inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think current mainstream music will be wiped out by late 2013?

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/20/12 at 11:19 pm

I don't know why, but I feel like the current electro pop era that has been going on for years will be totally wiped out by late 2013. It will completely fade out and 2013 would be the year where it is rare before later in the year kinda like the style of music change from 2002 to 2003 (Though much less severe). I think electro pop music has done it's time and people are not really into it anymore. Not only that, but half the songs on the Billboard top 100 are already Alternative music and it's taking over it a lot. Do you think this style will stick around or disappear by late 2013?

Subject: Re: Do you think current mainstream music will be wiped out by late 2013?

Written By: Creeder on 08/21/12 at 2:07 am

I hope so, I want more alternative dark music taking over.

Subject: Re: Do you think current mainstream music will be wiped out by late 2013?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/21/12 at 5:57 am

I don't know why, but I feel like the current electro pop era that has been going on for years will be totally wiped out by late 2013. It will completely fade out and 2013 would be the year where it is rare before later in the year kinda like the style of music change from 2002 to 2003 (Though much less severe). I think electro pop music has done it's time and people are not really into it anymore. Not only that, but half the songs on the Billboard top 100 are already Alternative music and it's taking over it a lot. Do you think this style will stick around or disappear by late 2013?

I think more by summer 2013. If you remember the change between 2002 and 2003, it felt the first half of 2003 was a different world than the second half. Changes usually take place over summers.

Written By: Shiv on 08/21/12 at 10:02 am

So mid 90s 3.0?  ::)

Written By: slim on 08/21/12 at 11:46 am

I hope so!

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/22/12 at 6:52 am

its already happening

dont you find yourself thinking music got really bland this year?

Go into some music forums  and youll see posts like that .
Also singles arent doing good this year.

oh one more thing

Adele ?  Goyete? Lana Del ray?  Fun?

2012 nuff said  transition period

Written By: Emman on 08/22/12 at 2:07 pm

its already happening

dont you find yourself thinking music got really bland this year?

Go into some music forums  and youll see posts like that .
Also singles arent doing good this year.

oh one more thing

Adele ?  Goyete? Lana Del ray?  Fun?

2012 nuff said  transition period

2012 as a whole(so far) seems like a really watered down 2011, I don't see dance music going anywhere, I've been thinking since '09 that dance music would "stick" throughout the 2010s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/22/12 at 3:13 pm

2012 as a whole(so far) seems like a really watered down 2011, I don't see dance music going anywhere, I've been thinking since '09 that dance music would "stick" throughout the 2010s.

Do you think 2013 will be a watered down 2012?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/22/12 at 5:07 pm

I bet any one of you  400 dollars out of my pay pal that by 2015 dance music will be gone

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/22/12 at 5:28 pm

Do you think 2013 will be a watered down 2012?

2013 will have dance but it will be like in 2003  when teen pop bands were leaving . I promise you the early part of 2013 will have dance as some dance albums are being made right now but wont be released til 2013 so there are going to be 2012 albums  right now  that wont get a 2012 release  so  obv  2013 is going to have some dance  but its  just a hold over from not releasing it this year. Anyways  here are a few trends of music to look out for  2013 ( Neo 60s)  Note i am 99% positive this is the direction music is going
(Warning some of this may be new and scary to you ;p)

2013-2016  Pop Music trends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FHEn8rJ4Vw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmtsXAmKSkA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGdrypC4fec

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/22/12 at 10:40 pm

2013 will have dance but it will be like in 2003  when teen pop bands were leaving . I promise you the early part of 2013 will have dance as some dance albums are being made right now but wont be released til 2013 so there are going to be 2012 albums  right now  that wont get a 2012 release  so  obv  2013 is going to have some dance  but its  just a hold over from not releasing it this year. Anyways  here are a few trends of music to look out for  2013 ( Neo 60s)  Note i am 99% positive this is the direction music is going
(Warning some of this may be new and scary to you ;p)

2013-2016  Pop Music trends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FHEn8rJ4Vw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmtsXAmKSkA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGdrypC4fec

Wow, Thanks for sharing those videos! I really hope that is the direction music will go to. It looks like the 2010s will be an Electronica decade overall for sure. Hopefully mainstream music will improve in the next few years to all those videos!

