm guessing this is mainly due to the fact that rap is dead mainstream wise. Eminem is truly a rap legend though and will always be remembered and he was very successful in the 2000s. He will always be my favorite rapper.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/05/12 at 3:55 am

He came into prominence in 1999 and peaked in 2002. And still has hit songs once in a while.

Written By: Shiv on 08/05/12 at 8:38 am

I think most of Em's fans became fans in the late 90s/early 00s and just continue to buy the records.

Written By: Creeder on 08/05/12 at 9:39 am

I think most of Em's fans became fans in the late 90s/early 00s and just continue to buy the records.

I became Shady fan in the late 00s, but yeah old fans still buy him.

Check for new replies or respond here...