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/22/12 at 11:59 pm

Wow, Thanks for sharing those videos! I really hope that is the direction music will go to. It looks like the 2010s will be an Electronica decade overall for sure. Hopefully mainstream music will improve in the next few years to all those videos!

I wouldnt say electronica but rather  spiritual neo 60s with some electronic up beat elements
even rap will have it.  But when you think about it all music is made electronically even if its rock jazz or etc on computers.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/23/12 at 12:39 am

Here is a few more for you and the whole board  to get a taste of 2013-2016 ( warning some of this maybe be scary again if not ready)

2013-2016 Pop Music Trends Part Deux

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mFZAOxtBp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X-UPxPZGnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjeo1sWeOwE

Written By: Howard on 08/23/12 at 7:09 am

I bet any one of you  400 dollars out of my pay pal that by 2015 dance music will be gone

But maybe dance music will still exist by 2015.

Written By: whistledog on 08/23/12 at 7:57 am

But maybe dance music will still exist by 2015.

Dance music is going nowhere 8)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/23/12 at 11:36 am

i have this post bookmarked so when it happens i can  show you over and over again.

Dance is already fading, Electronic aspects of it are not.  Coming from someone in the music industry i know what i am talking about lol

Written By: Howard on 08/23/12 at 2:19 pm

I think just about almost every genre is considered "dance music".

Written By: Creeder on 08/23/12 at 3:21 pm

I think artists like Florence + the Machine, Foster the People, Lana Del Rey, M83, Fun., Gotye, Beach House are gonna be big in 2013-2016.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/23/12 at 6:02 pm

I think artists like Florence + the Machine, Foster the People, Lana Del Rey, M83, Fun., Gotye, Beach House are gonna be big in 2013-2016.

Florence + the Machine is already big,  Lana del ray could be big,  Gotye is huge however he only has one charting song.  But yes that time of music is going to be the template. If you have ever visted calfornia in the last year there is a huge  hippy movement going on.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/24/12 at 1:38 am

Why are people saying 2013 to "2016" though?  ??? How do you know for sure when the popularity goes away? Where are you people getting 2016 from?  ;D

Written By: Shiv on 08/24/12 at 11:16 am

Why are people saying 2013 to "2016" though?  ??? How do you know for sure when the popularity goes away? Where are you people getting 2016 from?  ;D

Because that's the core 10s. Although I would also include 2017.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/24/12 at 12:33 pm

Because that's the core 10s. Although I would also include 2017.

I am basing this off what happened in 2000s  with 2003 -2006 being one era
also the 90s

1993-1996 as the grunge/gangsta era

Written By: Howard on 08/24/12 at 1:20 pm

It's just music that we think that will be popular within the next 5 years or so.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/24/12 at 1:49 pm

I am basing this off what happened in 2000s  with 2003 -2006 being one era
also the 90s

1993-1996 as the grunge/gangsta era

I see, but wasn't 2000s music era from 2003-2008? What happened in 2006? Electro/Autotune Pop era started 2008 and before that, glam rap was in from 2003. I don't know enough about the 90s, but it seemed that Urban music was popular throughout the entire decade hence the term "The Golden Age of Hip Hop." 93' to 96' was still rap dominant and R&B seemed to stick to the decade from the early 90s all the way to the early 00s. In terms of the billboard charts, there only seems to be minimal grunge music compared to Hip Hop.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/24/12 at 2:59 pm

I see, but wasn't 2000s music era from 2003-2008? What happened in 2006? Electro/Autotune Pop era started 2008 and before that, glam rap was in from 2003. I don't know enough about the 90s, but it seemed that Urban music was popular throughout the entire decade hence the term "The Golden Age of Hip Hop." 93' to 96' was still rap dominant and R&B seemed to stick to the decade from the early 90s all the way to the early 00s. In terms of the billboard charts, there only seems to be minimal grunge music compared to Hip Hop.

Yes my bad i ment 2003-2008 although Sexy back was  and Sos  kinda laid the trends ahead of time

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/12 at 5:13 pm

i have this post bookmarked so when it happens i can  show you over and over again.

You just keep dreaming that

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/24/12 at 6:36 pm

You just keep dreaming that

I work for Interscope i know so

also i have worked with Havana Brown and she is not doing so well in the $$$$ for us

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/12 at 7:35 am

I work for Interscope

Does Jimmy Iovine know that?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/25/12 at 10:15 am

Does Jimmy Iovine know that?

Ive only met jimmy once  I am under Cherry Tree Records a division of interscope .
Ive been working as A&R for 2 years.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/25/12 at 12:58 pm

I do notice rock and indie trying to get into the mainstream the past 2 years or so.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/26/12 at 3:46 pm

In 2009, everybody thought Owl City was the next big thing and his sound and style would be huge in the 2010s.  It turns out he was a one hit wonder on Top 40 but has remained popular in contemporary Christian circles.  His new song with Carly Rae Jepsen would have went nowhere if not for the success of "Call Me Maybe".

Everybody thought Lady Gaga would be the Madonna of the 2010s but her weirdness and over-pandering to her gay audience has brought her from the greatest superstar on the planet down to a niche artist.

People thought we were transitioning into a time when heavier electronic music such as trance/techno would have a chance in the mainstream, but that hope was quickly buried by the explosion of teen/Disney-esque electropop artists like Katy Perry and Carly Rae Jepsen.  You also can't discredit Rebecca Black's influence on current music.  Though "Friday" was horrible, its musical style and theme has been adopted by many of the female-oriented electropop artists of today.

The truth is, we don't know what the future holds as far as music is concerned.  Current trends show that teeny-bopper electronic dance music such as "Call Me Maybe" will dominate for the foreseeable future, but we really can't predict beyond 2014.  As fast as electronic dance music exploded on the scene and buried hip-hop in 2009, it could be buried by the next big trend just as fast.  The thing is I don't see that "next big trend" anywhere on the horizon right now.  That doesn't mean it couldn't pop up sometime in 2013.

What music needs is more male oriented music.  Today's Top 40 is the most female and gay male oriented I ever remember it being.  I have been listening mostly to urban radio because it beats today's Disney-esque Top 40 any day.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/27/12 at 6:58 am

I think we are going back to the basics in rock, hip-hop, and R&B. It's already starting to seem that way. I just bought the new album by Trey Songz, "Chapter V", and I'm thinking it's been a long time since a good solid R&B album has been released. It sounds like something that could have come out in the late 90's/early 00's.

Written By: belmont22 on 08/27/12 at 2:14 pm

I predict more Owl City, Ellie Goulding and Carly Rae Jepsen hits.  8)

Written By: belmont22 on 08/27/12 at 2:23 pm

I think we are going back to the basics in rock, hip-hop, and R&B. It's already starting to seem that way. I just bought the new album by Trey Songz, "Chapter V", and I'm thinking it's been a long time since a good solid R&B album has been released. It sounds like something that could have come out in the late 90's/early 00's.

I hope not. That sounds so boring!  :P 8-P

Written By: tnf on 08/29/12 at 9:19 am

I think we are going back to the basics in rock, hip-hop, and R&B.

Hopefully.

I'm especially hoping for a loudness war backlash (which often goes along with electropop and autotune).

Written By: Creeder on 08/29/12 at 4:48 pm

Is rock era over?

Written By: Emman on 08/29/12 at 9:08 pm

Is rock era over?

I think so, there is little room left for innovation in traditional rock music, same thing happened to jazz around the late '70s/'80s and I think it happened to rock in the late '90s/'00s.

There is still innovation in electronic music and hip-hop though, like the gnarly bass distortions and mirco-edits/glitches in dubstep.

Written By: bigdsketch on 08/29/12 at 9:39 pm

Yes my bad i ment 2003-2008 although Sexy back was  and Sos  kinda laid the trends ahead of time

Thats true. Its kinda like how Janet Jackson's "Nasty" laid the New Jack trend ahead of time in '86.

Written By: Creeder on 08/30/12 at 7:58 am

I think so, there is little room left for innovation in traditional rock music, same thing happened to jazz around the late '70s/'80s and I think it happened to rock in the late '90s/'00s.

There is still innovation in electronic music and hip-hop though, like the gnarly bass distortions and mirco-edits/glitches in dubstep.

Here is what some rock stars have to say about that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsEJgWYNXTc&feature=g-all-u

Written By: thenewtattoo on 08/31/12 at 12:14 pm

that video said what i said

INDIE ROCK IS BEING BACKED BIG TIME

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/12/12 at 11:43 pm

Indie rock and alternative may be like Nu Metal and Alternative rock was in the early 2000s. It might just be in for a year or two wit a few good songs but it may not carry on throughout the 2010s.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/13/12 at 12:28 am

Time will tell...but there is still some diversity, don't forget that.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/13/12 at 12:47 pm

Indie rock and alternative may be like Nu Metal and Alternative rock was in the early 2000s. It might just be in for a year or two wit a few good songs but it may not carry on throughout the 2010s.

psyc pop    i ment not indie rock

Psyc pop is going to be the trend

Written By: bchris02 on 09/13/12 at 1:58 pm

The jazz era was on its way out by the middle fifties and was dead by the end of the sixties. Beyond that jazz was a niche genre which it remains to this day. Jazz had a long 40 year run as the dominant genre. Rock may be nearing that point but it's also still very popular...just not on the radio. A lot of younger people, especially guys are rejecting top 40 right now. Not sure if that is a cause or an effect of the extremely female and gay dominated pop culture of today.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/13/12 at 2:11 pm

I think the tenties have a good chance of being indie/indie folk's time in the spotlight. One band in particular looks like it has the potential to rise and become a defining band of the decade. Could be we looking at a future massive band right here?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Last_Night_on_Earth.jpg

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/13/12 at 5:36 pm

I think the tenties have a good chance of being indie/indie folk's time in the spotlight. One band in particular looks like it has the potential to rise and become a defining band of the decade. Could be we looking at a future massive band right here?

it already is at the moment its creeping in.  Eventually the style will be adopted by more and more.  Kanye Wests Niggas in Paris video has like 60s  psychedelic type effects .

Written By: tv on 09/15/12 at 6:34 pm

The jazz era was on its way out by the middle fifties and was dead by the end of the sixties. Beyond that jazz was a niche genre which it remains to this day. Jazz had a long 40 year run as the dominant genre. Rock may be nearing that point but it's also still very popular...just not on the radio. A lot of younger people, especially guys are rejecting top 40 right now. Not sure if that is a cause or an effect of the extremely female and gay dominated pop culture of today.
Yeah Mainstream Music its seem like its more directed to suburban teen girls these days. Teen Girls do consume alot of products so maybe thats where A&R's at the record labels want to cater to that audience.

I did see a couple of black teen girls wearing Justin Bieber back-packs the other day. That caught me off guard. I am a crossing guard for a public school so I see what the kids are listening to music wise. A couple of the girls like urban pop or Rick Ross and a few people like techno.

Written By: tv on 09/15/12 at 6:43 pm

Yeah the late 70's/early 80's period was stuff like George Benson, Al Jarreau, and Herb Alpert. Kenny G was around after those 3 guys faded out in the mainstream. I like George Benson's music and Jarreau had a few good gems.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/15/12 at 11:29 pm

mhm

Written By: watertowater on 09/19/12 at 8:58 am

I think more by summer 2013. If you remember the change between 2002 and 2003, it felt the first half of 2003 was a different world than the second half. Changes usually take place over summers.

Well, I could say the same about 2008. The first half of 2008 still had many mid-00s holdovers. There were songs made back then which sound really old now, like Rihanna's Take a Bow. Late 2008 was when electropop really blew up.

To see the difference between the two halves of 2008, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_2008_(U.S.)

Written By: Shiv on 09/19/12 at 10:00 am

Well, I could say the same about 2008. The first half of 2008 still had many mid-00s holdovers. There were songs made back then which sound really old now, like Rihanna's Take a Bow. Late 2008 was when electropop really blew up.

To see the difference between the two halves of 2008, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_2008_(U.S.)

Wow, that's dated. What a huge contrast with just a year or 2 later!

Written By: Creeder on 09/19/12 at 1:55 pm

Wow, that's dated. What a huge contrast with just a year or 2 later!

Not so dated, most of the performers could have a top hit right now (Flo Rida, Usher, Lil Wayne, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Pink, Britney Spears, Beyoncé).
Maybe the sound is a little more electronic/indie right now, but the difference isn't that huge.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 7:43 pm

Not so dated, most of the performers could have a top hit right now (Flo Rida, Usher, Lil Wayne, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Pink, Britney Spears, Beyoncé).
Maybe the sound is a little more electronic/indie right now, but the difference isn't that huge.

Would you say after 2013? ???

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/19/12 at 8:12 pm

Honestly, Early 2000s all the way up to 2007 sounds overall very similar to me. 2007 is pretty much a different world and era. 2008 is when music really changed and i don't think we will see a dramatic change until at least the late 10's but I think it will slowly change and we will see a few newer styles next year. I hope mainstream autotuned music dies off a bit.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/20/12 at 12:41 am

Honestly, Early 2000s all the way up to 2007 sounds overall very similar to me. 2007 is pretty much a different world and era. 2008 is when music really changed and i don't think we will see a dramatic change until at least the late 10's but I think it will slowly change and we will see a few newer styles next year. I hope mainstream autotuned music dies off a bit.

the first few months of 2007 were the same as 2006 though. But there is a change right now in 2012 and you do not see it. It is very hard to be in the middle of something and take it all in from all perspectives  esp when you can only see in one direction and have no reference. But its going to be a more fun relaxed era.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/20/12 at 11:54 pm

the first few months of 2007 were the same as 2006 though. But there is a change right now in 2012 and you do not see it. It is very hard to be in the middle of something and take it all in from all perspectives  esp when you can only see in one direction and have no reference. But its going to be a more fun relaxed era.

I think he was meaning that 2007 is part of the pre-2008 era, which it is.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/20/12 at 11:58 pm

I think he was meaning that 2007 is part of the pre-2008 era, which it is.

Yeah exactly. 2007 is a totally different era to me and it had totally different culture than the 2008-up era.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/22/12 at 4:39 pm

Yeah exactly. 2007 is a totally different era to me and it had totally different culture than the 2008-up era.

I agree

Written By: watertowater on 09/23/12 at 12:31 am

So mid 90s 3.0?  ::)

So which period was mid 90s 2.0?

Written By: Creeder on 09/23/12 at 1:50 am

Mid 2000s was mid 90s 2.0.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/23/12 at 11:21 am

Mid 2000s was mid 90s 2.0.

mid 2000s was not  mid 90s 2.0 XD

more like 1999 part 2 lol

Written By: belmont22 on 09/23/12 at 3:26 pm

mid 2000s was not  mid 90s 2.0 XD

more like 1999 part 2 lol

Lol what? I think people under-estimate how old 1999 was. It was actually significantly different from even 2002, not hugely so but it had a connection to as far back as 1992 that 2001 onwards utterly lacked.

Written By: tv on 09/23/12 at 7:18 pm

Rap music wasn't really popular in 1999-2000 except for the early part of 1999 in replying to the last 4-5 posts. I remember stuff like Puffy, Jay-Z, and Eve being popular in the real early part of 1999. Eve's first album in early 1999 went number #1 on the Billboatd 200  album chart right out of the gate. The rap music explosion in he 00's was like March of 2003-early 2006 and 2007-mid 2008 and than it died out after that.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/23/12 at 9:31 pm

Rap music wasn't really popular in 1999-2000 except for the early part of 1999 in replying to the last 4-5 posts. I remember stuff like Puffy, Jay-Z, and Eve being popular in the real early part of 1999. Eve's first album in early 1999 went number #1 on the Billboatd 200  album chart right out of the gate. The rap music explosion in he 00's was like March of 2003-early 2006 and 2007-mid 2008 and than it died out after that.

No, Rap was very popular 1999-2000. That was Eminem's peak. He is one of the most influential rappers alive and he was big and popular around that time, 1999-2000. One of his best albums, The Marshall Mathers LP, was released in May of 2000.

Written By: watertowater on 09/24/12 at 4:20 am

I guess Shiv was referring to the 2001-04 period. 2001-04 had a dark, mid-90sesque vibe to it.

Written By: tv on 09/25/12 at 4:31 pm

I guess Shiv was referring to the 2001-04 period. 2001-04 had a dark, mid-90sesque vibe to it.
It kinda had a 96-98 feel yeah(2001-2004 era) but mixed in was the bling-bling stuff of the 00's too at least for 2004 maybe going back to far as spring or summer of 2003. 2001-2002 didn't have the bling-bling feel to it.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/26/12 at 11:55 am

It kinda had a 96-98 feel yeah(2001-2004 era) but mixed in was the bling-bling stuff of the 00's too at least for 2004 maybe going back to far as spring or summer of 2003. 2001-2002 didn't have the bling-bling feel to it.

2001-late 2004

did indeed have a mid 90 retro feel to it  but it is very watered down

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/26/12 at 6:59 pm

2001-late 2004

did indeed have a mid 90 retro feel to it  but it is very watered down

I think it kind of felt like a part-aftermath and part-watered down version of the mid-90s.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/26/12 at 9:53 pm

I don't get why people think the early '00s was so '90s.  Things were different in 1995 than even 2001.  The only year of the '00s that was remotely '90s was 2000 but even it fits in more with the '00s than it does the mid-'90s.  The change to '00s culture happened in the late '90s, when euro-dance gave way to hip-hop and boybands, and when Jncos and oversized t-shirts gave way to Abercrombie & Fitch.  Think about it...you could dress like you did in 2000 even today and you wouldn't look too out of place.  You could NOT dress like you did in 1997.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/26/12 at 10:39 pm

I don't get why people think the early '00s was so '90s.  Things were different in 1995 than even 2001.  The only year of the '00s that was remotely '90s was 2000 but even it fits in more with the '00s than it does the mid-'90s.  The change to '00s culture happened in the late '90s, when euro-dance gave way to hip-hop and boybands, and when Jncos and oversized t-shirts gave way to Abercrombie & Fitch.  Think about it...you could dress like you did in 2000 even today and you wouldn't look too out of place.  You could NOT dress like you did in 1997.

I agree. But there were some holdovers.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/28/12 at 4:14 pm

Well we know Gangnam Style will carry on it's popularity til' at least the summer of 2013.  :P Then again, it isn't really electro-pop, it's more K-Pop. I predict Call Me Maybe will stay on the charts til' early 2013.

Written By: tv on 09/28/12 at 6:26 pm

Well we know Gangnam Style will carry on it's popularity til' at least the summer of 2013.  :P Then again, it isn't really electro-pop, it's more K-Pop. I predict Call Me Maybe will stay on the charts til' early 2013.
Yeah electro-pop faded somewhere at the end of 2010 or maybe somewhere in 2011.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/28/12 at 8:03 pm

Yeah electro-pop faded somewhere at the end of 2010 or maybe somewhere in 2011.

Well then what is Katy Perry and Nikki Minaj and every other second song on the American Top 40 now?  ??? It seems Electropop is still very much in. The only true popular songs that aren't really electro is like Call Me Maybe and those songs by One Direction. 2012 seems no different than 2011 and it still seems like a predominant electrop-pop year in music only worse imo. Who really know's if it will fade by next year but a lot of people are predicting it will.

Written By: tv on 09/28/12 at 8:17 pm

Well then what is Katy Perry and Nikki Minaj and every other second song on the American Top 40 now?  ??? It seems Electropop is still very much in. The only true popular songs that aren't really electro is like Call Me Maybe and those songs by One Direction. 2012 seems no different than 2011 and it still seems like a predominant electrop-pop year in music only worse imo. Who really know's if it will fade by next year but a lot of people are predicting it will.
Nicki Minaj is not electro-pop she is R&B/Hip-Hop or Pop-Rap. Katy Perry I would agree with.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/28/12 at 8:21 pm

Nicki Minaj is not electro-pop she is R&B/Hip-Hop or Pop-Rap. Katy Perry I would agree with.

Starships sounds Electro to me  :P Especially with the autotune.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/28/12 at 9:54 pm

Nicki Minaj is very much electropop.  She got her start in rap, but urban radio stations don't play "Starships" or "Pound the Alarm".  They do however play "Bees in the Trap."

There is really no difference in music from late-2008 through today.  Early 2008 is a different story.

Written By: tnf on 09/29/12 at 2:29 am

Well then what is Katy Perry and Nikki Minaj and every other second song on the American Top 40 now?  ??? It seems Electropop is still very much in. The only true popular songs that aren't really electro is like Call Me Maybe and those songs by One Direction. 2012 seems no different than 2011 and it still seems like a predominant electrop-pop year in music only worse imo.

Well said. :)

The situation here in The Netherlands is almost the same. Turn on the national Dutch music videos station (here called 'Xcite'), and you'll see exactly what you're describing above.

Although we had two Brazilian, latin sound nr 1 hits, this year (Gustavo Lima, Michael Télo). I don't know if that was also the case in the USA.

Check for new replies or respond here...